Compact car trailering

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Quo Vadimus

Compact car trailering

Post by Quo Vadimus »

Just bought a hitch for our Honda Fit. Bought it to take our bicycles on our honeymoon this year, but looking forward to the option to trailer our scoots (cautiously, slowly on backroads) to dealers we trust for service.

Does anyone have experience, tips, warnings for trailering with small cars? Is renting from U-Haul a good option if I don't want to buy and store a trailer? You don't have to point me to the page in the manual that says Fits aren't rated for pulling trailers at all. I'll point you to the page that they accidentally left in for all other countries that talks about how to properly pull a trailer. ;)
gbjbany

Uhual Trailer

Post by gbjbany »

Cant speak to the Fit and Trailers but i used the Uhaul Motorcycle trailer to bring my buddy home. It is quite large, way larger than i needed and maybe even larger than the fit itself ! :-) but it worked fine so i would say, imho, you might want to consider a smaller trailer option.
jasondavis48108

Post by jasondavis48108 »

I have a 2008 Honda Fit and could not get the class three trailer hitch installed as they said they did not make them for the Fit. The class 2 hitches really arn't meant for much more than hauling bicycles so you might have a hard time finding a trailer that fits the hitch you have.
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
Quo Vadimus

Post by Quo Vadimus »

The Curt hitch we bought (just class 1) claims to have a max trailer weight of 2,000 pounds (though I'd never put that much behind the Fit). U-Haul makes you select your vehicle and claims the mc trailer (550 pounds) will work... Is there something I'm missing? :-/ We're not thinking of a tilt-a-rack type system where tongue weight would be an issue.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

I was thinking of getting this trailer:
ImageImage

It's called trailer-in-a-bag and weighs 140lbs with a tongue weight of around 120-160lb and works with any class trailer hitch. It comes apart for storage and the longest piece is 42 inches. It's a bit pricy at $1400 for the standard trailer, but I guess if you have a bunch of riding buddies, the cost could be split amongst the group.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
jasondavis48108

Post by jasondavis48108 »

Quo Vadimus wrote: We're not thinking of a tilt-a-rack type system where tongue weight would be an issue.
oh o.k., for some reason I thought that was what you where interested in. Pulling a regular small trailer with wheels shouldn't be too much of an issue so long as it will fit the hitch. Unfortunately lots of trailers are made for class III hitches but they do make them for at least class II (I almost bought one at habor freight). I'm sure they have them for class I as well.
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
jmkjr72

Post by jmkjr72 »

the limiting factor on being able to hook up to a trailer with a class 1 or 2 hitch is the balls
you can only tow things with 1 7/8 or 2 in balls

then the other thing that you need to worry about is getting the proper lift for your draw bar(being you have a small car you will need lift and not a drop like a truck)

yeah and with only a 98 in wheel base towing just about anything will be pusing hte car around

and with a small fwd car you also need to keep your tounge wieght down as much as possible

perosnaly i dont know about just renting a uhaul trailer when you need it they are big and heavy and i have no idea how well they are maintained

your best bet would be a trailer from harbor frieght with 12 in wheels that you can control the wieght of the decking on
z 2008 zuma 50
olive 2008 setlla
1979 tomos
cdwise

Post by cdwise »

We have the trailer in a bag - dual model but it can still be configured for one scoot. I did go with Condor chocks and that makes securing the scoots a breeze. Expensive true but I storage space is at a premium here so it has been worth it. We've trailered 1300 miles with the only incident being my husband not paying sufficient attention when he tightened a strap so we had a little cosmetic damage from the buckle rubbing on the Suzuki but that could (and should) have been avoided.

