Threw on a couple after market parts tonight

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Tweak
Dealer

Threw on a couple after market parts tonight

Post by Tweak »

Dr.Pulley Racing clutch
Dr. Pulley slider weights
Gates Premium belt
Nyc Race CDI box
Oversized rotor
HH compound pads
Solo black seat
Black cowl protector
Black rear luggage rack
'07 Buddy 150
171cc and some other goodies

Go Big or Go Home
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Threw on a couple after market parts tonight

Post by jrsjr »

Tweak wrote:Threw on a couple after market parts tonight
One or two! Looks like you decided to do it all at once. The final result looks great!
Dr. Rock

Post by Dr. Rock »

Wow! Super nice. In OKC also, hope to see ya out there so I can check it out personally!
Twitter: @Drjuggernaught
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

One of those "dining room" jobs, huh? :P
Past bikes: 08' Genuine Buddy 125, '07 Yamaha Majesty 400, '07 Piaggio MP3 250, '08 Piaggio MP3 500, '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Current bikes: Two '09 Genuine Buddy 125's
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

I've always wondered: What is the advantage to the wavy brake rotor? I've seem some who insist that it "stops better", but how does it do with the Buddy and what are the gains?

Otherwise, I'm digging the black hardware. Got my eyes on a black Buddy 125 by August and I think those would be awesome. Nothing like a big 'ole shopping spree :D
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

so.....
...how are you liking the "upgrades"?
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
Tweak
Dealer

Post by Tweak »

love all the cosmetic
and really love the new brake set up
the clutch ended up giving me a little trouble and im gonna need to replace the variator due to loss of a washer ( its a really long story)
'07 Buddy 150

Go Big or Go Home
zilla86

Post by zilla86 »

you got some nice mods going on there :) I'm trying to resist modding my new Blackjack as I tend to get carried away lol
out18law18

Post by out18law18 »

Looks good! I'm also hoping to run into you around town to check it out in person.
Blue 125cc Buddy
Red 350ish cc Banshee
Yellow 80cc Zuki
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

neotrotsky wrote:I've always wondered: What is the advantage to the wavy brake rotor? I've seem some who insist that it "stops better", but how does it do with the Buddy and what are the gains?

Otherwise, I'm digging the black hardware. Got my eyes on a black Buddy 125 by August and I think those would be awesome. Nothing like a big 'ole shopping spree :D
The wavy shape doesn't effect the stopping power. That part effects the disc's air cooling, but there are other shapes that have a better effect on cooling. It's half cosmetic half functional. Full benefits from this design come under racing conditions (heavy and frequent use of breaks).

The reason it stops better is that it's a larger disc and the braking force is applied further out from the center which results in applying the clamping force on more surface area per rotation of the disc.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
Keys

Post by Keys »

zilla86 wrote:you got some nice mods going on there :) I'm trying to resist modding my new Blackjack as I tend to get carried away lol
Resistance is futile.

--Keys
"Life without music would Bb"
TCaruso

Post by TCaruso »

If you're interested in selling your original seat, we should talk.
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

michelle_7728 wrote:One of those "dining room" jobs, huh? :P
Yeah really, what does the S/O say about that?
I re-wired a fish tank reflector on the kitchen table last week, my son hollered at me, "Dad, that's what you have a 'work bench' for!!!!!"

Looking good though.
Ride Happy, Ride Healthy
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

zilla86 wrote:you got some nice mods going on there :) I'm trying to resist modding my new Blackjack as I tend to get carried away lol
You don't have to worry, it can take it.... Unless you swap a Vespa GTS 250 engine into your Buddy like I did, you're not getting carried away :P
PhoenixScoot

Post by PhoenixScoot »

Very nice! If I happen to see you on the road I'll punch the air. That way you know it's me. More distinct than a honk.
Tweak
Dealer

Post by Tweak »

I RIDE IT TO WORK EVERYDAY AND ANYONE IS WELCOME TO COME BY MAXEYS CYCLE ON NW39TH AND CHECK IT OUT
'07 Buddy 150

Go Big or Go Home
zilla86

Post by zilla86 »

I see you have a Prima pipe,
did you rejet? I'm getting some bluing on mine but the dealer said it was ok

and asked if I had any popping on decel.I dont have any popping but I think I will feel more comfortable going up to a 95 main jet or mabey even a little larger to make sure I'm not to lean.

I'm still breaking in my Blackjack and I have around 550 miles and the first service was done at 200.

I've searched and found conflicting info on the stock jet size on the Blackjack.I have seen post that say a larger jet is provided with the Prima pipe but my dealer did not mention this jet.

thanx for any help on this
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

zilla86 wrote:I see you have a Prima pipe,
did you rejet? I'm getting some bluing on mine but the dealer said it was ok

and asked if I had any popping on decel.I dont have any popping but I think I will feel more comfortable going up to a 95 main jet or mabey even a little larger to make sure I'm not to lean.

I'm still breaking in my Blackjack and I have around 550 miles and the first service was done at 200.

I've searched and found conflicting info on the stock jet size on the Blackjack.I have seen post that say a larger jet is provided with the Prima pipe but my dealer did not mention this jet.

thanx for any help on this
The stock jet on the BJ *SHOULD* be a 92. The Prima pipes didn't come with any jets when I bought mine. If all else is stock, a 95 is probably what you want, but as with any mixture change do a plug chop before doing anything :)
zilla86

Post by zilla86 »

Thanks Kaos
I took a look at my plug last night and it looks good but I'll still do a chop.

I had a heck of a time getting that plug back in even with the socket from the tool kit.It has a weird angle and is in such a tight space that for me atleast it was difficult to get back in.

I was careful not to cross thread it and just took my time but there must be a better and easier way to do it.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

zilla86 wrote:Thanks Kaos
I took a look at my plug last night and it looks good but I'll still do a chop.

I had a heck of a time getting that plug back in even with the socket from the tool kit.It has a weird angle and is in such a tight space that for me atleast it was difficult to get back in.

I was careful not to cross thread it and just took my time but there must be a better and easier way to do it.
Did you remove the front panel? Its usually fairly easy to get to from there. If you still can't get to it, you can pull the bolt from the rear shock, pull the shock away and tilt the motor up.
zilla86

Post by zilla86 »

I did remove the panel and although I could get to it easy
It's the plastic cover with the hole that is a problem to work through.

I'm use to bikes that have the sparkplug in a easier location to get at and not such tight space that makes it hard to even hand tighten the plug.

I also had no idea the plug was that small and short.I went in there armed for bear with my tools :lol:

thanks for the help and to OP sorry for the threadjack :oops:
Tweak
Dealer

Post by Tweak »

it's cool, it seams to run smooth with it i get a tiny bit of decel pop here and there sometimes but not that often
'07 Buddy 150

Go Big or Go Home
jahair

Post by jahair »

As long as we are talking about the Prima exhaust, I got one on eBay new with jets and rollers. I had a scooter shop in Denver install the pipe but they also said "no need to re-jet" It seemed to me that it would bog down a bit when I accelerated up hill. I have a Buddy 125. Any thoughts on if I should take it back and have them re-jet?
If you set out to fail and you succeed, which have you done?
zilla86

Post by zilla86 »

It's best to check your plug to see if you need to rejet.I found out my Blackjack actually already had a larger main jet #98 then others who had a stock #92 main.

I was lean even with the #98 so I went up to a #105 and found the sweet spot and good air/fuel ratio and plug color (tan) my scoot runs great and I'm still breaking it in with 800 miles on it now.

I know you have a 125 but the same should apply with the Prima pipe
I had blueing on my pipe during the first 100 or so miles and the plug showed a lean burn.

this was my first jet change on any type of motor and it was very easy to do.You can check the tech library here on how to do it.