Anyone have the windscreen?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

DarbyWalters

Anyone have the windscreen?

Post by DarbyWalters »

Getting an SI and I am seriously thinking about the windscreen...I am about 100% for the rear rack w/ matching truck and the PIPE after hearing the sound...but the jury is out on the windscreen. I doubt I will ever get aero or anything but it would still probably help a bit.

Any real experiences?
Last edited by DarbyWalters on Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Founder of www.LOSTKJs.com ... Jeep Liberty Forum

Lambretta UNO 150cc 4 Stroke...Hope I can still hang around here!

GY6B...4 Valve Head, 26mm carb, Oil Cooler, High Compression head...all Stock...64mpg Top End.
rajron

Post by rajron »

My windscreen has been the best and most noticeable mod to my scoot.
I’m running the small screen and there is a big noticeable difference in stability at speed.
During the cold it buffets the cold wind away from my chest.
Those with the larger screens find the buffeting better.
ryder1

Post by ryder1 »

Does anyone have the medium size windscreen for their Buddy?
http://www.scooterworks.com/Accessories_C291.cfm

Is this the correct one?
http://www.scooterworks.com/Windscreen_ ... 20C291.cfm
pcbikedude

Post by pcbikedude »

I agree with Rajron. Absolutely the best mod I have done. I have a full Prima windshield. Makes a big difference with speeds about 45mph.
iamryan2

Post by iamryan2 »

I just added the cuppini short windscreen to my italia today and noticed a huge difference in the ride. You will still feel wind, but my acceleration is much faster and less stressful on the engine, and my top speeds have improved, not to mention how much smoother and more pleasant the ride is. Do your scooter good and get her a windshield, you won't regret it. Plus they look cool.
castleton

Post by castleton »

I have the short windscreen, too, and I can vouch for it keeping you warmer in winter, and a little more bug-free in summer! I noticed a difference in handling as well--it's an all-around plus!
--Pam

"You're not the boss of me, now."
Tbone

Post by Tbone »

I have a small windscreen on my Vespa.

I got it because I like the look of a small windscreen on a scooter and it's functionality.

I don't mind the wind being shifted up into my helmet (especially on hot days!) I personally haven't tested if I get better MPG or speed or anything like that (Requires work on my part to take the screen off...too busy enjoying riding).

I think it's one of those worthwhile investments. Looks sharp and functions great.

I personally dislike the looks of medium/large windscreens. I understand functionally their AWESOME but they look...weird to me!
"Life Is all about ASS! You're either covering it, laughing it off, kicking it, kissing it, busting it, or trying to get a piece of it!"
nonsense

Post by nonsense »

I am interested in the benefits of the windscreen, but I am concerned it will make my ride hotter in the summer. Does anyone find that the windscreen diverts airflow from the vents on their jackets?
-Cultivate Eccentricity
Tbone

Post by Tbone »

yes and no.

That's the point of the windscreen is to divert the wind from hitting your chest area. In my case of the smaller windscreen, it diverts the wind to my helmet area.

Larger screens create more of a buffer and push the air above the helmet.

With vents open you'll still get some airflow through the jacket vents but nowhere near as much as you would without a screen.
"Life Is all about ASS! You're either covering it, laughing it off, kicking it, kissing it, busting it, or trying to get a piece of it!"
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

These threads should help y'all out:

viewtopic.php?t=1563

viewtopic.php?t=1009

viewtopic.php?t=684

I did a simple search for the word "windscreen" on the forum's handy search feature. 8)
ModBud #442
DarbyWalters

Post by DarbyWalters »

It would be nice for someone to build a windscreen with adjustable vents.

GY6B...4 Valve Head, 26mm carb, Oil Cooler, High Compression head...all Stock...64mpg Top End.
Eddy Merckx

Post by Eddy Merckx »

The wind screen sounds like a good Idea, question, can you put vents into a wind screen that can be opened and closed ?????, it just struck me that it would give you the best of both worlds............
"Social graces, got any"
DarbyWalters

Post by DarbyWalters »

They could be the round style plexiglass type that rotate open and closed

ICEMAN

Post by ICEMAN »

iamryan2

Where did you buy your Short cuppini windscreen from? I have had one on order with scooterworks for quite some time now and they still say out of stock........I see you have the 07 buddy so you did get the windscreen for the large headset correct? Thanks in advance, I may cancel my order with scooterworks if someone else has it in stock and can ship right away......tired of waiting....its been well over a month now.........
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Wow, great minds thinking alike.

