Buddy T-shirts

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

angieyou3

Buddy T-shirts

Post by angieyou3 »

So, I just have a screen printer sitting around with nothing to do and was thinking..."Hey...we need Buddy t-shirts!!" I was thinking of making some, but wanted input first. I can do the design of the shirt and print the shirts, but would like some ideas....here is what I need:

1. Would you buy one (or more)?
2. How much would you be willing to pay (including S&H)?
3. What color(s) t-shirt would you like?
4. Any suggestions for the design?

I can't think of anything else I need right now. At this point I am just trying to get some feedback. Let me know what you think and I will get moving if there is enough interest!

~Angie :idea:
Scootin_in_MS

Post by Scootin_in_MS »

1. Yes
2. $25.00
3. white or off-white or tan or pink
4. simple design (front or back) - I'll let someone else come up with that

Jody
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

good idea.I say a women's styled shirt should be available too. I like the Buddy retro label (if you can)on the genuine site. Maybe someting catchy about the gas mileage:ie "who knew getting a 100 mpg could be so fun" . I like black, despite the heat. maybe they could come in buddy colors?

I am a cheap skate and would pay aroung $15-17 plus s&h for a ladies style (kind of the going rate on scooter sites)
Fran

Post by Fran »

Like an earlier poster, I'd buy one if the women's style were available. $15 to $17. Preferred colors -- orange, black, pink, or cream, like the Buddy, might be fun?
macgawd

Post by macgawd »

Like the idea, but as someone in the licensed apparel business, unless you get Genuine's permission, you could get in A LOT of trouble for selling t-shirts with the Buddy logo or imagry. Food for thought.

Michael
FormerStella

Post by FormerStella »

I would love a Buddy t! I think if you can get permission to use the logo, it would look really cool if you used the same color t's as the Buddys with the logo on the front and a witty slogan on the back. I would pay about $20, too. Great idea!
"But not a real green dress, that's cruel!"
angieyou3

Post by angieyou3 »

didn't really plan on using the buddy logo on the t-shirt (due to licensing reasons). I was really aiming at putting the image of a scooter along with a witty buddy slogan. Phil of POC has shirts that read "It's not a damn moped!" I thought that was funny and fits anyone who owns a scooter. I'll try and work something up soon for everyone to look at.[/list]
golfingirl

Post by golfingirl »

I too think this is a fun idea. I agree as well with the women's Tshirt idea. A retro type Tee with a pic of a scooter in Buddy colours would be perfect. I think a fun slogan works a s well. Especially if you can't use the Genuine Buddy logo. Maybe something like... 100 mpg... that's why I sold my Harley... sorry, just trying to brainstorm. If somethin' witty hits me, I'll post it! :P
Laura
castleton

Post by castleton »

I'd want white with an orange scooter on the front, and on the back in bold letters "90 mpg--That's why!" (stolen I think from scooter diva). A long sleeve T would be great, too!
--Pam

"You're not the boss of me, now."
angieyou3

Post by angieyou3 »

good ideas peeps! I came up with an idea that was a translation from the original buddy name (courtesy of Phil of POC). It reads..."Say hello to my little friend." (with a pic of a buddy scoot.)
Beamie

Post by Beamie »

Sure,
White, Orange or Tan.
$20.
dahuffy

Post by dahuffy »

Speaking as a "Rubenesque" sized,50 yr. old woman, no Baby Tees for me :wink:
L to XL
Gray with Pink
Cream or Yellow
15.00 to 18.00

It's Not a Damn Moped/Mini Bike
I'm Laughing All the Way From/To The Pump
Glad I Made You Smile
Don't You Wish You Were Me?
Vroom-Vroom
Beep-Beep
Yes, It's a PINK Scooter!
Some Buddy <3's (loves) Me
"Cinderella is proof that a pair of shoes can change your life"
urbanbuddy

Post by urbanbuddy »

Hi,
I think Buddy T-Shirts would be amazing. Something classic and simple. I have a 125 Orange so a logo in orange. ha ha
thanks.
golfingirl

Post by golfingirl »

Anyway of doing the logo on the back in reflecive material? I'd pay extra for that! $20 - 25 would be alright. I'm anxious to see your designs! :P
Laura
RisingSunset

Re: Buddy T-shirts

Post by RisingSunset »

1. Yes
2. 20ish
3. orange, cream or gray
lotte

Post by lotte »

Yay! I would love to buy one! I'd like something that is light-hearted and stylish. I probably wouldn't buy anything hotrod-with-bikini-babe-ish.

