I pulled the trigger and got the Blackjack

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

TCaruso

I pulled the trigger and got the Blackjack

Post by TCaruso »

After months of debating on weather to get one of the last Blackjacks or a new 170i, the Blackjack won.

I put a down payment in Feb and the rest was on layaway until this past Saturday. Since the 170i is still a no-show, Genuine kind of made my decision for me.

The BJ looks great and the Prima pipe sounds awesome. The only problems I have is that I noticed the rear tail light wasn't seated flush. When I pushed in the right side, the top corner broke off. I'm hoping the warranty covers that.

The second problem is the seat can tax your ass.

Can anyone recommend a new seat? A better padded custom seat would be nice.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Congrats on the new BlackJack! @ the seat thing - maybe think about swapping for a stock Buddy seat. Try that and then go from there with modifications if they're needed.

Again, congrats!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Congrats!

I actually prefer the BlackJack seat, but everyone has different comfort levels. Aside from the other Buddy seats and a lower profile seat (similar to other Buddys), there's not much out there. You can take it to an auto upholstery shop and have them shave it down a bit and put a gel pad in. Seat retains its shape, but it's more comfortable than foam.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
CWO4GUNNER

Post by CWO4GUNNER »

Just recently buying my buddy 150 last week after not following the latest scooter trends since 2007 when I sold my Vino, I thought I got a great deal for $3100 out the door. But I must admit I wish I had did a weeks worth of catchup research becasue if I had known that the new line of Genuine scooters with FI was about to hit that market, I would have definitely waited and bought the 170I. When it comes to fuel system performance and upkeep FI is well worth the wait IMO. But I have no regrets and may even install the throttle body if it becomes an aftermarket option.

But congrats on the Black Jack as it was another one of those choices I would have opted for if I had bothered to research before spot buying on name alone. It was a classic spontaneous buy as I was at my Suzy dealer to just pick up some ordered parts for my B1250, when I saw a whole 2 rows of new Buddy 125 & 150's and talked myself into a test ride I just had to have one LOL.

One other thing I should say in all fairness is that another reason I don't feel bad about it is that it is always a better idea to wait 1 year for after the manufacturer brings out a new line with a major improvement like FI on a product line as any and all bugs will be worked out by the second year without having to suffer through the recalls and dealer fixes.
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

PIRATE UPHOLSTERY is out of Kingston, NY and does some great work with shaving and reshaping seats. They should have a quick turnover time from NJ. You can also do what jrsjr said about swapping it for a stock Buddy seat. It shouldn't be hard to sell a new blackjack seat on here or Ebay. Probably be able to do an even swap with someone. You can also try RIDER BEADS as an option. Those are great for air flow and eliminating "monkey butt". Welcome to MB, congrats on the Blackjack. Where in Jersey are you? There's a big rally in Wildwood in 3 weeks....

http://www.theeastcoastclassic.com/
AtlBuddy

Post by AtlBuddy »

Diamond Upholestey did a custom seat for me for $70 + shipping and it turned out great. Check the scooter gallery for pics of it. They are in Oregon but were by far the cheapest I have found and they did beautiful work.
TCaruso

Post by TCaruso »

Thanks for the info.

Jack Bauer- I clicked on the link for the event in Wildwood and it sounds awesome. Unfortunately I live 120 miles away if I ride straight down the Parkway (which I can't) and I can't trailer the bike. Pirate did some work for PJD in the past. I'm going to call them to find out about their seat exchange program.
TCaruso

Post by TCaruso »

AtlBuddy wrote:Diamond Upholestey did a custom seat for me for $70 + shipping and it turned out great. Check the scooter gallery for pics of it. They are in Oregon but were by far the cheapest I have found and they did beautiful work.
Does Diamond have a website? I can't seem to find them.
AtlBuddy

Post by AtlBuddy »

TCaruso wrote:
AtlBuddy wrote:Diamond Upholestey did a custom seat for me for $70 + shipping and it turned out great. Check the scooter gallery for pics of it. They are in Oregon but were by far the cheapest I have found and they did beautiful work.
Does Diamond have a website? I can't seem to find them.
I don't think they do. They are located in Rosenburg Ohio. They had originally done Mr. Miller's black jack seat so I contacted them to see if they could do mine. You should find them on google using that name and location.
AtlBuddy

Post by AtlBuddy »

Here you go. I think that email address has changed.

Diamond Upholstery
Dennis
541 672-5201
Diamondennis@rio.com
2405 Northeast Diamond Lake blvd.
Roseburg, OR 97470
Demo_Nic

Post by Demo_Nic »

I've tried several times to email them using that e-mail but it keeps bouncing back as not existing.
pdxrita

Post by pdxrita »

Demo_Nic wrote:I've tried several times to email them using that e-mail but it keeps bouncing back as not existing.
It looks to me like that ISP sold the domain name "rio.com". My best educated guess as to what this guy's e-mail address might be now, assuming he stayed with the same ISP, is Diamondennis@riousa.com. But since he doesn't seem to have an e-mail address publicized, phoning might be a better bet.
Mutt the Hoople

Post by Mutt the Hoople »

Congratutions!!! Sounds like you are going to be having a lot of fun!
96 Decibel Freaks
Demo_Nic

Post by Demo_Nic »

Thanks fellow IV-X er!
MGM

Post by MGM »

Just went back through my emails as Dennis did a red tuck and roll leather seat for my Black Jack about a yesr ago. See below.

My new e-mail address is diamondennis@riousa.com.
Thank you,
-Dennis
Demo_Nic

Post by Demo_Nic »

Thank you for the help. It worked this time. I went off an old post that left out the usa part. :)
Mr Miller

Post by Mr Miller »

Diamond is great they are in my home town, I use them for all my custom seating needs! He is old school so the phone might work best;)
• 171.3cc NCY Big Bore kit
& bunch of other stuff...

http://www.facebook.com/inerseshen for graphic design, advertising, signs, decals...
Dracolibris

Post by Dracolibris »

Welcome and 'grats on your new Blackjack! I just got mine in April, and am still loving it very much.
Knowledge is free at the library. Just bring your own container.
ThreeSheets
Dealer

Post by ThreeSheets »

congrats on the black jack!! Now get out and scoot :shock:
<b>FLAT SQUIRREL SCOOTERS</b>
421 N. Randall Rd, Lake in the Hills, IL
www.flatsquirrelscooters.com
Demo_Nic

Post by Demo_Nic »

Alt. I liked you seat so much Diamond Upholstery is making me one like yours but they are shaving it down and putting a softer foam. Should be done in about a week. Just wanted to give you credit!
Mr Miller

Post by Mr Miller »

You won't be disappointed:)
• 171.3cc NCY Big Bore kit
& bunch of other stuff...

http://www.facebook.com/inerseshen for graphic design, advertising, signs, decals...
Demo_Nic

Post by Demo_Nic »

I have no doubt I will! Like you said best price out there even when you add in the shipping both ways.