Vents of some sort are theoretically do-able. You can cut the plastic—a number of people actually buy tall windshields and cut them to the right size for them. You could use a hole saw—there are some made for plastics which may work.

I'd be a bit concerned about damaging the integrity of the windshield, making it vulnerable to cracks. As far as aerodynamics... well, I'm no expert but I'm sure there's be some effect...
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
ICEMAN

Post by ICEMAN »

ericalm

Great point, modifying a windscreen by cutting or drilling holes in it could cause it to crack or even separate at high speeds..I would not recommend such a mod.......
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

Does anyone have the medium size windscreen for their Buddy?
Both I and my sister have the medium windscreen and we both like them. My experience is that it really helps at higher speeds and is very nice to have if it is raining on you! You still get a little wind but nothing that "smacks" you around. I highly recommend it!
Buddy_wannabe

Post by Buddy_wannabe »

maybe come up with some type of deflector that could be mounted under the winshield .... I dont know if there is actually much room ... kinda looks like it from the pics
bee

Post by bee »

ryder1 wrote:Does anyone have the medium size windscreen for their Buddy?
http://www.scooterworks.com/Accessories_C291.cfm

Is this the correct one?
http://www.scooterworks.com/Windscreen_ ... 20C291.cfm
yes, this is the one i have on mine. i really like it, seems to keep the breeze down and looks nice. (personally, i think it looks better than the super tall ones. they just seem so overwhelmingly tall, i want to feel some breeze on me...isn't that the point? ) :D
ryder1

Post by ryder1 »

What about the new short cuppini windscreen for the 2007 Buddy 125?
http://www.scooterworks.com/Windscreen_ ... 37C291.cfm

I don't see the dimensions--is the only difference the size around the headlight?

I don't want to get too big of one so I end up with a "sail" that could sending me flying some place unintended.
BlueMark

Post by BlueMark »

I think people are overestimating the utility of windshield 'vents'. There is still plenty of air striking you behind a windshield, you should adjust your temperature with your clothing - zips open/shut, mesh jacket, liners etc. If it is just too damn hot for that to work, minor venting isn't going to help. Just pull the windshield off.

I know folks who have two windshields - small for summer, big for winter.

-Mark
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

Since I couldn't spot even one dissenting opinion I feel duty-bound to provide one. :wink:

In my opinion, if you spend a great deal of your time riding above 60 mph a windscreen can help with certain comfort issues. Of course, a poorly designed or fitted windscreen can cause a certain amount of harm as well.

I think a screen on a scooter is overkill. I don't like the way they look and I don't like the way they "feel". One of the reasons I ride is to feel the wind in my face, what little there is at 45 mph. If your rides are short and at relatively low speed, save your money for other mods. If you do lots of touring (?) at high speed a screen can make a big difference in how well you feel after a few hours in the saddle.

Windscreen advocates, please don't be offended. Enjoy your screens and sing their praises. But, if you're on the fence about whether or not to install one, take a test ride on a bike with a screen first. Then you'll know.
Andy

2006 Buddy 125 (orange), going to a good MB home
2009 Vespa 250 GTS (black)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 (black)
2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, traded for Tiger 800
Elm Creek Smith

Post by Elm Creek Smith »

I'm a semi-all-weather rider (no ice or snow). I wouldn't be without my universal windscreen.

ECS
Yes, that is my scooter.
Yes, I wear a helmet and a FIRSTGEAR armored jacket.
No, I'm not embarrassed to be seen riding it.
Yes, that is an NRA sticker on the fender.

"I aim to misbehave."
ThisDude

Post by ThisDude »

Just got the regular buddy windscreen, and on flats when I tuck under windscreen I get a good increase in top speed from about 72 on the flats to 75 indicated this translates stock 64 with tuck to 66 mph real tuck behind windscreen. If I sit up I get an improvement in speed from 65 to 70 indicated. I do notice more that sideways gusts affect you more.
ICEMAN

Post by ICEMAN »

Finally!! My New Cuppini windscreen is being delivered this week! been waiting for along time now..........scooterworks now has the cuppini short windscreen in stock for the 2007 buddy........the larger headset version.....I will post my opinions on performance, Noise etc later this week, I have over 2000 miles on my buddy now so I will know if there are any changes in performance or handling etc...................