[NSR] [NSFW?] How to Deal with Internet Arguments

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ericalm
Site Admin

[NSR] [NSFW?] How to Deal with Internet Arguments

Post by ericalm »

Though I've definitely gotten better about it, I confess I've spent way too much time getting worked up and arguing about stuff online. This usually means incessantly reiterating a point that others somehow fail to grasp to the point or explaining myself because I feel misunderstood. This goes on and on until I sound like a big weenie. "But… but… That's not what I said! You're not getting it!" Yadda yadda.

So, anyways, I think this is pretty funny.

Phallic images follow. Turn back if you're easily offended.

(Source: http://www.notquitewrong.com/rosscottin ... -internet/)
Attachments
mad-internet-20110803-122135.jpg
mad-internet-20110803-122135.jpg (356.61 KiB) Viewed 2650 times
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

"Insert 1-10 Hitlers"...

Priceless.
Andy

2006 Buddy 125 (orange), going to a good MB home
2009 Vespa 250 GTS (black)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 (black)
2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, traded for Tiger 800
redhandmoto

Post by redhandmoto »

"Dickfinity"...

think I've found a new favorite emoticon...
honi soit qui mal y pense
ScooterTrash

Post by ScooterTrash »

haha, awesome
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

How "ironic" :twisted:

Howard
Iron Butt Association Member Number 42256
Club - The Sky Island Riders.
Publisher: The Scooter 'Zine thescooterzine.com
RoadRambler

Post by RoadRambler »

The drawings are so great -- barely more than glorified emoticons but so expressive!

I feel for the poor guy who just has to take the low road and get dick rating 2 because, "Please, this is all I have!" -- sad but true in a lot of cases!~
Syd

Post by Syd »

[EDIT] I take a lot of time writing my posts, and even then, sometimes I read a post back and say "WTF was that?"[/EDIT]

Nice.
Last edited by Syd on Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Going to go make a sandwich…
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Syd

Post by Syd »

ericalm wrote:Going to go make a sandwich…
I was editing while you were posting. Sorry 'bout that. I think the cartoon is hilarious. Much more than my original post!
The majority is always sane - Nessus
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

funny stuff

as for myself i just do what the kids do. after my opponent blither blathers on ad infinitum and expects a response from me, i simply post...

"u mad?"
Riding is riding
jasondavis48108

Post by jasondavis48108 »

that was hilarious! The fact that prof internet is a cat made it that much better although I'm fairly sure if my cat could argue with folks on the internet he'd win the dickfinity award :lol:
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

:D
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Syd wrote:
ericalm wrote:Going to go make a sandwich…
I was editing while you were posting. Sorry 'bout that. I think the cartoon is hilarious. Much more than my original post!
I was just kidding, and knew you were too. :)
jijifer

Post by jijifer »

"for excellence in dickery" I want a trophy like that!
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

jasondavis48108 wrote:that was hilarious! The fact that prof internet is a cat made it that much better although I'm fairly sure if my cat could argue with folks on the internet he'd win the dickfinity award :lol:
Now, this could simply be a difference in interpretation, but...

I believe Prof. Internet is the cap, not the cat.
Andy

viney266

Post by viney266 »

I like it, and yeah...I"ve been there too...

BUT this ones always been my fave!
Attachments
ethug2.JPG
ethug2.JPG (32.28 KiB) Viewed 2514 times
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
bigbropgo

Post by bigbropgo »

i feel like a tool after arguing. i have worked on it though. nobody wins but everyone seems compelled to be heard. craziness fo sho. the comment that still seems to get me is "your not getting my point". drives me nuts. :hit:

great cartoon above. THE INTERWEBZ IZ SERIOUS BIZNESS.
no i don't ride a scooter, i am a scooter pilot!
VICTUS MORTUUS VENATOR
jim morgensen

Post by jim morgensen »

Sure, call me what you will but someone has to straighten everyone out! I'm needed dammit..
:P :?
Bulls Eye

Post by Bulls Eye »

I think that cartoon needs to be shown before anyone can log into a chat forum. :) Thanks for posting.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

I resurrect this one every time I am at some danger of forgetting that internet posts are not really a holy crusade.
Attachments
Someone_Is_Wrong_On_The_Internet.jpg
Someone_Is_Wrong_On_The_Internet.jpg (84.82 KiB) Viewed 2439 times
foxerboy

Post by foxerboy »

Bulls Eye wrote:I think that cartoon needs to be shown before anyone can log into a chat forum.
:+!: I don't post much here, but the fact that MB isn't full of the arguing types depicted in the hilariously true cartoon above is the reason why I keep coming back here.

