Really crummy service at Scooterworks Chicago (Damen Ave.)

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

amychicago

Really crummy service at Scooterworks Chicago (Damen Ave.)

Post by amychicago »

I was a staunch defender of Scooterworks Chicago (the Damen retail/service), but my encounters with them in the last few months have been horrible. Messed up orders for parts, no returned phone calls, delays on getting repairs completed despite being assured "we're bringing it into the back right now..." .

The final straw for me was this afternoon. I went to pick up my scooter after some repairs were done. The new front service desk person brought me over to where it was parked and we immediately saw that the entire front cowl, tire guard, speedometer and handlebars were covered in a layer of grease and dried stuff that was the consistency of dried chewing gum. That was not how I brought the scooter in on Friday afternoon.

The front desk person said, "Wow, they sure were messy back there. Well, you know, you could just use some Dawn on that and get it off." My response was, "Do _you_ have some Dawn here to get it off now?" She returned with a can of some spray and proceeded to start wiping one side of the scooter. I am scraping away at all the dried crap with my fingers. "Well, it's not really working. Sorry," was the response after a couple of minutes. Great.

COME ON, GUYS! I understand that I'm a newer (4 years?) rider, that I'm a female, and that I spoke to Service Manager (Fred) on Friday and asked him why we never got phone calls returned from him, but really??!? Leaving (or putting) all this crap all over the scooter? Not cool.

I am now actively seeking a different place to take my Buddy for service. Any suggestions? Thanks.
jasondavis48108

Post by jasondavis48108 »

wow, that sucks. Most good shops will return your scooter to you cleaner than when you dropped it off. I'd be pretty damn pissed off too. Hope you find a better shop to take your scoot to.
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
goldscott

Post by goldscott »

Wow. This makes me glad that I do my own work on my scooter.

I don't know what the service is like on a 50cc. What do you take it in for? How often?

Do you have any friends that are really into scooters/motorcycles that can help you?

There's a lot of Buddy riders in Chicago. Hell, I'd even help. My girlfriend just got an old Honda Spree 50cc that I told her I'd maintain, so I guess it's time to learn what to do for a 50cc two stroke.
tbonestone

Post by tbonestone »

Amychicago, Sorry to hear your experiences there. There's a reason I myself don't ride Vintage any more. I refuse to let them take my money any more. I now ride a big Honda Helix just so I can use Helix parts USA and Battlescooters to get what I want/need.

Anyways, There is a dealership in Arlington Heights, IL for something like a warranty job. Otherwise I, hands down on a stack of every holy text known to man, swear on the service of the nice folks at Ace Motorcycle and Scooter in Chicago on Jackson roughly .8mi west of Union Station. Everyone at Ace has been super nice to me no matter what lame duck I rode in on that day. The only drawback to Ace is this: everyone loves them so much you need reservations for service.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

amychicago, since your post also appears in an existing thread on this topic, I'm locking this one.

Please don't double post!

Thanks,
Mgmt.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
redhandmoto

Post by redhandmoto »

dis one: topic18870.html

(Hah! In after the Lock!) :P
honi soit qui mal y pense