gear oil leaking

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

dmonay83

gear oil leaking

Post by dmonay83 »

I have gear oil leaking. I know it is not the bolt because it was recently re-tapped with a new bolt. Overfilled the oil may be a possibility. Could that cause damage or will it leak until the levels are normal?
dmonay83

Post by dmonay83 »

modern buddy 125cc
desmolicious

Post by desmolicious »

The correct amount of gear oil is about 90cc.

With other bikes, the normal amount is to add gear oil until it reaches the top of the fill hole. If you do that on a Buddy, it will be drastically overfilled and will leak out from the breather.

Drain the gear oil, and re fill with only 90cc.
pcbikedude

Re: gear oil leaking

Post by pcbikedude »

dmonay83 wrote:I have gear oil leaking. I know it is not the bolt because it was recently re-tapped with a new bolt. Overfilled the oil may be a possibility. Could that cause damage or will it leak until the levels are normal?
I did learn a difficult lesson when I overfilled mine. Yes, it can blow out one of seals and it will leak. It takes only 4oz of gear oil.
The scenery only changes for the lead scooterist.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

4 ounces equals about 125cc. I would follow desmolicious advice to refill with about 90cc or so. Because the gear oil is fairly thick you really never drain it all out - so you really don't need to put 125cc back in.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I measure what I drain out and replace exactly that amount.

If you're overfilled, I'd go with the suggestions above of draining, then filling with about 90cc.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
viney266

Post by viney266 »

I just use a BIG syringe...Pull in 90cc, and go from there. Makes it simple.
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

viney266 wrote:I just use a BIG syringe...Pull in 90cc, and go from there. Makes it simple.
Yup that's what I use now too. IIRC, it's a kitchen tool, a graduated "flavor injector." I have some surgical tubing on the end.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
dmonay83

Post by dmonay83 »

so should i pay the 180 to get it resealed or should i try to put in a lesser amount of oil. seems to be coming from somewhere on the gear oil box.
ScooterTrash

Post by ScooterTrash »

dmonay83 wrote:so should i pay the 180 to get it resealed or should i try to put in a lesser amount of oil. seems to be coming from somewhere on the gear oil box.
It's coming out of the weep hole on the case. Just refill the fluid with the proper amount