Throttle sensitivity on Buddies (125)

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Bolbos

Throttle sensitivity on Buddies (125)

Post by Bolbos »

I've touched on this subject a few weeks ago. The wife and I have completed our vacation where we rented scooters and are ready to purchase. We just wanted to make sure the idea was as good in practice as on paper, and we enjoyed the rentals so much we took them out for a second day (Williamsburg, Va...nice area to ride).

Anyhoo, We're now in the process of doing more test riding (wife just passed her MSF, so we're 'both' good to go now) and we won't get to ride the buddy for several more days at least. In the meantime, I've tested a Kymco Super 8 which didn't sound very good (compared to the 49cc 2T Euro Strada's on our vacation), had very sensitive throttle response from the first flick and then not much oomph after.

Tested a Zuma briefly a couple weeks ago and it may be a contender, I have to try it now that I'm a bit more experienced/comfortable. But I wrote on here about it having a 'dead spot' in the throttle. I was able to turn in the throttle about an inch before the wheel would engage and I didn't know if it was normal. Some folks responded that it needed adjustment.

But I drove a Vespa 150 recently that had the same thing, as did the cheap Chinese bike I rented for vacation. So it appears that most often, that dead spot is normal and lets you ease into the throttle. The Vespa was very quick once it did engage, I must say.

So, we're hopefully going to try the 125 this weekend and I'd like to know if the throttle does that same 'dead spot' thing. I've read a post where someone says the Buddy 125 is quicker throttle wise than the Vespa. I don't mind if the Buddy 125 is quick (though it's hard to imagine that it's peppier out the gate than the Vespa....it was an enlightening experience), but the wife and I would not like a very sensitive throttle that has no 'play' in it before it engages. Appreciate any input....
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

It may be hard to imagine but the Buddy is quicker off the line than a 150 Vespa.

Throttle cables can be adjusted to allow for slack or not. Most riders prefer a responsive throttle because the more you're forced to use that twisting action, the sooner fatigue can set in. In any event, you or your shop could adjust the cable to suit your preference.

If I had to guess, I'd say the scoots you tested (if they were rentals or at dealers) were deliberately set up for some slack in the cable to avoid the all too common "whoops, this is faster than I figured" type of low speed test ride crash that's pretty common at dealerships.
Andy

2006 Buddy 125 (orange), going to a good MB home
2009 Vespa 250 GTS (black)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 (black)
2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, traded for Tiger 800
viney266

Post by viney266 »

Alo, you may be feeling a "lean" spot in the carb. The epa is making bikes ( and cars) run SO LEAN to pass emissions, that sometimes they have a "dead spot" just off of idle. MANY modern dirt bikes have this in spades...

The only thing I can say is. After you own the scoot a few weeks; I"m sure that hesitation if there is any, won't even bother you. AND , as above, you can always make sure the cable is et-up properly. Just mention it to your dealer where you get the scoot.
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
Bolbos

Post by Bolbos »

Just to make sure everyone understands, I 'like' the dead spot and am hoping that the Buddy 125 is the same way. It's nice to be able to ease into the throttle an inch or so before getting underway. It seems safer (don't have to worry about accicentally trigering quick acceleration when at an idle/stop) and just seems like you're more in control of the throttle. On the three bikes that I've experienced it on, you can hear the motor slowly rev up during part of that 'dead zone', but not enough to move the rear wheel (at least with someone on it). Feels right, not wrong, hoping it's normal for Buddy scooters for when the wife and I try one soon. Thanks again for replies....
Mtlgrlie

Post by Mtlgrlie »

My blackjack 150 does it.... :) I like it too.
flatblackbuddy

Post by flatblackbuddy »

My 125 has that dead spot, which is a little unnerving to new riders. My wife in particular has an issue with it because she's scared to give it some throttle and then has a hard time balancing from a stop.

I personally like being able to give it a little bit without it taking off on me. It helps me get out into traffic from a dead stop without the jerking of immediate throttle response.
Dress for the crash, not for the ride

PeteH

Post by PeteH »

I find that the bit of slack before clutch engagement lets you blip the throttle a little after starting the engine or waiting out a light without worrying about a rollaway. I tend to keep my idle set a little low (without excessive vibration), and sometimes a little blip smoothes things out.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

That dead spot is in some ways a safety thing. It's supposed to be there. Without it, there'd be a lot of jackrabbit starts and drops when riders accidentally engage the throttle.

I've reduced mine by tightening the cable once I got used to it. (Also, the cable will stretch out over time and give a little more slack.) But there should be some free play there.

What's more important is throttle response once it's actually engaged.
gt1000 wrote:It may be hard to imagine but the Buddy is quicker off the line than a 150 Vespa.
True for the carbureted 150, but I've not seen a Buddy 125 go up against the newer 150ie.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…