wierd tool under seat

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

mukaiboston

wierd tool under seat

Post by mukaiboston »

So it's been a while since I last posted here. I've had my buddy for about a year when a plastic part (which I thought was part of under the seat) detached and feel off.

It was then that I realized the plastic part was actually a bag that contained some type of a wrench.

I had no idea this thing was there. Does anyone know what it is used for?
jijifer

Post by jijifer »

a wrench that can loosen many parts on the scoot. A screwdriver that can, too and a sparkplug tool.
viney266

Post by viney266 »

yeah a small basic "toolkit"
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
mukaiboston

Post by mukaiboston »

It isn't a normal wrench. It is circular with notches in it. It looks like it was built to unscrew and specific piece of equipment but I don't know what it goes to.
jasondavis48108

Post by jasondavis48108 »

mukaiboston wrote:It isn't a normal wrench. It is circular with notches in it. It looks like it was built to unscrew and specific piece of equipment but I don't know what it goes to.
I think that's the spark plug tool your referring to.
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

A picture would be helpful...
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

It is the spark plug wrench.
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
always start with the simple, it may end up costing you little to nothing
TVB

Post by TVB »

babblefish wrote:A picture would be helpful...
Maybe look under your seat? :)
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Yep, should look like a big old hexagonal socket. There are two holes in the other end that the screwdriver can go through, to give you turning leverage to get the plug in and out.

I've supplemented the Buddy tools with a little pouch in my pet carrier. I've added a tire plug kit, a Topeak miniature mountain-bike air pump, a Leatherman, tire pressure gauge, another combo screwdriver, and a couple of small Crescent wrenches. I'm going to swap out the Crescents when I get a proper small metric socket set and ratchet. Oh, and an Allen wrench set's in there, too, until I finalize the torqueage on my new bar-end mirrors.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

Surprised no one's said this yet, but (like with just about any motorcycle) those tools are junk and you're better off not using them if you can help it. They'll slip, strip bolts and nuts, they don't give you a good grip, they're not made of quality metal, etc.

Definitely leave them there for an emergency, but anyone owning a motorscooter and planning to do any sort of maintenance at all should pick up a basic quality tool set from Craftsman or some other reputable brand. (not the cheap sets they sell in the bins by the register at Pep Boys!) You'd want at least a full set of screwdrivers, a small metric socket set, and some metric combo wrenches in, say, the 7-21mm range, including a spark plug socket. There might be some Allen screws on there, too.

All the bolts on there are metric, make sure you're using metric tools. SAE tools may seem like they fit some bolts OK but they're gonna strip the bolts sooner or later.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Yeah. Cardinal Rule #1 of Motorcycle Field Maintenance: The quality of the onboard tool kit is inversely proportional to the probability that you will need it.

Old BMWs had beautiful drop-forged tools, and they never needed to be unhooked from the seat. Old BSAs had nasty stamped wrenches, and you needed them every trip out.

I'll probably add a real sparkplug socket to my pouch, which will then eliminate the need for the PGO tools.
jasondavis48108

illnoise wrote:Surprised no one's said this yet, but (like with just about any motorcycle) those tools are junk and you're better off not using them if you can help it. They'll slip, strip bolts and nuts, they don't give you a good grip, they're not made of quality metal, etc.

Definitely leave them there for an emergency, but anyone owning a motorscooter and planning to do any sort of maintenance at all should pick up a basic quality tool set from Craftsman or some other reputable brand. (not the cheap sets they sell in the bins by the register at Pep Boys!) You'd want at least a full set of screwdrivers, a small metric socket set, and some metric combo wrenches in, say, the 7-21mm range, including a spark plug socket. There might be some Allen screws on there, too.

All the bolts on there are metric, make sure you're using metric tools. SAE tools may seem like they fit some bolts OK but they're gonna strip the bolts sooner or later.
+1 lol! your so right! :lol: In answering the OP it never occured to me to tell them I'd never actually use those tools. I'd rather call Progressives roadside then try to mess with my spark plug with that crap wrench :lol:
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Actually, I used the PGO wrench on my plug during Buddy Outage #1 at 20 mi. on the odometer. It actually fit the plug snugly and did a good job at easing the plug out. Ditto on tightening the new plug (after inserting and threading finger-tight, of course). An easy half-turn of the T-handle (screwdriver) to seat the new crush washer, and done.

Actually, there's actually an advantage in using the PGO 'thick' plug wrench as opposed to a socket, ratchet, and extension: it's easier to keep the wrench in a straight line using the fatso - I believe it rested nicely against my engine shroud. The skinny extension would have wobbled a bit. Just my perception.
ScooterTrash

Post by ScooterTrash »

jasondavis48108 wrote:
illnoise wrote:Surprised no one's said this yet, but (like with just about any motorcycle) those tools are junk and you're better off not using them if you can help it. They'll slip, strip bolts and nuts, they don't give you a good grip, they're not made of quality metal, etc.

+1 lol! your so right! :lol: In answering the OP it never occured to me to tell them I'd never actually use those tools. I'd rather call Progressives roadside then try to mess with my spark plug with that crap wrench :lol:
Works pretty good actually
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

TVB wrote:
babblefish wrote:A picture would be helpful...
Maybe look under your seat? :)
I don't have anything under the seat of my Blur that meets that description...
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
jasondavis48108

ScooterTrash wrote:
jasondavis48108 wrote:

Works pretty good actually
hmm, that's good to know. Visually, doesn't inspire confidence but then again I've grown comfortable with my spark plug socket & wrench combo.
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

yeah, of all the tools, the plug wrench is probably the most useful, it's not like you're going to strip a spark plug, and it fits nicely. But even then, you'd get better leverage, rubber to protect the insulation, and ratcheting action from a longer ratchet and a spark plug socket.

I definitely keep the kit in the bike for emergencies, but I'd never use it if I had real tools available. (Babblefish, really? I've had two 06 Blurs with yellow vinyl tool bags mounted to the bottom of the seat with a built-in ziptie)
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
mukaiboston

Post by mukaiboston »

So for some reason I was not notified that this thread was updated, but it appears that it is the spark plug tool. I figured this out as I was researching why my scooter won't start now. I think it may be due to a flooded sparkplug so I am trying to remove it.
jprestonian

Post by jprestonian »

mukaiboston wrote:So for some reason I was not notified that this thread was updated, but it appears that it is the spark plug tool. I figured this out as I was researching why my scooter won't start now. I think it may be due to a flooded sparkplug so I am trying to remove it.
When the only tool you have is a spark plug wrench, every problem looks like a spark plug?
mukaiboston

Post by mukaiboston »

No, it was the spark plug. Actually, I neglected to change it so by the time I pulled it out, it was completely black from oil residue. I was able to replace it and my scooter starts right up now.