We pulled 2 scoots including a Suzuki Burgman behind a 4 cyl Rav 4 up to Breckenridge, CO from Texas (yeah, could have ridden the Burgman but that wouldn't have got the two dogs or two kids up there for the summer would it?)
BlueMark

Post by BlueMark »

jmkjr72 wrote:the limiting factor on being able to hook up to a trailer with a class 1 or 2 hitch is the balls
you can only tow things with 1 7/8 or 2 in balls
The nice thing about trailers and hitches is that the balls and couplers are usually swappable. A class 1 hitch can go on almost anything - even a Smart Car or Mini - and is more than adequate to haul a scooter on a small trailer
Last edited by BlueMark on Sun May 29, 2011 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

The hitches for small vehicles such as the FIt have a tongue weight and a total trailer weight rating. You are okay if you do not exceed those ratings. The trailer itself often has a maximum speed rating as well as a maximum load rating. One scooter on a light weight trailer is only about 500-600 lbs (or less) and the tongue weight is certainly well under 100 lb if loaded properly. The only catch is that U-haul trailers are usually much heavier than the light weight trailers usually used for scooters.
BlueMark

Post by BlueMark »

Dooglas wrote:The hitches for small vehicles such as the FIt have a tongue weight and a total trailer weight rating. You are okay if you do not exceed those ratings. The trailer itself often has a maximum speed rating as well as a maximum load rating. One scooter on a light weight trailer is only about 500-600 lbs (or less) and the tongue weight is certainly well under 100 lb if loaded properly. The only catch is that U-haul trailers are usually much heavier than the light weight trailers usually used for scooters.
Typically a class 1 hitch has a tongue weight rating of 200 lbs and trailer weight limit of 2000 lbs - more than adequate for any scooter. The vehicle may have lower limits - for instance the Smart Car with a class 1 hitch has about a 600 lb weight limit - still adequate for anything but the largest maxi-scooters (you have to include trailer weight).

For what it is worth, Honda USA says don't tow with a FIT, but in Europe the FIT/JAZZ is available with Honda factory towing option installed, rated for towing a 450kg (992 lbs) unbraked trailer or a 1000kg (2205 lbs) braked trailer. Towing a single scooter with a class 1 hitch isn't going to get anywhere near either of those limits.
Quo Vadimus

Post by Quo Vadimus »

BlueMark wrote:
For what it is worth, Honda USA says don't tow with a FIT, but in Europe the FIT/JAZZ is available with Honda factory towing option installed
(Thank you, insurance companies.)
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

cdwise wrote:We have the trailer in a bag - dual model but it can still be configured for one scoot. I did go with Condor chocks and that makes securing the scoots a breeze. Expensive true but I storage space is at a premium here so it has been worth it. We've trailered 1300 miles with the only incident being my husband not paying sufficient attention when he tightened a strap so we had a little cosmetic damage from the buckle rubbing on the Suzuki but that could (and should) have been avoided.

We pulled 2 scoots including a Suzuki Burgman behind a 4 cyl Rav 4 up to Breckenridge, CO from Texas (yeah, could have ridden the Burgman but that wouldn't have got the two dogs or two kids up there for the summer would it?)
Thanks for the info. So, does it actually come with a bag? :)
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
jmkjr72

Post by jmkjr72 »

the one thing i didnt see you mention is what the towing capicity of the car its self is

you mention the hitch thats what the hitch is able to deal with but you didnt say anything about what the car is able to deal with

i can slap a bigger hitch on my truck but that doesnt mean i can tow more if my truck isnt rated for it

sure you swap out couplers but then again you may not be able to if its welded on
and also larger trailers with larger hitch balls tend to be a bit wider where the coupler mounts then the smaller trailers
and with hitch balls there are diffrent size shanks and the class 1 hitch will use a ball with the smalest shank out there

and there are diffrences between the us fit and the euro fit
thanks to the crash protection requriments the us fit is about 600lbs hevier then its over seas counter parts

so when you are talking about a littl car 600 lbs is a big diffrence
z 2008 zuma 50
olive 2008 setlla
1979 tomos
Quo Vadimus

Post by Quo Vadimus »

jmkjr72 wrote:
and there are diffrences between the us fit and the euro fit
thanks to the crash protection requriments the us fit is about 600lbs hevier then its over seas counter parts
The Honda UK website puts the Jazz at a curb weight of 1070 kg (2359 pounds). The US website has the Fit at 2489 pounds. The Sport version (the one we have) adds an extra 30 pounds.
cdwise

Post by cdwise »

babblefish wrote:
cdwise wrote:We have the trailer in a bag - dual model but it can still be configured for one scoot. I did go with Condor chocks and that makes securing the scoots a breeze. Expensive true but I storage space is at a premium here so it has been worth it. We've trailered 1300 miles with the only incident being my husband not paying sufficient attention when he tightened a strap so we had a little cosmetic damage from the buckle rubbing on the Suzuki but that could (and should) have been avoided.

