Wife thinks I should thin the herd...

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Kaos

Wife thinks I should thin the herd...

Post by Kaos »

The wife told me the other day that when she said that the only requirement on the garage was that her car still fit didn't mean that I should fill the rest up with bikes... I don't think its that bad :P
(though there is one more scoot that didn't fit in the photo...)
Attachments
IMAG0039.jpg
IMAG0039.jpg (175.54 KiB) Viewed 2811 times
Ressikan

Post by Ressikan »

My wife feels the same about the computers I have piled up in the basement...*sigh* ... they just don't understand!
"You haven't lived until you ride."

"Everything is better with bacon."

ScootsMcGillicuddy

Post by ScootsMcGillicuddy »

Ressikan wrote:My wife feels the same about the computers I have piled up in the basement...*sigh* ... they just don't understand!
Hey Now!

Don't be draggin' all us wives into this stereotyping!!

I need my husband to come to in here and help me out on this!
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

I just have a small box of computer stuff. Brand new big floppy disks (saving for when it is collectors item) a 486 numeric processor I kept for a souvenir after I did fist ever part replacement on my own.Two IPAQs, some memory chips that will never fit any computer unless I travel back in time.....a small and a big floppy drives (just in case I ever need to read something off an old floppy disk)...all of the hard drives from all of the old computers because I am paranoid (well the last one from the laptop is in an enclosure so it is still in use) All of the junk we accumulate over the years...
I cannot imagine you ride all of your scooter in your stable all the time. I would keep the motorcycle and one scooter and sell the rest unless your wife also rides one of the sscoots and wants to keep it.
I am not a scooter snob.
I am a scooter connoisseur
irishtim

Post by irishtim »

I can see both floorpsace AND light. Why is this an issue? :roll:
OH,PA,IN,WV,KY,TN,WI,MI,SC,ON,BDA
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

The problem with computers is you need a new one every few years (to keep up with software that really doesn't need to be updated) and you can't bring yourself to throw away something you spent $2 grand on, and it's not like anyone else wants it.

The difference with scooters is it really is possible to love them all, and they keep their value a LITTLE better than computers, especially the vintage ones.

I have way less garage space than that with almost as many scooters, it looks like King Tut's tomb in my garage. The bigger problem for me (and MY wife) is paying insurance and registration and city tags for all of them, which is super NOT cheap in Chicago.

Bryan
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

irishtim wrote:I can see both floorpsace AND light. Why is this an issue? :roll:
Yeah, really!
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Looks pretty sparse to me. I think you could easily fit 3 or 4 more in there.
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

the scooters look so innocent lined up like that. It would be hard to go in and tell one "hey you, you're outta here" .
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

BuddyRaton wrote:Looks pretty sparse to me. I think you could easily fit 3 or 4 more in there.
I could fit AT LEAST 3 or 4 more in there :P

But the wife is probably right that I don't really need 2 nearly identical 1974 Vespa Supers, and a Bajaj Chetak which is almost the same as a Vespa :P

I think that more than likely I'll sell off the Chetak and one of the Vespas, then I've got a twisty, a shifty, and a big bike. That covers the bases nicely....
(and leaves room for a sidecar rig...)
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

peabody99 wrote:the scooters look so innocent lined up like that. It would be hard to go in and tell one "hey you, you're outta here" .
And the problem is that I'll start thinking of selling one, then I'll go ride it and remember how much fun that particular bike is...
Syd

Post by Syd »

Kaos wrote:...and one of the Vespas...
Hmm, when are you heading down to the Valley again?
The majority is always sane - Nessus
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

High-five to ScootsMcGillicuddy!

Yeah Kaos, you should sell me that Vespa Super. I will gladly pay you Tuesday for a scooter today. :D
ModBud #442
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Syd wrote:
Kaos wrote:...and one of the Vespas...
Hmm, when are you heading down to the Valley again?
I could probably make a trip if you wanted it... It'd be a good excuse :P
Raiderfn31

Post by Raiderfn31 »

peabody99 wrote:the scooters look so innocent lined up like that. It would be hard to go in and tell one "hey you, you're outta here" .
i just read this quote while listening to "In the arms of an angel" I think Im gonna cry................. :cry:
"When your lawyer looks at you like you deserve whats coming, you may begin to sweat."
heyitsomid

Post by heyitsomid »

Just get a bigger garage!
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

heyitsomid wrote:Just get a bigger garage!
We just got this one a few months ago :P

Besides, as BuddyRaton so kindly pointed out, you can clearly see at least a 4 scootspot surplus in the garage.
CWO4GUNNER

Post by CWO4GUNNER »

Looks like you have at least 2 collectible investments so they don't really count. You should see my garage. Ill post a pic later as I'm the one who needs to sell something.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

CWO4GUNNER wrote:Looks like you have at least 2 collectible investments so they don't really count. You should see my garage. Ill post a pic later as I'm the one who needs to sell something.
3 really, as the Honda CB-1(The streetbike to the left) was only produced for 2 years(89 and 90) and is quite in demand with racers due to the fact that it redlines at 14,5k RPM.

So that means there's really only 2 bikes in the garage, and that seems reasonable to me...

And really, the Buddy is the ONLY one on the planet with a GTS250 in it, so its a rare and valuable 'investment' too. So there's only 1 bike in there. Nobody can get mad about that!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Ditch the Chetak! :P
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

ericalm wrote:Ditch the Chetak! :P
I gotta FIX the Chetak first :P
The engine seized last summer, and I tore it down right before I moved. I've got everything I need to fix it, but somewhere in my move I lost the cam sprocket, and am having a hard time finding a new one.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Investment? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

BuddyRaton wrote:Investment? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
As in thats where I keep all my spare money ;)
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

We sorta felt the same way when we sold one of the kids in order to make space for the jacuzzi. But the folks at the Nike factory seemed nice enough.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Build heavy-duty shelves around the perimeter of the garage to hold the bikes you're not currently riding or working on. This is really common in Europe.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

jrsjr wrote:Build heavy-duty shelves around the perimeter of the garage to hold the bikes you're not currently riding or working on. This is really common in Europe.
I proposed this for my living room. A committee rejected the proposal.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

jrsjr wrote:Build heavy-duty shelves around the perimeter of the garage to hold the bikes you're not currently riding or working on. This is really common in Europe.
Huh, interesting. I'd like to see a picture of that. Its a really great idea :)
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

I knew I'd seen some, but I had to think of where.

Here: http://corazzo.net/the-postale-jacket
viney266

Post by viney266 »

build a bigger garage!...I did...Nice CB1 BTW!
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Kaos wrote:
Huh, interesting. I'd like to see a picture of that. Its a really great idea :)
I'll see what I can do. I have pics somewhere of a garage in Italy with all kinds of motorcycles up on shelves, including vintage racing machines. The guy had all kinds of interesting stuff including a 1960's racing Harley.

Basically, imagine building a small balcony around the interior of your garage. You have to think about how to divide up the vertical space to make room for vehicles under the shelf. You have to support it so it's safe and stable. And you have to have a way to get bikes up and down off the shelf. He had a ramp so the bikes had to be moved to get to whatever bike he wanted to reach.
BuddyLicious

Post by BuddyLicious »

Got to agree with the shelving,I mean look at all the wasted space in the garage.Your using the floor now but still have the walls and ceiling to utilize.

This should make you happy knowing you can easily fit another 5-10 scoots in your garage,he he
Aerosmith, None Other.
BlueMark

Post by BlueMark »

ericalm wrote:
I proposed this for my living room. A committee rejected the proposal.
Shouldn't have asked first ... I'm sure the committee would have loved it once they saw how practical and attractive it was.

BTW ... was I the only one who read the topic name and thought it might be another Zombie thread?
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

That would be "thinning the horde" :lol: :lol: :rofl:
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

Hmmm...how would you get the scooters up there (in a personal garage)...car engine hoist?
Past bikes: 08' Genuine Buddy 125, '07 Yamaha Majesty 400, '07 Piaggio MP3 250, '08 Piaggio MP3 500, '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Current bikes: Two '09 Genuine Buddy 125's
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

viney266 wrote:build a bigger garage!...I did...Nice CB1 BTW!
Thanks! Its a fun bike. :)
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

PeteH wrote:That would be "thinning the horde" :lol: :lol: :rofl:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

For all those armchair zombie killers...
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

Or simply, ditch the chick :P

Trade her car in for a "smart car" and you can fit a whole second row in front of the kids you have lined up!
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

BootScootin'FireFighter wrote:

Trade her car in for a "smart car" and you can fit a whole second row in front of the kids you have lined up!
Yeah, that's not gonna happen. Been happily married to her for 7 years, 8 months, 8 days, and I'd do a lot more than sell off bikes before that changes :)
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

Kaos wrote:
BootScootin'FireFighter wrote:

Yeah, that's not gonna happen. Been happily married to her for 7 years, 8 months, 8 days, and I'd do a lot more than sell off bikes before that changes :)
Congratulations. I was just being a smart ass. I do like the idea of the shelves though. I could never get rid of my lady either.
zilla86

Post by zilla86 »

The sickness never ends :)

you have a nice stable there and heck you can add to it for sure.
when I saw the mention of shelves I thought about when I visited Guy Websters garage in Ojai CA

I rode with a group of Guzzi friends to Mr Websters home and He gave us a tour of his private collection of rare Italian bikes.
Attachments
IM000352.JPG
IM000352.JPG (143.19 KiB) Viewed 2594 times
IM000357.JPG
IM000357.JPG (129.66 KiB) Viewed 2594 times
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

zilla86 wrote:I rode with a group of Guzzi friends to Mr Websters home and He gave us a tour of his private collection of rare Italian bikes.
:shock:

There's a guy down near Temecula who owns a winery and does private tours of his collection, which from the pics I've seen is just amazing.
zilla86

Post by zilla86 »

^^^ sounds like a cool place to visit I'm going to look it up. 8)
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

...and South Philly. I should do a photo essay on the garage I share one day. :twisted:
ModBud #442
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

polianarchy wrote:
...and South Philly. I should do a photo essay on the garage I share one day. :twisted:
Yes, please!
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

zilla86 wrote:The sickness never ends :)

you have a nice stable there and heck you can add to it for sure.
when I saw the mention of shelves I thought about when I visited Guy Websters garage in Ojai CA

I rode with a group of Guzzi friends to Mr Websters home and He gave us a tour of his private collection of rare Italian bikes.
Ooh, that's awesome. I totally need to do that.