First Impressions - Buddy 170

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

pugbuddy

First Impressions - Buddy 170

Post by pugbuddy »

I figured I would start a new thread for thoughts on performance, etc... of the new Buddy. I rode last night (only a little as I had other things to do) and to work this morning. First thoughts:

Doesn't seem as smooth as my 125, but that could be familiarity. It has a little different feel to it, no doubt.

Is it slightly taller? I'm probably just shrinking in my old age.

The pet carrier gets very hot very fast. I rode it 4 miles to a gas station last night to fuel up and was surprised at how hot it got under the seat!

Speedo hit 70 mph (BuddySpeed) on the BA (SH 51) this morning. Wasn't WOT; wasn't even trying hard. Engine smooth as can be. Very nice! 8)

Not sure about the Prima tires. They don't seem to be very "grippy".

Fuel gage only went up to 3/4 tank even though I filled up. I seem to recall this kind of issue with previous Buddys? I know it happened once or twice with my 125 but it seemed to work it out. I will say it was on DROP DEAD EMPTY when I filled it up and it still made 4 miles easy. Nice to know I won't immediately be stranded if it gets that low.

I plan on riding a LOT this holiday weekend so I'll see how it feels and post more! Give your thoughts if you have a new one!
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).
Raiderfn31

Post by Raiderfn31 »

Im a little envious of the 170, but I got a great deal on a 150. Hope everything goes smoothly for you.
"When your lawyer looks at you like you deserve whats coming, you may begin to sweat."
Tweak
Dealer

Post by Tweak »

well here at the shop we were very disappointed with power even with taking in perspective the unit is not broke in but still not that much of a noticeable difference and the fact a very lightly modded 150 pulled away from it so drastically
'07 Buddy 150
171cc and some other goodies

Go Big or Go Home
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

It *is* slightly taller, BTW.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

It is pretty good going uphill (we have a few large hills here in Tulsa); it didn't really lose much at all in speed after being at a dead stop just before the climb.

The engine is really smooth (at least to me) regardless of speed. I suppose the FI has something to do with that.

My gas gage began dropping after only 30 miles! I'm a little over (if that) 1/2 tank of gas right now; surely it will do better than 60 miles a gallon?!? Not sure I can afford $10 in gas per week! :wink: Of course, it is early.

Came back on the BA and again had no issues with speed except when I was heading into a high wind. Then it would drop to 65 BS or so.
desmolicious

Post by desmolicious »

pugbuddy wrote: My gas gage began dropping after only 30 miles! I'm a little over (if that) 1/2 tank of gas right now; surely it will do better than 60 miles a gallon?!? Not sure I can afford $10 in gas per week! :wink: Of course, it is early.
Don't trust the gas gauge. Fill it up and see how much was used, then you'll know your mpg.

The gauge on my new Stella 4T is at E after 60 miles! Even though there is about 80 miles left..
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

Overall, I don't trust it. But the gage on my old 125 was pretty accurate so I figured this one would be too. "Not yet"! :roll:
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Remember too that MPG will improve as the scooter breaks in (at least, it will if it is anything like my non-FI Buddy).

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

congrats pugbuddy, I did not know you got a 170! I am sure the gas milage will improve. I was curious about the hot pet carrier. My 125 always stays nice and cool and I have no problem putting groceries in there. My vespa pet carrier on the other hand, gets so freaking hot I thought there was something wrong with it...there is not-its just that way. I don't put anything under there that can spoil or melt. I wonder if the extra cc's make the 170 hotter? I am looking forward to full throttle reports!
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

Thanks Peabody! I think the mileage will improve but it won't be as good as my 98 mpg Buddy 125. I'm hoping to get 75-85 mpg though. Or maybe that's just a dream....

I'll check on the pet carrier; I had the throttle wide open while on the BA today but didn't check the carrier after I parked.

I plan to ride a lot this weekend (after I put my new Shad SH 33 topcase on) and will have more information after that.
CWO4GUNNER

Post by CWO4GUNNER »

Not surprised in fact expected that compared to your 125cc which is the original spec design piston displacement for that weighted crank-shaft throw and balance. Now that that engine has been oversize to it extreme limits, these are the classic symptoms of increased heat, vibration and lower red-line RPM that single cylinder MOTO and Endure motorcycles experiences when they try and oversize displacement to maximum tolerances for a crack that was originally balanced for its intended size.

