Mods! I'm gonna freakin do it!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

scootin_nate

Mods! I'm gonna freakin do it!

Post by scootin_nate »

I am looking at

Dr. Pulley Weights, Sliding - Item #: 1200-1106 (13.0G)
NCY Clutch Housing - Item #: 1200-1031
NCY Clutch, Adjustable - GY6 Item #: 1200-1029
new belt of course :lol:

one question...
I tried to do a search bit couldn't find it, CLUTCH SPRINGS and COMPRESSION SPRINGS
Which ones should I invest in? :shock:

I want a balance between low and top end, but I care more about top.
Also would any of you recommend any other mods while I am replacing all of these?

Currently all stock 150.
scootin_nate

Post by scootin_nate »

okay I have been told to go with the 1000 compression spring and 1000 clutch spring.

YAY
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Here's what you need
http://buggypartsnw.com/home?page=shop. ... gory_id=20

It depends on what specific performance change you are trying to make but generally 13g sliders are pretty heavy. I suggest 11 or 12g depending on whether you want to favor top end speed, or acceleration off the line. Also I suggest a 1500 main spring.

General rule with roller/slider weight change is you can either improve top end or acceleration off the line, but not both. For example I installed the above performance kit with the 1500 spring and 11g sliders and I got more acceleration off the line and hold my speed better going up hills but I lost about 10bmph off the top end compared to stock (which is what I wanted). 12g sliders would be closer to stock performance. The DP variator does rock and has given me a much smoother power band.

Either way, you are opening a pandoras box of VooDoo! :)

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
scootin_nate

Post by scootin_nate »

Hey that kit looks nice, thanks.

My typical drive is on loooong flat straight roads haha. The scooter can cruise when wide open at 65ish (it fluctuates between 62 and 65 on the gps) probably slight grades and winds.

So I am already over the speed limit. I think 12g sounds great based on what you are saying.

Do you recommend upgrading the clutch and the variator at the same time?
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

I'm not the foremost expert on MB, but general consensus is to make one mod at a time. Make your mod, see if you like the change it makes, fine tune and adjust it as needed/desired, then decide what you might want to mod next. If you change too much at once you have a hard time knowing what exactly is affecting what.
You might also want to check out http://voodoo-buddy.com/ Lots of good Buddy modding tips/info there. (the site seems to be down as I type this but hopefully Kaos will have it back up soon)

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
strick3n

Post by strick3n »

sorry to steal anyones thunder here but is there any thread explaining how the pully's work? and even how to install, i wanna get them with a prima(since they have more durable ones out) but im not sure how they work
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

strick3n wrote:sorry to steal anyones thunder here but is there any thread explaining how the pully's work? and even how to install, i wanna get them with a prima(since they have more durable ones out) but im not sure how they work
At you service: http://buggypartsnw.com/home?page=shop. ... gory_id=16

Install instructions: http://www.buggypartsnw.com/bpnw-info-c ... cvt-system

or here on MB: topic5411.html
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
strick3n

Post by strick3n »

hahaha thankyou very much sir
klaborde

Post by klaborde »

I just re-did my CVT...
I went with all DR Pulley parts and 11g weights.
The bike is fast, and has a different feel then stock.
Mods:Prima Wind Shield, Perf Exhaust, Front/Rear Racks, Cowl, Fender Guard, DR Pulley Variator & Racing Clutch, Bright LED DRL's, Strobe Brake Light, Zumo 220 GPS, Cheeky Seat Cover, Pirate Upholstery Leather Seat
JettaKnight

Post by JettaKnight »

I'm not sure a new clutch is worth the money. I've gathered that the Buddy clutch is pretty good. You could change the clutch springs (it's a pain). I changed to the 1000 or 1500 springs. It's cheap, and moves the clutch engagement point up in RPM - better off the line performance if you rev it up.
klaborde

Post by klaborde »

JettaKnight wrote:I'm not sure a new clutch is worth the money. I've gathered that the Buddy clutch is pretty good. You could change the clutch springs (it's a pain). I changed to the 1000 or 1500 springs. It's cheap, and moves the clutch engagement point up in RPM - better off the line performance if you rev it up.

You are correct, the DR Pulley Racing Clutch retail is around $300.
The Variator was not that expensive, plus the weights.
My goal was to bring the CVT up to the best specs I could, so I did both and of course a new belt. I had some other issues I had to deal with, but now that I am passed those, I am very pleased with the results. If you want to be on the side of watching your money, I would say you change one thing at a time as you can afford it, and make the call to continue to the next upgrade. I bet I have spent over $1000 on this bike since I purchased it. I purchased it used, so I did not mind the added expense. I am waiting for my leather seat to come in, so I am pretty much done. I didn't have any interest in doing the engine mods as others have. I am now looking for another bike, and the new Blur 220i has my eye.
Mods:Prima Wind Shield, Perf Exhaust, Front/Rear Racks, Cowl, Fender Guard, DR Pulley Variator & Racing Clutch, Bright LED DRL's, Strobe Brake Light, Zumo 220 GPS, Cheeky Seat Cover, Pirate Upholstery Leather Seat
jijifer

Post by jijifer »

what's the diff btwn that Dr. Pulley kit and this:
http://www.scooterworks.com/NCY-Super-T ... 2C588.aspx

I just picked up the NCY one. I have the NCY big bore kit for 18k miles now. I'm making my scoot bionic. After this I will get that big brake like the black jack and VOILA! Bionic!

but is the Dr. Pulley a better kit? I just went with NCY because all the other NCY stuff I have (big bore and both ends of shocks) are great.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

jijifer wrote:what's the diff btwn that Dr. Pulley kit and this:

I just picked up the NCY one. I have the NCY big bore kit for 18k miles now. I'm making my scoot bionic. After this I will get that big brake like the black jack and VOILA! Bionic!

but is the Dr. Pulley a better kit? I just went with NCY because all the other NCY stuff I have (big bore and both ends of shocks) are great.
The NCY rollers are crap, and the Dr Pulley variator is more aggressive? :)
jijifer

Post by jijifer »

Kaos wrote:

I figured I'd keep my sliders, if this was weighted for 12g I would get 12g sliders as I'm rockin' 11g now (I think).

also, this comes with a clutch where the Dr. Pulley link is just the variator. Is the NCY stuff good - excluding the rollers?
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

jijifer wrote:
Kaos wrote:

I figured I'd keep my sliders, if this was weighted for 12g I would get 12g sliders as I'm rockin' 11g now (I think).

also, this comes with a clutch where the Dr. Pulley link is just the variator. Is the NCY stuff good - excluding the rollers?
Yeah, they're good stuff. I run their springs in my Koso clutch, and they've got a reputation for dependability.
SYMbionic Duo

Post by SYMbionic Duo »

Thanks for the links.

I've been itching to tinker with my blackjack.

-duo
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

How fast have you had your Buddy at, Jijifer?
Past bikes: 08' Genuine Buddy 125, '07 Yamaha Majesty 400, '07 Piaggio MP3 250, '08 Piaggio MP3 500, '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Current bikes: Two '09 Genuine Buddy 125's
jijifer

Post by jijifer »

michelle_7728 wrote:

How fast have you had your Buddy at, Jijifer?
I'm not necessarily looking for faster. My mechanic says my clutch is starting to go. I've had replace bearings already. I am pre-emptively just preparing for the inevitability of a new clutch.

I kitted my buddy 17k miles ago. My top cruising speed is usually 65 indicated. It's on the hills I see a difference. We have lots of steep inclines in San Diego. My stock 125 couldn't indicate 40mph up one I climb daily and the traffic was going 45. It was dangerous as this hill is narrow and windy. Once the kit was broken in I could indicate 55mph up that same hill.

If I tuck, on the straights, my scoot indicates 70mph at WOT. the only time I've come close to showing 80 was going down a steep straight hill.

Again, alls I wanted and got was better power up the hills. I'm not looking for any additional speed. I just worried the NCY clutch may not last as long as the Dr Pulley and since I upgraded my engine and shocks, tramission and brakes are all that is left to make it totally bionic :)
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

Ah. Okay. I was debating whether it was worth it to do anything to mine. I already cruise at 62-65 (70-72 indicated) and it's stock. I'm lucky in that 405 between Renton & Bellevue, and 167 doesn't have much of an incline though or maybe I'd be more seriously looking in to some kind of mod.

Funny how the Buddys actually do seem to go faster the more miles you have on them. Of course mine's still a baby at 4,200 miles right now. :P
Past bikes: 08' Genuine Buddy 125, '07 Yamaha Majesty 400, '07 Piaggio MP3 250, '08 Piaggio MP3 500, '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Current bikes: Two '09 Genuine Buddy 125's
jijifer

Post by jijifer »

michelle_7728 wrote:Ah. Okay. I was debating whether it was worth it to do anything to mine. I already cruise at 62-65 (70-72 indicated) and it's stock. I'm lucky in that 405 between Renton & Bellevue, and 167 doesn't have much of an incline though or maybe I'd be more seriously looking in to some kind of mod.

Funny how the Buddys actually do seem to go faster the more miles you have on them. Of course mine's still a baby at 4,200 miles right now. :P
I'm obese so I'm sure my scooter would be lots faster if I was still my size 6. My biggest mod will be losing all my weight. :)
bgwss

Post by bgwss »

jijifer wrote: I'm not necessarily looking for faster. My mechanic says my clutch is starting to go. I've had replace bearings already.
So how does the scooter feel when the clutch or your bearings are going out?
jijifer

Post by jijifer »

bgwss wrote:
jijifer wrote: I'm not necessarily looking for faster. My mechanic says my clutch is starting to go. I've had replace bearings already.
So how does the scooter feel when the clutch or your bearings are going out?
at 11,500, there was a grinding in my back wheel. Originally they thought it was coming from the wheel itself but got in there and saw the clutch bearings both needle and ball. so I had a "clutch rebuild"

my mechanic said there's a rattle coming from my clutch now. He said it's just wear on the clutch plate and that doesn't necessarily mean I have to replace the clutch yet. It does feel a wee sluggish, though. I don't hear the rattling like I did the grinding on the first round.

That means every 10k my clutch is getting worn. could be my kit that does that. so I thought i best get kit that matches the kitted engine. like maybe those 2 would work better together.