Side Car on Buddy 125

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Jonyoon21

Side Car on Buddy 125

Post by Jonyoon21 »

Been lurking here for a bit but finally am posting something.

I've been looking around online and can't seem to find any sources of adding a side car to a buddy 125. I've seen tons with vespas and stellas, but none with the buddy.

Is it possible?

Reason being is that my gf wants one to take her dogs in when she rides her buddy 125. As we are college students, it is her only source of transportation.

I have a crap car and a Honda C70, but can't always take her and her dogs out where they want to go.

So has anyone attempted this on a Buddy 125? Where can I get a side car that fits on it? I would have to save up and maybe get it for her next birthday or Christmas, depending on my budget at the time of the occasion.

Thanks!

-Jon
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

I've seen on a thread here a while back that someone had jerry rigged a sidecar for a Buddy. It was very unstable, and probably didn't last long. If the sidecar is that big of a deal, check out the stella. They're great bikes, and the shifting will come naturally after a few times out. My local dealer also sells Urals. Those are sweet motorcycles with sidecars, World War 2 style. Best suggestion I could give you, go with the Stella.
Jonyoon21

Post by Jonyoon21 »

Thanks for the input. Unfortunately, she's stuck with the buddy - she loves it and also doesn't have the budget for a different one.

The side car was just an idea she was throwing around. But if there is a way, then that would be really cool.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Don't Buddys' have "pet carriers"?

Just kidding! :D
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
CEZ2011

Post by CEZ2011 »

I would not recommend a side car with a Buddy. How big is the dog? There may be some other options.
jmkjr72

Post by jmkjr72 »

a small cvt scoot will not handel a side car

if you have a small dog there are some rear carrieres for dogs out there but the good ones are expensive
z 2008 zuma 50
olive 2008 setlla
1979 tomos
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Can't be done. NoHo Scooters did it as an experiment and it was an epic fail. Not because of any lack of technical ability, quite the opposite. Even with all their expertise and knowhow, the Buddy frame just isn't suitable. And in the case of a 125 it is also way underpowered for a sidecar. The are threads here documenting it if you search around.

The Stella on the other hand can handle a sidecar just fine. Though if it were a 200cc it would be better. Keep in mind too that with a sidecar it is all or nothing. You can't just pop it on and off as suits you. It needs to be properly set up and aligned. So not an instant process.

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Jonyoon21 wrote:Thanks for the input. Unfortunately, she's stuck with the buddy - she loves it and also doesn't have the budget for a different one.
The Cozy sidecar that can be attached to the Stella costs more than a Buddy even before you talk about mounting and adjustments. This really isn't something that can be done "on the cheap".
cdwise

Post by cdwise »

If anyone could do it these guys can http://www.texassidecars.com/ but it would cost more than the Buddy.
viney266

Post by viney266 »

I would say that its gonna be really hard on the "transmission", and the chassis is probably not up to it.

How big is the pet?..Maybe a rear carrier?
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Here's the thread with NoHo's Buddy-Sidecar experiment. Save yourself the trouble. It's been tried. It doesn't work for the above stated reasons.

viewtopic.php?t=2957

neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

The first thing that comes to mind is that the Buddy is just too damn light for a sidecar to be safe! Of course, it's weight is why it rocks as a scooter in the first place: Easy to hot rod :twisted:
BuddyLicious

Post by BuddyLicious »

In a case where you want to take your dogs places but it isn't every ride a trailer would be the better choice.A trailer can be used as needed and put aside when not,best of both worlds.Of course I dont believe there are any readily available trailers for the Buddy so one would need it fabricated as well as the hitch.Could be done but probably would be expensive.

Really just about anything is possible with enough money and persistence.How much do you have? Good luck.
Aerosmith, None Other.
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Check these out:
http://www.cycletote.com/index.php?page=productsDoggy

There's some more trailer info here:
viewtopic.php?p=50441

CWO4GUNNER

Post by CWO4GUNNER »

To me the idea of a side car has always been missing on huge component to its fun-ability that almost no one has thought of, and yet would make it a huge success. Side car optional controls....As a single man id have no use for a traditional side car other then aesthetics, but a side car with optional full controls would be one heck of a wild and fun ride and an attraction lol.
Jonyoon21

Post by Jonyoon21 »

Wow, lots of responses. I guess the consensus is that it's not a smart thing to do. Just an idea we were floating. She has two medium sized dogs that we would take with us. We were originally thinking about putting the dogs in front baskets on our bikes. But yea, I don't think that's such a good idea... It worked back when we rode bicycles everywhere, but bicycling in Texas during the summer is no fun ordeal.

Looks like a sidecar will have to wait until the finances can come out to play. College students don't have much to their names. I don't even think the buddy is in her name, probably her dad's.

Is the buddy really that light weight compared to a stella or a vespa? I've never actually seen a stella up close. Her buddy was the first scooter I really came into contact with - my C70 isn't really a scooter at all - especially not after what I did to it (but at least it's in my name, the only thing I legally own).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xF6Qo-czhNM

I'll look more into the trailer idea. Attaching it to the rear rack mount seems like it might work. Maybe once I learn to weld I'll try it out. It might just be as easy as taking off the rear rack and attaching some sort of trailer hitch with some screws. Who knows, maybe if the rear rack bolts directly to the frame it would work. Does anyone know if it does?

Thanks everyone!
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

CWO4GUNNER wrote:As a single man id have no use for a traditional side car other then aesthetics,
What, you don't have a dog? Dogs were made for sidecars - and vice versa. Then there is camping. Sidecars are all about utility.
Attachments
Ural%20camper.jpg
Ural%20camper.jpg (33.24 KiB) Viewed 738 times
CWO4GUNNER

Post by CWO4GUNNER »

I need to get a new watch dog, my last one died at age 17 (med poodle) 1 years ago and my Corgi that choked on a tennis ball 2 year ago. Im just not so sure I want to start picking up dog poo in the yard again day after day. Since I switch over to Bombay cats its been all low maintenance and easy car even when I leave town. But Im having a hack of a time teaching them to be watch cats.

I like the idea of the motorcycle trailer for campground night on long tours, just not crazy about pulling one. I think a spring loaded tent carried in the side case that folds out instantly in the shape of a tear drop camper complete with painted wheels would be far easier.
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

CWO4GUNNER wrote:As a single man id have no use for a traditional side car other then aesthetics,
Yeah, without it any female passenger has to hold on tight..... I love that!!
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

The thing I would worry about with a trailer and dogs would be the exhaust fumes. I'd be worried that they might be overcome by the fumes....
Past bikes: 08' Genuine Buddy 125, '07 Yamaha Majesty 400, '07 Piaggio MP3 250, '08 Piaggio MP3 500, '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Current bikes: Two '09 Genuine Buddy 125's
BuddyLicious

Post by BuddyLicious »

michelle_7728 wrote:The thing I would worry about with a trailer and dogs would be the exhaust fumes. I'd be worried that they might be overcome by the fumes....
It could be a possible problem but shouldnt be.However if the exhaust did present problems there is always a solution for that too.Actually if that was the only problem I had after adding a trailer I would be ecstatic due to it being so minor.
Aerosmith, None Other.