Caught in the rain

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Raiderfn31

Caught in the rain

Post by Raiderfn31 »

WOW! Just rode through an intense rain-storm from work. Never felt in danger but Im sure some people were looking at me and shaking their heads. As they say,"Buy the ticket, ride the ride". I was wondering though, could a cop pull you over because he thought it was unsafe for a two-wheeler? I guess he could. Anyway that was INTENSE. :shock:
"When your lawyer looks at you like you deserve whats coming, you may begin to sweat."
viney266

Post by viney266 »

He could, yes. But he could only make a "suggestion" to you... I always prided myself on being able to survive the bad weather. A good rainsuit goes a LONG way :)

I had a cop pull up next to me ONCE in a storm and ask me if I was "okay"...Thats been it, 20 years ago :)
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
TVB

Post by TVB »

"Unsafe for road conditions" is one of the all-purpose tools that The Man has in his pocket to cite a driver who isn't breaking any of the obvious rules, but (in his opinion) still needs to get a citation. So he could, but you'd have the right to argue otherwise in court.
Raiderfn31

Post by Raiderfn31 »

Hell yeah I pride myself on being able to ride in these conditions!!! When I got home my wife asked me if it was a dangerous ride. My reply,"Maybe for some.Not me." HEHE.............
"When your lawyer looks at you like you deserve whats coming, you may begin to sweat."
viney266

Post by viney266 »

^^^ Nice!!!. Thats the attitude!...Only time I ever pulled over on a motorcycle? Hailstorm!THAT hurts LOL
Raiderfn31

Post by Raiderfn31 »

I must add that if I pulled over it would make a 30 minute trip into 40-50 minute trip. Much to long when a cold beer on a Friday afternoon is waiting for me. The motivation was strong. 8)
Chilly

Post by Chilly »

Full face helmet+ Frogg Toggs + boots = me not bothered by rain much, getting caught without any of those is a big drag. Rainy season here so I keep my toogs under my seat and helmet on my head. Got caught in few nasty storms this week but was prepared so no biggie. I do slow way down in any rain partly because of the slippiness but more so because people forget how to drive here when it rains.
2 > 4
viney266

Post by viney266 »

^^^ How you like your froggs? I haven't tried those yet.
Chilly

Post by Chilly »

Love the toggs, had them a few months and have seen dozens of South Florida downpours. Great for the warm rains here, don't overheat in them. The pants are huge, I got a large Jacket and medium pants and they are still big. The only place I get wet and only in monster storms is around the neck and chest. They pack up nice and small. Have been surprisingly durable though my friend said he ruined his quick by grazing his muffler, said they melted up like chocolate. Perfect for my climate.
2 > 4
jprestonian

Post by jprestonian »

Unless I'm mistaken, Frogg Toggs are Tyvek, right? I usually have to replace the pants (which are ridiculously large, yes) every couple of years, as I rip the butt seam bending over to zip up the leg cuffs at some point. The jacket zipper broke about three years in, and I haven't replaced it -- I have a nylon Joe Rocket liner that I use for rain gear on top, and it works well, even though it doesn't breathe as well as the Frogg Toggs pants.
toycoma98

Post by toycoma98 »

I got cought in the rain with no helmet, feels like getting shot by a shotgun in the face.
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

Last week got caught in a small passing shower, very tiny raindrops that turned into man stoppers when they hit. Just reinforced the reason why I don't ride in the rain.
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
always start with the simple, it may end up costing you little to nothing
Tenchi

Post by Tenchi »

Was riding a 175 Honda and got caught in a thunderstorm with cousin's gal friend riding shotgun in 1972. Pulled off the road and waited it out. Those were the days of riding in shorts, sandals and half helmets. We were in the country near Cape Cod, so traffic wasn't an issue. But dang, the raindrops felt like pebbles on your face. When I bought my Kymco in May of 2009, I started riding from the dealership wearing my half helmet and sunglasses, and it began to rain something fierce, and I had to stop every few blocks to wipe my lenses clear. Okay, I am a wimp. :P
Raiderfn31

Post by Raiderfn31 »

Tenchi wrote:Was riding a 175 Honda and got caught in a thunderstorm with cousin's gal friend riding shotgun in 1972. Pulled off the road and waited it out. Those were the days of riding in shorts, sandals and half helmets. We were in the country near Cape Cod, so traffic wasn't an issue. But dang, the raindrops felt like pebbles on your face. When I bought my Kymco in May of 2009, I started riding from the dealership wearing my half helmet and sunglasses, and it began to rain something fierce, and I had to stop every few blocks to wipe my lenses clear. Okay, I am a wimp. :P

Never stop. Its the point.
robby

Post by robby »

Glad you made it home safe. Lose the car and you get used to riding in rain real quick :)
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

I don't mind riding in the rain as long as I am heading toward home there is no lightning and not in heavy traffic. :) . One hot summer night the spouse and I got hit by a warm downpour riding home and found ourselves laughing like little kids running in the rain and jumping in puddles (and we are old and grouchy usually). Keep in mind this memory was of living in the midwest. I cannot remember the last time it rained in SD.