did i overheat

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

dannomann

did i overheat

Post by dannomann »

Hi everyone. I have just been luking here because I am new to scootering and have just had a buddy 125 for a month now. I had the first service performed on Saturday. Rode a couple of miles home and later around the neighborhood. She seemed to be running as good as always. When I checked the oil I think they overfilled it as it is all the way at the top of the hashed area. They are a Harley dealership that is certified to work on Genuine.

The problem is Sunday I when for a long ride. It was kind of hot out and I stopped once but only very briefly. I rode kind of hard and for probably over an hour. Then going downhill she died on me. She would not start up right away. After a little while i got her started and rode another couple miles before she died again. I was at a safer place and let her sit about 15 min. Then I rode a couple of more miles to a park where she died again. Parked in the shade and waited 30 min. Then she seem to run just fine but I took a long break to get something to eat and drink on my way home.

I was riding her a bit hard hitting 50 and 60 indicated on some roads. I feel bad that I may have pushed my sweet girl too hard. Is it just overheating? Is this really bad? And should I take just a little of the oil out so it is not overfull? When I got her the oil was in the high part of the hashed area.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

If you are measuring the oil without screwing in the dipstick and the level is within the hashed area - then you are fine. Can't say whether you are overheating the bike without more info but the usual way to overheat a Buddy is stop and go low speeds in very hot weather - or possibly sustained running at very high speeds. Your ride does not sound like either one. Did you try removing the gas cap to see if the scooter would start up? This is the usual test for a problem with fuel tank venting.
PIStaker

Post by PIStaker »

How much gas did you have in it at the time? Not sure about the not starting part, but the loss of power could be vapor lock. Very common issue.

viewtopic.php?t=18541&highlight=vapor
smithrw

Post by smithrw »

+2 on checking the gas cap. Mine did almost the exact same thing. Just drilled a vent hole in it and the problem is gone.
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

I don't know that it's actually possible to overheat a Buddy. I've ridden in temps approaching 120 degrees with no ill affect. My guess is vapor lock. Get yourself a vented gas cap, my friend.

Howard
Iron Butt Association Member Number 42256
Club - The Sky Island Riders.
Publisher: The Scooter 'Zine thescooterzine.com
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

Can't tell from your post: did you check your oil immediately after you rode or did you give the scoot a chance to cool down? Check your oil when the scoot is cold for an accurate reading.

I actually have overheated a scooter with sustained high speed running but that was a kitted 2 stroke running at the far extremes for an extended period. Your ride doesn't sound like this. Were you riding WOT in very hot conditions for any length of time? If not, the other solutions mentioned above are far more likely.
Andy

2006 Buddy 125 (orange), going to a good MB home
2009 Vespa 250 GTS (black)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 (black)
2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, traded for Tiger 800
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Yes, vented gas caps are available. There is also a good post here showing how to modify your existing gas cap. (Hmmm, this was actually posted after the one below)
dannomann

Post by dannomann »

Thanks. I checked the oil cold but though you had to screw the dipstick back in to get a reading.

The problem is probably vapor lock. The idea did go through my head at the time. I opened the gas tank every time I stopped and the first time it did not start up right away till i did open the tank. I didn't listen and don't know if it made a hiss. Do they make vented gas caps? I didn't see any on scooterworks. Before I drill a hole in the cap i want to see if I can get it to happen again.

Ran good on my 2 mile commute today. I think i was just newbie worried. These engines really are tough. My ride was probably tame by most peoples standards.
bluebuddygirl

Post by bluebuddygirl »

The oil is fine. Anywhere in the hashed area is acceptable, and most fill it towards the top of that. If it is over the hashed area THEN it is too filled.
pdxrita

Post by pdxrita »

My experience with vapor lock was that it only happened when I was getting low on gas. So if it ran fine today, did you fill it in between the issue occurring and now? If so, it might crop back up again at the end of this tank. Also, 2 miles might not be quite enough for it to happen. Mine always happened after 3 or 4 miles. The other thing I wanted to mention was that I never heard a hissing sound when opening the gas cap, and I believe others have had that same experience. So don't rely on that as an indicator of whether it's vapor lock. Suffice it to say, once I drilled my cap, a super easy 5 minute task, the problem went away for good.
dannomann wrote:Thanks. I checked the oil cold but though you had to screw the dipstick back in to get a reading.

The problem is probably vapor lock. The idea did go through my head at the time. I opened the gas tank every time I stopped and the first time it did not start up right away till i did open the tank. I didn't listen and don't know if it made a hiss. Do they make vented gas caps? I didn't see any on scooterworks. Before I drill a hole in the cap i want to see if I can get it to happen again.

Ran good on my 2 mile commute today. I think i was just newbie worried. These engines really are tough. My ride was probably tame by most peoples standards.
omgjoz

Post by omgjoz »

Just wanted to thank everyone for their contributions, you've saved me a lot of heart ache. I haven't talked much on here, but its the first place I go to when I'm in trouble. I used your advice for vapor lock this morning and she's been running fine since, so thanks again.

- Andrew