GEN-U-BIN REVIEW

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

CWO4GUNNER

GEN-U-BIN REVIEW

Post by CWO4GUNNER »

Ill be as fair and honest as I can point by point.

* Reading other reviews mostly positive and just 1 negative I decided to order the GEN-U-BIN but from the advertised amount of thin plastic involved to mold and manufacture this, Its not like me to spend $29 for so little, these few ounces shipped in an oversize box for $10 was also steep. But no one forced me to buy it and I did.

* Someone had mentioned in there review that the item was very sturdy, well its not IMO but hopeful that it is made of high quality UV resistant plastic.

* One negative review mentioned that it eats up allot of usable (be it unorganized) bin space, It does about 50% at least.

* What it is, is sharp looking as if it was OEM designed and provides some and professional organization.

* The photos below show that rather then removing the GEN-U-BIN clip which although useless for hanging grocery bags provides needed sag support for the back of the GEN-U-BIN where there is no support at all. But I did not want to remove the OEM strong clip either becasue it serves a very practical function of holding heavy bags. This was the one design flaw I really did not like about the GEN-U-BIN especially since it cost $40 shipped for $3 in manufactured plastic.

*Solution I oversized the screw hole for the GEN-U-BIN clip-support into a bushing so that the OEM clip could still be installed inside and through the GEN-U-BIN clip-support so that both clips could be utilized for heavy loads while providing additional support to the GEN-U-BIN back section which has no support without its thin clip-support. There is also the added benefit of the OEM clip locking against the BIN clip

*Conclusion: Would I buy another? No becasue becasue it snot as functional as I would like making use of all space, but that's me. Would I recommend it? Only for sheer aesthetics with very limited OK organizational function.

*Do I recommend my modification? Yes.

* Overall Im OK with it.

Below photos of my modification, please excuse the drill trimmings I forgot to clean off.
[/img]http://i582.photobucket.com/albums/ss27 ... bin005.jpg[/IMG]
Image[/img]
PhoenixScoot

Second Opinion

Post by PhoenixScoot »

My brother-in-law bought me one of these Gen-U-Bins for Christmas this past year. I have learned to like it more than not.

Here's what I mean,

It does take up a great deal of space in the front compartment. I don't carry anything small enough to fit in that tiny built in container. If I didn't have a bag on the back, I wouldn't use the Gen-U-Bin.

I enjoy the cup holder. I work at Starbucks and am constantly leaving work with a beverage in hand. Before the Gen-U-Bin, I had to put multiple lids on my cup and jam things behind it in order to keep it from spilling.

I'd say if you aren't interested in the cup holder, there is no reason to purchase.

However, it does indeed look like a professionally made attachment.

In the end, I enjoy having the Gen-U-Bin installed.
CWO4GUNNER

Post by CWO4GUNNER »

I pretty much agree..But for the price they could have made it out of stained mahogany and made it so the the entire bin hing-opens & closes using Velcro hinges in the back and corners so that not only do you not have to contend with that tiny compartment but instead have one huge lockable bin, and the ability to easily clean up any beverage messes that spill to the bottom of the cop holder without having to dismantle it.

Now that I have the pattern I may start my own wood stained BIG-BIN-BUDDY in choices of woods and stain lol.
Coffeejunkie

Re: Second Opinion

Post by Coffeejunkie »

PhoenixScoot wrote:
It does take up a great deal of space in the front compartment. I don't carry anything small enough to fit in that tiny built in container.
I use the little bin to store my disc brake lock.
Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

http://javascoots.wordpress.com/
CWO4GUNNER

Post by CWO4GUNNER »

Coffeejunkie wrote:
PhoenixScoot wrote:
It does take up a great deal of space in the front compartment. I don't carry anything small enough to fit in that tiny built in container.
I use the little bin to store my disc brake lock.
Is that the kind with the red coil wire that stretches up to your handlebars to remind you not to leave with that disk brake lock? If so what brand do you have because the Bell brand that I have for motorcycles, the locking pin is too fat to fit through the Buddy disk brake slots? o I use a fatcable and pad lock instead but that getting old.
goldscott

Post by goldscott »

I use a disc lock from Trimax (Scooterworks Chicago gave it to me when I purchased my Buddy). Really quick to take on and off (literally like 3 seconds), and I just throw it in the glove bin while riding.

Edit: http://www.trimaxlocks.com/_e/MOTORCYCL ... Yellow.htm

and it comes with that bright orange reminder cable.
CWO4GUNNER

Post by CWO4GUNNER »

goldscott wrote:I use a disc lock from Trimax (Scooterworks Chicago gave it to me when I purchased my Buddy). Really quick to take on and off (literally like 3 seconds), and I just throw it in the glove bin while riding.

Edit: http://www.trimaxlocks.com/_e/MOTORCYCL ... Yellow.htm

and it comes with that bright orange reminder cable.
Thank you sir, that think it would work and look great. You know that reminder cable reminds the owner as well as the thief that the bike is locked. :lol:
Berner

Post by Berner »

CWO4GUNNER wrote:Is that the kind with the red coil wire that stretches up to your handlebars to remind you not to leave with that disk brake lock? If so what brand do you have because the Bell brand that I have for motorcycles, the locking pin is too fat to fit through the Buddy disk brake slots? o I use a fatcable and pad lock instead but that getting old.
Another (more expensive) option is the Xena XX6 with audible (loud!!) tamper warning. There are (were?) discount codes floating around the site for $30 off.

BuddyLicious

Post by BuddyLicious »

Rest assured if you have the Gen U Bin your Buddy looks swell.I think the GUB gives the tray area a finished look vs without.Just saying...
Aerosmith, None Other.
Raiderfn31

Re: GEN-U-BIN REVIEW

Post by Raiderfn31 »

CWO4GUNNER wrote:Ill be as fair and honest as I can point by point.

* Reading other reviews mostly positive and just 1 negative I decided to order the GEN-U-BIN but from the advertised amount of thin plastic involved to mold and manufacture this, Its not like me to spend $29 for so little, these few ounces shipped in an oversize box for $10 was also steep. But no one forced me to buy it and I did.

* Someone had mentioned in there review that the item was very sturdy, well its not IMO but hopeful that it is made of high quality UV resistant plastic.

* One negative review mentioned that it eats up allot of usable (be it unorganized) bin space, It does about 50% at least.

* What it is, is sharp looking as if it was OEM designed and provides some and professional organization.

* The photos below show that rather then removing the GEN-U-BIN clip which although useless for hanging grocery bags provides needed sag support for the back of the GEN-U-BIN where there is no support at all. But I did not want to remove the OEM strong clip either becasue it serves a very practical function of holding heavy bags. This was the one design flaw I really did not like about the GEN-U-BIN especially since it cost $40 shipped for $3 in manufactured plastic.

*Solution I oversized the screw hole for the GEN-U-BIN clip-support into a bushing so that the OEM clip could still be installed inside and through the GEN-U-BIN clip-support so that both clips could be utilized for heavy loads while providing additional support to the GEN-U-BIN back section which has no support without its thin clip-support. There is also the added benefit of the OEM clip locking against the BIN clip

*Conclusion: Would I buy another? No becasue becasue it snot as functional as I would like making use of all space, but that's me. Would I recommend it? Only for sheer aesthetics with very limited OK organizational function.

* Overall Im OK with it.

Below photos of my modification, please excuse the drill trimmings I forgot to clean off.
Image[/img]
Great review bro. You need to stop that link on the bottom of your posts. Very offensive. Plus mixing politics and religion is sleazy at best. Good review though. I may buy one for my St Tropez.
"When your lawyer looks at you like you deserve whats coming, you may begin to sweat."
CWO4GUNNER

Re: GEN-U-BIN REVIEW

Post by CWO4GUNNER »

Raiderfn31 wrote:
CWO4GUNNER wrote:Ill be as fair and honest as I can point by point.

* Overall Im OK with it.

Image[/img]
Great review bro. You need to stop that link on the bottom of your posts. Very offensive. Plus mixing politics and religion is sleazy at best. Good review though. I may buy one for my St Tropez.
Im glad you liked it and hope you decide to use it and make full use of the recommendations. :wink:
Raiderfn31

Post by Raiderfn31 »

Very nice. Ordered one today. Have a good weekend BTW. :)
"When your lawyer looks at you like you deserve whats coming, you may begin to sweat."