Thanks for the info. So, does it actually come with a bag? :)
Ours came with 2 because we have the dual bike model. Putting it in the bag is more trouble than its worth since you have to put it in "just so" if you want to zip it. Besides it takes up less space when I don't put it in the bag. I stand each wheel up on the ground like a t-ball stand and put the rails & other bits beind it with the V tree stuck whereever it fits best nearby. Its easier for me to move the various pieces that way too since hauling the parts in the bag would be too heavy. I have full asembled and disassembled it myself though. It is faster to assemble and easier to load if you have two people though.
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

Congrats on the honeymoon!

As soon as my Fit came off warranty, I installed the hitch I had bought months prior. I've used it to haul two Honda CT90s (lightweight bikes) and one Honda Transalp (400-450 pounds) [not at the same time!].

I have a Harbor Freight trailer with a wooden platform and wood sides which adds weight. I've driven the car loaded with the TA from north of Boston down to Providence on the highway with no issues. The trailer pops around a bit on its itty bitty 10 inchers, but the Fit doesn't complain.

You'll be fine with two scoots in a trailer with the Fit. I've rented a UHaul trailer before (the metal one with the sides) to haul bikes and it's been fine.

Honda hauls two Hondas

Honda hauls Honda
Quo Vadimus

Post by Quo Vadimus »

Thanks. :D

And thanks for the pics. Great cars, aren't they? Is hooking up the brake lights much of a pain?
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

Quo Vadimus wrote:Thanks. :D

And thanks for the pics. Great cars, aren't they? Is hooking up the brake lights much of a pain?
I got a wiring harness off eBay. Plug and play.

Love the Fit but I only drive it about 6 days a year!
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

jmkjr72 wrote:the one thing i didnt see you mention is what the towing capicity of the car its self is
Excellent point. It is also important to remember that the towing capacity isn't only dependent on toung weight for handling etc but also on the ability of the motor and tranny to pull the extra weight without overheating.

Most trucks with "tow packages" include transmission coolers and extra motor cooling.
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
BlueMark

Post by BlueMark »

BuddyRaton wrote:
jmkjr72 wrote:the one thing i didnt see you mention is what the towing capicity of the car its self is
Excellent point. It is also important to remember that the towing capacity isn't only dependent on toung weight for handling etc but also on the ability of the motor and tranny to pull the extra weight without overheating.

Most trucks with "tow packages" include transmission coolers and extra motor cooling.
The truck tow packages with transmission coolers etc is for towing heavy loads, like a full size camper or a small yacht. We are talking about trailering a very tiny load - a scooter that often weighs less than two passengers - a load any car is capable of handling.

There is a possible alternative to a trailer - a motorcycle tow dolly that attaches to the hitch receiver - it holds the front wheel and provides tie on points for the handle bars (Canyon Dancer style) while the rear wheel rides the pavement. Since most of the weight is on the rear wheel in this configuration anything less than a really large maxi scooter should put far less than 200lbs tongue weight equivalent on the hitch. I'm told that there is very little tire wear since the road wheel is not powered, and people have towed big bikes cross country this way - still I would only use it for short trips - such as to the dealer. Thing is ... a motorcycle is put into neutral - some people even disconnect the chain - I don't see how this can work with a CVT bike.

addenda: OK, did a little research. A tow dolly should work OK with a CVT scooter - the clutch in the CVT is only engaged by centrifugal force by the spinning belt - not by the rear wheel axle spinning. So the clutch bell will spin, but that's all, the belts and variator and engine etc will not turn. Anyone out there want to try it out?

Found a really inexpensive tow dolly offered by Sears - requires a 2x2 hitch receiver which is not standard for a class 1 or class 2 hitch - but is available.

squasher5

Post by squasher5 »

We also have a trailer...still new...hooked up to our Honda Fit. We take on Buddy 50 with us, and often a couple of kayaks to boot.

