Can't...get it...in! Exhaust problem

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

jchapell

Can't...get it...in! Exhaust problem

Post by jchapell »

Hello! I am new to the buddy world- we have owned about 13 mopeds/scooters over the years, and the last few have been kymco. However a friend needed to sell his buddy due to an upcoming deployment, so I obliged, and I'm looking forward to benefitting from and contributing to the forum.

Now, my question - the buddy (italia 150) had the NCY exhaust fro
Scooterworks recently put on by the previous owner's brother, who also threw away the stock pipe. However, it's loud and not a performance gainer according to the paperwork, so my scooter shop lent me a stock pipe to evaluate if the NCY did add any performance. BUT I CAN'T GET THE DANG STOCK PIP ON! The cylinder bolts go on fine, and the lower side mount bolt goes on fine, but the upper side-mount hole misses the threaded hole on the scooter by about .5 mm. I can't get the bolt to go in without cross threading since it misses slightly. If I don't put it in, there is some chatter/squeeking every time the engine runs as it vibrates slightly agains the mount. This is the STOCK buddy pipe, so what gives? Anyone have a similar problem or solution?

Muchas gracias!
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

Are you leaving all of the nuts loose until all 4 are on?
Don't tighten down the header nuts until you have them all on and threaded a little bit.
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
jchapell

Post by jchapell »

Yup, I've tried just threading a few turns on the cylinder studs for maximum movement, but to no avail.

What a silly, annoying problem!
ScooterTrash

Post by ScooterTrash »

jchapell wrote:Yup, I've tried just threading a few turns on the cylinder studs for maximum movement, but to no avail.

What a silly, annoying problem!
sounds like the stock pipe got bent a bit laying around the shop. Happened to me once :wink:
Lagerhead

Post by Lagerhead »

Loosen the 2 bolts that attach the pipe bracket to the engine. Make sure all 6 bolts are loose and correctly threaded before you tighten any of them, at this point I tighten the header bolts first. I have this alignment problem on all three Buddys we've had.
ScooterTrash

Post by ScooterTrash »

Lagerhead wrote:Loosen the 2 bolts that attach the pipe bracket to the engine. Make sure all 6 bolts are loose and correctly threaded before you tighten any of them, at this point I tighten the header bolts first. I have this alignment problem on all three Buddys we've had.
This
jchapell

Post by jchapell »

Perfect! Loosening the bracket worked perfectly. I managed to tip the scooter over as I was doing it :oops: , but the only damage was small scratches on the brake lever. Oh well, it's a love mark, right?

Thanks guys!

Jordan
jchapell

Post by jchapell »

Hmmmm....after changing the exhaust last night, as well as changing the oil/filter/gear oil and checking the air filter (it was pretty clean), I rode it for about 20 min. And it seemed fine. This morning on my way to work, it started to idle HIGH- like enough to pull me away from a dead stop. Any thought? I didnt touch the carb while working, but maybe an air leak?
Beamster

Post by Beamster »

Too much subliminal Freud in this thread.