Where do you park?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

goddessofmath

Where do you park?

Post by goddessofmath »

I know, 2 threads in 2 minutes and I'm a newbie, but I've been reading the boards and haven't seen anything about this one, so sorry if it bugs you that I ask. :)

Where do y'all park your scooters when you're out and about? I know some people get annoyed that a scooterist or motorcyclist takes up "a whole parking place" with their bike, but where else are you supposed to park it?

I've seen some motorcycles park on the sidewalk close to the building at WalMart where the walk leading up to it is flat and smooth. However, I thought parking on a sidewalk was illegal and don't want to risk getting a ticket. I don't want to park way out in the parking lot just to avoid annoying people because I don't want them to hit my scooter when they fly around the rows of cars...

Home and work aren't a question for me. I more would like to know where do you park when you're out about town like at the grocery store or a restaurant?

Thanks!
Raiderfn31

Post by Raiderfn31 »

I try to park right next to the building in front, next to the mechanical horsey.
"When your lawyer looks at you like you deserve whats coming, you may begin to sweat."
beastmaster

Post by beastmaster »

when i go to heb or walmart , who needs to park! i put my basket on the front and drive down the isles , its a real head turner, but when i cant drive in stores i try to park any were there is shade
But he was pierced for our transgressions,
he was crushed for our iniquities;
desmolicious

Post by desmolicious »

Raiderfn31 wrote:I try to park right next to the building in front, next to the mechanical horsey.
Sure fire way of finding your ignition stuffed with quarters, and ice cream drips on your seat.

:wink:
ed85379

Post by ed85379 »

The legality of sidewalk parking is different in every city, and even where it is technically illegal, a lot of cities may not enforce it for scooters.

When I am out and about, if there is a free big parking lot, I park in the lot like a normal car. When I am at a store front with only street or metered parking, I put the scooter out of the way on the sidewalk. Unless I am going to be inside for a very long time (hours), it is unlikely that I'd get a ticket in that time.

From experience though, you should try to avoid possible illegal parking more at the end of the month. Those damn ticket quotas have to be met, and that will make them more likely to ticket something they might otherwise overlook.
TVB

Re: Where do you park?

Post by TVB »

Most of the time I park my scooter like a car. Even though it's legally a "moped", it's the same size as a "motorcycle"-class Buddy and it's more like a motorcycle than like a bicycle, so I park it accordingly. When I can, I try to pick a spot that drivers can see into before trying to pull into (on the end, or in the line of sight pulling into the lot, or just in an empty area), because otherwise it's easy to mistake it for an empty spot. When parked between cars, I keep the scooter's rear even with theirs to make it more visible.

Once in a while, especially if a lot is nearly full and someone might get upset because I'm taking a spot that they "need", I'll cheat and park it like a bicycle, but only if I can do it without getting in anyone's way.

Oh, I just remembered: at the movie theater there's a stub of sidewalk that doesn't go anywhere (awaiting future development). I consider that their unofficial scooter lot, and I park there whenever I go. :)
jasondavis48108

Post by jasondavis48108 »

I park in normal parking spaces dead center unless I'm with my wife & her scoot. I also don't pull in all the way to the front of the space as I want folks to know that my scooter is there before mowing it over with their SUV.
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
heatherkay

Post by heatherkay »

My husband has a Mini Cooper. One of the only things the dealer told us when we bought the car was to make sure not to pull it all the way into the parking space. Lots of small cars get hit when people pull in without looking. I figure it would be the same for the scooter.

We have a couple of parking garages around here that have reduced cost motorcycle parking.
BigBenlor

Post by BigBenlor »

I always shoot for the large sidewalks in front on buildings (ie. walmart, groceries, and even subway sub shop) At my bank (ENT) I park over near the handycap parking on the sidewalk (so I can ride up the wheelchair ramp) But I will not park on the sidewalk if there isn't a ton of space. When that happens I'll put it in a spot, I like to park backwards (facing out) in the front of a spot, so drivers can see me. And I like to park off to one side, so if there is another scooter or bike they can share with me. Like this pic of my scoot at work
Attachments
zap scooter.jpg
zap scooter.jpg (78.6 KiB) Viewed 1102 times
ed85379

Post by ed85379 »

I would like to mention one other thing about parking on sidewalks, which I am sure most of you adhere to, but I just want it stated.

Never EVER ride on the sidewalk, even for a second, even going only 1mph.

When I pull up onto a sidewalk, I *immediately* turn off my engine and push it, no matter how far down from the ramp I have to go. Also, I don't turn the engine back on until I am at the ramp, ready to drive away. It is just a pure safety issue and politeness to pedestrians issue.

Also, while parking on the sidewalk is a parking ticket violation only, actually having the engine on while on the sidewalk would probably be a moving violation (even if you're not moving at the time), which would increase insurance costs at the very least.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

There's kind of a hierarchy of considerations: what's legal, what's best for your scooter, what's considerate, what's practical.

In CA it's not legal to park on a public sidewalk. Depending on location, though, you can get away with it. Some neighborhoods, you're very likely to get ticketed (best to ask local riders about this). I'll park on the sidewalk in many locations where I know I can get away with it. You can do it in a lot of residential areas, especially where there are places between the street and sidewalk. But it's best to be fairly inconspicuous and, of course, never obstruct pedestrians or other traffic. Where you park on the sidewalk is pretty important.

The wider the sidewalk, the better. There are also some areas where it's best to park on the sidewalk off the main street—basically on the side of a building. Beware of alleyways, though. Some are safe, some are good places to get vandalized, stolen or knocked over.

It is always appropriate to take up a parking spot. In some cities, we're legally required to do so. When parallel parking at a curb, taking up a spot is the best thing to do for your scooter. I've seen scoots knocked over when parked between metered spaces. My scoot was knocked over when parked at a curb (not metered, residential) with plenty of room around it. An SUV just backed into it and took off.

Park in the middle of metered spaces. Don't leave any room for cars that think you want to share. If anyone complains about you taking up a whole space, tell them to call the city council and county commissioners and complain to them.

When parking on the street, best practice (and the law in most states) is to park perpendicular to the curb, with your rear tire almost touching it.

I wouldn't park next to another bike in a parking lot space, but would do it in a metered space (I would feed the meter, too) if nothing else was available. In other areas such as the "unofficial" bike parking areas in shopping centers, garages, private lots, etc. you just need to leave room.

Near bike racks is okay in private lots/areas, provided you're not blocking access and your scoot isn't going to get messed with by kids.

In private lots, you can pretty much park anywhere. Just make sure your scoot is visible, not likely to get backed into and, again, not blocking anything.

Despite my thinking on all of this, I've now twice had scooters damaged while they were legally and visibly parked and I was away from them. That's life as a scooter owner!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Syd

Post by Syd »

Like others have said, I also park closer to the open end and right in the middle of a regular car's parking spot. That way drivers are more likely to see my scoot before starting to turn in.

I don't see too many other scoots out and about, so I don't worry about sharing, and even there were, I'd be interested in encouraging dedicated scoot/MC parking spots anyway.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
goddessofmath

Post by goddessofmath »

Thanks y'all! That's *exactly* the info I was looking for. At the local foryo bar I realized I needed to park so people could see my scooter & not pull in on top of it, and I remembered something about parking so you can pull out from MSF. I guess if a bunch of motorcycles are typically on the sidewalk at Walmart it's not likely to be a spot I'll get a ticket. Thanks again for all the tips and info! :)

Oh & to beastmaster - we had a teacher last year who rode a motorized scooter (like the ones that look like a skateboard with a handle that you stand on) to work, and we used to tease him that he should ride it right into his room. :) He never would, but he did park it in his room since he was the shop teacher. Hehe.
TVB

Post by TVB »

ed85379 wrote:Never EVER ride on the sidewalk, even for a second, even going only 1mph.
A few weeks ago as I was on a walk along the walk/skate/bike path at the park, I happened upon a middle-aged guy on a new-looking Honda Metro, who was sitting and idling at the "you are here" map. I complimented him on his scooter (to let him know that I wasn't an enemy) before saying "but you really shouldn't be running it on the sidewalk." He gave me a friendly smile, said "I know," and continued consulting the map. I don't understand some people.
When I pull up onto a sidewalk, I *immediately* turn off my engine and push it, no matter how far down from the ramp I have to go. Also, I don't turn the engine back on until I am at the ramp, ready to drive away. It is just a pure safety issue and politeness to pedestrians issue.
I hit the kill switch just before I reach my driveway. I admit that I usually let it coast a little as I slide off and walk it from there, unless there's someone on the sidewalk, and I come to a complete stop. But my new chinascooterist neighbor doesn't kill the engine until he gets it on the porch. Even when I'm sitting on the porch and his headlight shines in my eyes. Item #17 on the list of Scooter-Related Things He's Done That Make Me Cringe. At least he doesn't start the engine until he's off the porch. :roll:
TVB

Post by TVB »

ericalm wrote:I wouldn't park next to another bike in a parking lot space,
I do this only by mutual agreement with my Buddy buddy at work. Whichever one of us gets there first claims a space, and the other parks to the side and behind him.
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

TVB wrote:I hit the kill switch just before I reach my driveway. I admit that I usually let it coast a little ...
Be careful, there, Garp.
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

ed85379 wrote:The legality of sidewalk parking is different in every city, and even where it is technically illegal, a lot of cities may not enforce it for scooters.

