New Member: arrivaderci Vespa, howdy Buddy

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

chickenslut

New Member: arrivaderci Vespa, howdy Buddy

Post by chickenslut »

Hi Everyone,

New to this forum, but was on MV for a bit. After my Vespa got knocked over by someone parking their cage I am still waiting on my settlement check (to which they made a fair (at best) offer). Mostly bummed because I only got to ride for 2 months and now I'm back to $6 a day on bus fare.

After doing some shopping around and visiting the Mothership Showroom, since I live 10 mins away, I was blown away by the Buddy. She made such a compelling argument to purchase and the staff was very chill.

I am likely going to wait until super early next season to purchase new. Do you guys think that's a good time to buy-deal wise?

Also, I'm coming from a Vespa ET4 150cc and thinking about the Buddy 125. The international and 170 are out of my price range. Do you think I will notice any major difference in performance since most of my driving is city traffic?

Thanks and I'm looking forward to being a contributing member.
-CS
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

probably not a noticeable difference in city riding, you'll be pleased at how well the Buddy performs all around. Me, I would shop around in the winter when sales are low and good deals can be had, or bargained. You could save some money, and break it in from time to time. I know Chicago has some rough winters,, but there's probably a few chilly, but rideable days hidden in there you can use to "break in" the scooter before the warm weather comes back.
laxer

Post by laxer »

I think you'll be pleased with how light and nimble the Buddy is, and of course by how much fun it is! :D
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

Welcome!

My husband has a Fly 150 and I have a Buddy 125. We both weigh about the same (145/150 :oops: ), and his scooter is hard pressed to keep up with mine, even at 55/60 mph. :P
Past bikes: 08' Genuine Buddy 125, '07 Yamaha Majesty 400, '07 Piaggio MP3 250, '08 Piaggio MP3 500, '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Current bikes: Two '09 Genuine Buddy 125's
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

I think the first major difference you'll notice is how much quicker the Buddy is. Once that sinks in, you'll also begin to realize that the Buddy is a little harsher ride-wise than the Vespa. Both are very nice rides but they are different. Power and acceleration are Buddy strong points.

Personally, I think the best time to buy new is typically at the end of the current riding season, not the beginning of the new season. That's based on past experience. Who can predict anything with confidence under the current conditions?
Andy

2006 Buddy 125 (orange), going to a good MB home
2009 Vespa 250 GTS (black)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 (black)
2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, traded for Tiger 800
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

gt1000 wrote:I think the first major difference you'll notice is how much quicker the Buddy is. Once that sinks in, you'll also begin to realize that the Buddy is a little harsher ride-wise than the Vespa. Both are very nice rides but they are different. Power and acceleration are Buddy strong points.

Personally, I think the best time to buy new is typically at the end of the current riding season, not the beginning of the new season. That's based on past experience. Who can predict anything with confidence under the current conditions?
The Vespa is like a Saab 9-3 coupe: Quick, but you know it could be quicker. Quality built and iconic looks with a very well designed engine, but you'll pay for parts and service. Cult following and passionate owners, but they can cause burn out for enthusiasts with the way the company treats US customers.

The Buddy? Think Mazda MX-5 Miata: Sold all around the world under different names, but has remained relatively unchanged in the looks department. Tight, nimble and not big on fluff but MAN is it a fun rocket! Not as luxurious but who cares? Eats sports cars twice it's cost for breakfast and a loyal aftermarket with tons of bling for it.

That's at least how I describe scooters to a non-rider.
"Earth" without Art is just "Eh"...

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
chickenslut

Post by chickenslut »

Thanks for all the insight guys and gals. I figure I will try and buy over the winter if I can since like neotrotsky said "it is relatively unchanged". I really don't care if I'm riding a 2011 or 2012 if it's the same everything and I can get a better deal.

I know Scooterworks is even hard pressed to sell a scoot in January, so if I can get a deal I will. When I tested for my license on the Buddy 150 I was shocked at how I had to restrain the throttle compared to my ET4. That thing took off like crazy.

Now if we can just breeze through this winter and move on to next summer I will feel much better :D
jijifer

Post by jijifer »

I think a 125 is PERFECT city riding. You don't have too many directions you can go without having to stop every couple of blocks. I'm not sure getting on Lake Shore Drive would be an awesome idea but heck, I didn't like being on that in a car, either. I could be wrong, maybe all sorts of scooters get on the LSD. But for urban/city riding - holy smokes the 125 will be fun!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Not much to add other than welcome to the forum!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Syd

Post by Syd »

I could be wrong, maybe all sorts of scooters get on the LSD.
What is this, Woodstock?
The majority is always sane - Nessus
jijifer

Post by jijifer »

Syd wrote:
I could be wrong, maybe all sorts of scooters get on the LSD.
What is this, Woodstock?
some days, in Grant Park, you could think so. LSD is a common term for Lake Shore Drive. I don't think it's technically a freeway. Runs along the lake (shore) but notorious for gridlock and accidents.

I like this shot, a scene from last winter when a storm kicked up and cars were abandoned on the drive:

this is her at night:

BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

a cruise up and down Lake Shore is a must in Chi-town. The Buddy would handle it no problem. I'd still gear up and consider it nearly a freeway. Much like the parkways around here.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Welcome aboard!

My two cents worth - If you have already made up your mind on the 125 Buddy, then I don't think you gain much by waiting. There are good buys on 125 Buddys right now (as well as closeout prices on the last 150s). The only reason I can see to wait is if you are interested in the fuel injected 170i Buddy. They are still in short supply at the moment and not many deals around. Next winter or early spring, I imagine that will change.