nbr project lcz going efi

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

jmkjr72

nbr project lcz going efi

Post by jmkjr72 »

well some of you know i have converted my zuma from air cooled to liquid cooled

now comes the next phase
gettting rid of the carb and going efi

so in the end i will have a liquid cooled fuel injected 2 stroke scooter hopefully i will gain a few of the mpgs i lost thru the mods back

as for performnace right now with the liquid cooled corsa kit
i am limited by the leo vince zx pipe that i am running but thats a good thing i have over 10,000 miles on the oe crank and revs past 10,000 rpm wouldnt be good for it

it runs up to 45 like a a bat out of he double hockey sticks
45 to 50 is fair
and climbs to 55 on the flats

it holds 45 to 50 going up some pretty good hills heck i know stock scoots that cant do 20 mph up one of them and chineese scoots that wont make the hill
z 2008 zuma 50
olive 2008 setlla
1979 tomos
jasondavis48108

Post by jasondavis48108 »

have to say that's one while project you got there. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out :D

It's good to have a die hard 50cc modder on the board to talk to although you've certainly went way, way, way farther than I have (yet). I have to say, no matter what other scoots I own I can't see myself not owning a 50 to play with. It's really amazing to me just how far you can push these little engines.
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
jmkjr72

Post by jmkjr72 »

i wouldnt say die hard just dont know when to leave well enough alone

and besides whats better then a little "50" cc womping on the big bikes or takeing off thru traffic

if all goes well with this fi set up it could lead to a boosted 2 stroke race scoot down the road
z 2008 zuma 50
olive 2008 setlla
1979 tomos
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

So which FI kit will you be using? Closed loop?
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
jmkjr72

Post by jmkjr72 »

yes its a closed loop kit
its put togehter by ecotran
z 2008 zuma 50
olive 2008 setlla
1979 tomos
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Similar to this kit from MBE I assume. The O2 sensor, Bluetooth and ignition coil is an option with this kit though.

While you're at it, may as well include this:

Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
TVB

Post by TVB »

Does it come in a Coca-Cola version?
jmkjr72

Post by jmkjr72 »

yeah its simular as that compnay doesnt do it for the 2 strokes

this kit comes with 2 injectors
a switch so you can go between eco and rich mode (this would be handy if you have e85 in your area fill up with regular run in eco fill up on e85 run on rich)
there 4 stroke kit comes with a new cdi that is controled by the ecu

yeah i want to get the efi on up and running and see how it goes
puting a turbo on a 2 stroke is a lot of work got to get a pump oil tank and oil cooler for the turbo

and my oem yamaha crank has over 10,000 miles on it so i doubt it could handle boost im even running a real mild pipe for the kit i have on it so i can make it another year before i have to out a new crank in
z 2008 zuma 50
olive 2008 setlla
1979 tomos
jmkjr72

Post by jmkjr72 »

my box of super sexy fi parts got here today
it seems to be missing the bung for the second injector but its no big deal right now im still waiting for my new intake and air filter
z 2008 zuma 50
olive 2008 setlla
1979 tomos
paikkylee

Post by paikkylee »

No more netting voodoo for you! That's pretty sweet. Do you still use your stock manifold then?
Orange '08 Buddy 125
Seafoam Buddy "72" - Sold
Raleigh MTB - Bar ends and slicks
jmkjr72

Post by jmkjr72 »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDUrt38coLM

no i had to get a diffrent intake as the throttle body was too large for the oem intake

i am still waiting on my airfilter to get here

and i have to pretty up the the hoses and also get my second injector bung and get that mounted up too

and i have to plug the dam thing into a computer

also i have to weld the bung for the 02 sensor on the pipe but the 02 sensor is just for self learning from what i understand the foul out pretty quick on 2 strokes so i might get a koso 2 stroke adapter for it
z 2008 zuma 50
olive 2008 setlla
1979 tomos
jmkjr72

Post by jmkjr72 »

tomorrow my serial to usb adapter should be in so i will then be able to get to sending files back and forth and get the thing on the road

today i got my air filter mounted up
the issue i ran into was getting the air filter to clear parts of the frame
i needed either a 90 deg mount or a 45 deg mount with a small filter
but the one i got is straight the one in th idc catalog that they say is 45 deg is too small to get on the throttle body

but i went out to a grand am that is awaiting a trip to the junk yard and cut the upper rad hose off as it happens to have a 90 deg bend on it
and used that to mount up the air filter it was a snug fit getting it on the throttle body but its on

ill get some pics later
z 2008 zuma 50
olive 2008 setlla
1979 tomos
jmkjr72

Post by jmkjr72 »

well just an update as i ahvent been over here in a while

i put close to 5000 miles on the scoot with the efi set up on it

the down side is the fuel pump draws so much that if you are a low rpm short hopper it will draw your battery down

but there are big changes in for the zuma over the winter

i will be increasing displacement again i am aiming for 100 cc and staying liquid cooled and fuel injected

this will change the power band of the scoot down in the rpm band but it will have killer torque to pull some other gears
if i have it all figured out right the z will do 70 at 10500 rpm with the new crank and bore and gears
z 2008 zuma 50
olive 2008 setlla
1979 tomos
Silver Streak

Post by Silver Streak »

So, you generally have it sorted out... other than the fuel pump current draw problem?

