My neighbor has bought 3 Maxi scooters

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

CWO4GUNNER

My neighbor has bought 3 Maxi scooters

Post by CWO4GUNNER »

A neighbor on the next block has been roaring around the neighborhood and loacl parkways on a maxi scooter for 2 years. As many neighbors on other blocks we have never spoken until fate had us meet at the community mailbox on our scooters, me on the Pamplona and he on his Maxi he calls no brand. Turns out he loved these Chinese scooters and rides them everywhere he said that he buys from a place called scooter depot. Only thing is he said they don't last very long as he has gone through 3 of the exact same scooter in the last 2 years, but claims that at only $1200 are worth every penny.

He asked what I was riding I told him a Genuine Scooter, a very well established and will liked importer that works with a good Taiwanese manufacture who provide very good support and quality management. He told me that they are all say they are made in Taiwan but are really all the same and designed to drive into the ground and buy new. I told him the Genuine has a reputation for last over 20K miles without major repair.

We are supposed to trade rides next time we meed to compare differences. Amazing to me how such a fancy looking bike on the outside can die so fast on the inside going through 3 maxi scooters in 2 years.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Over time, he'll spend as much or more than if he'd just bought a good scoot to start with. What's he doing with the trashed scooters? Throwing them away? I don't get the logic of this.

I suppose if someone is open to having a cheap, horribly unreliable vehicle, this might make sense, but I don't think the savings are SO great that it does.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Let's see. He is paying $1200 per year for his scooter. I paid $2700 for a Buddy and it has just finished it's four year. No major repairs. I win !?! :mrgreen:
CWO4GUNNER

Post by CWO4GUNNER »

The funny thing is the guy is really nice older then me and used to work on race hot-rods he says. I believe him cause he went into detail how he had to do allot of maintenance like adjusting the valves almost ever 1000 miles otherwise they lose power and MPG, that the belts brake about every 500 miles and runs a little rough some times and that eventually the engine just wear out between 5 and 10K miles. But what he likes is how nice they look and loves the idea of being able to afford buying a new different color scooter every year or so. He said he works part time and some of his co-workers bought after seeing his but were not as happy becasue they don't know how or where to get maintenance done on these scooters.

Yes he did said he dose have to eventually trash them after swamping parts and cannibalizing what he needs and why he buys the same scooter. Since I am intrigued why anyone would own one I'm keeping my opinion to myself so that I can ride it and get a closer look. Not that I would ever want one especially after reading the sellers reviews and BBB complaints (F-rated). But Im still amazed how and why they can and would make something engineered so poorly look so very good, complete with top case.

The whole time he had it idling I couldn't help notice the mirrors vibrating pretty strongly. He could not believe my Buddy being so small could fit a 150 motor or thy at it could go 55 with a man on it. I for one am anxious to meet up again and go for a long ride and trade scooters.
cdwise

Post by cdwise »

Hmm, I'm not a fan of the asian style maxi scoots. Recently traded in the one we had for a new BV 500 but our Buddy is 5 years old gets ridden pretty much every day since my son has been riding it to high school for hte last 3.5 years (got his m/c license at 15 per Texas law restricting under 16 to 250cc with m/c license). In all that time we've had to replace a mirror (my son knocked it into a brick wall damaging the mirror) and reconnect the horn wire other than oil changes and a new battery as needed.

In other words virtually no problems only routine maintenance.
Hellvis

Post by Hellvis »

You cannot change the mindset of those kind of people, they like it and they are happy for what they are paying for.

I just don't get it what goes on in their brains. I did what I call a major service at 10K, like chaning out the belt, sliders, valve adjustment, etc. etc. and it'll go another 10K w/o a problem and even further. I love my Blackjack, it's used everyda and since we have a mild climate it's ridden year round.

To each it's own, I would never spend a single penny on these low quality scooter or any vehicle.
Live long and prosper.
CWO4GUNNER

Post by CWO4GUNNER »

I agree, but I wonder what is the mind set of the manufacturers. The bicycles made in CPC China for import here are the same way. CPC China mountain bikes sold by Waly-Mart for $99 have all the features of the $500 mountain bikes in the physical sense (looks) but only last 1/20th as long. Even the bearing and bearing races deform and crumble after 1 year gentle riding, cables snap, gears bend, and peddle cranks wear-out. So in a way I guess those items are made disposable and that is the way you have to treat them.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I, for one, don't want to be doing 70mph when I discover just how "disposable" a part on a scooter is.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
rsrider

Post by rsrider »

The materials consumed (assuming that they are new) making these things and the problem of disposing of them every year, doesn't make any economic or environmental sense. People who buy these things are willfully ignorant and we all suffer for their shortsightedness.

It's like all the disposable Chinese garbage that people buy from WalMart. That giant, swirling plastic monster out in the pacific will continue to get bigger. My only hope is that the radiation from the Japanese reactor breach doesn't somehow animate it, and it attacks the west coast. We just don't have enough flame throwers.... :lol:
Using the internet for evil since 1994.
CWO4GUNNER

Post by CWO4GUNNER »

rsrider wrote:The materials consumed (assuming that they are new) making these things and the problem of disposing of them every year, doesn't make any economic or environmental sense. People who buy these things are willfully ignorant and we all suffer for their shortsightedness.

It's like all the disposable Chinese garbage that people buy from WalMart. That giant, swirling plastic monster out in the pacific will continue to get bigger. My only hope is that the radiation from the Japanese reactor breach doesn't somehow animate it, and it attacks the west coast. We just don't have enough flame throwers.... :lol:
Agreed!
By the way your avatar is so dated I doubt most people can appreciate what a iconic cool and funny movie that was. I guess in way it stands for the same thing as comedy was once genuine, without having to scrape the bottom of the garbage can to get a laugh.
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

rsrider wrote:It's like all the disposable Chinese garbage that people buy from WalMart.
http://www.walmartmovie.com/
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

BootScootin'FireFighter wrote:
rsrider wrote:It's like all the disposable Chinese garbage that people buy from WalMart.
I watched the WalMart Movie in 2005 and have stepped foot inside one since.

Howard
Iron Butt Association Member Number 42256
Club - The Sky Island Riders.
Publisher: The Scooter 'Zine thescooterzine.com
jasondavis48108

Post by jasondavis48108 »

Howardr wrote:
BootScootin'FireFighter wrote:
I watched the WalMart Movie in 2005 and have stepped foot inside one since.

Howard
Yup, The whole model of the big box retail outfit is antithetical to selling quality products that will last a lifetime. You really have to buy from small local businesses if you want quality products that are backed by living human beings. If your not worried about the quality then all these outfits are basically the same

http://www.greenamerica.org/programs/sw ... recard.cfm

btw I shop at Target all the damn time so I'm certainly not going to tell anyone not to shop at WalMart, that would lead to a pot kettle paradox :lol:
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
cdwise

Post by cdwise »

I prefer Target to Walmart any day but sometimes, especially when I'm up in the Colorado Rockies Walmart is the only option within 75 miles. I buy local when possible but do try to avoid the biggest tourist targeting shops in the ski areas
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

I'm not a fan of Chinese Scooters

That being said...if he enjoys them... that's his business

Ride what you like and like what you ride!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

Someone was trashing chinese scooter dealer the other day on craiglist. I almost bought from that guy but discovered in time just how bad those scooters are. The one thing that puzzled me about the dude who was warning others not to buy from this scooter deer stated that he previously bought 2 other chinese scooters and both times they were bad.
I just could not understand why anyone woul buy something they say is a bad product 2 more times
I am not a scooter snob.
I am a scooter connoisseur
Raiderfn31

Re: My neighbor has bought 3 Maxi scooters

Post by Raiderfn31 »

CWO4GUNNER wrote:A neighbor on the next block has been roaring around the neighborhood and loacl parkways on a maxi scooter for 2 years. As many neighbors on other blocks we have never spoken until fate had us meet at the community mailbox on our scooters, me on the Pamplona and he on his Maxi he calls no brand. Turns out he loved these Chinese scooters and rides them everywhere he said that he buys from a place called scooter depot. Only thing is he said they don't last very long as he has gone through 3 of the exact same scooter in the last 2 years, but claims that at only $1200 are worth every penny.

He asked what I was riding I told him a Genuine Scooter, a very well established and will liked importer that works with a good Taiwanese manufacture who provide very good support and quality management. He told me that they are all say they are made in Taiwan but are really all the same and designed to drive into the ground and buy new. I told him the Genuine has a reputation for last over 20K miles without major repair.

We are supposed to trade rides next time we meed to compare differences. Amazing to me how such a fancy looking bike on the outside can die so fast on the inside going through 3 maxi scooters in 2 years.
NO NO NO....I like tight fitting machinery. Ive got a "good" chinese scoot, but my St Tropez is a WHOLE different ballgame
"When your lawyer looks at you like you deserve whats coming, you may begin to sweat."
Raiderfn31

Post by Raiderfn31 »

Stormswift wrote:Someone was trashing chinese scooter dealer the other day on craiglist. I almost bought from that guy but discovered in time just how bad those scooters are. The one thing that puzzled me about the dude who was warning others not to buy from this scooter deer stated that he previously bought 2 other chinese scooters and both times they were bad.
I just could not understand why anyone woul buy something they say is a bad product 2 more times
Did you see that 150 vespa for $900 on craigslist?
"When your lawyer looks at you like you deserve whats coming, you may begin to sweat."
CWO4GUNNER

Post by CWO4GUNNER »

BuddyRaton wrote:I'm not a fan of Chinese Scooters

That being said...if he enjoys them... that's his business

Ride what you like and like what you ride!
Agreed! I may not like cheaply made goods like CPC Chinese scooters, but I will fight to defend the right of anyone to sell or buy them, of there free will of-course. I read an article in Genuine News that CPC China routinely requires by law the sale of old scooters and the purchase of new in mass, all for your own good of-course. :roll:
chloefpuff

Post by chloefpuff »

CWO4GUNNER wrote:
rsrider wrote:The materials consumed (assuming that they are new) making these things and the problem of disposing of them every year, doesn't make any economic or environmental sense. People who buy these things are willfully ignorant and we all suffer for their shortsightedness.

Agreed!
By the way your avatar is so dated I doubt most people can appreciate what a iconic cool and funny movie that was. I guess in way it stands for the same thing as comedy was once genuine, without having to scrape the
bottom of the garbage can to get a laugh.
Guessing here, "The King of Comedy" with Lewis and DeNiro? That was a cool movie (I think it was, I saw it in the theater a billion years ago).
so tough, so pink
CWO4GUNNER

Post by CWO4GUNNER »

chloefpuff wrote:
CWO4GUNNER wrote:

Agreed!
By the way your avatar is so dated I doubt most people can appreciate what a iconic cool and funny movie that was. I guess in way it stands for the same thing as comedy was once genuine, without having to scrape the
bottom of the garbage can to get a laugh.
Guessing here, "The King of Comedy" with Lewis and DeNiro? That was a cool movie (I think it was, I saw it in the theater a billion years ago).
Nope way off... But here a hint..What 1996 movie comedy staring Eddie Murphy who play the role of multiple characters was the remake to the movie depicted in rsrider's avatar (Buddy Love).
rsrider

Post by rsrider »

Haha Wait till I throw up my next one.
Ravenhurst, you rat catcher!!!
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

