Best Two Wheel backpack

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

beastmaster

Best Two Wheel backpack

Post by beastmaster »

I need to buy a back pack for when im riding and was wanting people insight and advise. I don't have that much to carry prob just my wallet ,some pens a few binders my stethoscope and a few other small items and books. Iv got a couple on my radar, 1 i really like is the icon squad II looks really nice is really hi viz , maybe to a fault, and holds alot. Im also checking out, the icon merc day pack, ALPINESTARS Tech Aero, and a couple joe rockets , i wanna hear every body's opinion on there favorite motorcycle/scooter backpack and any listed thanks
But he was pierced for our transgressions,
he was crushed for our iniquities;
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

The one I had for riding (it finally wore out last year after 7 years HARD use) was the Oakley Icon backpack. They still make it in a version 3.0 it seems, and while pricey when compared to other packs, it really *is* the best for rugged small packs.

For a small pack it has tons of room, not too bulky and VERY well built, it's often copied by Chinese manufacturers and flooded onto Wal-mart shelves. But it really does have far better quality and I'd honestly get another one in a heartbeat when I go for new gear shopping next month. Keep in mind that if you have a laptop bigger than 15 inches it will struggle to carry it, but it's not a laptop bag, which is good since it actually fits like a backpack. Runs about $100 to $140 depending on where you buy it.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog? ... KMBEPMCMAU

out18law18

Post by out18law18 »

under armour makes some nice smaller backpacks that are reasonably priced. Just make sure you get one with a strap that goes across your chest.
Blue 125cc Buddy
Red 350ish cc Banshee
Yellow 80cc Zuki
beastmaster

Post by beastmaster »

nice Oakley Icon backpack ill have to search ebay for some
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Personally, I would prefer a backpack which rather than wearing while I ride, I can sit on the floorboard and loop its handles over the two helmet locks under the seat to secure it. I'd rather not have any weight on my back. It's more comfortable that way to me.

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
Jackie F

Post by Jackie F »

I use a timbuk2 messenger bag.
sotied

Post by sotied »

I've got between using a Timbuktu laptop messenger bag (carries multiple electronics, my laptop, my mail, and all the accessories I need for my 13-inch Macbook) to a Tucano Work Out laptop bag (laptop and a few accessories, but not much else), to a full-on, Camelbak-style backpack (like the one listed above - that carries all the above and a change of clothes).

It sounds from what you want to carry, that you can put almost all your gear under the seat. That's where I put my smallest bag - a cheapo Target or Kohl's bag (in which I carry a phone charger, a USB keyboard, two magazines, a pad of paper and pen).

*You will note that I broke my rear rack by carrying the laptop bag fully loaded and now am relegated to wearing a pack when I ride.

**I like the feel of the backpack the best because it has a chest strap and the arm straps have enough padding and give to be comfy over my armored jacket.
Jeff • #2163
Scooter Photo Scavenger Hunter (see Gallery!)
http://www.jeffcutler.com
misu

Re: Best Two Wheel backpack

Post by misu »

beastmaster wrote:I need to buy a back pack for when im riding and was wanting people insight and advise. I don't have that much to carry prob just my wallet ,some pens a few binders my stethoscope and a few other small items and books. Iv got a couple on my radar, 1 i really like is the icon squad II looks really nice is really hi viz , maybe to a fault, and holds alot. Im also checking out, the icon merc day pack, ALPINESTARS Tech Aero, and a couple joe rockets , i wanna hear every body's opinion on there favorite motorcycle/scooter backpack and any listed thanks
consider visiting rei --- tons of backpacks that will be good on and off the bike.
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

I'm using either a larger messenger or a Tactical Bailout Bag, depending on my mood. I rig it with the strap across my chest diagonally with the bag sitting on the seat behind me, with the strap just tight enough so that the seat carries the weight but not loose enough to slide off. This works great for me, as I don't like wearing backpacks at any time, but especially when riding.
beastmaster

icon squad

Post by beastmaster »

ill keep looking, right now the icon squad 2 is wining and there's one on ebay for 80 :lol:
TobyDanger

Kriega

Post by TobyDanger »

The Kriega R25 is probably bigger than what you are looking for, but it's the best riding backpack I've worn. 25L capacity (hence the name), and you can fill it very full and not feel any weight on your shoulders because of the harness. They have smaller sizes: R20, R15, but I've not tried those.

http://www.kriega.us/products/R25.html

ImageImage
Mulliganal

Post by Mulliganal »

Best riding backpack I've ever owned. I use it while cycling and it fits nicely between the shoulder blades without any rubbing. It's perfect when you don't want to carry too much stuff but I can still get my riding pants, jersey, Kindle, cell phone, keys and a lot of odds and ends in there easily. It also has a water bladder in the back.