It would be interesting to hear about how the install went, how you debugged it, and any performance gains.

I've been wondering how well of these FI kits would work on a kitted Stella 4T.

Good thread.
Dave

www.glyphukulele.com

"You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice."
waspmike

Post by waspmike »

I like the project but you won't get much benefit in economy versus a properly set up carburetor. Fun to do though.

As for turbo again fun but I doubt it will work. The turbo blows mixture into the crankcase but the scavenging is still controlled by the ports. Not to mention the increased pressure in the crankcase which may require better seals.

You could directly charge the cylinder but then you'll need direct injection. Unless you feed the turbo directly into the crankcase but again the scavenging is still controlled by the ports

Not so much fun but you would be better off simply padding the crank case?

Maybe a turbo Vespa LX 50?
jmkjr72

Post by jmkjr72 »

Silver Streak wrote:So, you generally have it sorted out... other than the fuel pump current draw problem?

It would be interesting to hear about how the install went, how you debugged it, and any performance gains.

I've been wondering how well of these FI kits would work on a kitted Stella 4T.

Good thread.
well i had better throttle response and a 20% increase in mpg on my 70cc set up

as for more top speed im sure there was more there as it did flow better but i limited my revs as i was still running an oem yamaha crank and could rev to 13000 rpm if i had tried to do that for a long period of time i would have killed the crank
and after a crank failure on my stella i dont care to ahve another crank fai at 60 mph

i just went in and tinkered with the settings and matt at ecotrons will help you out if you send him the data logs

part of the winter build to 100cc will include sending the stator off to be rewond to see how much more juice i can get

the hard part is finding a nice 54mm hm liquid cooled bore they are very limited as to what is out there
z 2008 zuma 50
olive 2008 setlla
1979 tomos
jmkjr72

Post by jmkjr72 »

waspmike wrote:I like the project but you won't get much benefit in economy versus a properly set up carburetor. Fun to do though.

As for turbo again fun but I doubt it will work. The turbo blows mixture into the crankcase but the scavenging is still controlled by the ports. Not to mention the increased pressure in the crankcase which may require better seals.

You could directly charge the cylinder but then you'll need direct injection. Unless you feed the turbo directly into the crankcase but again the scavenging is still controlled by the ports

Not so much fun but you would be better off simply padding the crank case?

Maybe a turbo Vespa LX 50?
boost is no big deal on a 2 stroke heck there are lots of boosted 2 strokes out there just hasnt been done much in the scooter world

i ahve seen several 2 stroke snowmobiles
and there are places out there turboing banshee quads

there is a killer p series scoot out there that is running on boost and is fast as all get go
z 2008 zuma 50
olive 2008 setlla
1979 tomos
skully93

Post by skully93 »

Wow, that's quite the modification on the Zuma!

I have an 09 that is fairly stock. I just put boppers on it yesterday, and it has new rollers/leo vince pipe and a throttle mod, but it really tops out @ 35 with me on it. I'm sure I could tinker and get it faster, but really it runs so smooth I'm not going to mess with it.
jmkjr72

Post by jmkjr72 »

with a zx and the right rollers and tmod you chould be hitting 40 to 45 with an 09

what rollers are you running allt he 4.3 that came with the zx or are you running a mix of 1/2 leo and 1/2 oem (this should be about 5.5 grams)

also have you had the recall done or not if so dont do it as they lean the carb out
z 2008 zuma 50
olive 2008 setlla
1979 tomos
skully93

Post by skully93 »

I don't think the carb was replaced one mine.

I have 6 gram rollers in there now. It did have the 4.3's from the pipe, but it was revving way too high. made it zip a bit faster to 30 but it topped out there.

The jet was adjusted a bit, but I couldn't tell you to what length. It's super smooth, but it really doesn't go any faster than 35. Perhaps some additional tuning needs to done. less of a stress now that I have the buddy 150, but I'd like it performing at max, whether I keep it or not.
jmkjr72

Post by jmkjr72 »

well i should have my crank here soon as well as the adjustable oil pump

so all i need now is a nice agressive 54mm liquid cooled bore

i ended up with a 43mm crank instead of a 44 or 45 like i wanted but the price was right and it is an athena crank that should be good for more revs then i will ever put it thru

and most the other cranks i found the sellers were saying they were only safe till about 10000 rpm
z 2008 zuma 50
olive 2008 setlla
1979 tomos