Still puts a smile on my face...

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

pairofscoots

Still puts a smile on my face...

Post by pairofscoots »

I still love it when drivers of cars have a look of amazement when my little scoot passes them doing 60mph!
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Never gets old :)

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
Scotty Blackjack

Post by Scotty Blackjack »

Even better when I take them off the line from a stoplight. The Blackjack 150 is a drag race killer. I'm literally through the intersection before they even hit the gas! Just one of the hundreds of reasons why I love to scoot!
Scotty Blackjack
"Floored."
Raiderfn31

Post by Raiderfn31 »

Hell yeah it is fun!!!!!!!!! The downside is that cars dont expect you to go that fast and can cause a wreck, like pulling out in front of you. Ive been lucky twice. :whew:
"When your lawyer looks at you like you deserve whats coming, you may begin to sweat."
Scotty Blackjack

Post by Scotty Blackjack »

For sure. Nothing like the Stebel 139db "Intimidator" Air Horn though, guaranteed to scare the S*** out of anything within a quarter mile! NO close calls when they can hear you loud and clear...

I specifically love to use it when I know a driver is about to pull out into traffic without looking my way... They turn their heads immediately when I honk!
Scotty Blackjack
"Floored."
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Yeah, I've found over the years that snappy off-the-line behavior almost always results in nearby drivers 'needing' to get out ahead of you, regardless of the posted speed limit and conditions, as he/she 'can't' be seen being outrun by a mere scooter.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
TVB

Post by TVB »

Scotty Blackjack wrote:Even better when I take them off the line from a stoplight. The Blackjack 150 is a drag race killer. I'm literally through the intersection before they even hit the gas! Just one of the hundreds of reasons why I love to scoot!
I even get this on my 50! Mostly it's just a matter of people driving cars having longer reaction times. The driver of the car next to me is sitting in their comfy reclining chair listening to music, then they notice that the light has changed, so they pull their foot off the brake, move it over to the accelerator, the transmission engages, and tons of metal are put into motion... by this time my <500lbs of fun is up to 10mph and several car lengths ahead of them.
black sunshine

Post by black sunshine »

TVB wrote:
Scotty Blackjack wrote:Even better when I take them off the line from a stoplight. The Blackjack 150 is a drag race killer. I'm literally through the intersection before they even hit the gas! Just one of the hundreds of reasons why I love to scoot!
I even get this on my 50! Mostly it's just a matter of people driving cars having longer reaction times. The driver of the car next to me is sitting in their comfy reclining chair listening to music, then they notice that the light has changed, so they pull their foot off the brake, move it over to the accelerator, the transmission engages, and tons of metal are put into motion... by this time my <500lbs of fun is up to 10mph and several car lengths ahead of them.
LOL, sometimes i even give them a bit of a head start . . . one of the best times was when i was next to this dude in his Honda S2000 with the top down and his girl next to him. i pulled up, revved my engine a few times . . . he grins, thinking he's gonna impress his girl. NOPE! left them in the DUST! hahaha!!!
Tam Tam

oh yeah...

Post by Tam Tam »

That is the best - I remember being at a stop light when a 94 or 95 4 door Accord pulled up in the lane next to me. It was 2 guys in their early twenties who didn't understand that sound travels, and their comments about 'that gay a** scooter' were being savored as I waited for the light to change. When it did, I shot out and away, the prima exhaust giving them a raspberry. When the reached me at the next red light there was no more comments, but they kept inching up towards the cross walk, kinda revving their engine.
When the light changed, WHAM I shot out again, and could hear their car working to accellerate to keep up. At the 3rd red light, I took a right on red. As I look to the left I paused for a sec to look at the dudes in the Accord as they reached the redlight. Both of them were giving me the stink eye.
Yep, a 'gay a**' scooter had shut them down like a Beach Boys song.

So, I smiled at them and made a right, gunniing the engine for all it was worth...
"When you're racing, that's when you're really alive. Everything else...everything...just becomes waiting to race." - Steve McQueen
sja5164

Post by sja5164 »

My favorite scootering experience was last week. I passed an old lady (the kind that can't see over the steering wheel of her early 90's Buick) going about 50 in a 35. She floored it! Passed me a few hundred yards later.

People can't stand being passed by a scooter!
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

sja5164 wrote:My favorite scootering experience was last week. I passed an old lady (the kind that can't see over the steering wheel of her early 90's Buick) going about 50 in a 35. She floored it! Passed me a few hundred yards later.

People can't stand being passed by a scooter!
The last time 80 year old made a right hand turn into her apartment building in our city a cyclist died. So be careful our there. The older folk are not used to driving with motorcycles scooters and bicycles around them. If there were not used to it for the first 40 years that they've been behind the wheel they are not likely to think we are out there when they are in their 80's. Not knocking down older people, just stating the facts about being conditioned to do things certain way for many years
I am not a scooter snob.
I am a scooter connoisseur
TVB

Post by TVB »

Stormswift wrote:The last time 80 year old made a right hand turn into her apartment building in our city a cyclist died. So be careful our there. The older folk are not used to driving with motorcycles scooters and bicycles around them. If there were not used to it for the first 40 years that they've been behind the wheel they are not likely to think we are out there when they are in their 80's. Not knocking down older people, just stating the facts about being conditioned to do things certain way for many years
I do tech support work for several senior healthcare and residential facilities, and based on my experience approaching and leaving them (and a recent incident at one of them with a happy ending), I support this point. Be extra careful with older drivers; while they may have more driving experience, they may be declining in perception and reflexes. "I didn't even see you" is all the more likely to be true.
ScooterTrash

Re: Still puts a smile on my face...

Post by ScooterTrash »

pairofscoots wrote:I still love it when drivers of cars have a look of amazement when my little scoot passes them doing 60mph!
You should see the look when they're going 75 :twisted:
ScooterTrash

Post by ScooterTrash »

TVB wrote:Be extra careful with older drivers; while they may have more driving experience, they may be declining in perception and reflexes. "I didn't even see you" is all the more likely to be true.
haha, I had an old lady pull out in front of me once

I was in a bumper to bumper line of 10 cars on a 25mph road, I was the only one driving a bright red Toyota Supra and she "didn't see me"