Two-year-old gas in my scooter!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

90843d4

Two-year-old gas in my scooter!

Post by 90843d4 »

Today I siphoned some of the old gas out of my Karmann Ghia. I want to empty the tank. The gas is two years old. I filled up my scooter with it. The mixture in the scooter is about 50/50 old and new. I've driven about 50 miles on it and the scoot is running just fine. I've burned one-year-old gas in engines before with no problems, but two years is a first for me.

I have heard of problems with E10 gas in an engine that is not run all winter. E10 is the stuff that can have up to 10% ethanol. The problems occur because ethanol likes water and if too much water gets into solution the water can freeze in the winter and damage little parts in carburetors. One motorcycle shop here says they make a living fixing carburetors in the spring that have had that problem. I have never had that problem with my carbureted engines, but now that I know about it I will make sure I store my engines for the winter with ethanol-free regular gas in them. We have two stations in my town that sell all ethanol-free gas in all octane ratings.

Happy scooting all!
Scooter riders don't give a shift.
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Eeek - bad move. The Buddy carb and jets are much more sensitive to carp gas than the VW. If your gas station doesn't have a sump to dump old gas, store it in a can until you can give it away, but I'd keep it out of the scooter.

My '73 Thing can practically run on cooking oil. Diesels should be able to burn up to 10% gas with no ill effects, either. Edit: so if you can find another place to burn it, it's probably prudent. Even to the point of siphoning your scoot.
Last edited by PeteH on Tue May 31, 2011 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
bigbropgo

Post by bigbropgo »

Eeeek X2.
different motors, different tolerance for good/bad fuel. 50/50 mix is the only reason its prob running ok. Wouldn't suggest doing it often.
no i don't ride a scooter, i am a scooter pilot!
VICTUS MORTUUS VENATOR
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

Better splash some seafoam in there too for good measure. :wink:
90843d4

Post by 90843d4 »

Thanks for your comments. I knew I’d be bucking tribal wisdom with this one. I can’t tell you how many times over the years people have told me to never use old gas. I’ve also used it on and off since the 1960s. As for my 2-year-old gas, it’s in both scooters for a combined 100 miles so far. I’ll be filling both up with it again and then they’ll have mostly old stuff. Then back to 87 octane regular. I don’t anticipate any problems. I’m quite honest and objective though and will report the results truthfully.
Scooter riders don't give a shift.
viney266

Post by viney266 »

The E 10 stuff is really tearing up small motors rubber parts..Chainsaws weed eaters etc. And the effect on small engines, Briggs and stratton scooters etc is not far behind. Here in Md. we can't get ethanol free any more, and I have taken to using star-tron ( a gas stabilizer) in ANYTHING that will sit more than 30 days..I even put a splash in my mower and chainsaw gas as it sits a while
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

and the pic of the Ghia is where? We sold both of ours and have a Volvo P1800...but my yellow Ghia, Karl...he was my baby.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

90843d4 wrote:Thanks for your comments. I knew I’d be bucking tribal wisdom with this one. I can’t tell you how many times over the years people have told me to never use old gas. I’ve also used it on and off since the 1960s. As for my 2-year-old gas, it’s in both scooters for a combined 100 miles so far. I’ll be filling both up with it again and then they’ll have mostly old stuff. Then back to 87 octane regular. I don’t anticipate any problems. I’m quite honest and objective though and will report the results truthfully.
Probably not something I would do...but I like your style! :mrgreen:

I think that if you're burning it 50/50 you will be fine. It's not going to do anything to your jets any varnish from sitting is in the other vehicle.

I agree with KB, an ounce or two of seafoam and ride the snot out of it!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
bosco
Dealer

Post by bosco »

interesting. I usually suck the old gas out of scooters and into my 59 single cab to burn it up...

I much rather not rebuild another scooter carb.

jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

bosco wrote:interesting. I usually suck the old gas out of scooters and into my 59 single cab to burn it up...

For sure you don't put that old gas in your R27, right? :wink:
bosco
Dealer

Post by bosco »

jrsjr wrote:
bosco wrote:interesting. I usually suck the old gas out of scooters and into my 59 single cab to burn it up...

no way. new gas all the way.
the parts for that are super hard to find.
Syd

Post by Syd »

Bad gas, good gas. That's all interesting and all, but what about the Ghia? What year, etc, etc?
The majority is always sane - Nessus
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

bosco wrote:
jrsjr wrote:

no way. new gas all the way.
the parts for that are super hard to find.
So lovely! Thank you for posting that photo. They only made 15,000 of them but every one inspired somebody somewhere :D .
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

If you have vehicles sitting around for extended periods, I'd suggest you at least use Stabil or equivalent. If you are talking years, I'd strongly suggest you drain out all the gas before storing. (and no, I sure as heck wouldn't suggeste a carbed scooter as the vehicle of choice to burn up old gas drained out of another vehicle :shock: )