Not sure my dealership understands scooters.

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

izark47

Not sure my dealership understands scooters.

Post by izark47 »

The Honda dealership in my town recently started handling Genuine Scooters. One day I went in and fell in love with MzStella and the rest is history. However, I was shocked at the quote i got for the 2500 service. the estimate was $325.00. After riding home fortunately it took 20 mins and gave me an idea and i called the shop in Carlisle, and he has been a Genuine dealer for a while now, and he gave me a much more reasonable price of roughly $90.00. It might be a good idea for Genuine to try and get a better standardization of charges as a hint to the dealers that they are supposed to be economical.

Needless to say I found a new shop.
Mikie M.

Post by Mikie M. »

The sad truth, izark, is neither the Honda dealership nor Genuine scooter really cares that much.
The dealership had an oppurtunity to add a small line of scooters to it's lineup, probabably at little or no cost. If it doesn't work for them, which it certainly may not, they can easily dump the scooters, no harm no foul. They have only one real concern and that is selling and servicing Hondas.
As for Genuine, job number one is to sell their scooters, and in this economy it's any port in a storm.
bluebuddygirl

Post by bluebuddygirl »

Before assuming that those estimates are that far apart in price but that they both do the same thing, you should speak to each dealership and ask what they do for that specific service. Most shop rates are similar, especially in a central area, Ohio is not that different from PA and the rates around here are about $70 an hour give or take, or $35 per half hour.

The first quote does seem high, but they may for example replace parts at that service that the other dealer doesn't. Just a thought.
izark47

Post by izark47 »

bluebuddygirl wrote:Before assuming that those estimates are that far apart in price but that they both do the same thing, you should speak to each dealership and ask what they do for that specific service. Most shop rates are similar, especially in a central area, Ohio is not that different from PA and the rates around here are about $70 an hour give or take, or $35 per half hour.

The first quote does seem high, but they may for example replace parts at that service that the other dealer doesn't. Just a thought.
Those are very good points. I did talk to both shops, The local honda dealer did say they had never done one, The parts necessary is 8.9 ounces of gear oil and a spark plug, so should not be a major difference there. The dealer that i chose has been a genuine dealer for a while, so i feel more comfortable with him, and i was not willing to pay such a generous price for their training on my bike at the other shop.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

So your local Honda dealer doesn't carry Honda scooters? That seems odd because along with Yamaha scooters, my local dealer carries about three different models of Honda scooters. Maybe San Francisco is just more scooter centric than other places.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

Mikie M. wrote:Neither the Honda dealership nor Genuine scooter really cares that much.
Unless you're speaking from experience with both these specific dealers, that seems like a totally unfounded conclusion. I know many dealers (scooters and/or motorcycles) that care deeply, and I know many others that just wanna make a quick buck, but I'd never assume they're all one or the other.

Mikie M. wrote:As for Genuine, job number one is to sell their scooters, and in this economy it's any port in a storm.
Any motorcycle or scooter dealer's profit from bike sales is far less than you'd expect. Scooters, particularly, have very little profit margin for a dealer.

A Genuine dealer isn't "Genuine," they're an independent dealer. Their job is to make money, like any business, but to make money as a scooter dealer, you need to sell scooters, sell parts and accessories, and sell service, they all go together, and you need your customers to keep coming back for service (and P&A). If you're not focused on anything but selling bikes, you won't last six months in the powersports industry.

Bryan
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
Keys

Post by Keys »

Bryan is right. I used to work part-time for a scooter dealer in Sedona and the profit margin for sales was minimal. I remember him sometimes making less than a hundred bucks for the sales of a Genuine or Vespa (Vespa was the worst). His income was generated by sales of accessories and service. He essentially got squat for the actual sale of a scooter.

--Keys
"Life without music would Bb"
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

Also, there is no 2500 mile (or km) service.

viewtopic.php?p=151886#151886

If you're talking about the first service, it's supposed to be 300km or about 200 miles. The next service is 3000km or about 2000 miles.

I believe Genuine suggests re-adjusting the valves at the first service after break-in, so that first one would be a bit more expensive.

As suggested, one dealer may change oil and plug, the other may check your belt and blow out belt dust, do an electrical check, check nuts and bolts, change your oil filter, change or clean your air filter… there's a lot of things that should be done at the intervals specified in that chart, most aren't terribly expensive, parts wise, but the mechanic's time can add up. Still, the Honda dealer's rate seems pretty insane by any standard unless they're de-coking your piston and replacing tires and the battery or something.
izark47

Post by izark47 »

illnoise wrote:Also, there is no 2500 mile (or km) service.

viewtopic.php?p=151886#151886

If you're talking about the first service, it's supposed to be 300km or about 200 miles. The next service is 3000km or about 2000 miles.

I believe Genuine suggests re-adjusting the valves at the first service after break-in, so that first one would be a bit more expensive.

As suggested, one dealer may change oil and plug, the other may check your belt and blow out belt dust, do an electrical check, check nuts and bolts, change your oil filter, change or clean your air filter… there's a lot of things that should be done at the intervals specified in that chart, most aren't terribly expensive, parts wise, but the mechanic's time can add up. Still, the Honda dealer's rate seems pretty insane by any standard unless they're de-coking your piston and replacing tires and the battery or something.
Stella 2t according to Genuine, has a service every 2500 miles. I did my own 200 mile service. My dealer did not want to do it. Stella 2t have reed valves, so nothing to adjust. Basically it is change the gear oil and clean the air filter and adjust cables. rotate tires and change the spark plug.

the honda dealer does sell honda scooters, however this is not the same type of vehicle that you hook up to a computer and diagnose that the sensor for the fuel is 2% off per the specifications. This is a bike that has like 3 different systems and is done by feel from having the experience of working on mechanical engines for years. De-coking is every 5k. Hell i will be doing all this stuff after the warranty is off. I just don't understand Why they have to use the Honda service pricing model. It seems to me that The shop that charges less understands why I got a scooter in the first place. Economical transportation.
Mikie M.

Post by Mikie M. »

[quote="illnoise"][quote="Mikie M."]Neither the Honda dealership nor Genuine scooter really cares that much. [/quote]

Unless you're speaking from experience with both these specific dealers, that seems like a totally unfounded conclusion. I know many dealers (scooters and/or motorcycles) that care deeply, and I know many others that just wanna make a quick buck, but I'd never assume they're all one or the other.

[quote="Mikie M."]As for Genuine, job number one is to sell their scooters, and in this economy it's any port in a storm.[/quote]

Any motorcycle or scooter dealer's profit from bike sales is far less than you'd expect. Scooters, particularly, have very little profit margin for a dealer.

A Genuine dealer isn't "Genuine," they're an independent dealer. Their job is to make money, like any business, but to make money as a scooter dealer, you need to sell scooters, sell parts and accessories, and sell service, they all go together, and you need your customers to keep coming back for service (and P&A). If you're not focused on anything but selling bikes, you won't last six months in the powersports industry.

Bryan[/quote]

Both these dealers are one and the same. It's a Honda dealer selling Genuine (PGO) scooters on the side. It is quite evident that this dealer doesn't give a hoot in hell about it's Genuine scooter customers by quoting such a ridiculously high figure for service.
You're preaching to the choir on this one. My guess is the Honda guy will sell as many Genuine scooter as he can, stick it to as many customers as he can for service, and if it dies on the vine so be it. He'll be out little, or nothing. After all, he's a Honda dealer.
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

izark47 wrote:Stella 2t according to Genuine, has a service every 2500 miles.
Duh, my bad, thought you were talking about a Buddy. Yes, Stella service is maybe more stuff to check, but easier to actually perform than a Buddy, $350 is outrageous.

Bb.
izark47

Post by izark47 »

MzStella went in for her first checkup and passed with flying colors. As always she rewards me with a wonderful ride home. it is nice days like today that makes me glad I have a 25 mile commute.

Thank you Cumberland Cycle Center. Did a great job and She is a happy young lady, and the price was very reasonable.