".....Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us......"
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

misu wrote:consider visiting rei --- tons of backpacks that will be good on and off the bike.
REI is great, the attic sale is where I scored an 85L hiking pack marked down 75%, and in perfect condition. Unfortunately for the OP, no REI near Corpus Christi.

When I was a bike messenger, I used the Ortlieb waterproof backpack, hi-viz, and wore comfortably. http://www.ortliebusa.com/CartGenie/image.asp?pid=53 Kinda wish I still had that bag.

Another option, since I can't stand how traditional messenger bags weigh down on one side, or try to swing forward... I found a decent Nike messenger bag in Chinatown, kind of an impulse buy. I have it set up like a saddle bag, wraps around the rear rack, and the body just below the seat where it gets narrow and I can synch it down. It doesn't come near the exhaust, hangs freely, and doesn't get in my way at all. I wouldn't do anything highly valuable or heavy in there, but I've taken some longer trips with textbooks in it. It'd be bad enough to wreck, then get a laptop smashed up at the same time. Of course that's what's in the bag when this picture was taken :|

baltimore by Vurrrp691, on Flickr
Lovelandstella

Post by Lovelandstella »

PeteH wrote:I'm using either a larger messenger or a Tactical Bailout Bag, depending on my mood. I rig it with the strap across my chest diagonally with the bag sitting on the seat behind me, with the strap just tight enough so that the seat carries the weight but not loose enough to slide off. This works great for me, as I don't like wearing backpacks at any time, but especially when riding.
tha Tac Bailout bag doesn't slide off? mine did during my 1st ride and it swings around and changes my balance and kinda scares me. so I havent used it since. do you use any waist straps or something to hold it there? does anybody? any other tricks-I'd love to use it.

otherwise I am planning on using this:
http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/bags/e883/
~Lovelandstella
----------------------------------------
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Nope, I'm not having any trouble with the TBOB. I've got the strap over my left shoulder, across my chest and around my ample gut behind me to the bag, and I leave it just loose enough so that gravity helps keep it on the seat. It hasn't taken a swing in a turn. Yet. I'm only carrying a lighter load, though - a tablet device, music player, some paperwork, chargers - not a ton of stuff. I could easily see the bag taking a swing if it were cinched up high on my back.

I had to haul two laptops in my slightly-larger messenger once, but I bungeed that bag to my front rack.
Lovelandstella

Post by Lovelandstella »

PeteH wrote:Nope, I'm not having any trouble with the TBOB. I've got the strap over my left shoulder, across my chest and around my ample gut behind me to the bag, and I leave it just loose enough so that gravity helps keep it on the seat. It hasn't taken a swing in a turn. Yet. I'm only carrying a lighter load, though - a tablet device, music player, some paperwork, chargers - not a ton of stuff. I could easily see the bag taking a swing if it were cinched up high on my back.

I had to haul two laptops in my slightly-larger messenger once, but I bungeed that bag to my front rack.
that could be the difference. I like to carry... what many would call "way too much stuff".
~Lovelandstella
----------------------------------------
BigBenlor

Post by BigBenlor »

I use a bag I bought at the local army surpluss store, its real similar to the tactical bail out bag. but cheaper? @ $17.99. It has 3 compartments on the inside for a laptop, books, and such. the best part for me is that it doesn't swing forward on my drive (over the left shoulder and behind my right side) and most importantly I can place my garage door opener in the outside pouch facing out so I can hit it when I get near home to open the door for me.

oh, and as you can see is leaves room for my patches
Attachments
patch bag.JPG
patch bag.JPG (43.17 KiB) Viewed 1682 times
desmolicious

Post by desmolicious »

These are the coolest:

http://axioluggage.com/hardpacks.html

I use a Timbuktu messenger bag, made to my design.
beastmaster

Post by beastmaster »

+1 on the Kriega R25 and the dakine, that Kriega R25 looks like the royals Royce of back packs only down side is i don't want or need the reservoir.
loodieboy

Post by loodieboy »

Deuter Cross City. 28 l. (larger than you may be looking for, though). Fully adjustable, comfortable, a zillion compartments, and very cool on the back - literally (great ventilation). My everyday beater and fav. for a 15" notebook.

