Buddy is chewing up belts

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Howardr

Buddy is chewing up belts

Post by Howardr »

Okay, I just had my 3rd belt fail since November. I originally started this thread, because I wanted ideas on what was causing the problem, but once I saw my questing writing, I have realized that the NCY clutch which I had to have rebuilt is the culprit. Why do I say this? Since re-installing the rebuilt clutch, I have lost 2 belts in less than 500 miles.

NOW my question is this: What clutch do you who have replaced clutches recommend?

Howard
Iron Butt Association Member Number 42256
Club - The Sky Island Riders.
Publisher: The Scooter 'Zine thescooterzine.com
Syd

Re: Buddy is chewing up belts

Post by Syd »

Howardr wrote:Okay, I just had my 3rd belt fail since November. I originally started this thread, because I wanted ideas on what was causing the problem, but once I saw my questing writing, I have realized that the NCY clutch which I had to have rebuilt is the culprit...
Glad we could help, Howardr. :)
The majority is always sane - Nessus
goldscott

Post by goldscott »

Why not go back to the OEM clutch?
Dean F

Post by Dean F »

Howard are you using the OEM Bando belt?
Member 2715
Chrome Rear Rack
Genuine Top Case
Black Grips
Chrome Front Rack
Garmin GPS & Ram Mount
PIAA HS1
13g Dr. Pully Sliders
Everstart 9-BS AGM Battery
Dean F

Post by Dean F »

goldscott wrote:Why not go back to the OEM clutch?
+1

My stock clutch is holing really well after 10K. It even rolled off of my workbench when I was cleaning it up and took a 1/4 inch chunk out of one of the pads when it hit the floor. I think a new OEM clutch is only $50.00 or so and it includes the bell and pulley.
Member 2715
Chrome Rear Rack
Genuine Top Case
Black Grips
Chrome Front Rack
Garmin GPS & Ram Mount
PIAA HS1
13g Dr. Pully Sliders
Everstart 9-BS AGM Battery
goldscott

Post by goldscott »

I have 10K miles on my clutch. Just took the bell off yesterday and cleaned the dust off the inside and the pads. A lot smoother take off now, just like when new.
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

I currently have this one.

I've had some trouble with bearings and my shop says this one is much heavier than stock. I am going back in Saturday for a check-up to see how the newest bearings are holding up and then I'll decide whether to go back to stock.

Never lost a belt, though. Makes me think there might be a sharp edge on your pulley or somewhere in the works.
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

Tocsik wrote:I currently have this one.

I've had some trouble with bearings and my shop says this one is much heavier than stock. I am going back in Saturday for a check-up to see how the newest bearings are holding up and then I'll decide whether to go back to stock.

Never lost a belt, though. Makes me think there might be a sharp edge on your pulley or somewhere in the works.
Pretty sure that is the clutch I have, although mine came in a kit with a variator as well.

I installed a Dr Pulley variator last weekend. I initially thought my variator might be the problem, since one half was NCY and the other half was OEM. Clearly, I was wrong.

I may just go back to OEM.

Howard
Iron Butt Association Member Number 42256
Club - The Sky Island Riders.
Publisher: The Scooter 'Zine thescooterzine.com