Oil Changes and Engine Longevity

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

NinjaMunkee

Oil Changes and Engine Longevity

Post by NinjaMunkee »

Thought I'd start a thread where people can share and read information correlating oil change intervals and oil types with engine longevity.

Here's the basic format:

YEAR/MAKE/MODEL: 2012 Genuine Buddy 170i
OWNER'S MANUAL RECOMMENDATION: 3000 km (1800 mi)
ACTUAL: (initial at 180 mi only, planning to change every 1800 mi)
OIL TYPE: Royal Purple Full Synthetic 15W40
CURRENT ODOMETER: 200 mi
scootin_nate

Re: Oil Changes and Engine Longevity

Post by scootin_nate »

NinjaMunkee wrote:Thought I'd start a thread where people can share and read information correlating oil change intervals and oil types with engine longevity.

Here's the basic format:

2009 Buddy 150 (all stock)
owners manual 1000... I change every 3000
whatever is on sale 5w 40
7000 plus miles
viney266

Post by viney266 »

change it, keep it clean. Thats what matters. I still run a motorcycle oil in mine (spectro)...Why not oil is cheap!, and it only takes a quart..So I run the good stuff
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
goldscott

Post by goldscott »

YEAR/MAKE/MODEL: 2009 Genuine Buddy 125
OWNER'S MANUAL RECOMMENDATION: Look it up.
ACTUAL: 1500 miles
OIL TYPE: Mobil 1 5W-40 synthetic
CURRENT ODOMETER: 10500 mi
CWO4GUNNER

Post by CWO4GUNNER »

Truth is advertised oil change like most things are mass marketing ploys. Unless an engine is under extreme load conditions such as a tractor, generator, hauler, bus, the 3000 mile rule is overkill for frequency. A high quality oil that exceeding manufacturers requirements will easily last 7500 miles with a new filter before needing to be changed in an established engine. A good oil meeting manufactures requirement will also last 7500 miles with a new filter and an additive added at 3500 mile mark. I have been doing this for over 20 years and all my vehicles have outlasted most everyone I know who changes their oil every 2500-3000 miles becasue the bigger factor is proper operation of the engine under load not just pegging the throttle to get there. Brake an engine in hard or drive it in fantasy race mode and it wont last to see many oil changes no matter how frequent they are done. Either that or you'll be having to repaired it about as often as those extra oil changes occur. :D
Raiderfn31

Post by Raiderfn31 »

goldscott wrote:YEAR/MAKE/MODEL: 2009 Genuine Buddy 125
OWNER'S MANUAL RECOMMENDATION: Look it up.
ACTUAL: 1500 miles
OIL TYPE: Mobil 1 5W-40 synthetic
CURRENT ODOMETER: 10500 mi
Just took my St Tropez in for first service at 450 miles. Mechanic is gonna put Mobil 1 and a synthetic gear oil too(forgot the kind)Best of all its FREE. Had a good talk with him and he really sounded like he knew what he was talking about so I feel Im in good hands. I tend to agree with the above post though. We change engine oil too much really, but it makes me feel good so WTF! I also agree with the above post in that many people seem to dog out an engine during break in. Ive read alot of post in here of new scoots being run WOT too much. This is of course my opinion. I could be wrong. :wink:
"When your lawyer looks at you like you deserve whats coming, you may begin to sweat."
klaborde

Post by klaborde »

Don't you guys change Gear and Oil at the same time?
That is what I was told to do...
You always do both @ 1000.
I find not having a Oil Cooler makes a big difference and it should be done more often depending on frequency of use.

I use Mutol: 20W50 Oil, 75W140 Gear.

Expensive, but I find deals on Ebay.com or Amazon.com if you look for them.
Mods:Prima Wind Shield, Perf Exhaust, Front/Rear Racks, Cowl, Fender Guard, DR Pulley Variator & Racing Clutch, Bright LED DRL's, Strobe Brake Light, Zumo 220 GPS, Cheeky Seat Cover, Pirate Upholstery Leather Seat
CWO4GUNNER

Post by CWO4GUNNER »

I do both of mine at the same time, never had an issue. Ist never the things you do consistently that cause problems, its the things you don't personally check on a regular basis like engine oil level, valve clearance, checking for loose bolts, spark Plug burn, tire pressure, variator belt ware, steering head play, wheel bearing heat, lights operation, battery maintenance (if required), hydro fluid level/ brake ware. All these things the owner should verify and whether or not scheduled maintenance is performed by you or a "paid mechanic" becasue these things are the ones that are most likely to be the cause the damage. I have never hear of an engine failure or premature ware from changing your oil less frequently then the scheduled dealer $$ :D requirement. In fact I have never taken any new vehicle to a dealer for scheduled $$ maintenance becasue I cant verify what had been done good or bad, and the latter is not uncommon. Id rather take my scooter to Jiffylube, at least there I can verify what they are and are not doing..
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

klaborde wrote:Don't you guys change Gear and Oil at the same time?
Yep! It's just too easy not to!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

NinjaMunkee wrote:Thought I'd start a thread where people can share and read information correlating oil change intervals and oil types with engine longevity.

Here's the basic format:

It seems a bit early to me to be going synthetic, but others may disagree.
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
toycoma98

Post by toycoma98 »

Mine is in kilometers so i just change mine when the red number on the odometer shows up (every 1000 kilometers)
scootin_nate

Post by scootin_nate »

BuddyRaton wrote:

Here's the basic format:

It seems a bit early to me to be going synthetic, but others may disagree.
:lol: dunno. I went synthetic on first change.
BuddyLicious

Post by BuddyLicious »

For the smaller gas engines I believe one should change their oil as least as often as is recommended or even more often if in hotter climates.I'm sure at least some of you have seen how fast the gas engines such as scooters,go-karts,mini bikes,lawnmowers etc run at. I mean those internal parts are moving very fast and with scooters we tend to ride WOT,adding up to heat friction.

In cars and trucks it's very rare to ever come close to their top end performance so auto engines are rarely under any extreme friction heat.In other words we don't go around driving our autos at near top speed (around 110-130 mph) or drive up steep inclines all day long.

Thats' just how I envision it and will change my oil frequently on these smaller engines.To each his own.
Aerosmith, None Other.
Raiderfn31

Post by Raiderfn31 »

I will say this...what is up with changing oil and not the filter??? 15 bucks people. WTF?
"When your lawyer looks at you like you deserve whats coming, you may begin to sweat."
klaborde

Post by klaborde »

Raiderfn31 wrote:I will say this...what is up with changing oil and not the filter??? 15 bucks people. WTF?
I agree...
It's assumed to be part of the oil change for me.
Mods:Prima Wind Shield, Perf Exhaust, Front/Rear Racks, Cowl, Fender Guard, DR Pulley Variator & Racing Clutch, Bright LED DRL's, Strobe Brake Light, Zumo 220 GPS, Cheeky Seat Cover, Pirate Upholstery Leather Seat
scootin_nate

Post by scootin_nate »

Raiderfn31 wrote:I will say this...what is up with changing oil and not the filter??? 15 bucks people. WTF?
I change the filter as well. but i go over 3k usually so I top off in between changes If i find it necessary
CWO4GUNNER

Post by CWO4GUNNER »

In the case of scooters (dry clutch) I use Klotz racing 4-stroke oil and then boost at 3000 with 1/4 bottle STP oil treatment and continue on to 7000 miles.
Beamster

Post by Beamster »

There is so little oil in there it's better to do it more often than not because it can become contaminated more easily.