I agree with Fran that we need girly tees. Also, since many of the Buddy riders are small folks, I think it's a good idea to have a size S. :D
golfingirl

Post by golfingirl »

I probably wouldn't buy anything hotrod-with-bikini-babe-ish
Amen to that, lotte! Definitely a retro type feel. Orange...YES! Either the Tshirt or the logo. Perhaps a washed out orange T with dark orange decals. Could you use the 'Modern Buddy' logo? It's pretty cool.
:D
Laura
Bert

tee

Post by Bert »

Even I would buy one. I picked up on what dahuffy wrote. How about "I'm laughing all the way to the pump" with a silhouette of an old fashion gas pump.

But we should have the name Buddy. maybe "My Buddy and I are....."

Bert
Havn't scootered since '42
Bert

tee

Post by Bert »

Come to think of it, a line drawing of the scootetr should be on he back, and the other crap on the front. I will get a black scooter but orange would be fine. I'll take two at $25 ea.

Bert
AxeYrCat

Post by AxeYrCat »

Hate on these all you want... I just threw them together -- maybe they'll inspire someone to make something that much better. :D

Huh? What just happened?
jess

Post by jess »

I think those are cool.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

I want one!

Post by jrsjr »

Cool beans. I'll take a guy's XXL in white for about $20. Thanks for doing this. Hope it works out.
angieyou3

Post by angieyou3 »

whats everyone think of this design? of course i can change up the text!
Attachments
sayhello.jpg
sayhello.jpg (73.3 KiB) Viewed 4892 times
angieyou3

Post by angieyou3 »

whoa....sorry about the huge image....and the bike wont be so blurry
dahuffy

Post by dahuffy »

CUTE!
AxeYrCat

Post by AxeYrCat »

Angie, if you're diggin' on the font I used, I can send it to you (you can also find it for free online). If you don't dig it, my feelings won't be hurt.

At risk of sounding like a tool -- and if I do, I apologize -- unless you're printing on 110 line screens, you should be able to get a lot more detail in the scooter than that. Also, if you want to keep it to a one-color print, we could vector out a Buddy without too much trouble, I'd think...

Basically, this is your show -- I was just pitching an idea. I didn't mean to step on toes or anything.
Huh? What just happened?
angieyou3

Post by angieyou3 »

AxeYrCat-
I was messing around with an outline of a buddy because some had mentioned that they would like to see that. This is just a first draft so to speak, so when the actual scooter does go to print it will all be vectorized. I was trying to get a small Jpeg out of it for the sake of this forum, but i haven't figured out this new Mac I just bought quite yet. :shock: Im not sure what screens I have anymore, since I haven't touched my screen printer in awhile.

and of course I'll take take the font you have. I think i have something similar but I am a font whore!

and don't worry about stepping on toes. as I said before....any and all input is appreciated. :)
AxeYrCat

Post by AxeYrCat »

There are other work-flows, but not knowing what software you're using -- or what version of it -- I'd go to a PDF (or even take a targeted screen capture -- Command + Shift + 4, draw target area) from Illustrator and then dumb it down with 'Save for Web' in Photoshop.

The font is Air Conditioner:
http://www.dafont.com/air-conditioner.font
Huh? What just happened?
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Do you speak Vector?

Post by jrsjr »

So we have not one, but two people here who speak Vector? :shock: :shock: That's awesome! I can't wait to see what you folks cook up. I change my order. I need one shirt in a men's XXL and one shirt in a women's Large. I'll gladly pay twenty-ish.
angieyou3

Post by angieyou3 »

hahaha....its been so long since I have done this stuff, but it is coming back to me slowly....(and i just switched from pc to mac :shock: again) I was a graphic designer for 4 years and then switched careers. ....its good to know that there are others on this forum willing to help! thanks!
angieyou3

Post by angieyou3 »

who likes this? if not is can always be changed! :D
Attachments
Picture 3.jpg
Picture 3.jpg (20.35 KiB) Viewed 4794 times
BoneGirl

Post by BoneGirl »