I highly recommend you consider based on burn going to the next lower heat range plug and avoid revving the 170 engine as high as you do your 125. I would also consider a variator with larger fan fins and avoid any variator like Dr Pully that has diminished fan blades. Just a recommendation. While I don't think youll have any problem with the engine if driven normally, I would not be pushing that engine by racing it to often.

Your perspective is unique becasue you own and drive the same engine in its original 125cc designed displacement for that crank-shaft. Others wont notice these differences unless the design starts experiencing problems which the jury is still out on as with any new model with big changes. Time will only tell and I'm willing to wait and see.

Incidentally congratulations. Honest concerns aside, If I had not bought my 150 three weeks ago and knew the 170I was coming out, I would have bought the 170I just like you, regardless of my reservations, mostly for the upgrade to FI :)
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

Ran it out of gas! Took a while but the odometer went from a flat "4" to 100.1. Based on my filling it up immediately after (I took a few laps around a parking lot to run it out and then pushed it to the gas station next door), I got roughly 84+ mpg. Not bad at all.

I was surprised to find that filling it up (to when the gas pump, which I was holding a little high to get a bit more gas, shut off) was only 1.138 gallons. Seems a bit "lite" to me. However, I'm happy with the results as I expect the mileage to get better once it's broken in.

Also, the gas gage went all the way to "Full" when I filled it up so maybe it will be a little more accurate this time (I rode the last 30 miles or so with the gas needle "grounded out" below empty!).

It still accelerates smoothly at all speeds and handles higher speeds (70 BS mph) very well. Overall I'm very happy with the purchase!

Unrelated note: Put on my new SHAD SH 33 top-case this morning before the ride. It took much longer than I expected and I don't see myself ever removing it because it's just too rough. However, it is a good fit on the Buddy and the black looks fine with the darker "racing green" of the bike! 8)
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

pugbuddy wrote:...I rode the last 30 miles or so with the gas needle "grounded out" below empty!...
I did a similar test on my 150. I learned that I got 20 - 25 miles from the time the needle started resting on the little empty tab thingy.
Last edited by Skootz Kabootz on Sun May 29, 2011 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
gearhead

Post by gearhead »

Sweeet! Bring it to nola :D
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Thanks for all the updates though I would like to caution against running a fuel injected engine until the tank is completely empty. It could be bad for the fuel pump since most are cooled and lubricated by the fuel itself. If run dry, the pump could overheat while running dry and while it's trying to re-prime itself after a fill-up. Other than that, it sounds like a great adventure with your new toy. It's always nice to have something new and shiny to beat-up, er, I mean break-in! :D
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

Yes, I don't plan to drain it dry again; this was just a test to see how far it would go on a tank. Around 96 miles is not bad!

Jed, no telling yet. I was hoping to hear by Friday last but, of course, nothing. I did call them and they said the hang up was that they wanted to hire more people than they were given the "ok" for, which would be good. The delay seems to be that they have to get the "ok" for the rest to be hired and they want to inform everyone at once.

However, they also said they may try to hire people in two groups--one group in mid-June, the next at the end of June. If that is so--and I am in the "end of June" group, I may yet make NOLA! Would be very cool riding the new scoot down there. 8)
Raiderfn31

Post by Raiderfn31 »

Tweak wrote:well here at the shop we were very disappointed with power even with taking in perspective the unit is not broke in but still not that much of a noticeable difference and the fact a very lightly modded 150 pulled away from it so drastically

Thats what I was thinking all along. 8)
"When your lawyer looks at you like you deserve whats coming, you may begin to sweat."
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

Raiderfn31 wrote:
Tweak wrote:well here at the shop we were very disappointed with power even with taking in perspective the unit is not broke in but still not that much of a noticeable difference and the fact a very lightly modded 150 pulled away from it so drastically

Thats what I was thinking all along. 8)
I'm not a techy but I think the power if fine. After the initial burst, it levels out but the scooter runs very smoothly at high speeds (70 BS being the top speed I have run at so far) and holds them easier. To me, it is much more comfortable to ride this at higher speeds than my 125.