What have you dragged home in/on your Buddy?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

un_designer

What have you dragged home in/on your Buddy?

Post by un_designer »

So one of the thing that I love about the Buddy is how versatile it can be, and how much you can drag home. Let's here/see pictures of what you've dragged home.

The most I've dragged home so far is a watering can, a bunch of plant pots, and a bag of potting soil.
weaseltamer

Post by weaseltamer »

i took some half grown tulips home in a pot in my front basket. i had to stop 4 times to get sticks to hold the bag over them for wind protection (w/o breaking the stems.) i had to use plenty of my string as well. it was a slow, curvy ride. i think only one broke tho.

actually i've had more stuff on it when i go to Mary Kay classes, my large facial-ing bag just barely fits on the hook. i'm just the right size that my feet fit under the bag and my legs fit behind it. (does that make sense) i can use my legs to help study it in the turns. then a few travel roll up bags in my (previous) back chrome basket and under the seat.
2wheelsgood

Post by 2wheelsgood »

I'm looking forward to what people post here!

I'm hoping to get a scooter later this year, I currently do all my shopping via bike, with a rack and 2 folding wire baskets on the back. That makes a handy platform where to bungee cord lots of stuff (including large bags of dog food).
I also take boxes to the post office and of course get groceries.

So when I look at scooters I'm always thinking "how could one haul stuff on it?!" When the time comes, I'll get saddlebags and a back rack and try to rig the thing for maximum cargo space.
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

well I can tell you WHAT not to bring: a growler of beer. This is a large glass jug that micro breweries will fill with their own beer for carry out. I had one in a padded cooler strapped in my rear basket and the bottom of the glass cleanly broke from the vibration (or perhaps a big bump) spilling beer everywhere! Putting it sideways in the bucket is an issue too b/c the bumps shake it up and spews out the top despite being sealed. Other than that we have been really loaded down...from big bags of cat food, to a case of wine (distributed though out the Buddy), flowers, a computer , a suitcase rolling bag (short distance) and so on.
cowgirl helmet

Post by cowgirl helmet »

My Buddy has the front and rear chrome racks (Thanks for installing 'em, CmJ!), and last night I scooted to some friends' house for 4th of July with a gallon of potato salad bungeed onto the rear rack. The leftovers came home with me the same way.
maryvu

Post by maryvu »

I put a large-ish ceramic bowl padded with a fleece jacket under the seat yesterday. Not only did it fit, it fit right side up! I could have actually had potato salad in it. But, we opted to assemble it at the party.

Other things that have made it: bacon, flip flops, computer, thai food, a 2nd helmet, 2 full sized scrabble boards between my legs (that was a bit of a squeeze, but i pulled it off!) and fresh duck eggs.

After my rear rack broke with my Givi case, I put the original hardware back on, and went to Ortlieb motorcycle saddlebags. These things ROCK... I added some extra reflective tape, of course. I'll post a photo shortly.

http://www.ortliebusa.com/cartgenie/pro ... d=59&cid=2

cheers, mary
Keys

Post by Keys »

Overnight bag, sleeping bag, jackets, two pairs of uniform trousers, 7 uniform shirts, 6 t-shirts, a necktie, a belt, a pair of handcuffs and case and a pair of boots. And carried it 140 miles home from Phoenix. Uphill.

--Keys 8)
"Life without music would Bb"
krylonics

Post by krylonics »

I get 40 lbs. dog food bags on my Buddy. I just set it up on the floor board and stays in place. I do use my knees to pin it against the legshield. Not very safe yet effective. Oh, and my bowling ball, pretty much the same way but I put the bag handles in the hook, the sits on the floor so the hook doesn't get the weight of it, it just helps it stay stable.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

I sometimes ride 250koala's Buddy. As for carry homes - Mostly groceries. Still haven't used the front rack; don't have a back rack. However, the amount of stuff you can put under the seat, plus having the use of that hook to hang grocery bags from... been able to take anything I've wanted along
2wheelsgood

Post by 2wheelsgood »

> Ortlieb motorcycle saddlebags.

awesome! This is the bike pannier brand my touring friends swear by. Good to know they make them for motorcycles/scooters.
thing2

Post by thing2 »

I've "heard" that a 12-pack of beer (cans) might just fit snugly under the seat. :wink:
brat

Post by brat »

I have carried home a 40lbs bag of dog food, a globe (which is a bear to tie down ;) ), a medium size art portfolio and a piece of Plexiglas. I think these are the oddest things I have carried at one time or another. I have had lot of groceries, dinners, lunches, oh yeah and flowers! I found that the front hook is a great thing. For flowers I get a bag with them, paper or plastic, and let them stick out of the bag. Than hang the bag from the front hook. The leg shield protects them from the wind and there is still a ton of room for my legs and feet which help to steady them. 8)
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

Yesterday I dragged home a large quantity of water distributed all over the Buddy as well as soaked into my pants, jacket, gloves, all over my helmet and backpack.
Kevin
AYPWIP?
cowgirl helmet

Post by cowgirl helmet »

Hook? What hook? :wha:

My Buddy has no hook. It has that nice basket-y thing under the handlebars, but no hook.

Is this an innovation for 2007?
KidDynomite

Post by KidDynomite »

A drunk girl.
You don't wanna get mixed up with a guy like me. I'm a loner Dottie, a REBEL.
EBee

Post by EBee »

Keys: Oooooo, handcuffs.

Cowgirl: You gotsa hook...underneath your glove box, I hang my helmet on it when I'm too lazy to lock it up.

Lobsta: I ended up in that thunderstorm on the afternoon of the 4th, I was soaking wet all down the front, bone dry on the back. Whoo ha!!

