Very disturbing attack on scooterist

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Scootermeister

Very disturbing attack on scooterist

Post by Scootermeister »

devojones

Post by devojones »

This is disturbing but I don’t expect this to become some kind of trend, nor would it be necessary to worry much about being targeted because we are scooterist. This was about riots and looting. Someone saw the opportunity to steal and took it.
All right for you
irishtim

Post by irishtim »

Sheesh! I hope it doesn't get like that in US cities.
OH,PA,IN,WV,KY,TN,WI,MI,SC,ON,BDA
Keys

Post by Keys »

irishtim wrote:Sheesh! I hope it doesn't get like that in US cities.
The current societal trend towards disregarding the most basic precepts of civility in our own cities tells me that it, indeed, will. "It's all about me and what I want, and I want it RIGHT NOW!!" seems to be the prevailing mindset. Working in a jail, I see this mindset at the forefront of the issues facing probably 90% of the inmates belonging to the last 2 generations. Sad.

Think about the jackass sitting in the car next to you at the light with his windows down, blasting his "music" (and I'm being VERY liberal with the use of "music" in this case) and consider if consideration for those around him is foremost in his mind. Of course not...it's all about him (or her) and what he wants and his or her attempts to impress all those around him or her with how he or she has total disregard and contempt for everyone who is not him or her.

Rant over.

--Keys
"Life without music would Bb"
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

devojones wrote:This is disturbing but I don’t expect this to become some kind of trend, nor would it be necessary to worry much about being targeted because we are scooterist. This was about riots and looting. Someone saw the opportunity to steal and took it.
exactly. note to self... large crowd + tensions high = take a detour. the rider was caught in the wrong place at the wrong time, and he stood out like a sore thumb by riding a scooter through the mob. same thing happened to Reginald Denny, but with a much worse outcome in his case.
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

This is a touchy subject, please keep it related to scootering and not racist/nationalist/political. I've deleted one comment that was probably meant to be silly and tounge-in-cheek but was insulting nonetheless, consider that a warning and keep it civil or we'll lock the thread, thanks.

Bryan
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
rayk

Post by rayk »

I just tried the link and the Video is no longer available.

Oops. Just tried it again and it was up.
Jeez. What a mess.
Last edited by rayk on Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MB #2932
Ride safe.
Syd

Post by Syd »

See the power the mods have?
The majority is always sane - Nessus
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

Good point, Syd, we glamorize the mods vs rockers fights in the 60s, but they were just as mindless and stupid as all this is now, probably more so.

I've always found Quadrophenia to be an interesting (and of course fictionalized) look at how appalling and entitled teenagers can be, but others watch it for fashion ideas and a guide to life.

Bb.
Syd

Post by Syd »

illnoise wrote:Good point, Syd, we glamorize the mods vs rockers fights in the 60s, but they were just as mindless and stupid as all this is now, probably more so.

I've always found Quadrophenia to be an interesting (and of course fictionalized) look at how appalling and entitled teenagers can be, but others watch it for fashion ideas and a guide to life.

Bb.
Huh, and here I was just making a joke of how the mods on MB have the power to get a video pulled!
The majority is always sane - Nessus
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

Syd wrote:Huh, and here I was just making a joke of how the mods on MB have the power to get a video pulled!
LOL! Or how their weird thought processes can make weird left turns out of nowhere. I've just sort of had that thought in my head since the riots started, I've read Among the Thugs and Absolute Beginners and seen Quadrophenia, so I know everything there is to know about rioting in england, right?

Bb.
dmwarren

Post by dmwarren »

wow... that would be horrible.
Coyote

Post by Coyote »

That's it... I'm ording a Piaggio auto destruct device to put in the buddy this weekend. If that happens to me, I press the button on remote and it goes BOOM!

You can also avoid ridng your scoot through a crowd of more-government-entitlement-seeking anarchists too.
Legitimate Mustard

Post by Legitimate Mustard »

Keys wrote:...Working in a jail, I see this mindset at the forefront of the issues facing probably 90% of the inmates belonging to the last 2 generations. Sad.
When you complain about the younger generation, please remember who raised them.
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

Legitimate Mustard wrote:
Keys wrote:...Working in a jail, I see this mindset at the forefront of the issues facing probably 90% of the inmates belonging to the last 2 generations. Sad.
When you complain about the younger generation, please remember who raised them.
...or "didn't" raise them, if you know what I mean. :roll:
Past bikes: 08' Genuine Buddy 125, '07 Yamaha Majesty 400, '07 Piaggio MP3 250, '08 Piaggio MP3 500, '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Current bikes: Two '09 Genuine Buddy 125's
bluebuddygirl

Post by bluebuddygirl »

http://www.myignorantyouth.blogspot.com/

Please check out this blog. It is written by a local Londoner who is/was living in one of the riot areas. The latest photos are of gathering goods for those that are homeless around Tottenham, and further down she talks about the riots and the very communal/neighborly clean up that happens afterward. It is heartfelt, personal, and uplifting.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Several UK ModernVespa members live in areas where rioting occurred.

As frightening as the video with this scooterist is, there has been a rash of sometimes violent scooter crimes in the US. In the past few weeks, there have been reports of several "booms" in scooter thefts in a number of cities including Philadelphia and Atlanta. This has also included quite a few scooter jackings at knife or gunpoint and at least one shooting (IIRC, in Baltimore).

Lock your scooter up and when riding, especially at night, stay alert and conscious of your surroundings.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Keys

Post by Keys »

Legitimate Mustard wrote:When you complain about the younger generation, please remember who raised them.
There comes a time when a person professing to be an adult needs to quit assessing blame and just accept the responsibility of their own actions.

...and don't try to blame me for the way somebody else's child conducts themself.
"Life without music would Bb"
Mikie M.

Post by Mikie M. »

It could certainly happen here (the US), but discussing such topics would be counter-productive to this forum in general. Enough to say be careful where you ride out there.