buddy 125 fuel gage

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

issue31

buddy 125 fuel gage

Post by issue31 »

:roll: How accurate are Buddy 125 fuel gages? How far can you get when half red, or not quite on bottom. Any information appreciated. Also how full do you fill it? Just up to the neck? thanks issue31

Work is white man's invention
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

My gas gauge is fairly accurate as far as when it is empty is concerned. However, the first half takes almost twice as long to go through as the second half. I've never actually run out of gas, though.

AS far as filling is concerned, that is something that has been discussed here numerous times. Different people have had different experiences. Me, personally, I fill that sucker til it won't take another drop and I've never had a problem.

Welcome to Modern Buddy. Good scootin'

Howard
Iron Butt Association Member Number 42256
Club - The Sky Island Riders.
Publisher: The Scooter 'Zine thescooterzine.com
issue31

Post by issue31 »

:cry: I found out the hard way! When it is half way down in the red add gas! I let it go all the way down and came hone on fumes..The last half goes a lot faster then the first! :wink:

To soon old, to late smart!
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

On the one hand, I like the concept of Buddy's automatic fuel-shutoff for convenience, but on the other hand, I'd sure like to be able to switch to a reserve. I guess since PGO provided us with a gas gauge, they assumed we'd never be in doubt about our fuel availability. :)
weirdsong1

Post by weirdsong1 »

I'm definitely curious about the actual size of the gas tank. If I fill up my Buddy when it's most of the way into the red (if not on E), it's still barely a gallon fill up. People on this forum say they have filled up 1.3 and 1.4 gallons, but I've never even reach 1.05 because my fuel gauge is essentially on E...I can't imagine going another 25-30 miles on E...but maybe.

Anyways, I don't really use the fuel gauge for anything other than a reminder. I fill up based on miles traveled...generally between 80 and 90 a fill up, putting in about .9 - .95 gallons.
"You can arrest me, but you'll never defeat the Cobras. Nothing can defeat a motorcycle gang!"
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Why not find out what's really in the tank when the needle indicates "E" by putting an unpainted wooden stick down the filler opening until it touches bottom. Pull out the stick and see how much of it is wet with gas. I did this early on with my Blur because I don't like surprises, especially in the middle of nowhere.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

accuracy :rofl:
Riding is riding
ed85379

Post by ed85379 »

I usually fill up when it is about halfway into E. Maybe a little less than half. Almost always, I manage to get about 0.99-1.1 gallon into it.

Once I drained it down to 1.3 gallon on a fill-up. I'm guessing it is a 1.4-1.5 gallon tank.

As for where I fill it to, I usually get it to *just* over or aligned with the inside lip. Yes, a few times I've had the vapor-lock issue a few times, but it is a very simple fix. If the scooter starts stalling or won't start, just pop the gas-cap. Instant fix. No biggie.
Plisar

Post by Plisar »

Mine is not very accurate. I have driven 15-20 miles on complete empty before and only filled up to less than 1 gallon. Not impressed. :)
goldscott

Post by goldscott »

I've got about 100 entries on Fuelly.com (which I feel is a pretty good sample size), so you can check the typical amount of gas I put in and how many MPGs I'm getting.

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/goldscott/buddy-125/log

I've also found that my odometer is fairly accurate, unlike the speedometer.
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Once the needle is on E, I've got about 18-20 miles before I'm walking/pushing. Somewhere on here is a thread where I deliberately ran my scooter out of gas to get accurate milage info in preparation for a long trip.

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

goldscott wrote:I've got about 100 entries on Fuelly.com (which I feel is a pretty good sample size), so you can check the typical amount of gas I put in and how many MPGs I'm getting.

I've been considering signing up for Fuelly, but I'm afraid my mostly urban riding, shorter distances, will make my MPG less than what I hope it is. You're in Chicago, are you riding in city traffic, or more open roads? Those are some great numbers you posted.
goldscott

Post by goldscott »

BootScootin'FireFighter wrote:
goldscott wrote:I've got about 100 entries on Fuelly.com (which I feel is a pretty good sample size), so you can check the typical amount of gas I put in and how many MPGs I'm getting.

I've been considering signing up for Fuelly, but I'm afraid my mostly urban riding, shorter distances, will make my MPG less than what I hope it is. You're in Chicago, are you riding in city traffic, or more open roads? Those are some great numbers you posted.
I'm mostly riding in traffic. I commute about 15-20 miles out to the suburbs for work everyday, along surface streets (lots of lights, stop & go traffic). I'd say my riding style is more aggressive than conservative, in terms of speed and lane splitting/changing.

One thing that helps those stats is I'm pretty light (130 lbs.) and I've got a completely stock 125.
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

BootScootin'FireFighter wrote:

Every Buddy fillup I've had since owning the scooter has been recorded at Fuelly. Very informative. Interesting how much milage can vary from tank to tank yet the over all average MPG is pretty dang consistent.

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |