Anyone have a 170i yet?!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Michelle7471

Anyone have a 170i yet?!

Post by Michelle7471 »

My dealer won't be able to get me one till July :cry: , so i want to get some feedback if its worth the wait? Also curious on what mpg you're getting as i've heard mix stories compared to the website's listing. Thanks everyone.
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

I called today and my dealer is checking on it. No word yet!
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).
cleohscoots

Post by cleohscoots »

Picking mine (silver) up on Wed. My first scooter (had motorcycles in the past) and I am psyched. I'll post pictures and a review after I pick it up.
bosco
Dealer

Post by bosco »

They are quick

All the same buddy you know but quick.
CWO4GUNNER

Post by CWO4GUNNER »

It will be very interesting to see some comprehensive reviews by owners who have owned the 125 & 150.
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

They just arrived at Philadelphia Scooters. http://fb.me/VHaUMxVe
ModBud #442
Hwarang

Post by Hwarang »

They have one of each @ Scooterville in MPLS ... I was half thinking of bringing both my 09 125's in and trading up. I would have to work out the values first to see if it's a good deal.
"Limitations are the soil from which creativity grows." - Zeldman
"All that glitters is not golden" - Shakespeare
"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known" - Carl Sagan
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind killer ..." - Dune
CWO4GUNNER

Post by CWO4GUNNER »

Hwarang wrote:They have one of each @ Scooterville in MPLS ... I was half thinking of bringing both my 09 125's in and trading up. I would have to work out the values first to see if it's a good deal.
Never-ever trade in a vehicle as you will always do better selling outright, and never take your scoot to the dealer to look at buying and always say you have no trade in. The dealer can make the numbers look good, but in the end they are making out huge-time. Just detail wash and wax it then place it on craiglist for LOW retail according to the book value, which is about 20% better then dealers will pay you which is dealer "trade in value", significantly less like $400-$800 less then LOW retail. Also a well maintained scoot detailed and waxed with good photos will sell fast at LOW retail. I always do and my bikes sell fast becasue there is no point in listing something if your not a motivated seller. But trading is a real charade of you lose.

If you want the truth about trading in, tell the dealer you have no trade in and do the deal in writing, then just before you finance or pay cash stop and tell the dealer you now have a trade in and have him re-run the numbers and you will be shocked at what he is giving you for trade in, the hidden charade suddenly becomes very clear.
Last edited by CWO4GUNNER on Tue May 24, 2011 6:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
viney266

Post by viney266 »

cleohscoots wrote:Picking mine (silver) up on Wed. My first scooter (had motorcycles in the past) and I am psyched. I'll post pictures and a review after I pick it up.
^^^ Cool, looking Fwd to see what you have to say!
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
TVB

Post by TVB »

CWO4GUNNER wrote:Never-ever trade in a vehicle as you will always do better selling outright
That's assuming you want to deal with selling it yourself. I once bought a car without trading in my old one (figuring I could get more money for it that way), and for a variety of reasons I was stuck with it for over six months – with it taking up space, losing value, tying up money, etc. – before I was able to sell it. You need to weigh the costs and benefits of which approach to take.
Hwarang

Post by Hwarang »

TVB wrote:
CWO4GUNNER wrote:Never-ever trade in a vehicle as you will always do better selling outright
That's assuming you want to deal with selling it yourself. I once bought a car without trading in my old one (figuring I could get more money for it that way), and for a variety of reasons I was stuck with it for over six months – with it taking up space, losing value, tying up money, etc. – before I was able to sell it. You need to weigh the costs and benefits of which approach to take.
There is some emotional baggage attached to the pink scooter ... I would not mind just being rid of it ...
MYSCTR

Post by MYSCTR »

Got 'em in Dallas! Well, two of the models...

Just stopped in Monday and WOW the brown and dark green look AWESOME!
Raiderfn31

Post by Raiderfn31 »

Why trade-in? Build your scooter stable!
"When your lawyer looks at you like you deserve whats coming, you may begin to sweat."
jasondavis48108

Post by jasondavis48108 »

my dealer got two in today, unfortunately the just got them in so I didn't get a chance to look at them :(
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
Mulliganal

Post by Mulliganal »

MYSCTR wrote:Got 'em in Dallas! Well, two of the models...

Just stopped in Monday and WOW the brown and dark green look AWESOME!
I have to keep telling myself to wait and relax, my Stella will be coming soon, but dang man that brown Buddy 170i looks nice.
".....Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us......"
Hwarang

Post by Hwarang »

Raiderfn31 wrote:Why trade-in? Build your scooter stable!
Oh, I do want a stable =D. But it only includes one buddy. I want one 2-wheeled vehicle for every kind of ride. A blur 220i and a triumph bonneville are up @ the top of my list.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Just landed at NoHo Scooters today!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Woot! Still waiting for Scoot Richmond to weigh in...

EDIT: Still got no money. :oops:
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Word I heard already: "Definitely" faster than 150. Don't know how much.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
chillas61210

Post by chillas61210 »

Still waiting for our dealer here to get the one in that we ordered :( They said it should be here in June. No fun only having 1 scooter I want to get our and ride together not alone! Can't wait to see the reviews of the 170's
Lindsay
cleohscoots

Post by cleohscoots »

So I picked by Silver 170 up yesterday and put 40 miles on it on the way home and I must say - I LOVE IT. Quick, comfortable and very nice to ride. Had a top rack installed and it carried all of my "stuff" nicely. The weather is supposed to be nice this weekend and next week so I plan on putting lots of miles on my new scooter.
rockraines

Post by rockraines »

Scooterworks Chicago is still waiting for them to get off the boat. I did see some real nice 125's in there yesterday including an all white one.
Plisar

Post by Plisar »

rockraines wrote:Scooterworks Chicago is still waiting for them to get off the boat. I did see some real nice 125's in there yesterday including an all white one.
There is something really kind of funny about Scooterworks being among the last to get a product that they promote nationally.
Silver Streak

Post by Silver Streak »

Plisar wrote:
rockraines wrote:Scooterworks Chicago is still waiting for them to get off the boat. I did see some real nice 125's in there yesterday including an all white one.
There is something really kind of funny about Scooterworks being among the last to get a product that they promote nationally.
My thought exactly. I thought all the Genuine products were distributed from Chicago.
Dave

www.glyphukulele.com

"You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice."
thehypercube

Post by thehypercube »

goods shipped in cargo boxes from asia will hit the west coast first. regardless where company hq is, makes most sense logistically.
jprestonian

Post by jprestonian »

Perhaps Genuine cares more about its network of dealers across the country more than the locals (who're probably getting some sweet-ass deals on remaining 150s at the moment).
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

ericalm wrote:Word I heard already: "Definitely" faster than 150. Don't know how much.
Argh, I knew I forgot something! :x I forgot to take a picture of the new speedo. It goes up to 90. :shock:
ModBud #442
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

polianarchy wrote:
ericalm wrote:Word I heard already: "Definitely" faster than 150. Don't know how much.
Argh, I knew I forgot something! :x I forgot to take a picture of the new speedo. It goes up to 90. :shock:
HUH??
Poli, YOU got a NEW 170?????
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

KABarash wrote:
polianarchy wrote:
HUH??
The Philly dealer did.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

polianarchy wrote:
There are a few other changes as well. We noticed a RARE '11 white Buddy had a few styling changes: different tail light lenses, less conspicuous mounts for rear rack, a few other things. These are all integrated into the new 170s.
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

jrsjr wrote:
KABarash wrote:
polianarchy wrote: Argh, I knew I forgot something! :x I forgot to take a picture of the new speedo. It goes up to 90. :shock:
HUH??
The Philly dealer did.
jrsjr is correct! I stopped by Philadelphia Scooters yesterday evening to see the new 170s for myself. WOO-BABY are they sharp-looking. 8) But Pinky Tuscadero is still the prettiest scooter in all the land. /peewee

Anyhoodle,
90mph :shock:

And! Ben at the Scoot Philly blog wrote up a post called, Buddy 170i, Whats new?
ModBud #442
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

Just got the call! Mine is at the dealer. He is going to add a windshield and rear rack and will have it ready tomorrow afternoon! WAHOO! Gonna have some fun this weekend!!! :D
lmyers

Post by lmyers »

pugbuddy wrote:Just got the call! Mine is at the dealer. He is going to add a windshield and rear rack and will have it ready tomorrow afternoon! WAHOO! Gonna have some fun this weekend!!! :D
There's no excuse for it not being ready today. ijs
jprestonian

Post by jprestonian »

ericalm wrote: There are a few other changes as well. We noticed a RARE '11 white Buddy had a few styling changes: different tail light lenses, less conspicuous mounts for rear rack, a few other things. These are all integrated into the new 170s.
Are they gonna be rare? We got one; sold it almost immediately.

