The Rest of The Story...

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Ressikan

The Rest of The Story...

Post by Ressikan »

I would have mentioned this sooner but I wanted to wait until everything hashed out and was done so I could tell the whole story at once.

Some of you may remember a couple of weeks ago I posted a question about leaking gear lube. I took the scoot back to the greatest scooter dealer in the country (POC in Cleveland). They replaced the defective seal and I picked up Pepper up the next day.

What I hadn't mentioned until now was I never made it home. I was twisting the throttle, the engine was revving, but no power was making to the back tire. I nursed her back to POC and explained the problem.

The folks at POC said this was only the third time they'd seen this problem in all the hundreds of Buddy's they'd sold. This time it was the seal that keeps the engine oil out of the compartment where the pulley's and belt are. So, we thought it was just another bad seal.

Phil and the gang said no problem, it's under warranty, we'll take care of it. I said, "Great, just let me call my wife to come and pick me up." Phil said, "No, take this bike instead." He tossed me the key to a 170i which I tooled around on for a week and half.

In the end, they couldn't get the thing to stop leaking. What they ended up finding after going over the engine with a fine toothed comb was that the crankshaft had an unexplainable wobble which was causing the seals to become unseated and ineffective. Most likely some kind of defect from the factory I was told. Phil said this was the first time they'd ever seen this.

Instead of keeping my scoot the amount of time it would have taken to get the parts and rebuild the engine, Phil talked to Genuine and they exchanged it for a brand new Pamplona, (which I picked up yesterday!).

Bottom line, Pride of Cleveland lives up to it's name and Genuine lives up to all the good things I've heard about the company for handling the problem the way they did. I'm happy. How many other dealers out there would have taken the time to find a faulty crankshaft causing leaks?

As an aside, the 170i rocks! I found the fuel injection definitely makes a difference. If I had the extra $$'s in the budget I would have gotten one of those. Too bad they don't come in Pamplona colors.

And now, as Charles Osgood says, you know the rest of the story.
"You haven't lived until you ride."

"Everything is better with bacon."

goldscott

Post by goldscott »

Awesome to hear about the amazing customer service!
Raiderfn31

Post by Raiderfn31 »

Glad to hear it worked out and very cool you got to ride the 170i. I would like to hear your opinions on the side by side comparisons of the bikes. Acceleration, handling, etc. And what is gonna be the name of the new Pamp? After all "Pepper" is gone.
"When your lawyer looks at you like you deserve whats coming, you may begin to sweat."
iMoses

Re: The Rest of The Story...

Post by iMoses »

Ressikan wrote:
And now, as Charles Osgood says, you know the rest of the story.

... It's actually Paul Harvey who said that...

But it is a GREAT story. POC rocks

...good day...
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Re: The Rest of The Story...

Post by jrsjr »

POC Phil is the best. Period. :!:
Ressikan

Post by Ressikan »

Oy, Paul Harvey, I have so much pop culture in my head it often gets mixed up.

The new Pamp is still going to be "Pepper" because I don't feel I had the other one long enough (only 260 miles or so). The 170i Phil let me ride had more miles on it when I returned it than the old Pamp. Some say I should have kept it ... it was tempting!

As for comparing the 170i to the 150... the 170i is definitely quicker off the line and through the bottom end. They seemed to handle about the same to me, but remember, I've only been riding since May so if the difference isn't HUGE then I'm not experienced enough to notice. I will note that the new 150 has a slightly cushier ride than the 170i. I'm 5'7" and 190 lbs, each of them didn't seem to have any trouble at all carrying me. I didn't try to bury the speedo with either one, I'm just not comfortable doing that yet so I can't speak on the top speeds. The 170i doesn't come with the same loud, obnoxious horn (I LOVE that Stebel air horn!) and also doesn't have the kick start. Hope that helps.

As previously mentioned, if I'd had the extra cash, I'd have the 170i. Alas, it was just a tad out of the budget. I know, I really need to realign my priorties.

ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Good story and I'm glad it all worked out for you.

There's a reason POC is one of the best-known and most reputable dealers around. Props also to Genuine for replacing the scoot.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
scootin_nate

Post by scootin_nate »

this Is why I love genuine. of course there are bad dealers in the mix and not all stories end like this.

seriously name the last time a car dealer has treated any of us that well
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Sometimes it is nice to have these unfortunate little things happen simply because they give us the opportunity to see how certain people, and certain companies, rise to the occasion. Really, really so nice to see. Big gold stars for everyone. :+!:

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Skootz Kabootz wrote:Sometimes it is nice to have these unfortunate little things happen…
…to other people…
…simply because they give us the opportunity to see how certain people, and certain companies, rise to the occasion.
:D
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

ericalm wrote:
Skootz Kabootz wrote:Sometimes it is nice to have these unfortunate little things happen…
…to other people…
…simply because they give us the opportunity to see how certain people, and certain companies, rise to the occasion.
:D
lol. Ya, true, true :) I am very happy to be a spectator.

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
jprestonian

Post by jprestonian »

I can tell you this: Kymco would not have done this.

SYM? Hahahaha! Good luck with that east of the Mississippi, this year... if ever.

Genuine really does stand behind its products better than any line I have ever worked with. They are awesome in this regard. And they don't stiff their dealers on the warranty work, unlike others I may have named, above.
Last edited by jprestonian on Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
jprestonian

Post by jprestonian »

And seriously, seeing how the major Taiwanese brands and their distributors behave towards their dealers and customers, I am telling you now: Although I lust for a Kymco People GT300i, there is no way in hell I will buy that bike, now.

My next scooter is a Genuine, or maybe a Honda.
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

Damn!!!! What I would do to get a dealer like POC over here in Arizona!
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

POC is awesome! As a former clevelander, and former customer they treated me the same when I had one of the other faulty buds in 06. They deserve their # 1 reputation. Cheers to the hard work of Renae, James, Phil and John (if you are still there John...Oddly mechanics seem to win the lottery or something b/c the longevity it not there :)) plus our very own Djelliott has treated my bud with TLC. also kuddos to Genuine for making things right. You are not going to see this with any other company.
jprestonian

Post by jprestonian »

Understand that the dealers, unless they are deep-pocketed, depend very much on the distributor to make good on these types of problems. I know POC is an excellent shop with a great reputation, but seriously, ask them if they could have done the same on any of their other lines. I'm guessing their answer would be, "Genuine is by FAR the most reasonable and customer-focused of the lines we carry."

That'd be the best, most-diplomatic way of putting it, and it would have the benefit of being true, I guarantee.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

jprestonian wrote:I can tell you this: Kymco would not have done this.
Very much depends on the dealer and the circumstances. Kymco really stepped up to help a rider who had a catastrophic failure riding in to Amerivespa from Sacramento. True, there was a lot of buzz about what happened and it became an opportunity for some high-profile service (and damage control) but other companies wouldn't have handled it so well.

SYM currently has no distribution in the Eastern half of the US (Peirspeed deal must have gone kaput). I've no idea where that starts/stops. It's definitely causing a lot of support issues.

It's also possible that with another dealer, this story may have ended differently. Everyone involved—including the OP—gets credit for this outcome.
jprestonian

Post by jprestonian »

ericalm wrote:
Very much depends on the dealer and the circumstances. Kymco really stepped up to help a rider who had a catastrophic failure riding in to Amerivespa from Sacramento. True, there was a lot of buzz about what happened and it became an opportunity for some high-profile service (and damage control) but other companies wouldn't have handled it so well.
I'll have more to say about this on July 12th, where I'll describe an incident which you can compare to Ressikan's (e.g., no spotlights or glory to be had), and y'all can decide for yourselves.
bluebuddygirl

Post by bluebuddygirl »

I didn't know what I was getting when I bought my scooter at POC, but I think the atmosphere and attitude was why I bought mine there, and how I ended up with a Buddy. Could not have had better luck. Phil and Renae always know me by sight, even though there are plenty of others that are there more often and they deal with many people all day. They are a model of customer service. :D
Ressikan

Post by Ressikan »

neotrotsky wrote:Damn!!!! What I would do to get a dealer like POC over here in Arizona!
You'll have to move to Cleveland ...lol

Keys

Post by Keys »

jprestonian wrote:SYM? Hahahaha! Good luck with that east of the Mississippi, this year.
Just one more reason not to live east of the Mississippi...

--Keys
"Life without music would Bb"
loodieboy

Post by loodieboy »

Excellent story. I have never had the pleasure of meeting him, but I think of pocphil, or more precisely, the asian man in the white lab coat, everytime I mess up messing with my scoots:
pocphil wrote:The Scooter-Tuners Mantra:

I AM SMARTER THAN THE ASIAN MAN IN THE WHITE LAB COAT WHO DESIGNED MY SCOOTER.

I AM GOING TO BUILD MY OWN SYSTEM THAT IS MORE EFFICIENT, FASTER AND RELIABLE THAN A COMPANY WHO HAS BEEN DOING THIS FOR 30 YEARS.

I AM GOING TO RUIN THIS SCOOTER - EVEN IF IT KILLS ME.
Clearly.
Raiderfn31

Post by Raiderfn31 »

jprestonian wrote:
ericalm wrote:
I'll have more to say about this on July 12th, where I'll describe an incident which you can compare to Ressikan's (e.g., no spotlights or glory to be had), and y'all can decide for yourselves.
Just for the record, I consider your word very staight-forward and honest.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
"When your lawyer looks at you like you deserve whats coming, you may begin to sweat."
jprestonian

Post by jprestonian »

Raiderfn31 wrote:Just for the record, I consider your word very staight-forward and honest.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Well, thanks -- but Eric's not wrong about all within the sales chain being responsible for a good outcome. The question is really more one of "which link in the chain takes one for the team," and in the case of Genuine, in my experience, they don't expect the dealer to bear the brunt of pulling that load. That's why my next new scooter will be a Genuine, and not a Kymco or a SYM.

UPDATE: ... and the reason I qualified in this post with "new scooter" is that this is coming home with me, tomorrow. :) It's got a blowed up motor, so it looks like GY6 time.
Last edited by jprestonian on Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

I also DO NOT think Piaggio could be depended on in a situation like this. If anything they will make the situation worse. Thankfully mine has been reliable.
pbscoot

POC is the Best

Post by pbscoot »

POC is the best dealer I've ever encountered. They are so knowledgeable and helpful. They support and service what they sell. And hats off to Genuine for going above and beyond what would typically be expected.

Disclaimer: I do not work for POC or Genuine, but I'll never buy a scooter from any other company and I will make the drive to POC (not my closest Genuine dealer) b/c they have been very helpful to me when others weren't so much.
Raiderfn31

Post by Raiderfn31 »

I have to give praise to my dealer, Vespa Of Charlotte. Great owner, employs a very good mechanic. My own little slice of heaven. If I just had more $. :shock: