Kelly Blue Book

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Smiley13

Kelly Blue Book

Post by Smiley13 »

I have a question for everyone. Which do you use when looking up a price for a scooter when selling it.
Kelly Blue Book Trade In?
or
Kelly Blue Book Retail?
Thank you everyone.
Smiley
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Well, I look at both. I also look at what I see on Craigslist. I also consider the time of the year and the condition of the market at the time. Then I try a price and see if it generates any interest. :)
TVB

Post by TVB »

In theory, the "retail" price is what you should be able to get selling it to a new owner. The "trade in" price assumes that you're selling it to a dealer who'll do the work of inspecting it, fixing it up, and selling it for you.

In the real world, of course, the price is whatever someone is willing to pay you for it. :)
lmyers

Post by lmyers »

I go with in between (depending on the condition of the scooter) with enough of a pad that the potential buyer can offer me less. Except my red Stella. I'm asking eleventy-billion. That scooter is bullet-proof and worth every penny.
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

And never price it at what you need to get out of it. NO ONE offers you what you ask. For whatever reason, potential buyers feel like they haven't gotten a "good deal" unless they talk you down a ways. Build negotiating room into your price.

Howard
Iron Butt Association Member Number 42256
Club - The Sky Island Riders.
Publisher: The Scooter 'Zine thescooterzine.com
laxer

Post by laxer »

You have to look at what others are selling for where you live and, if possible, what people are willing to pay for what you have. KBB can be helpful, but even car dealerships go on current market value instead of KBB or NADA.
jmkjr72

Post by jmkjr72 »

retail value is what you should expect to pay for a fully recondsioned unit at a dealership

trade in is what you should expect a dealership to give you

private party is noramly about in the middle of the 2

but the big factor os the local market

right now here with 4 buck a gallon gas people are asking for more then what they paid for on there used cheap chineese pos scoots heck some of the prices compare to buying a brand new scoot from a dealership and this is on 2 to 4 yo chineese scoots
z 2008 zuma 50
olive 2008 setlla
1979 tomos
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

jmkjr72 wrote:people are asking for more then what they paid for on there used cheap chineese pos scoots
Askin' ain't the same as gettin' however. :wink:
jmkjr72

Post by jmkjr72 »

the sad thing is there are lots of idiots out there that will pay too much for those pos scoots and then get upset when they bring them to me to fix and find out how much its going to cost to get it to run right for a short period of time
z 2008 zuma 50
olive 2008 setlla
1979 tomos
rsrider

Post by rsrider »

jmkjr72 wrote:the sad thing is there are lots of idiots out there that will pay too much for those pos scoots and then get upset when they bring them to me to fix and find out how much its going to cost to get it to run right for a short period of time
angry customers are always fun.... Do you tell them; Next time don't buy a POS. ??? hahaha

I lucked out when I bought my buddy. 2008 Italia 50 with I think 250 miles for $1K. I didn't even try to negotiate. I called them up and asked if they still had it, drove up immediately, paid the money, and put it in the back of the truck. Yeah!!!
Using the internet for evil since 1994.
Smiley13

Post by Smiley13 »

Thanks for the info. i was under the impression that you use the trade in value as a stepping stone. Because your not a retailer and are not doing the inspections that a dealer would do. But it sounds like finding a price in the middle of both values that KBB provides is the best way to go.
Thanks again everyone for the info.
Smiley