I did notice the knockouts on the front panel are gone on the 2011s, but didn't notice any other change other than a honkin' big MADE IN TAIWAN label just below the headset.
BuddyLicious

Post by BuddyLicious »

jprestonian wrote:
ericalm wrote: There are a few other changes as well. We noticed a RARE '11 white Buddy had a few styling changes: different tail light lenses, less conspicuous mounts for rear rack, a few other things. These are all integrated into the new 170s.
Are they gonna be rare? We got one; sold it almost immediately.

I did notice the knockouts on the front panel are gone on the 2011s, but didn't notice any other change other than a honkin' big MADE IN TAIWAN label just below the headset.
I thought the knockouts were for the front racks,if their not there how do you install the rack then?

Please please,is one of you nice 170 owners going to do a photo shoot for us? Thanks!
Aerosmith, None Other.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

polianarchy wrote:jrsjr is correct!
Well, I lived long enough and it finally happened. :wink:
jprestonian

Post by jprestonian »

The drill points are on the reverse side of the "windscreen" (which is what PGO calls that part). The knockouts are no big help, anyway... to do a proper job, you need a Dremel to make it look professional.
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

jprestonian wrote:
Most of the changes are very cosmetic, I believe. My dealer did point out a coil that was different underneath. Overall, the scoot looks beautiful; the green is really awesome IMHO. 8)
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

New (pug)Buddy 170 in the drive! Will be riding all weekend so I took a few pics while it was still shiny and pretty.

Very very nice scooter! I'm looking forward to seeing how she opens up! Only one in Tulsa so I get to be unique for a little while. 8)
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Go pugbuddy, go!!! :D
GrittyTacoman

Post by GrittyTacoman »

Thanks for posting those pics, pugbuddy! Will be interested to hear what you think of it after riding hither and thither this weekend.
lmyers

Post by lmyers »

Don't wait til the weekend! You seriously need to break it in before AV and that's just a few weeks. Because you really need to go.
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

By the end of the weekend I'll be ready for my initial tune up, I'm sure! If I make AV, I'll have it broken in by then! :D
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

BuddyLicious wrote:I thought the knockouts were for the front racks,if their not there how do you install the rack then?
Got my first in-person view of the 170i's today. The knock outs are there. They are just on the inside and not visible on the outside until you actually knock them out.

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
zilla86

Post by zilla86 »

That is a snazzy looking scooter 8)
I'll have to stop by my dealer and see if they got any 170i in yet.

Oh ya I still want to race one with my Blackjack :lol:
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Skootz Kabootz wrote:
BuddyLicious wrote:I thought the knockouts were for the front racks,if their not there how do you install the rack then?
Got my first in-person view of the 170i's today. The knock outs are there. They are just on the inside and not visible on the outside until you actually knock them out.
You didn't get to ride it?
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

Ah, I do love that green. Congrats, pugbuddy!
pugbuddy wrote:By the end of the weekend I'll be ready for my initial tune up, I'm sure! If I make AV, I'll have it broken in by then! :D
What is this "IF" business?!?!? :cry:
ModBud #442
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

I may have a new job that will start at roughly the same time as AV! There is a small possibility it could start after (and an even smaller one that I may not get the position but it looks pretty solid at this time). If it starts later or I don't get it, I'll be at AV. But otherwise, I'm screwed this year.... :cry:
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

ericalm wrote:
Skootz Kabootz wrote:
You didn't get to ride it?
No time today. If I can I'd love to give it a go another time. Then again, right now I'm really happy with my wheelie-popping St. Tropez. Maybe I don't want to ride a 170i. I might get cc envy!

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
Tweak
Dealer

Post by Tweak »

We have them 1 silver and 1 brown 170i

Maxey's Cycle in Oklahoma City
'07 Buddy 150
171cc and some other goodies

Go Big or Go Home