Buddy 50 cc oil tank

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

issue31

Buddy 50 cc oil tank

Post by issue31 »

:roll: Trying to figure out how many miles, or time left when red light for tank gage comes on. Is it completly empty or do i have a little grace period till i get gome,about 4 blocks. I could not find any therads on this. :roll:
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

You've got about 20 miles from when the needle hits bottom.
Last edited by Skootz Kabootz on Wed May 18, 2011 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
jasondavis48108

Post by jasondavis48108 »

I think he's talking about the red 2t oil light. Basically you want to get oil in it asap when that light comes on. I'm sure you could go 4 blocks but you definitely don't want to ride for a long time once the light comes on. I never let my light come on in the first place. Look under the scooter right above the rear tire and you'll see the oil reservoir. I always top mine off when it gets about half to one quarter full.
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Perhaps Skootz was confused because issue31 says he has a Buddy 125 - I am confused too :? .
jasondavis48108

Post by jasondavis48108 »

Dooglas wrote:Perhaps Skootz was confused because issue31 says he has a Buddy 125 - I am confused too :? .

:lol: I didn't even notice, yeah I don't know anything about the 125s do they even have oil lights?
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
jmkjr72

Post by jmkjr72 »

if we are talking about a low oil light on a 2 stroke i will say like i say over on the zuma site

if you wait long engouh for the light to come on you waited too long
as one of these days that light is not going to work and you will run out of oil
z 2008 zuma 50
olive 2008 setlla
1979 tomos
issue31

more then one Buddy

Post by issue31 »

:lol: I do have a Buddy 125 and a Buddy 50. My wife does not have a mc indorsement here in MN. She is the one who rides the 50. To get her on a scooter was quite a acomplishment! She piled up a mc back in 1982 and spent almost 2 years in the hospital and at Mayo Clinic. So i have to give her credit for what she is doing. Talking about getting her endorcement back next summer. to the scooter guy who told me where to find the tank, thank you!!! :D I do top her oil res off every once in a while, but would still like to no where it is. Thank you John issue31
TVB

Post by TVB »

I try to top off the oil reservoir from time to time, but if I forget and the light comes on while I'm riding around town, I just refill it when I get home. I'm creeping up on 10K miles, so that seems to be working.
squasher5

Post by squasher5 »

Hey TVB,

I like your advice. I refill my oil on my buddy 50 every second tank of gas, and I find it does not really need that. It seems to be very efficient with its use of injected oil.

I also notice your fuel efficiency numbers....about 80.9 mpg. That totally matches what we are getting. Initially I found this disappointing, but it now seems realistic.

10 K miles is quite impressive. What regular maintenance do you do?
TVB

Post by TVB »

Maintenance? These things need maintenance? :shock:

I enjoy learning how things work in principle, and I'm a do-it-yourself-er for everything from cutting my own hair to hosting my own web site to growing my own chives to fixing my own busted couch. But I've never had much interest in the practical details of automotive mechanics, so I just take the scooter in to the shop periodically, or before a big trip, or when there's a problem, and tell them to do what needs doing.

It's not the ideal way to handle it - my average gas mileage would be higher if I'd figured out sooner that I apparently just needed a new spark plug - but the Buddy is enough of a "low maintenance" device that I can get away with that approach. (Unlike some computers I own.)

I'm not sure where I picked up this figure, but it said that the Buddy 50 uses a quart of oil for every 10 gallons of gas, and on the two occasions when I paid enough attention to verify it (on long road trips where I didn't carry oil, so I had to buy some when I ran out) that seemed to be about right: on each trip I needed a refill as I was getting close-ish to the 1000-mile mark.