Lowest profile tires

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

pdxrita

Lowest profile tires

Post by pdxrita »

As I've mentioned more than a few times before, I'm pretty stinking short. It's definitely time for a new rear tire, so I'm needing some input. I've perused the many tire treads and have gotten many ideas, but I don't see anyone addressing the height issue (well, the short height issue). I'm currently still sporting the stock tires on my 2008 Italia.

I need:
- Something the doesn't add height (less height would be even better). Which is shorter, 3.5 x 10 or 100/90-10?
- Something that's good in the rain
- Whitewalls are preferable but not required
- Longevity is important, but so is good grip. I'm not a huge leaner - never scraped anything - but I do like to take the curves (I've been riding Terwilliger to work lately, a wonderfully curvy and scenic road).
- Thoughts on Prima and Vee Rubber tires? Other brands recommended?
pdxrita

Post by pdxrita »

I guess no one wants to have an intense, indepth discussion about tires. :lol:

Here's my main question:
Which is shorter/lower profile, 3.5 x 10 or 100/90-10?

Anyone? Bueller?
jijifer

Post by jijifer »

so 10 inches is the height and that doesn't change. 90 refers to the width and the 90mm is very slightly wider than 3.5inches.

that's my understanding anyways.
ScooterTrash

Post by ScooterTrash »

jijifer wrote:so 10 inches is the height and that doesn't change. 90 refers to the width and the 90mm is very slightly wider than 3.5inches.

10 inches is the wheel size :lol: so that obviously can't change

The 100/90-10 is slightly smaller but mostly in width
pdxrita

Post by pdxrita »

Thanks jijifer and scooter trash. I'm certainly not looking to change the 10" wheel size. :lol: I just want to ensure I'm not adding height, and maybe even shaving off just a teensy bit. At my towering 4'10" height, every tiny bit counts! So it sounds like maybe the 100/90-10 would be the best choice?
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

Have you shaved down the seat yet? That;s something that several folks with smaller inseams have done.

Howard
Iron Butt Association Member Number 42256
Club - The Sky Island Riders.
Publisher: The Scooter 'Zine thescooterzine.com
pdxrita

Post by pdxrita »

I did shave down my original seat and it was nice for a while, but the decreased padding eventually got to me, so I swapped back in a regular seat. I'm not really needing to adjust the scooter from what it currently is. I've put on almost 6,000 miles and have handled it just fine. I just don't want to put on a new rear tire and suddenly find myself unable to reach the ground! Even an inch would make a big difference for me as I'm already tip toeing.
Howardr wrote:Have you shaved down the seat yet? That;s something that several folks with smaller inseams have done.

Howard
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

What's the stock tire on there? I'd say just get the same tire, but if you have the Maxxis whitewalls, you may not be able to find one anymore. (They're discontinued for some reason.)

A 100/90-10 would be your best bet for not going any higher. These will always be the same height. The 100 is 100mm width; the 90 is the height as a percentage of width, in this case 90mm.

(You MAY be able to find/run a 100/80-10. Might want to ask a dealer if this will fit. Same width and rim size, but a shorter sidewall.)

The 3.5 x 10 (inch size) tires should have similar sidewall heights to the 100/90-10, but they may vary more since that height isn't part of the specification. I doubt you'd find one much taller, but it sounds like ever little bit counts.

Many people speak highly of the Vee tires but I haven't tried them. The Primas come stock on the Buddy 170s, so you may want to ask an owner about them.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
yeauxkneauxit

Post by yeauxkneauxit »

Sonic used to offer a foot long coney...the reality was it was only 10 inches long. Thus, the name that the coney gets now is an "extra long" coney

:D
easy

Post by easy »

white walls are limited Ive heard they have stoped making the Maxxis w/w
Prima has the sport tire w/w and Continital and Sinkos with all weather tread pattern. Ive used Stinkos on my Chetak and wouldn't use them again
what did you trade the day for?
jijifer

Post by jijifer »

ScooterTrash wrote:
jijifer wrote:so 10 inches is the height and that doesn't change. 90 refers to the width and the 90mm is very slightly wider than 3.5inches.

100/90 is definitely not more narrow. 100mm = 3.97inches and 90mm =3.543 inches.

for sure every tire, even if the same size is different.

I h-a-t-e-d Michelin S1 100/90. I <3 Continental Zippy 1 - 100/90. Same size just totally different feel.

I haven't been on 3.5 x 10 since stock. My shop explained how 100/90 was wider and I was hooked. More rubber on the road, the better to grip it with :) I didn't notice a height difference.

Consider that if you're changing to a different tread in the back, it's suggested you get the same tread in the front. If you go with a grippier back tire, I think it could feel squirrely up front.
ScooterTrash

Post by ScooterTrash »

jijifer wrote:
ScooterTrash wrote:

100/90 is definitely not more narrow. 100mm = 3.97inches and 90mm =3.543 inches.

for sure every tire, even if the same size is different.

I h-a-t-e-d Michelin S1 100/90. I <3 Continental Zippy 1 - 100/90. Same size just totally different feel.

I haven't been on 3.5 x 10 since stock. My shop explained how 100/90 was wider and I was hooked. More rubber on the road, the better to grip it with :) I didn't notice a height difference.

Consider that if you're changing to a different tread in the back, it's suggested you get the same tread in the front. If you go with a grippier back tire, I think it could feel squirrely up front.
I might be thinking backwards but my Maxxis WW is wider than my stock tires
pdxrita

Post by pdxrita »

Thanks again, for playing along. I think I've definitely decided to go with the 100/90-10. The stock tires are Maxxis 100/90-10. Since those don't exist anymore, I've gotta make a change. I'm leaning towards the Prima whitewall at this point. I'm still up in the air as to whether I'll change the front to make it match. It seems like a lot of people have lived with two different tires without big issues. If it doesn't feel right, I can always swap it.
easy

Post by easy »

thats what I'm putting on my blackjack but i got a new maxxis ww put up that'll be for nxt year
what did you trade the day for?
pdxrita

Post by pdxrita »

Anyone got this Vee rubber winter tire?
http://www.scooterworks.com/Vee-Rubber- ... 7C566.aspx

With the amount of time I spend in the rain, this is quite tempting. I'm just wondering if they wouldn't last as long or if it would be bad to ride them during times like now, when the temps are warm.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Remember, all you get with a lower profile tire is half of difference in the diameter of the two tires. I'm guessing that we are talking something like a 1/4 of an inch here. If the problem is that your shaved seat is uncomfortable, I would be thinking about having a gel insert added to the seat. I also understand that Genuine now sells a lower profile seat. Don't know if the padding is any different than your shaved seat, but it might be worth finding out.
ScooterTrash

Post by ScooterTrash »

pdxrita wrote:Thanks again, for playing along. I think I've definitely decided to go with the 100/90-10. The stock tires are Maxxis 100/90-10. Since those don't exist anymore, I've gotta make a change. I'm leaning towards the Prima whitewall at this point. I'm still up in the air as to whether I'll change the front to make it match. It seems like a lot of people have lived with two different tires without big issues. If it doesn't feel right, I can always swap it.
Ah, I did have it backwards. The 3.5 is a bit narrower
pdxrita

Post by pdxrita »

Yeah, I'm not really looking to lower anything. My primary goal here was to make sure that I didn't inadvertently raise it with a new tire. If it so happened that it lowered a little bit, so much the better, but that's not really my goal. I'm accustomed to riding like this now. I haven't dropped it yet due to my lack of reach, so I think it's okay. I just don't want to exacerbate the situation. As for the seat, if I had the bucks, I'd have a custom seat made. But alas, I don't have the bucks.

Dooglas wrote:Remember, all you get with a lower profile tire is half of difference in the diameter of the two tires. I'm guessing that we are talking something like a 1/4 of an inch here. If the problem is that your shaved seat is uncomfortable, I would be thinking about having a gel insert added to the seat. I also understand that Genuine now sells a lower profile seat. Don't know if the padding is any different than your shaved seat, but it might be worth finding out.
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

pdxrita wrote:Anyone got this Vee rubber winter tire?
http://www.scooterworks.com/Vee-Rubber- ... 7C566.aspx

With the amount of time I spend in the rain, this is quite tempting. I'm just wondering if they wouldn't last as long or if it would be bad to ride them during times like now, when the temps are warm.
This from the websites description page of said tire.
This all weather tire takes you safely where you need to go, all year, through even the harshest winters. Specially formulated tread provides the best grip at high MPH with superior water displacement and Silica-rubber compound elasticity to hold the road in cold, wet riding as well as an absorbent smooth ride during dry seasons.
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
always start with the simple, it may end up costing you little to nothing
pdxrita

Post by pdxrita »

Yup. I, of course, read the description. I was just hoping maybe someone had personal experience as I always trust that over advertising copy.
agrogod wrote: This from the websites description page of said tire.
This all weather tire takes you safely where you need to go, all year, through even the harshest winters. Specially formulated tread provides the best grip at high MPH with superior water displacement and Silica-rubber compound elasticity to hold the road in cold, wet riding as well as an absorbent smooth ride during dry seasons.
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

I replaced my stock rear tire at 8500miles with the new Pirma WW, doesn't seem bad at all but I don't really know.
I just look at the ware....
Feel???? I'm clueless...

I honestly don't think that 3-4 hundredths of an inch would make any difference in your ride height.
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
pdxrita

Post by pdxrita »

KABarash wrote:I replaced my stock rear tire at 8500miles with the new Pirma WW, doesn't seem bad at all but I don't really know.
I just look at the ware....
Feel???? I'm clueless...

I honestly don't think that 3-4 hundredths of an inch would make any difference in your ride height.
Hey man, at my height, I treasure every 100th of an inch! :rofl: You're right, that won't really make a difference. I appreciate the feedback on the Prima whitewall. That's probably the one I should go for. I'm intrigued with the Vee tire I linked above, but really, looking at the tread pattern, it seems that a good part of it would scrub off in a short time.