50cc derestriction

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

dvcycle

50cc derestriction

Post by dvcycle »

So, the 50's do have a collar on the variator but could someone in the know tell me if the CDI box has a removable rev limiter. If so is it super special or is it like the 2T kymco's where you just unplug a wire and get a few miles an hour faster? And where the hell is the CDI??
Scootin Scott

77cc Kit

Post by Scootin Scott »

I have been told by Scooterworks that there will be a 77cc kit available. According to them, it just bolts right on, and will be under $200 installed.
nate_v

cool

Post by nate_v »

that sounds cool. pardon my newbieness, but what does that extra 27cc's translate to in terms of speed?
dvcycle

No no just stock restritions

Post by dvcycle »

Just trying to remove the un-needed retrictions for my customers. Pennsyvania has no 50cc regulations on performance or speed
xkennx

Re: No no just stock restritions

Post by xkennx »

dvcycle wrote:Just trying to remove the un-needed retrictions for my customers. Pennsyvania has no 50cc regulations on performance or speed
Dont forget to remove the washer in the exhuast system also.
06 Gen Scooters Buddy 125 (sold)
05 Gen Scooters Stella w/sidecar (sold)
05 Vespa ET8
80 Vespa P200 w/ Polini 208
80 Vespa P200 w/ Malossi 210
74 Vespa Sprint 125
74 Vespa Primaveria 125 (broke)
56 Labretta LD 125 (sold)
xkennx

Re: 50cc derestriction

Post by xkennx »

dvcycle wrote:where the hell is the CDI??
Best thing is print out page 13 in your service manual for the buddy 50 for all the wires and you can always backtrac from there.
06 Gen Scooters Buddy 125 (sold)
05 Gen Scooters Stella w/sidecar (sold)
05 Vespa ET8
80 Vespa P200 w/ Polini 208
80 Vespa P200 w/ Malossi 210
74 Vespa Sprint 125
74 Vespa Primaveria 125 (broke)
56 Labretta LD 125 (sold)
Scootin_in_MS

Re: 50cc derestriction

Post by Scootin_in_MS »

Hey, Good luck with your tweaking. Once you start though, you can't stop.

Jody
Last edited by Scootin_in_MS on Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dvcycle

Thank you!!

Post by dvcycle »

That's exactly what I needed to hear!! Nothing like jogging the old memory bank for the easy answers! As soon as I read that I immeadiately remembered how I thought it ran like a restricted Yamaha Vino (for those of you who do not know they are restricted the same way)
And for that other person, We all were emailed the repair books (suposedly) and hard copies were on the way this week, Along with my 7 MCO's we'll see when they show-Sean
Beamie

Re: 77cc Kit

Post by Beamie »

Scootin Scott wrote:I have been told by Scooterworks that there will be a 77cc kit available. According to them, it just bolts right on, and will be under $200 installed.
Right, and "they'll be at the dealers in 2 weeks". LOL
Scootin Scott

Post by Scootin Scott »

Beamie wrote:
Scootin Scott wrote:I have been told by Scooterworks that there will be a 77cc kit available. According to them, it just bolts right on, and will be under $200 installed.
Now I did not say that...did I? They have not given an ETA yet.
golfingirl

Post by golfingirl »

Anyone have an idea on what the top speed will be with the 77cc kit installed. As I understand, the Buddy 50cc goes about 45 mph right outta the box. Is this correct? Plus the 77cc kit... it will go an anticipated :?:
Laura
setbuilder

Post by setbuilder »

I was told by Scooterworks that I could expect faster acceleration and about 10 mph on the top end. I can already break 50 mph so I am guessing 60.
germ

Post by germ »

I just bought a buddy 50cc and I am wondering aside form the modification kit mentioned is there anything I can do to get more power out of this thing. I can get into the 40s now but need a little more power for some hills.
Beamie

Post by Beamie »

Scootin Scott wrote:
Beamie wrote:
Now I did not say that...did I? They have not given an ETA yet.

No you didn't say it; just cluing you in on what to expect.
Look for the trhreads on "accessories".
germ

Post by germ »

He's right! They say in 2 weeks for everything. I waited a month for my buddy to get in. I am not expecting the Accessories or the mod kit anytime soon.
Scootin Scott

Post by Scootin Scott »

I just spoke to Scooterworks again (sister company to Genuine) and I am now told that the new kit will be 70cc (not 77cc). Estimated availability is early October and will be about $100 less then the Pinasco 70cc kit. I was informed that the Pinasco is a better, cooler running aluminum design.
Sailn

Post by Sailn »

Just removed the restriction washer, WOW!! what a huge difference.
My fat ass (210 pounds) was doing over 40 on flat streets today.

If I ever find my torque wrench, we moved and it's in a box SOMEWHERE, I'll finish the derestriction.

The stock pipe is much better than I expected. It is very ridable and the powerband seems pretty wide. It also seems the scooter idles better and starts a bit easier as well.

One thing I really would like to do is change out the fork. I dodn't think it is adjustable, and on some of the rough streets in Philly, it really seems to bottom out too often. Any ideas?
Scootin Scott

70cc

Post by Scootin Scott »

Just got my Buddy 50 de-restricted and a Pinasco 70cc kit installed. I have to go through the new brake-in, however it is a HUGE difference on the low end. Faster take-off with more torque. I am very curious to see what the top end will be. :lol:
golfingirl

Post by golfingirl »

Sweeeet. Let us know when you hit the top end. I'm anxious to hear as we are considering a 50cc Buddy for a second scooter.

Cheers.
Laura
Scootin Scott

Post by Scootin Scott »

I opened it up to see what would happen…..easily got to 45 mph…..on an extended flat stretch, I reached 50 mph……slight downhill, got it to almost 55 mph. :shock: I am very pleased with the 70cc kit. It gives me the additional pep I was looking for to improve two-up riding speed.
Last edited by Scootin Scott on Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Motorsport Scooters
Dealer

Post by Motorsport Scooters »

Most 50cc bikes that do 40-45mph stock can expect a 55-60mph top speed with a good 70cc kit installed. The airbox sounds like it's not very restricted which is good. Any word on exhausts available yet?
Max
Vespa Motorsport
619-280-1718
http://www.scooterwest.com/
#1 source for all things Vespa
dvcycle

Post by dvcycle »

What was the original application for this kit so I can get one? How about variater, belt availability?
Scootin Scott

Post by Scootin Scott »

Pinasco 70cc kit. Contact Scooterworks in Chicago (sister company to Genuine)
ironmask

exhaust washer

Post by ironmask »

Where is the washer located that helps derestricts the stock exhaust that was mentioned? I know this thread is old, thanks for the help.
TVB

Post by TVB »

This video demonstrates to dealers how to prep their 50cc models, which includes (along with a lot of other stuff) how to derestrict them (around 5:00-8:00).

http://vimeo.com/2575002
ironmask

Post by ironmask »

Hey that was very informative. Thanks for the video I watched it completely and now I feel like I got to know my Buddy a lot better! :-)