Cars coming really close to you at a stop light?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

un_designer

Cars coming really close to you at a stop light?

Post by un_designer »

Has anyone else noticed how some cars will come really really really uncomfortably close to your (stopped) scooter at a stop light? And sometimes they come really fast, too.

Whenever I am at a stop light and I see cars approaching, I always flash my rear brake lights to alert them. It seems to work some of the time, but other times people are just clueless.

Recently this car came flying to the stop light and got really uncomfortably close to my buddy's rear end and looked like it wouldn't stop in time. I see all of this in the side mirrors, and basically moved up about a foot or so. The driver of the now-stopped car then moved up too!! WTF :evil: :x
rajron

Post by rajron »

I have noticed that cars usually give me more room when I am on the scooter – I drive a small car as well, seems like they like to crowd me more when I’m in the small car than on the scoot.
ThisDude

Post by ThisDude »

Drive your car around a little and pay attention to the other people and you'll notice people do that anyway. Whether it's a car or bike you're in, some people are just plain bad or inconsiderate drivers.
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

Yeah, I noticed that too. But once the light turns green, they usually back off. I'm not sure what the issue is.
xtravbx

Post by xtravbx »

I dont mind them being close. Their car will change signal the light to change, while me on the scoot will never activate the signal.
Tbone

Post by Tbone »

I noticed it, in fact it was part of the factor of my accident.

At a stop light to turn left. A Cadillac or Ford 500...one of those new gangster cars is right up my ass. As the light turns the driver floors it on my left. I looked to make sure no cars were turning right and decided to make a wider left hand turn. I'm not about to argue with 2000+lbs versus me + bike=400lbs! That's when I most likely tapped my front brake and caused the low end spill (Possible gravel or liquid). I also know that I was going in too hot for the turn since I saw he was RIGHT up on my ass and I was attempting to maintain "the lead". I realized during my MSF that my ego got in the way. With speed I was attempting to argue with a 2000+lbs machine.

Prior to that it was hit and miss with drivers. The more cautious/considerate would back off. The even-if-I-really-don't-have-to-be-anywhere-anytime-soon-I'm-gonna-drive-like I'm-late driver would ride up on my ass. I only experienced 1 tailgate while riding situation. It was night, he was on his cell while driving. FAR too many factors for me to feel safe. I pulled the throttle and zipped out of there.
"Life Is all about ASS! You're either covering it, laughing it off, kicking it, kissing it, busting it, or trying to get a piece of it!"
onefoo

Post by onefoo »

I'm a new owner of a Buddy 50 - in the short time that I've been riding it, I've also noticed that some cars really crowd you at stop lights especially if you're at the front of the lane.

I'm totally fine with this - as xtravbx says, the scooter probably won't activate the traffic signal...
ThisDude

Post by ThisDude »

I find mine does trigger they lights but only if my engine is right over the sensor wire, the ones where they laid the wire down and I can't see the lines I have to move back and forth till I see the walk guy change to the red hand or put my bike on it's sidestand and run over to the light and press the button. Good thing our scooters don't shut off like they're supposed to under DOT regs.
beelzebubbles

Post by beelzebubbles »

Putting reflective stickers toward the rear could help. Say ideally where the driver's eyes would meet the sticker if they came too close :)
un_designer

Post by un_designer »

Perhaps I didn't make it clear in the original post, but it's not their proximity to me once stopped that I worry about. It's how fast people come and slam on the brakes and get really close. There's no guarantee that their car will stop w/o hitting me.

My usual thing to do when I'm the first one at a stop light is to flash my brakes when I see cars approaching in my side mirrors. That seems to work most of the time, as they brake a lot earlier, then slowly roll in. But some people just don't even pay attention at all and still come flying down.
pcbikedude

Post by pcbikedude »

What I try to do, if possible, leave a little extra room between me and the car in front of me. I do flash my brake lights to an on-coming vehicle behind me. But that little extra room is my escape route in case there is a caged driver under the influence of a substance, food, spouse, cellphone, or children :cry: :cry: :cry: .

I drive paranoid that something is going to happen :shock: .
beelzebubbles

Post by beelzebubbles »

Pcbikedude has a good point. I try to do the same. I look in my rear mirrors to see the car behind me (even turn around a few times - the movement and the sight of someone trying to look at them may better encourage the driver to take notice) - and even point the front wheel in such a way that if I need to squeeze in between lanes in front of me to evade the car from the rear, I could (hopefully). Of course all this sometimes may seem like a lot of work while stopped, but like I said I try where I can. Also, nothing is 100% proof against getting rear-ended, so if you can, wear the best protection you can.
ThisDude

Post by ThisDude »

I think the best protection you can have is a good lawyer, because EVERY time I got into in accident in my car, all of them weren't my fault and all of them were with uninsured drivers.
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

I've been rear-ended in a car... and when I started scooting I saw some photos of someone who was rear-ended at a light. The biker was stopped. The vehicle that hit him was apparently going 65mph through a red light.

So on my scooter I always stop with lots of room in front of me and pointed so that if I hit the gas I will shoot down the center of the lane or off the shoulder. I keep an eye out until there is a car safely stopped behind me. If they are approaching too fast or too close, I turn and stare at them or their bumper. Let them know it makes you uncomfortable. But try to be nice about it. No need to make them pissed of at you.

I switched to a bright yellow jacket, and that seems to help. So reflective stickers and even a safety vest might also help. They have shown that bicyclists who wear safety vests are given more room by drivers.
Tbone

Post by Tbone »

I wear (well wore) a reflective...harness for lack of wording on exactly what it is.

My wife had it, she had bought it for something for $25. Never really used it and was about to throw it out.

I wore it early am and at night when going to and from my jobs. Didn't wear it during the middle of the day...maybe I will once I get my scoot back.
"Life Is all about ASS! You're either covering it, laughing it off, kicking it, kissing it, busting it, or trying to get a piece of it!"
DarbyWalters

Post by DarbyWalters »

I have seen some larger cycles that have the taillight that keeps "flashing" when you are coming to a stop...that might just take a bulb replacement. I have seen quite a few Hondas with that setup.
ryder1

Post by ryder1 »

I'm curious...do you have any kind of case--Givi or milk crate, etc on your rear back rack?

I wonder if the case, crate, or other accessory gives the driver coming from behind more depth perception as to how far away you are.

I have more problem with drivers who come along side me if I ride to the right of the lane. Extremely close...they are passing me but staying in the same lane! YIKES!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

As well as reflective clothing/accessories, lighting and brake light modulators (the previously mentioned "flasher"), there are a a couple things that may also help.

Keep in mind that the braking/stopping distance for your Buddy is much shorter than for a car. Best thing to do in traffic is to squeeze the brake level well in advance of a light just to trigger your brake lights and let the drivers know you'll be slowing. Often they're not watching the light as intently as what's in front of them.

Also, when stopping at a light keep half an eye on your rear view mirror and have an exit planned. I've heard from other riders that they've been able to avoid getting rear ended by pulling over to the side or even just forward into a crosswalk. Yikes.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
DarbyWalters

Post by DarbyWalters »

Need a "James Bond" type smoke screen to slow them down...tell them it is a two stroke...
Founder of www.LOSTKJs.com ... Jeep Liberty Forum

Lambretta UNO 150cc 4 Stroke...Hope I can still hang around here!

GY6B...4 Valve Head, 26mm carb, Oil Cooler, High Compression head...all Stock...64mpg Top End.
castleton

Post by castleton »

I have a brake light modulator that flashes 3 times when I hit the brakes; when I notice a car coming up behind me at a light, I squeeze the brakes again to flash them. Seems to help, but once on a city street, when I was signaling a left turn but had to wait to cross traffic, I heard a "screeeeeeeeeeech!" of brakes and saw in my mirrors a car, nearly sideways, behind me. The dude had been arguing with his gf, and hadn't noticed me until she screamed "look out!" (I heard the scream.) That's been my one close call in 4000 miles (I take mostly quiet back roads).

So yes, I check my mirrors a LOT for upcoming cars at lights.
--Pam

"You're not the boss of me, now."
pcbikedude

Post by pcbikedude »

ryder1 wrote:I'm curious...do you have any kind of case--Givi or milk crate, etc on your rear back rack?

I wonder if the case, crate, or other accessory gives the driver coming from behind more depth perception as to how far away you are.
It would probably give them more to aim at. Seriously, I watched people rear end other cars because they were on their cell phones.

I had a MSF instructor tell us that he lines up on the right side of the car ahead of him to provide himself an escape route.
ryder1

Post by ryder1 »

I've had to pull onto the shoulder of the road to avoid being side swiped.

It's like I'm not existent to the car!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

ryder1 wrote:It's like I'm not existent to the car!
Well, there are those who say "ride as if every car on the road is out to get you." My take on this is "ride as if you're invisible; never assume anyone sees you there." I've been in plain sight of cars before and had them still make a move towards me, I've seen drivers look over their shoulders—seemingly right at me—and still try to pull into my lane.

Scootering has made me rather intolerant of oblivious drivers, especially those distracted by phones, their hair and makeup, whatever. I've developed a fairly deep dislike for SUVs, though I have several friends who drive them. Ironically, I think it's made me into a slightly worse driver. I keep wanting to drive like I ride, which really doesn't work.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…