Osprey Talon 11, 9 - 11 l., or Osprey Talon 22, 20 - 22 l., incredibly light, fully adjustable, small, spartan on compartments. A bit "strappy" in the smaller sizes, but you can adjust to any load.

For the big bucks, check out the Cocotte Picasso. It costs a fortune, but it is built like the proverbial brick loo. Absolutely amazing workmanship but not waterproof. For waterproof, visit Mission Workshop (started by former Chrome bags founders after expiration of non-compete agreement). Also amazing quality.

One thing I do suggest you look for is a pack with external storage (helmet pouch, bungies, or tie downs) which are great for stashing raingear, gloves, etc.

- bag whore
Clearly.
evilscooterkitty

Post by evilscooterkitty »

Originally made for the pedal-bike crowd, but works well on a scooter: http://www.betterriderbag.com/backpacks.htm
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

I really like the Icon Mil Spec II backpack.

It doesn't like me, though. I guess my shoulders are too big (or my chest) because the front closure comes up a bit higher than I'd like.

If you're of average size this would be a great motorcycle/scooter bag. It comes in HIGH VIZ orange and yellow, as well as a muted black.

I should put my orange one in the for sale section. :fp:
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
beastmaster

Post by beastmaster »

im digging the icon squad two prob gona be the winner
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

beastmaster wrote:im digging the icon squad two prob gona be the winner
Eh... the arm "things" just seem unnecessary
beastmaster

Post by beastmaster »

i no what u mean about that they do look unnecessary, but u can take them off
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

Personally, I think backpacks feel awkward and are a hassle. Saddle bags can hold a lot, keep the center of gravity lower, and make your scooter more visible from the back and front due to making you appear wider.

Plus when it gets hot outside you don't have something sitting on your back making you even hotter. :)
Past bikes: 08' Genuine Buddy 125, '07 Yamaha Majesty 400, '07 Piaggio MP3 250, '08 Piaggio MP3 500, '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Current bikes: Two '09 Genuine Buddy 125's
beastmaster

Post by beastmaster »

does anybody have anything to say negative about any back packs
misu

Post by misu »

beastmaster wrote:I need to buy a back pack for when im riding and was wanting people insight and advise. I don't have that much to carry prob just my wallet ,some pens a few binders my stethoscope and a few other small items and books. Iv got a couple on my radar, 1 i really like is the icon squad II looks really nice is really hi viz , maybe to a fault, and holds alot. Im also checking out, the icon merc day pack, ALPINESTARS Tech Aero, and a couple joe rockets , i wanna hear every body's opinion on there favorite motorcycle/scooter backpack and any listed thanks
any consideration for a small messenger bag?

i love my small timbuk2. just enough room for pens, wallet, phone, a few folders, and has a slot for a small laptop (macbook air). perfect.

can snug up the strap if needed so it doesn't sway, or let it be loose and off my back for good ventilation on hot days. i use it on my bicycle when i bike commute but also as my regular bag when i commute with the scooter. it fits neatly in my underseat storage or top case...and if needed i can always wear it on the scooter if the other areas are full of groceries.
bigbropgo

Post by bigbropgo »

beastmaster wrote:does anybody have anything to say negative about any back packs
:lol: all the bags that would produce negative comments were left behind at the store. :lol: different sizes and different configurations for different people. Cost and style preference help narrow it down. Then size, color and availability narrow a bit more.
Lots of great suggestions made already.

My problem is getting a bag that looks cool first. :roll: my latest bag obsession is ultra lite backpacks or sometime called through hiking packs. Technical packs with way to many compartments and definitely to many straps. But they are lite weight and sinch down tight to the body. Lafuma race28 is last one I bought. What will you carry regularly? Bootscootin has a pick on here with all his work gear. Prob not the normal amount of cargo for most. :D

*edit* missed the post about how much your going to carry. Any small daypack or smaller messenger would do. Don't get a big bag to carry a small amount of stuff. You either feel the need to fill it up or your cargo moves around a lot.
no i don't ride a scooter, i am a scooter pilot!
VICTUS MORTUUS VENATOR
desmolicious

Post by desmolicious »

beastmaster wrote:does anybody have anything to say negative about any back packs
Great for short trips, bad for touring. I learnt the hard way years ago..
After several hours they will cramp up your back.