When I am out and about, if there is a free big parking lot, I park in the lot like a normal car. When I am at a store front with only street or metered parking, I put the scooter out of the way on the sidewalk. Unless I am going to be inside for a very long time (hours), it is unlikely that I'd get a ticket in that time.

From experience though, you should try to avoid possible illegal parking more at the end of the month. Those damn ticket quotas have to be met, and that will make them more likely to ticket something they might otherwise overlook.
Ticket "quotas" are an urban legend, and nearly all metro police departments have done away with them. It's one of those myths people like to use to justify the "unfairness" of getting a parking ticket. Many metro police departments in the US never even had a quota to begin with!
"Earth" without Art is just "Eh"...

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
goddessofmath

Post by goddessofmath »

neotrotsky wrote:
ed85379 wrote:The legality of sidewalk parking is different in every city, and even where it is technically illegal, a lot of cities may not enforce it for scooters.

Ticket "quotas" are an urban legend, and nearly all metro police departments have done away with them. It's one of those myths people like to use to justify the "unfairness" of getting a parking ticket. Many metro police departments in the US never even had a quota to begin with!
Around here I've heard from a few police officers that they're being pushed to write more tickets to up city revenues, and more and more people in the Dallas area are getting parking violations. Not a "quota" but definitely putting out more tickets lately.
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

as others have stated, use common sense when parking on the sidewalk. Park parallel to the direction of the sidewalk and leave at least enough for 3 people to go side by side. Get right against the building or close to the curb. Watch when parking near the curb that you don't impede parking meters or bus stops, and that the mirrors aren't in range to get clipped by a car parallel parking on the street. Also watch manhole covers. Another good way to get clipped. I actually saw a chinascoot parked on top of the hatch doors of a Metro fan shaft. Those are the emergency exits from the subway tunnel with a set of stairs below, big no no! I avoid parking solo in a big lot at all costs. If I'm with someone else, that's fine, but I know people's self entitled mentality, and they won't hesitate to "move it out of the way" for you. And don't block the white stripes next to handicapped spots. Those are for lift devices and wheelchair access.

You'll learn as you go, common sense is key. Don't try to piss anyone off or be arrogant about it and it shouldn't be a big issue.
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

I only use my scooter to commute to work occasionally and to take rides. So I do not really park at the stores. Even when I could have gone to the store via my scooter I do not because there is a very good chance it will not be there when I come back. Right now scooters a re a hot item. Good quality scooters are endangered species. There isn't a day when someone posts their bike was taken. I just do not see a good way to secure my bike when I am out shopping. Parking on a sidewalk is not something I want to do. Some sicko will likely knock it over on purpose just because they can.
I am not a scooter snob.
I am a scooter connoisseur
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

yea that kind of crap happens, but bad things happen to cars too. Get insurance and go out and enjoy your scooter as much as you can. Yea it sucks if it happens, and I had one stolen, but no reason not to take it out because of fear of it being stolen. Take some precautions and be aware of your surroundings. Would I leave a scooter parked way out in the boondox of a Walmart parking lot late at night for several hours with just a Xena lock? Probably not.

A comparable analogy to use is wrecking on the scooter. There's a chance of that happening everytime you get on. If you were that afraid of wrecking, you probably have no business on a scooter in the first place. With time you fine tune your skills and awareness, select appropriate gear to meet your needs, then go out and have fun. Again, have a good insurance policy just incase.
davidschap

Post by davidschap »

I park on the sidewalk all the time in SD and have never been hassled. My time may come, but so far been lucky. At work, since I work for the gov, I can't park on base unless I sticker her up, which I dont want to do. Next to my office is a Navy restaurant that I park at & can see scoot from building.

I also cover her as a deterrent...

Thanx
David
2012 Buddy 170i
Front Rack
Rear Rack
Crash Bars
Footpegs
Scooter Attitude For Me...
toycoma98

Post by toycoma98 »

Wherever the F* I want :twisted: