any real reason to get the blackjack over the standard buddy

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

bigdaddybud

any real reason to get the blackjack over the standard buddy

Post by bigdaddybud »

im about to buy a new scooter..with the way gas prices are headed...i cant be blowing all my money on petrol...ive been beating myself up a little here...is there any real reason to get the blackjack over the buddy 150? other than the fact that its got a better pipe...and it looks reeaaalllyy sweet...im driving to work 30 miles round trip...would it be more practical to go with the standard buddy? or is it worth the extra loot...pleases help...
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Re: any real reason to get the blackjack over the standard b

Post by jrsjr »

bigdaddybud wrote:or is it worth the extra loot...
How much extra loot are we talking? The Blackjack has better front brakes and better suspension front and rear. It's really the hot Buddy scooter. If you're strictly just looking to save money on gas go for the standard Buddy. It's a truly great little scooter.

EDITed because the word "great" just wasn't enough without bold italics.
Last edited by jrsjr on Sat May 07, 2011 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
jasondavis48108

Post by jasondavis48108 »

also, if your not into modding your scooter yourself but you like the extra the scoot comes with then the blackjack is a great buy. I've heard though, that the Buddy 125 can actually be made to run faster than the buddy 150's. Really, your gonna love whichever one you buy so imo you should just get whichever one appeals to you more.
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

I still think that a Buddy 125 is the best bang for the buck. I'm not knocking the Jack or the 150's, but to me the 125 is just the best all around value in the 125 - 150cc range.
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
Dean F

Post by Dean F »

150's you can take on the expressways legally in most states if you choose to. (Let's not get into the should you or shouldn't you!)

There have been some issues with the Prima pipe.

The suspension on the Blackjack is supposed to be wonderful and the whole extra package is alot cheaper than buying the individual parts.

Good luck!
Member 2715
Chrome Rear Rack
Genuine Top Case
Black Grips
Chrome Front Rack
Garmin GPS & Ram Mount
PIAA HS1
13g Dr. Pully Sliders
Everstart 9-BS AGM Battery
jmazza

Re: any real reason to get the blackjack over the standard b

Post by jmazza »

jrsjr wrote: If you're strictly just looking to save money on gas go for the standard Buddy. It's a truly great little scooter.

EDITed because the word "great" just wasn't enough without bold italics.

Should've used ALL CAPS TOO. Because it's THAT GOOD!

bigdaddybud,
Your initial post sounds like you're looking for a scooter for at least partly economic reasons. The Blackjack is pretty great for the reasons you and others have named but I'm not sure you're really going to notice the performance differences all that much in stop and go commuting.

My 125, properly maintained, hauls on the 45mph surface streets I take every day. Very rarely do I even have a chance to hit top speed with it.

The Prima pipe, as mentioned, has been a source of at least a few weld failures. It seemed limited to a design that's since been changed but we've seen reports of some failures on the new ones as well.

The bigger front brake seems awesome but it's pretty widely considered that the stock Buddy front brake is more than adequate so it's debatable whether that's an actual real-world performance increase.

I haven't felt the suspension upgrades but I can say that I wouldn't mind my Buddy's ride being a bit softer. With a 30 mile round trip each day that might be the thing you would love the most about the Blackjack.

Also worth mentioning is that the Blackjack is discontinued so if you want one, this is your chance. I don't know that it will increase resale value all that much but it's something to consider. When I bought my Italia it was a (slightly) more expensive option over the other Buddys- and all it had was a different color scheme. It was the one I really wanted so I paid the extra for it. I think your decision will come down to that as well.
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

I'd say the buddy 125 is plenty fast, probably about the same as a regular 150. I've never had a single issue with my Prima welds even with my, uh, "sporadic" riding style. As mentioned, the shocks are supposedly much better on the Black Jack, so I suggest a test ride if possible, that would surely help you decide.
bigdaddybud

Post by bigdaddybud »

went with the blackjack...got a really good deal on her too...2599.99
no warranty but only 40 mi. think i made the right choice...what do you guys think?
:D
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

^ i think you made the right choice. no warranty necessary, most likely. have some trouble? post here and fix it yourself. beyond any unlikely catastrophic failure you cause yourself chances are any potential warranty issue will be minor and something you can handle relatively cheaply

reason to choose it over a 'Bud 125? well, its more badass out of the box :ninja:
Riding is riding
laxer

Post by laxer »

Color me jealous, GREAT scoot at a good price.
toycoma98

Post by toycoma98 »

HI, i just want to show off my 125

JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

you ever drag a toe while wearing them sandals? :shock:

outrageous scoot, btw. i like the look of the cleaned up tail
Riding is riding
CWO4GUNNER

Post by CWO4GUNNER »

So IYO there is really no power performance difference between the Blackjack and International, not even with the performance pipe. In that case to me the color scheme difference is major, one reason the International caught my eye especially the 2 tones.
Raiderfn31

Post by Raiderfn31 »

JHScoot wrote:^ i think you made the right choice. no warranty necessary, most likely. have some trouble? post here and fix it yourself. beyond any unlikely catastrophic failure you cause yourself chances are any potential warranty issue will be minor and something you can handle relatively cheaply

reason to choose it over a 'Bud 125? well, its more badass out of the box :ninja:
Hit the nail on the head brother. BADASS out tha box. Gonna get mine this week!!!! The matte black really sets it off for me too. My helmet is matte black. Not the one in my pants, the one I place on my head.:lol:
"When your lawyer looks at you like you deserve whats coming, you may begin to sweat."
Raiderfn31

Post by Raiderfn31 »

CWO4GUNNER wrote:So IYO there is really no power performance difference between the Blackjack and International, not even with the performance pipe. In that case to me the color scheme difference is major, one reason the International caught my eye especially the 2 tones.
I love the Pamp color scheme. The dealer I went to this weekend had a Pamp for 3500 otd.....I instead had him transfer a BlackJack from another dealership. Pipe, rear shock, forks, and front disc upgrade sold me.
"When your lawyer looks at you like you deserve whats coming, you may begin to sweat."