Buddy seems jealous...

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

gt1000

Buddy seems jealous...

Post by gt1000 »

So, I've been looking for a used larger scoot for a while. Always loved the Vespa 250 GTS so I've been watching the classifieds at MV and CL and lately, there have been a bunch of 250's and 300's up for sale. Would've loved to pick up a 300 but the prices are still a bit high compared to late model 250's. Looked at two 250's over the past week and fell head over heals for this one, a 2009 with under 400 miles on the clock. Fortunately, the current owner's partner is an avid rider (multiple other bikes) so they properly maintained this relatively sedentary scoot. It's perfect and I'm beside myself.

Noticed desmolicious' new addition and figured I'd add this to the mix. Hopefully I'll have it registered tomorrow.
Attachments
new gts2.jpg
new gts2.jpg (157.49 KiB) Viewed 954 times
Andy

2006 Buddy 125 (orange), going to a good MB home
2009 Vespa 250 GTS (black)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 (black)
2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, traded for Tiger 800
Raiderfn31

Post by Raiderfn31 »

Good luck.
"When your lawyer looks at you like you deserve whats coming, you may begin to sweat."
Plisar

Post by Plisar »

Gorgeous bike. That's one that is definitely on my must have list (along with the Piaggio BV300). I think i want a larger cruiser if I end up in LA (but my life is so up in the air right now).

Congrats on your new family member. Make them play nice.
desmolicious

Re: Buddy seems jealous...

Post by desmolicious »

gt1000 wrote:So, I've been looking for a used larger scoot for a while. Always loved the Vespa 250 GTS so I've been watching the classifieds at MV and CL and lately, there have been a bunch of 250's and 300's up for sale. Would've loved to pick up a 300 but the prices are still a bit high compared to late model 250's. Looked at two 250's over the past week and fell head over heals for this one, a 2009 with under 400 miles on the clock. Fortunately, the current owner's partner is an avid rider (multiple other bikes) so they properly maintained this relatively sedentary scoot. It's perfect and I'm beside myself.

Noticed desmolicious' new addition and figured I'd add this to the mix. Hopefully I'll have it registered tomorrow.
Excellent! While the speed of the 250 and the 300 is basically the same (300 is a touch perkier from the stop), the 250 gets much better mpgs, and has full instrumentation.
batgirl101

Post by batgirl101 »

that's a great scoot, congrats! here's my other one(Grey) that won't be seeing much action since i got Max (170i)
Attachments
100 miles 002.jpg
100 miles 002.jpg (60.08 KiB) Viewed 901 times
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Nice scooter! Looks showroom new! The 300gts is actually a 278cc so I wouldn't sweat the difference between that and the 250 (which is actually a 244cc), I hope to own either one of those some day soon for longer distance, highway, scooting adventures. My Buddy will always be my everyday city vehicle. Can't be beat.

Have a great time with your new toy!

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

It's the same color as my old GTS250 :cry: :cry:

They are truly awesome scooters, but one of the things to look for is to see if the previous owner replaced the exhaust coupler that was on recall. Dunno if it was for the '09, but it seems the previous exhaust system had a weak coupler and required a replacement made of a sturdier construction and materials. Not a complex thing, but it can blow out and cause damage to stuff under the cowls if you don't keep an eye on it.

Expect to start taking local freeways just to freak everyone else in traffic out. I always loved the double takes and the "WTF? Was that a scooter that just passed us... on the FREEWAY?" looks :twisted:
"Earth" without Art is just "Eh"...

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
BuddyLicious

Post by BuddyLicious »

neotrotsky wrote:It's the same color as my old GTS250 :cry: :cry:

They are truly awesome scooters, but one of the things to look for is to see if the previous owner replaced the exhaust coupler that was on recall. Dunno if it was for the '09, but it seems the previous exhaust system had a weak coupler and required a replacement made of a sturdier construction and materials. Not a complex thing, but it can blow out and cause damage to stuff under the cowls if you don't keep an eye on it.

Expect to start taking local freeways just to freak everyone else in traffic out. I always loved the double takes and the "WTF? Was that a scooter that just passed us... on the FREEWAY?" looks :twisted:
And the fuel pump,check into if it was replaced.

http://modernvespa.com/forum/topic72156
Aerosmith, None Other.
batgirl101

Post by batgirl101 »

desmolicious wrote:
gt1000 wrote:So, I've been looking for a used larger scoot for a while. Always loved the Vespa 250 GTS so I've been watching the classifieds at MV and CL and lately, there have been a bunch of 250's and 300's up for sale. Would've loved to pick up a 300 but the prices are still a bit high compared to late model 250's. Looked at two 250's over the past week and fell head over heals for this one, a 2009 with under 400 miles on the clock. Fortunately, the current owner's partner is an avid rider (multiple other bikes) so they properly maintained this relatively sedentary scoot. It's perfect and I'm beside myself.

Excellent! While the speed of the 250 and the 300 is basically the same (300 is a touch perkier from the stop), the 250 gets much better mpgs, and has full instrumentation.
my friend on her 300 pretty much kicks my butt on the freeway--me WOT, her with throttle to spare.
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

Thanks everyone for the replies and tips. I did a bit of advance research over at MV before taking the plunge so I was aware of the exhaust gasket and fuel pump issues. I'll talk to my service people when I make my appointment for the first service.

As for it looking showroom fresh? For all intents and purposes, this bike is new. I looked at a few other other 250's (2007-09) and walked away from all them because I had misgivings about each of those bikes. We all know that riding isn't for everyone and an awful lot of scooters and motorcycles sit idle after they're bought. If you're not in a rush and have the patience to wait for the right bike, sometimes your patience will be rewarded. I hope I got lucky this time but I'll know more a couple of years down the road. For what it's worth, I trust the seller at face value and feel pretty confident, although I was really hoping to buy from an MB/MV member.

And yeah, the GTS is everything I remembered from my first test ride back in 2006 (I think). I wanted something capable of the occasional freeway shortcut but I don't intend to use this bike regularly on the freeway. It's kind of my jack of all trades bike and I'll likely add additional storage and a wind screen. I have high hopes for a satisfying, long term relationship.
Andy

desmolicious

Post by desmolicious »

batgirl101 wrote:
desmolicious wrote:

my friend on her 300 pretty much kicks my butt on the freeway--me WOT, her with throttle to spare.
How big are you, how big is she?
Any windshields on the bikes?

Most people in comparisons actually state the 300 is faster accelerating to about 60, but the 250 has a higher top end. Same gearing but it revs higher.
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

Don't worry about buying "Nearly New": It's what I did on my bike because dropping $8,000 on a new scooter is VERY hard to do, and I was able to save a few grand for only 1,200 extra miles on the clock. Just make sure you find a GOOD shop if something goes wrong.

Because, if it all goes pear shaped, a new engine for these runs $4,000 and it will take MONTHS before it even gets to the US :roll: And, it seems it's easy for a moron to FUBAR these, especially grease monkey morons who spend their time banging on Harleys with hammers and claim to be a "warranty certified" shop
"Earth" without Art is just "Eh"...

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Yeah check the fuel pump and gasket....really no biggie as long as you are aware of it. Other than that

NICE FREAKING RIDE DUDE!

Personally I just don't see that much of a difference between the 250 and 300. Kinda like comparing a Buddy 125 to a 150. A couple of little differences but really you can't go wrong either way!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

congrats. Obviously I am biased, but I don't think you could have 2 better bikes than a Buddy and GTS. My GTS is nearing 10,000 (bought it used with 1400) and I have not had a lick of trouble.
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

neotrotsky wrote:Don't worry about buying "Nearly New": It's what I did on my bike because dropping $8,000 on a new scooter is VERY hard to do, and I was able to save a few grand for only 1,200 extra miles on the clock. Just make sure you find a GOOD shop if something goes wrong.

Because, if it all goes pear shaped, a new engine for these runs $4,000 and it will take MONTHS before it even gets to the US :roll: And, it seems it's easy for a moron to FUBAR these, especially grease monkey morons who spend their time banging on Harleys with hammers and claim to be a "warranty certified" shop
Totally agree on all counts. And this GTS is not my first used bike, just my first used scoot. Saving over $3K on the out the door price of a new 300 has all sorts of benefits. If I could, I'd only buy used but it doesn't always work out that way. In this case, I had all the time in the world to look for the right scooter at the right price. Finally, I have no reason to believe the scoot isn't anything other than what was advertised. I do, however, want to get that first oil change done ASAP and Denver has a couple of great scooter shops.

And peabody99 and BuddyRaton, couldn't agree more with both of you!
Andy