CWO4GUNNER wrote:I may not like cheaply made goods like CPC Chinese scooters, but I will fight to defend the right of anyone to sell or buy them, of there free will of-course.
The problem is that most people who buy the poorly-built Chinese knockoffs do so simply because they don't know anything about them or how they compare to better-built machines. I don't think it is a good idea to defend the "right" of people to act in ignorance or the "right" of unscrupulous dealers to deceive customers (and that is one role served by boards like this :wink: ).
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

Dooglas wrote:
CWO4GUNNER wrote:I may not like cheaply made goods like CPC Chinese scooters, but I will fight to defend the right of anyone to sell or buy them, of there free will of-course.
The problem is that most people who buy the poorly-built Chinese knockoffs do so simply because they don't know anything about them or how they compare to better-built machines. I don't think it is a good idea to defend the "right" of people to act in ignorance or the "right" of unscrupulous dealers to deceive customers (and that is one role served by boards like this :wink: ).
My biggest issue is with those who look at my Buddy and say they paid 1/3 for theirs and tell me I got ripped off..... They look at price ONLY!
Someone I know with a Rocketta "Moped" (yes it's a 150cc but he still says it's a "Moped") constantly tells me his is "better" however it's nearly always in his garage not being ridden because something-or-another is broken...
BTW: Nearly 9000 miles on my Buddy and the only thing I've had 'broken' is the rear tire, it wore out!! :P
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
jprestonian

Post by jprestonian »

There's no shortage of reality-challenged people in our country, if you hadn't noticed.

"Yes -- I do think it's a good idea to pay under $1000 for something that will do 50MPH+!"

D'oh.
CWO4GUNNER

Post by CWO4GUNNER »

Dooglas wrote:
I understand your principal and it necessary as parents for us not the government to give our children corporal boundaries without choice sometimes. But far worse is the expectation that any central government would do nothing but ruin an already fragile economy by telling adults what we must and must not buy base on trivial value choices. Forcing people to live or buy a certain way is a huge mistake. basic fundamental laws are one thing, forcing ideologies is something we have always fought against. Im a hardcore Christian but I would fight to defend your right to reject what I believe. That is the essence of true constitutional freedom and the bill of rights.
jprestonian

Post by jprestonian »

Hey, if the product meets safety requirements, I'm all for letting fools part with their money however they like. The problem with a lot of Chinese goods -- as we've seen from toys to pet food to infant formula -- is that they don't often meet safety standards. Add to that less regulation, less inspections and tort reform, and it's more caveat emptor than ever before. That might be your idea of paradise, but I dont think it's working out all that well for the majority of Somalians.
rsrider

Post by rsrider »

jprestonian wrote:Hey, if the product meets safety requirements, I'm all for letting fools part with their money however they like. The problem with a lot of Chinese goods -- as we've seen from toys to pet food to infant formula -- is that they don't often meet safety standards. Add to that less regulation, less inspections and tort reform, and it's more caveat emptor than ever before. That might be your idea of paradise, but I dont think it's working out all that well for the majority of Somalians.
This +lots

They idea of unchecked capitalism is absurd. Rules and regulations are there for a reason, protection of consumers and the environment. Selling garbage products that are dangerous, add to the destruction of the environment, and mislead the purchaser have no place in the commodity pipeline. Those who would defend this type of manufacturing and distribution need to get a reality check about the consequences of exploitation. We're in the 21st century, not the 18th.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Here's what's funny:

There are plenty of smart, fairly savvy people with normally sound judgment and common sense when it comes to most things who lose all of this when presented with what appears to be a ridiculously good deal. Another factor that plays into this is that buyers tend to regard scooters differently than they would cars, electronics or other products. The "toy" perception is part of this.

Again and again I tell people they're crap. And again and again they don't listen. Or they'll say, "I know you said this is crap, but…"

Sigh.
rsrider

Post by rsrider »

ericalm wrote:Here's what's funny:

There are plenty of smart, fairly savvy people with normally sound judgment and common sense when it comes to most things who lose all of this when presented with what appears to be a ridiculously good deal. Another factor that plays into this is that buyers tend to regard scooters differently than they would cars, electronics or other products. The "toy" perception is part of this.

Again and again I tell people they're crap. And again and again they don't listen. Or they'll say, "I know you said this is crap, but…"

Sigh.
Have your tried tazering them?
chloefpuff

Post by chloefpuff »

Perhaps said neighbor likes working on his Chinese scoots, and that's the appeal?
so tough, so pink
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

CWO4GUNNER wrote: Forcing people to live or buy a certain way is a huge mistake. basic fundamental laws are one thing, forcing ideologies is something we have always fought against. Im a hardcore Christian but I would fight to defend your right to reject what I believe. That is the essence of true constitutional freedom and the bill of rights.
A careful read of what I said will show that I did not say that individuals should not make their own independent choices. I said that they should have the opportunity to make informed choices. And I said that Boards like this were one way that individuals get the information they need to make informed choices. No force involved there and no ideologies involved either (unless ignorance is an ideology :) ).
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

rsrider wrote:
ericalm wrote:Here's what's funny:

Sigh.
Have your tried tazering them?
Only once.
CWO4GUNNER

Post by CWO4GUNNER »

rsrider wrote:Haha Wait till I throw up my next one.
That was also an all time great family comedy, the famous quote I will always remember lol. "No! The pellet with the poison's in the flagon with the dragon! The vessel with the pestle has the brew that is true!"
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

CWO4GUNNER wrote:
rsrider wrote:Haha Wait till I throw up my next one.
That was also an all time great family comedy, the famous quote I will always remember lol. "No! The pellet with the poison's in the flagon with the dragon! The vessel with the pestle has the brew that is true!"
Danny Kaye, in "The Court Jester," if i recall correctly.
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

There's an interesting related thread in ADVRider's Battle Scooter forum. Essentially, a guy with some mechanical aptitude decided to buy a Chinese scoot as an experiment, just to see for himself how good/bad they really are.

It's admittedly a small sample size but I have to say that it's an interesting read. Very objective and somewhat enlightening.

Disclaimer: he hasn't changed my mind about Chinese scoots for newbies. On the other hand, if you're well versed in 2 wheeled mechanics, the right one could be a decent choice.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=666002
Andy

2006 Buddy 125 (orange), going to a good MB home
2009 Vespa 250 GTS (black)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 (black)
2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, traded for Tiger 800
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

Well, each to his own taste, as the old lady said when she kissed the pig. I suppose that wet-nursing a Chinese scooter isn't that much different from bringing a Cushman Vespa barn find back to its old pristine self. Except of course, when you're finished restoring the Vespa, you have a high quality, collectible scooter. When you're finished repairing the Chinese scooter, if ever, you still have a potentially lethal POS.
jasondavis48108

Post by jasondavis48108 »

PeterC wrote:Well, each to his own taste, as the old lady said when she kissed the pig. I suppose that wet-nursing a Chinese scooter isn't that much different from bringing a Cushman Vespa barn find back to its old pristine self. Except of course, when you're finished restoring the Vespa, you have a high quality, collectible scooter. When you're finished repairing the Chinese scooter, if ever, you still have a potentially lethal POS.
:rofl:

I disagree, if you hold on to it for long enough all the other Chinese scoots will be long gone and you'll have a highly collectible lethal POS. :lol:
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
CWO4GUNNER

Post by CWO4GUNNER »

CPC-Chinese scooters, "You cant live with them, you cant fix them"
:rofl:
hg3

Post by hg3 »

Yes - the different makes of these China made scooters, may make you wonder how they pay the many people that keep coming up with new frame designs and names.

I purchased one just to take apart - so got a 150cc off Craig for 300.00 [excellent shape = lady claimed it had electrical problem - which it did ]- but it even ran. For me a good learning situation in just removing the plastic shell. I maybe the one who "holds on to it for long enough all the other Chinese scoots will be long gone and you'll have a highly collectible lethal POS."

Even have storage space picked out. lol