Garage almost caught fire twice & water heater wont reli

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

CWO4GUNNER

Garage almost caught fire twice & water heater wont reli

Post by CWO4GUNNER »

Its been one of those days LOL. After rearranging and sweeping my garage I decided to install the new fuel shut off valve I ordered for my 06 Honda 450X as the old one would drip gas when turned on. So with the garage door open and the ceiling fan on I start the work and decide I'm too experienced to follow safety procedures and drain the gas tank into a gas can first and figure that I can just fast-move each of the 3 fuel hoses (Res, Main and Carb) from the old to the new valve one at a time saving all that draining time. Long-story-short I fumbled the hoses and had a 5 square foot puddle of gas on the ground in about 5 seconds.

Pushing the motorcycle out the the front yard 30 feet outside while I let it leak on the gravel and rush to shut the gas water heater pilot off, then returned to stop the leak and clean up the puddle inside the garage. All seems well. the new valve is installed but in my rush to refit the leaking hoses I twisted the reserve and main hose over one another creating a rather sharp bend. But since it seem to run well and not be affected I stored the Honda back in the garage and went into the house to cleaned myself up.

After cleaning up I remembered I had shut the water-heater pilot off so I returned to the garage when I heard what sounded like water leaking, gasp! Gas was gushing out of the valve hose sand there was an even bigger puddle in the garage. I grabbed the bike and wheeled it hemorrhaging into the canter of my huge back yard, then rad back in and grabbed a blanket to quickly absorb most of the gasoline taking blanket to the center of the back yard also to let it evaporate while grabbing a gas can and 5 feet of gas line to stop the wasted 5 gallons of fuel from pouring into the gravel.

Rather the trying to figure out what was leaking in the valve/hose connections I just siphoned the gas strait out of the tank and pinched off the leaking hose at the valve assembly.

What happened was that the hose I had left the tight bend in parted and opened under stress. Even though the 5 year old hoses looked and felt new, the new unusual bend I had placed on them was enough to stress them out and par open one the main fuel tank hose.

Lesson learned. never let your experience confidence get in the way of basic fundamental safe practices. If I had drained the tank as I normally would I would have never been pressed into making a bad connection on those hoses, I would have taken my time to make sure they were properly routed stress free from the tank to the new valve.

After what almost could have happened I will never do something like that inside the garage again.
:roll: :shock:
Oh and on top of all of that I now cant seem to get my 3 year old water heater pilot restarted and will have to call Sears to fix it under warranty parts as the labor warranty rand out last year. Oh well it was a lesson well deserved and learned which could have been far worse, so I'm actually thankful and grateful . :D
jmkjr72

Post by jmkjr72 »

more then likely it needs a new thermocouple on there
every couple of years when i go to relight the furnace and it wont light i replace that and away i go
z 2008 zuma 50
olive 2008 setlla
1979 tomos
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Or maybe a clogged pilot jet! :D :D :D

Seriously, the pilot sometimes clogs up over time - see if it's clogged with a pin.

But yeah, I've had the thermocouple fail once as well.
CWO4GUNNER

Post by CWO4GUNNER »

Ironic you should both mention the water heater. I wasn't looking forward to calling Sears on Monday to ask them how much their "out of warranty labor" charge is. Not like I have never lit a water heater but these new models pilot are enclosed and you have to depend on the Elec static igniter and a glass port. So it was either the igniter or the pilot control valve assembly and I knew that the pilot control valve would cost 50% the price of a new water heater to install. Being a robotics tech whenever I have a problem like this my mind starts running though allot of possible causes and repair scenarios. Some time at church this morning it occurred to me that the elec igniter was the most likely cause and that I would need to pry off the sight glass to gain access to the pilot in hopes that it was not the problem.

Boy they really put those glass port frames in almost tamper proof as I had to use a feeler gauge to compress the metal barbs holding it in place but finally the glass and frame came out intact and I had an old fashion water heater again. I decided to stop at Waly-Mart and pick up a 12" gas lighter wand for barbecues, why struggle with a rolled up piece of paper.

Anyway it worked and I was very grateful but instead of replacing the glass port I just covered the 1X1" port with a piece of aluminum foil tape encase this happens again. Im estimating $150 repair cost saved. Too bad I diden't use my brain to take safety precautions in the first place, which would have saved me these problems.

I still need to finish the fuel hose/valve repair on my 450X, but now becasue the supply hose busted I have to remove the tank and install new reserve & main gas lines from the tank. At least this time the gas tank is empty lol. Hay if we diden't make mistakes and acknowledge them, we would never learn anything lol.
CWO4GUNNER

Post by CWO4GUNNER »

Thought I should finish this story becasue the bike who's fuel line parted looked perfectly new from the outside but inside that 10% ethanol was doing it work on rubber. So I decided to switch all my Carb bikes to the best fuel line available Silicone marine fuel line, impervious to just about all chemicals, rot and UV.

Below the motorcycle that has won the Baja race since 2006, the Honda 450X
http://powersports.honda.com/2009/crf450x.aspx
Image[/img]
Below procrastination had to finally end, removing the tank and seat to access the bad fuel lines.
Below a closeup shows how ethanol deteriorates petroleum fuel lines from the inside out, lines only 4 years old that soul have lasted much longer.
Below impervious marine grade silicone fuel line, lock-wired with aluminum wire strong enough to prevent slippage but soft enough not to cut into the line.
PTL a good ending to what could have been a firey ending, a path that I am trying to avoid. :wink: