Just bought a Blackjack and I have a question

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

LPcreation

Just bought a Blackjack and I have a question

Post by LPcreation »

Hi everyone,

I got a brand new 2009 BlackJack and I'm really happy with my purchase. Very fun to ride and I'm looking forward to putting on a lot of miles!

That said, I posted pics in another thread and I had a comment or two wondering where the prima exhaust was. I was under the impression the prima exhaust is a dealer option, meaning they can put it on or sell it with the standard pipe. Is this correct? Was that the only option that was at the dealer's choice? I want to make sure I got all the other NCY options I read about. Thanks!

Here's a pic for those who haven't seen it.

AtlBuddy

Post by AtlBuddy »

Congrats on the black jack from a fellow black jack owner. I am not 100% on this but I believe that when you purchase the bike that you are also purchasing the pipe. Some people sell the Prima pipe rather than installing it. Genuine does not ship the bj with the pipe installed because it is not street legal. The dealer has to install it once they recieve it. I am sure some more people will chime in about this to clarify.
ed85379

Post by ed85379 »

The Prima pipe isn't a dealer option, it is your option. It is part of the price of the BlackJack. It comes separately in a box, and if you want it, they have to install it for you. If you don't want it installed, they have to give you the box, since it is yours, and comes with the price of the BlackJack, and you could resell it if you wanted. If the scooter is used, well, that changes things.

I don't personally know the other changes by sight, but I think the Prima exhaust is the only thing they have to actually swap out.
LPcreation

Post by LPcreation »

Thanks for the replies. I just sent an email to Genuine asking for confirmation about it. After I hear back from them I'll contact the dealer I bought it from.
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

Where did you get your Black Jack?
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Yeah, the Prima lacks a catalytic converter (as found in the stock pipe), so technically/by law the dealers can't sell it on the bike as new. My local guy said that if I wanted to buy a Prima or some other aftermarket exhaust, they would have done the work as 'accessory installation' in a second (post-bill-of-sale) invoice, but on the bike when I picked it up.

Having bought my Buddy in the dead of winter, I didn't get to do a test ride, and I've not ridden one with a Prima. I heard a Prima in the showroom, but that's not the best acoustic environment :D. I'd like to hear how the Prima sounds in 'real' conditions and see how it compares to my 'crackly-above-half-throttle' stock pipe.
HowHH

Post by HowHH »

ed85379 wrote:The Prima pipe isn't a dealer option, it is your option. It is part of the price of the BlackJack. It comes separately in a box, and if you want it, they have to install it for you. If you don't want it installed, they have to give you the box, since it is yours, and comes with the price of the BlackJack, and you could resell it if you wanted. If the scooter is used, well, that changes things.
What Ed said.
easy

Post by easy »

you should hv the pipe for some reason mine wasnt delivered with one but the dealer inststalled it with the 1st service
what did you trade the day for?
Mtlgrlie

Post by Mtlgrlie »

Mine was already installed when I picked my new BJ up......at scooters go green in Boston.

I love the pipe! Nice throaty sound vs. our "still-no-name" Pamplona's stock.

And the beauty beyond the sound is also AWESOME.
ed85379

Post by ed85379 »

Mtlgrlie wrote:Mine was already installed when I picked my new BJ up......at scooters go green in Boston.

I love the pipe! Nice throaty sound vs. our "still-no-name" Pamplona's stock.

And the beauty beyond the sound is also AWESOME.
I've had multiple people, motorcycle riders, describe the sound when they heard it for the first time, as "Mini Harley". They are usually shocked to hear such a sound come out of a scooter.
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Hehehehe. Kind of an oxymoron - [non-catalytic] Prima pipe installed by Scooters Go Green. :P
Syd

Post by Syd »

LPcreation wrote:Thanks for the replies. I just sent an email to Genuine asking for confirmation about it. After I hear back from them I'll contact the dealer I bought it from.
Did you ask your dealer about the pipe? Whether or not you got the pipe from your dealer is not so much a Genuine question as it is a dealer question. Unless, of course your dealer is telling you you need to buy the pipe.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
LPcreation

Post by LPcreation »

Syd wrote:
LPcreation wrote:Thanks for the replies. I just sent an email to Genuine asking for confirmation about it. After I hear back from them I'll contact the dealer I bought it from.
Did you ask your dealer about the pipe? Whether or not you got the pipe from your dealer is not so much a Genuine question as it is a dealer question. Unless, of course your dealer is telling you you need to buy the pipe.
That's why I'm not mentioning the dealer and I wanted to know my facts before I ask the question to them.

I'm sure it was just a mistake but I didn't want to ask them blindly.

Thanks again, I appreciate it.