I frequent a particular amateur astronomers forum which, though it has hosted it's share of heated discussions, is by and large full of knowledgeable and helpful folks. On the other hand, I sometimes visit a photography forum that is something like 2/3 petty arguing and 1/3 constructive photography discussion.

Anyway, just saying that I love Modern Buddy!
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

I remember someone saying, "Winning an argument on the internet is like being the toughest guy in your chess club."
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

jijifer wrote:"for excellence in dickery" I want a trophy like that!
I can spare you one. I have shelves full of them. :rofl: The thing is, a couple years ago, I adopted what I call The 21st Century Golden Rule, which is, Never Argue When You're Right. I embraced this so whole-heartedly, that it sort of frightens my wife. If I say something that I know is correct and she disagrees with me, instead of arguing, I'll say, "Okay." Talk about radically altering the dynamic of our marital politics! And, I guess that's why I have shelves full of those trophies, so many so that I'm trying to get rid of them (and not collect too many more). :wink:
Last edited by jrsjr on Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Meresankh

Post by Meresankh »

that cartoon is awesome!
I love Professor Internet. He's so cute & cuddly!
gt1000 wrote:Now, this could simply be a difference in interpretation, but...

I believe Prof. Internet is the cap, not the cat.
I don't know about that. Everyone knows the Internet is made of Cats. Therefore, it only makes sense that Professor Internet is a cat. I'm not trying to start any arguments here, I'm just sayin'... :D
Nevada Scooter Brigade on Meetup.com
2008 Honda Metropolitan 50cc - Cleo
2007 Genuine Buddy 125 - Nepthys

BlueMark

Post by BlueMark »

Or just pull the old Your argument is invalid meme.

charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

You're all wrong.
viney266

Post by viney266 »

^^^HA!...you are correct...I was wrong. YOU are correct...as usual...I should have never doubted your god-like internet prowess and conviction...I wholeheartily apologize and bow before you...begging forgiveness and absolution...

How's that? LOL

Oh, and the internet , coming to bed cartoon? EPIC!
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

Why don't you go get a real motorcycle? Then maybe you'll have some credibility. :wink:
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

jrsjr wrote:
I can spare you one. I have shelves full of them. :rofl: The thing is, a couple years ago, I adopted what I call The 21st Century Golden Rule, which is, Never Argue When You're Right. I embraced this so whole-heartedly, that it sort of frightens my wife. If I say something that I know is correct and she disagrees with me, instead of arguing, I'll say, "Okay." Talk about radically altering the dynamic of our marital politics! And, I guess that's why I have shelves full of those trophies, so many so that I'm trying to get rid of them (and not collect too many more). :wink:
I think you may have reached a level of self-realization, wisdom and harmony that I'm currently incapable of. This is brilliant!
jijifer

Post by jijifer »

ericalm wrote:
jrsjr wrote:
I think you may have reached a level of self-realization, wisdom and harmony that I'm currently incapable of. This is brilliant!
+1 on the currently incapable. I need to let go of what R.E.M told me at an impressionable age: Silence is Approval.

I have to let go of my sense of responsibility and that misinformation can lay.

you're a rockstar! jrsjr
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

jrsjr wrote:.....The thing is, a couple years ago, I adopted what I call The 21st Century Golden Rule, which is, Never Argue When You're Right. I embraced this so whole-heartedly, that it sort of frightens my wife. If I say something that I know is correct and she disagrees with me, instead of arguing, I'll say, "Okay.".....
Okay.
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

I don't know about that. Everyone knows the Internet is made of Cats. Therefore, it only makes sense that Professor Internet is a cat. I'm not trying to start any arguments here, I'm just sayin'...

I've just got one point I need to make...

Now, time to clear some space on my trophy shelf!
Andy

Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

:+!: this whole post.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
RoadRambler

Post by RoadRambler »

This should be a PM I know, but it'll give the mods something to correct me on, but Andy/gt1000, is that AN AIREDALE PUPPY? Cute, cute, cute! Want one!! :D
Meresankh

Post by Meresankh »

gt1000 wrote:
I don't know about that. Everyone knows the Internet is made of Cats. Therefore, it only makes sense that Professor Internet is a cat. I'm not trying to start any arguments here, I'm just sayin'...

I've just got one point I need to make...

Now, time to clear some space on my trophy shelf!
Ha! Nice return.I submit to you on this one. :D
Nevada Scooter Brigade on Meetup.com
2008 Honda Metropolitan 50cc - Cleo
2007 Genuine Buddy 125 - Nepthys

gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

RoadRambler wrote:This should be a PM I know, but it'll give the mods something to correct me on, but Andy/gt1000, is that AN AIREDALE PUPPY? Cute, cute, cute! Want one!! :D
Close, but she's a Welsh Terrier. Probably around 12 or 13 weeks old in that picture, taken after her first bath. We've had Airedales before, a Welshie is like a 1/3 sized Airedale topping out at 25 pounds or less.
Andy

bluebuddygirl

Post by bluebuddygirl »

jijifer wrote:
ericalm wrote:
jrsjr wrote: I can spare you one. I have shelves full of them. :rofl: The thing is, a couple years ago, I adopted what I call The 21st Century Golden Rule, which is, Never Argue When You're Right. I embraced this so whole-heartedly, that it sort of frightens my wife. If I say something that I know is correct and she disagrees with me, instead of arguing, I'll say, "Okay." Talk about radically altering the dynamic of our marital politics! And, I guess that's why I have shelves full of those trophies, so many so that I'm trying to get rid of them (and not collect too many more). :wink:
+1 on the currently incapable. I need to let go of what R.E.M told me at an impressionable age: Silence is Approval.

you're a rockstar! jrsjr
I'm with you people, I am so with you!
Blackshirt

Post by Blackshirt »

charlie55 wrote:Why don't you go get a real motorcycle? Then maybe you'll have some credibility. :wink:
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

bluebuddygirl wrote:
jijifer wrote:
ericalm wrote: I think you may have reached a level of self-realization, wisdom and harmony that I'm currently incapable of. This is brilliant!

you're a rockstar! jrsjr
I'm with you people, I am so with you!
Just try it. The next time somebody tries to start an argument and you know you're right, just defer to them. Say okay in the most neutral tone you can muster and leave it at that. You'll know you're getting really good at it when you can purse your lips and give a little nod of the head as if you've thought it over and realized that the other person might just be right. It gets easier with practice. Some folks will eventually figure it out and that will be pretty cool. Some folks will never get it and they will end up being buried in the Charlie Sheen wing of the cemetary with their collection of trophies for winning. And you won't. And that will be okay, too. Right? :wink:
still shifting

Post by still shifting »

PeterC wrote:I remember someone saying, "Winning an argument on the internet is like being the toughest guy in your chess club."
Wait I am the toughest guy in the chess club... And now I am going to make a sammich! R
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

jrsjr wrote:Just try it. The next time somebody tries to start an argument and you know you're right, just defer to them. Say okay in the most neutral tone you can muster and leave it at that. You'll know you're getting really good at it when you can purse your lips and give a little nod of the head as if you've thought it over and realized that the other person might just be right. It gets easier with practice. Some folks will eventually figure it out and that will be pretty cool. Some folks will never get it and they will end up being buried in the Charlie Sheen wing of the cemetary with their collection of trophies for winning. And you won't. And that will be okay, too. Right? :wink:
Robert DeNiro perfected the "okay" in Goodfellas. Arguing with Billy Batts over who started an arguement, he fired an "okay" just to shut him up, knowing what was about to go down after Batts got more boozed up and his goons leave him there. Priceless scene, at the 3:15 mark on the link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igHuG0HWVf4 *graphic violence and language*