:bat:
"If everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane."--Steven Wright
250koala

Post by 250koala »

Hey Cowgirl, check in the basket thingy. right in the center. I didn't see it at first either. Also if you pop the seat open towards the front of the bike under the seat is a small post you can hang your helmet by the D ring and shut the seat. Works well with two helmets also.

I carry 8 small traffic cones under my seat. ( For practicing)
un_designer

Post by un_designer »

hooks huh? i never noticed it either... does anyone have a digital or phone cam handy? i'm at work (buddy's at home) so i can't just run out and look. but i'm curious...
EBee

Post by EBee »

un_designer wrote:hooks huh? i never noticed it either... does anyone have a digital or phone cam handy? i'm at work (buddy's at home) so i can't just run out and look. but i'm curious...
It's right at knee level, directly under your open glove box. ALL Buddys have one. Really. :wink:
"If everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane."--Steven Wright
cowgirl helmet

Post by cowgirl helmet »

Is the glove box the little baskety thing? :oops:

Right now, what I've got in that little baskety thing happens to be . . . a pair of gloves.
un_designer

Post by un_designer »

oh. THAT hook. i thought someone said that it's near or under the seat.

it's only been semi-useful for me thus far. the hook's not "hooked" enough to keep things that i attach to it from just falling off. I wish there were a way to have the hook be more like a carabiner, so that you can truly secure items to it.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

un_designer wrote:oh. THAT hook. i thought someone said that it's near or under the seat.

it's only been semi-useful for me thus far. the hook's not "hooked" enough to keep things that i attach to it from just falling off. I wish there were a way to have the hook be more like a carabiner, so that you can truly secure items to it.
You can buy a metal hook to mount under your seat. Something like this:

http://www.scooterworks.com/Hook_Helmet_P1208.cfm

As far as beer under the seat, I'd just worry because it can get pretty damn hot under there. Don't want to skunk your beer!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
un_designer

Post by un_designer »

that link you posted, specifically states that it's for vespas... however, you just gave me an idea :D

i just went and looked at the plastic hook by the open glove compartment on the buddy, and it looks like it's just a screwed-on part. i'm going to look at the hardware store and see if there's a way to get a better hook and screw it in there.
KidDynomite

Post by KidDynomite »

ericalm wrote:As far as beer under the seat, I'd just worry because it can get pretty damn hot under there. Don't want to skunk your beer!
Step 1) Buy Coors Light's award-winning 18-pack Plastic Bottle Cooler Box
Step 2) Lift beer and liner out of box.
Step 3) Place liner in underseat storage.
Step 4) Remove as much beer as needed to add adequate ice.
Step 5) Add ice.
Step 6) Scoot to the Rally.
Step 7) Make tons of friends when you open your seat and start handing cold beer to your mates.
weaseltamer

Post by weaseltamer »

KidDynomite wrote: Step 7) Make tons of friends when you open your seat and start handing cold beer to your mates.
wait... you mean this is all i need to be popular? i knew i should've listened to my dad
Keys

Post by Keys »

EBee...yep, handcuffs. Gotta have 'em in law enforcement...

--Keys 8)
"Life without music would Bb"
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

un_designer wrote:that link you posted, specifically states that it's for vespas... however, you just gave me an idea :D
It's a replacement part for some Vespas, but can be added just about anywhere you can screw it in. I'd be a little worried about hanging anything too heavy from it if it were just screwed into the plastic. Could easily be reinforced from the inside with some kind of makeshift mounting plate, though.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
KidDynomite

Post by KidDynomite »

weaseltamer wrote:
KidDynomite wrote: Step 7) Make tons of friends when you open your seat and start handing cold beer to your mates.
wait... you mean this is all i need to be popular? i knew i should've listened to my dad
Yeah, especially if you ride with the Crusaders. Well that a popping a cap in a tree. In your conditioin people will get the wrong impression. They'll think you were drinking and scootin'! Any luck on finding a new/used Buddy?

On the hook note, I bought a couple of key chains with caribiners on them. Put the hooks on the posts under your seat and now you have two additional hooks hanging from under your seat.

Similar to these. http://cgi.ebay.com/Lot-of-12-Sports-Ba ... otohosting
cowgirl helmet

Post by cowgirl helmet »

Well, whadaya know. I do have a hook.

The things I learn from this forum . . .
BlueMark

Post by BlueMark »

KidDynomite wrote:
ericalm wrote:As far as beer under the seat, I'd just worry because it can get pretty damn hot under there. Don't want to skunk your beer!
Step 1) Buy Coors Light's award-winning 18-pack Plastic Bottle Cooler Box
Step 2) Lift beer and liner out of box.
Step 3) Place liner in underseat storage.
Step 4) Remove as much beer as needed to add adequate ice.
Step 5) Add ice.
Step 6) Scoot to the Rally.
Step 7) Make tons of friends when you open your seat and start handing cold beer to your mates.
I've done the same with a soft cooler and my Blur's pet carrier. I love seeing my motorcycling buddies condescension turn to envy when I pull up the seat and hand them a cold one.
castleton

latching hook

Post by castleton »

I've been looking high & low for a "latch" or "snap hook" that would screw right in to the same place as the stock plastic hook. Nothing even close. But I did find this:

http://www.homedecorhardware.com/wh.html

I got the 15.90 one, and it fits right over the same space, although the bigger one may be the better choice. I screwed right into the plastic, but I'm not expecting heavy weights, I usually rest things like Chinese food right on the floor! But I wanted something to ensure that the bag wouldn't slip off the hook (which has happened to me).

Rather pricey, but it works!
Pam
Attachments
small & large latch hooks
small & large latch hooks
latch hook.jpg (3.67 KiB) Viewed 1441 times
--Pam

"You're not the boss of me, now."