Buddy Let Me Down

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Howardr

Buddy Let Me Down

Post by Howardr »

So I got off work at midnight a couple of nights ago. I live 16 miles from work. Buddy and I are cruising along about 12 miles from hom, enjoying the cool desert night air when . . blooey! My drive belt ceased to exist. The rear wheel locked up and Vuddy and I skidded to a halt.

This isn't the first time this has happened to me so I pushed the bike backward and released the rear wheel and I could push it easily. Started pushing the bike toward home.

I texted my wife to let her know that I had some mechanical difficulties. She was already asleep.

I had pushed the two of us about 2 miles when a good Samaritan pulled over and asked if I needed a lift. The two of us got Buddy into the back of his truck. He dropped me about a mile from my house and I pushed the rest of the way home. It was a very exhausting night.

Iron Buddy has 21,000 miles on him and this is my 4th or 5th belt. I had one explode in November. I'm thinking it might be the fact that I have plates from two different variators. I'm buying a Dr Pulley and a new belt as soon as I have the $$.

So, Buddy helped me get some exercise, but I still love my scoot.
Howard
Iron Butt Association Member Number 42256
Club - The Sky Island Riders.
Publisher: The Scooter 'Zine thescooterzine.com
Plisar

Post by Plisar »

Hey Howard,
Sorry to hear about your bad luck. Any idea how much that is going to cost? I'm still new to this and am curious as to what repair costs are like.
Good luck with getting Iron Buddy back on the road!
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

Cost isn't too bad. New variator is less than $150 and a new belt is $50 -$60. It's an easy job so I won't have to take it to the shop.

Howard
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

that was nice that you were able to find help. Around here, I'm never usually far from a bus, metro, zipcar, or fire station if I break down. If I were in your shoes, being that far from home, riding late, and fortunate to know a lot of other riders in the area from the Tucson group. I'd get a contact list of other riders from your group, say like 6 or so, everyone exchange phone numbers, and make an agreement that you can send group text messages out if you're stranded, hopefully someone will be able to come get you. It's an extra little piece of insurance just incase no family or friends can help.

Are there any tow services in the area that specialize in motorcycles? There's a guy in DC who does that, about $50 to tow to the shop in the general metro area. The business card goes right in the ziplock with the insurance and dmv paperwork.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

Get a whole new variator. You shouldnt ever have issues with the belt tearing like that normally. A belt can take around 10,000 with normal wear and still work (but need replacing soon)
sotied

How many miles on a belt??

Post by sotied »

Haven't been around here since last fall, but I've been riding a ton this year on Scootle and figured I'd read some of the latest posts.

Well, having read this post I'm now a little freaked out about miles on my belt.

I'm at 9100 miles on my scoot and would be nonplussed if the belt exploded and locked up my rear wheel.

Do you suggest I replace it now?

Thanks,
Jeff • #2163
Scooter Photo Scavenger Hunter (see Gallery!)
http://www.jeffcutler.com
Dooglas

Re: How many miles on a belt??

Post by Dooglas »

sotied wrote:I'm at 9100 miles on my scoot and would be nonplussed if the belt exploded and locked up my rear wheel. Do you suggest I replace it now?
Probably about time. But equally to the point, it is time and past that you open the variator and blow out accumulated dust around the belt and the clutch. While doing that, it is easy enough to inspect the belt and see if you are at replacement time.
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

Howardr wrote:....Buddy has 21,000 miles on him and this is my 4th or 5th belt. I had one explode in November. I'm thinking it might be the fact that I have plates from two different variators.....
sounds more like...someone let Buddy down :shock: :cry:
Riding is riding
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Howard, have you been running kevlar or rubber belts?
sotied wrote:Haven't been around here since last fall, but I've been riding a ton this year on Scootle and figured I'd read some of the latest posts.

Well, having read this post I'm now a little freaked out about miles on my belt.

I'm at 9100 miles on my scoot and would be nonplussed if the belt exploded and locked up my rear wheel.

Thanks,
Have you been sticking to the recommended service schedule? Belt should be checked every 4K!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

sotied wrote:I'm at 9100 miles on my scoot and would be nonplussed if the belt exploded and locked up my rear wheel.

Absolutely! Not all these stories about the rear wheel locking up have happy endings. Seriously. Even if they check the width of your belt and say it's okay, do the swap. Those belts lead hard lives and they pop unexpectedly sometimes even after they've been pronounced okay.
Last edited by jrsjr on Sun May 08, 2011 3:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
jijifer

Post by jijifer »

that does seem like a lot of belts. would getting a variator be expensive?
gearhead

Post by gearhead »

Rosa's belt finally snapped at 10k miles!

Maybe your crank is running hot, causing the belt to go kaput
ScooterTrash

Post by ScooterTrash »

JHScoot wrote:
Howardr wrote:....Buddy has 21,000 miles on him and this is my 4th or 5th belt. I had one explode in November. I'm thinking it might be the fact that I have plates from two different variators.....
sounds more like...someone let Buddy down :shock: :cry:
Beat me to it lol
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

Dooglas wrote:
sotied wrote:I'm at 9100 miles on my scoot and would be nonplussed if the belt exploded and locked up my rear wheel. Do you suggest I replace it now?
Probably about time. But equally to the point, it is time and past that you open the variator and blow out accumulated dust around the belt and the clutch. While doing that, it is easy enough to inspect the belt and see if you are at replacement time.
I had mine done just shy of 10,000 even though it still had more life. It sounds like a terrible way to break down so it was worth it.
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

ericalm wrote:Howard, have you been running kevlar or rubber belts?
sotied wrote:Haven't been around here since last fall, but I've been riding a ton this year on Scootle and figured I'd read some of the latest posts.

Thanks,
Have you been sticking to the recommended service schedule? Belt should be checked every 4K!
I tried one kevlar belt and it disintegrated after about 2 hundred miles. Been using rubber ever since. I had the bike recently serviced, although I think I only had about 2000 miles on that belt.

Howard
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

peabody99 wrote:
Dooglas wrote:
I had mine done just shy of 10,000 even though it still had more life. It sounds like a terrible way to break down so it was worth it.
+1. For the cost, getting belts changed every other "large" maintenance (every 8K) is well worth it. The transmission will be open and apart anyways, as the rollers and clutch should be checked. An extra $65 in parts every 8K beats the hell out of having one of these break mid-ride.

A broken belt can have disastrous results. This is one reason I avoid kevlar. They may last a bit longer, but are more likely to shred and wrap around your clutch or variator, causing the rear wheel to seize. That would be bad.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
babblefish

Re: Buddy Let Me Down

Post by babblefish »

Howardr wrote: I'm thinking it might be the fact that I have plates from two different variators.
Howard
I think this may be the key quote as to why he's going through so many belts. If the ramp angles of the plates are mismatched, then the belt will be subject to a lot more frictional load/heat due to the fact that each side of the belt is trying to climb up/down the variator plate at different rates.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
jmkjr72

Post by jmkjr72 »

well if the varatior wasnt shimed into proper alingment that would be a big issue
and if the varatior is in proper alinment then i would look at the rear sheaves for issues i know in the clone scoots this is where most of there belt issues come from

and even though my zuma is moded all to heck and beyond i stay very far away from the kevlar belts for some reason they just arent all they claim to be
z 2008 zuma 50
olive 2008 setlla
1979 tomos