Yep! This is a keeper, Ang! I like this one a lot!
dahuffy

Post by dahuffy »

LOVE IT :clap: :clap:
Bert

tee

Post by Bert »

I am also very pleased.
castleton

Post by castleton »

wicked good! I'll take 2.
--Pam

angieyou3

Post by angieyou3 »

Thanks guys!! I will wait for a few more peeps to respond and then I will start ordering t-shirts. I will run a batch of these and then we can change up the text or the bike or both and run another batch and so forth. I think I can work in the quote "100 mpg. That's why!" nicely in with the design of the bike.
BoneGirl

Post by BoneGirl »

"100 mpg. That's why!"
Maybe you can put this on the back. Are you still planning on colored shirts? Even white/black shirts would be cool with just the Buddy colored. It all works for me! Thanks for all your hard work on these!
castleton

Post by castleton »

Just curious about your progress: are the t's in the works? And is there a chance of a long-sleeve T? (maybe in future batches?)

Thanks! (no pressure, really!)
:roll:
--Pam

dru_

Post by dru_ »

So I was bored and I put this together...

http://www.cafepress.com/dru_satori.70641299

I've used Cafe Press before and had really good luck with them. They also offer sweatshirts and stuff, I could easily make up some of them as well as ladies styles. They have Pink, Natural Cotton and some other colors too.

The nice thing about them is that there is no minimum order (though more than 15 gets a pretty steep discount)
BoneGirl

Post by BoneGirl »

I still like Angie's design above. I also like the idea of the scooter itself being in the Buddy colors or the shirt itself being the Buddy colors. I think the "Got Milk"-type phrase has been overused but until I can think of something else, it still rocks on her design.
angieyou3

Post by angieyou3 »

Sorry peeps....i should have been keeping you updated more often. The tshirts will be ordered on August 18th (I have to wait for my bounus to come in :) ). Production will start the day that I get them. Right now I am going to run short sleeve tshirts only, but long sleeve and hoodies will be in the works (im talking with my vendor). I know everyone is going to need something to wear that reminds them of their buddy when they can't ride them (damn snow!) :D Once everything is ready to go, I will put up a paypal site. Don't worry....only a couple more days!!! :clap:

If anyone thinks of a different slogan they would like to see with the bike, I will gladly put that design up as well. Just let me know!

sorry dru....i thought about cafepress, but honestly, I think they are way over priced.
dru_

Post by dru_ »

Oh they are overpriced :-) no question about it, I just threw that up out of sheer unadulterated boredom while waiting on something to run at work :-)
BoneGirl

Post by BoneGirl »

Thanks again, Ang, for doing this.
dahuffy

Post by dahuffy »

I'll definately be in line for 2 !!!
NarMeowZippy

Post by NarMeowZippy »

I love this idea! I'd definitely pay for a Buddy shirt... especially if it had the orange Buddy on it!
Girl shirts would be great too! I look forward to seeing the designs! :D
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Someone say vectors? With a little more time, I could do a more detailed, less iPoddy version. Late night Buddy slogans optional. Others considered but abandoned: "I have a black Buddy;" "The United Flavors of Buddy;" "Creamy. Dreamy. Buddy."

Oof. Really should not post when running on this little sleep.

Last edited by ericalm on Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

Eric- these are amazing. I love the simple "I have a a Buddy" one. Can they personalized in anyway to region such as LA Buddy Gang, Cleveland Buddy Gang.

nice work!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

peabody99 wrote:Eric- these are amazing. I love the simple "I have a a Buddy" one. Can they personalized in anyway to region such as LA Buddy Gang, Cleveland Buddy Gang.

nice work!
Could they be personalized? Sure! It'd be a pain if screen printing them, though. While I agree that Cafe Press is overpriced, its big benefit is being able to do runs of any size. Unless, that is, you've got 25 people who want one of the regions/colors...

I hear some digital inkjet shirts are of acceptable quality, but nothing beats screen printing.
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

eh..the city ones may be too complicated. I guess I would rather have higher quality and less personalization/cost. How about: Dreamy, Creamy...Buddy! for cream of course. I love the ones you did for the the pink.
BoneGirl

Post by BoneGirl »

I still like the cartoon Buddy Angie did. "I Got A Buddy" is better than "Got Gas" but I like the drawing especially if we can get it in Buddy colors.