Shipping a scooter for a dealing

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Kevin Lee

Shipping a scooter for a dealing

Post by Kevin Lee »

Hi I'm new here, and want to buy a used Buddy.
I found a beatiful used one, but the seller is in San Diego.
I'm in San Francisco. Same State, but still need to
ship the object. :?
I came to US 4months ago and have no idea about
this. The seller is also not so familiar with this process neither.
Any good advices about long distance trades?
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

is there anyway you can get a "reference" so to speak on the condition of the bike? Maybe they can give you the number of the place were they have it serviced and you can call and make sure the bike is OK. I think Motorsport Scooters might be the only Buddy dealer in SD..certainly they would be the biggest.

I used Uship.com to ship. Here is a copy of my story regarding using uship for a Xcountry move.
peabody99 wrote:
I used Uship to send Buddy out while we drove the car cross country. I got a bid for a transport in an open trailer for $330 which was not bad.

The guy was a very experienced shipper, however he got arrested for some reason en route and the county sheriffs office in riverside cty impounded my sweet buddy. It was three days of stress looking at my options (at my expense of course) to retrieve my jailed scoot. But the shipper was truly professional and took care of his business, delivering the buddy only a little later than promised (with a few dings in the plastic).

My situation was odd- I think most people do well with Uship.com. Its like ebay in that you can only enter an agreement with a positively rated shipper. Good luck on what ever you decide.
[/quote]
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Uship.com and Forward Air (http://www.forwardair.com/prepaid/MCmainpage.jsp) are both popular, though I haven't used either. Both would probably be cheaper then renting a truck, driving down, spending the night and driving back.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

ericalm wrote:Uship.com and Forward Air (http://www.forwardair.com/prepaid/MCmainpage.jsp) are both popular, though I haven't used either. Both would probably be cheaper then renting a truck, driving down, spending the night and driving back.
I'm not so sure that is true. Crating is the same no matter how far the scooter needs to go. For that short a distance I would certainly look into rental pick-up and trailer options (not to mention buddies - the human kind :) - with a pick-up or full sized van).
CWO4GUNNER

Post by CWO4GUNNER »

Have the seller advertise and find a face to face person who is moving to your area who has shipping room in their trailer for a nominal fee the sell;er can help secure the item, get personal info on the private party mover, and you can meet the private party to unload once they arrive.

My 05 Suzuki Bandit 1200 here in BHC, AZ was purchase buy a gentlemen in WA and he paid a local man who was moving with a trailer who had room which cost about $100 but I had to help secure and load the bike. The bike arrived safely and the buyer was happy. The key is the seller needs to meet face to face and get ID info like drivers license exc, exc.
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

Dooglas wrote:
ericalm wrote:Uship.com and Forward Air (http://www.forwardair.com/prepaid/MCmainpage.jsp) are both popular, though I haven't used either. Both would probably be cheaper then renting a truck, driving down, spending the night and driving back.
I'm not so sure that is true. Crating is the same no matter how far the scooter needs to go. For that short a distance I would certainly look into rental pick-up and trailer options (not to mention buddies - the human kind :) - with a pick-up or full sized van).

Many uship shippers do not require crating. Mine was shipped on an open trailer
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Dooglas wrote:
Once you factor in rental, gas, meals, overnight stay, buying tie downs, etc., I'm guessing it'd be more than U-Ship. Forward Air does require crating, so is probably more.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
goldscott

Post by goldscott »

Fly there (or hitch-hike, ride share, sail), then drive Buddy back!
Kevin Lee

Re: Shipping a scooter for a dealing

Post by Kevin Lee »

Thnks to all. very helpful :)
TVB

Post by TVB »

goldscott wrote:Fly there (or hitch-hike, ride share, sail), then drive Buddy back!
For what it's worth, a Greyhound bus can get you there in about 11-12 hours for about $80.
BuddyLicious

Post by BuddyLicious »

TVB wrote:
goldscott wrote:Fly there (or hitch-hike, ride share, sail), then drive Buddy back!
For what it's worth, a Greyhound bus can get you there in about 11-12 hours for about $80.
#1 to what TVB said.

Option 2: If your in decent shape and there is proper roads to your destination buy an el-cheapo bicycle form the store for 80-100 bux.Ride to destination and leave bike,maybe even sell it for 1/2 price.Win win!
Aerosmith, None Other.
bluebuddygirl

Post by bluebuddygirl »

BuddyLicious wrote:
TVB wrote:
#1 to what TVB said.

Option 2: If your in decent shape and there is proper roads to your destination buy an el-cheapo bicycle form the store for 80-100 bux.Ride to destination and leave bike,maybe even sell it for 1/2 price.Win win!
Umm, it is over 500 miles from San Diego to San Francisco. I would probably do the bus ride and then ride the scooter back, but 500 miles is a very long first ride, even if you break it up into segments.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

bluebuddygirl wrote:
BuddyLicious wrote:
TVB wrote:For what it's worth, a Greyhound bus can get you there in about 11-12 hours for about $80.
#1 to what TVB said.

Umm, it is over 500 miles from San Diego to San Francisco. I would probably do the bus ride and then ride the scooter back, but 500 miles is a very long first ride, even if you break it up into segments.
+1 It's a 3 day ride on a Buddy, and not an easy one. Lots of challenging terrain, twisties, highway (not freeway) routes, high speeds and hills.
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

BuddyLicious wrote:
TVB wrote:
there is also Amtrak...but still that would be a brutal first ride. If you look at Uship I would put in a bid request for about 80 (or what ever you want), it cant hurt, as SD to SF if a popular route- there are sure to be a lot of options. I can't believe how many people counter bid on my Cleveland to SD request.
lovebucket

Post by lovebucket »

I was the seller in San Diego and yes -- MotorSport Scooters was going to do the shipping for me! I had no idea they did that and now know for the future!

Those guys rock! Such amazing service.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Have you thought about buying a Buddy locally? I see them on Craigslist (www.craigslist.com or http://sfbay.craigslist.org/mca/) all the time. Take a look at this 2008 Buddy Pamplona 150: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/mcy/2386747958.html for an asking price of $2750. And, it's in San Francisco. 8)

If you want to buy new, SF Scooter Center (127 10th Street @ Mission. (415) 558-9854) is having a sale. They're selling Buddy 125s' for $2250, not sure what they want for the 150 though.

If you need local help with your scooter, you're welcome to PM me. :)
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
Raiderfn31

Post by Raiderfn31 »

babblefish wrote:Have you thought about buying a Buddy locally? I see them on Craigslist (www.craigslist.com or http://sfbay.craigslist.org/mca/) all the time. Take a look at this 2008 Buddy Pamplona 150: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/mcy/2386747958.html for an asking price of $2750. And, it's in San Francisco. 8)

If you want to buy new, SF Scooter Center (127 10th Street @ Mission. (415) 558-9854) is having a sale. They're selling Buddy 125s' for $2250, not sure what they want for the 150 though.

If you need local help with your scooter, you're welcome to PM me. :)
I would tend to agree thats its probably a good idead just to buy locally. Im sure there are plenty of deals around if you are patient, plus Babblefish just offered his help!
"When your lawyer looks at you like you deserve whats coming, you may begin to sweat."