The most weight we intend to put in there is about 1000 pds. It will pull that with no problem.

http://s154.photobucket.com/albums/s277 ... lerS02.jpg
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

jasondavis48108 wrote:I have a 2008 Honda Fit and could not get the class three trailer hitch installed as they said they did not make them for the Fit. The class 2 hitches really arn't meant for much more than hauling bicycles so you might have a hard time finding a trailer that fits the hitch you have.
You don't need a trailer to fit the hitch, you need to install a ball on the hitch that fits your trailer. Most trailers take a 2" ball, except for the really light duty ones.

Just don't exceed the tow rating of the car, which should not be a problem with a scooter.

I would look on craigslist for a motorcycle or general utility trailer. you should find one for the equivalent of a few rentals.
Valves are for wussies.
jmkjr72

Post by jmkjr72 »

towing involves all aspect of the tow vehcile
cooling (the eng and trans are working harder and you need more cooling the larger the load)
brakeing (you need more brake power when towing)
suspension(you will work the suspension harder and if your rear suspension is not heavy enough you will take wieght of the front end of the tow vehicle and cause a lack of steering and braking your front brakes do most of the work)
gearing(tallers gears are very comon when towing)
power(again you will need more power to pull the load)
wheel base(longer wheel base vehciles normaly have larger towing capacity)
vehcile wieght

and i have never seen a class 1 or 2 2 inch adapter that is rated for towing
every single one that i have seen has engraved on it not for towing

i know this is a very light rig to tow but you are also useing a very small short wheel base vehcile to tow with

now here is what i have found a euro spec jazz can tow a trailer up to 800 lbs with no brakes on it
and only has a toung rate of 150 lbs
and also i have found that there rear suspension tends to be a bit heavier then the us modle

so if you are talking 2 scoots you are at 400 to 500 lbs before you even consider the trailer
z 2008 zuma 50
olive 2008 setlla
1979 tomos
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

BlueMark wrote: Found a really inexpensive tow dolly offered by Sears - requires a 2x2 hitch receiver which is not standard for a class 1 or class 2 hitch - but is available.

Note that this puts significantly more stress on the hitch than a trailer, because the hitch bears the weight of the front wheel, while on a trailer, the tongue has much less weight on it.

Do not try to use an adaptor to use this setup on a class 1/2 hitch.
Valves are for wussies.
BlueMark

Post by BlueMark »

Anachronism wrote:
Note that this puts significantly more stress on the hitch than a trailer, because the hitch bears the weight of the front wheel, while on a trailer, the tongue has much less weight on it.

Do not try to use an adaptor to use this setup on a class 1/2 hitch.
Those adapters are for carrying bicycles - loads well under 50 lbs directly on the hitch - NOT for towing.

There are Class 1 hitches with 2 inch receivers - made because most hitch accessories are made for 2 inch receivers - but that doesn't change the load limits of the hitch or vehicle.

The tongue weight for a motorcycle tow dolly is less than half the bike weight, probably about a third - which means even a class 1 hitch is more than adequate for a bike under 400 lbs - IF you have a dolly that fits a 1.25 inch receiver or have one of the class 1 hitches with a 2 inch receiver.

Other than the fact that you can just toss the tow dolly in the trunk, I'd think a "Harbor Freight Special" small cargo trailer would be easier and more versatile.
sotied

Post by sotied »

siobhan wrote:Congrats on the honeymoon!

As soon as my Fit came off warranty, I installed the hitch I had bought months prior. I've used it to haul two Honda CT90s (lightweight bikes) and one Honda Transalp (400-450 pounds) [not at the same time!].

I have a Harbor Freight trailer with a wooden platform and wood sides which adds weight. I've driven the car loaded with the TA from north of Boston down to Providence on the highway with no issues. The trailer pops around a bit on its itty bitty 10 inchers, but the Fit doesn't complain.

You'll be fine with two scoots in a trailer with the Fit. I've rented a UHaul trailer before (the metal one with the sides) to haul bikes and it's been fine.
How much was the trailer and how do you set it up to hold down the bike(s)?

Thinking about putting a hitch on my Scion xA and taking the scoot with me down to the Vineyard (have ridden it down there before, but it's probably better if I can save all my riding for on the island).

Thanks,
Jeff • #2163
Scooter Photo Scavenger Hunter (see Gallery!)
http://www.jeffcutler.com