Guns N Scooters

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

sja5164

Guns N Scooters

Post by sja5164 »

Alright folks, without getting political or starting something here:

For those of you scooterists that also carry a weapon, how do you carry? I.E. where on your scooter or person?

Also, just for the curious among us (like me), what do you carry?

Don't want to cause a problem, just looking to see how some others handle things.
flatblackbuddy

Post by flatblackbuddy »

Without a CCW, I would think that it would be illegal to carry regardless of whether it's on your person or on the scooter. That's assuming you're not open carrying, which may cause a panic and get you hit by a cage.
Dress for the crash, not for the ride

irishtim

Post by irishtim »

Usually carry Ruger LCP .380 but sometimes SA XD 9mm. Usually on me.
OH,PA,IN,WV,KY,TN,WI,MI,SC,ON,BDA
Raiderfn31

Post by Raiderfn31 »

flatblackbuddy wrote:Without a CCW, I would think that it would be illegal to carry regardless of whether it's on your person or on the scooter. That's assuming you're not open carrying, which may cause a panic and get you hit by a cage.
You could wear it on your hip, visible, legally in my state. No permit needed. If you put it in the pet taxi, thats concealed. maybe even in the front carry all. Thats illegal. I like guns, have guns, but Im not afraid enough to carry a piece. Besides, stats have PROVEN carry a gun makes you less safe by a mile. They usually end up shooting you or a loved one. That a fact. And most people i know with guns have no business with them. I grew up in a guns household, father a gunsmith. But I dont own guns now. JUST MY OPINION.
"When your lawyer looks at you like you deserve whats coming, you may begin to sweat."
flatblackbuddy

Post by flatblackbuddy »

irishtim wrote:Usually carry Ruger LCP .380 but sometimes SA XD 9mm. Usually on me.
NBR - How do you like that Ruger .380? Maybe you have smaller hands than me, but I had trouble getting a decent grip on it. Also, does it have the laser and is it on the grip? I've test fired that thing a couple of times but trying to use the laser on the grip really hindered the accuracy.

flatblackbuddy

Post by flatblackbuddy »

Raiderfn31 wrote:
flatblackbuddy wrote:Without a CCW, I would think that it would be illegal to carry regardless of whether it's on your person or on the scooter. That's assuming you're not open carrying, which may cause a panic and get you hit by a cage.
You could wear it on your hip, visible, legally in my state. No permit needed. If you put it in the pet taxi, thats concealed. maybe even in the front carry all. Thats illegal. I like guns, have guns, but Im not afraid enough to carry a piece. Besides, stats have PROVEN carry a gun makes you less safe by a mile. They usually end up shooting you or a loved one. That a fact. And most people i know with guns have no business with them. I grew up in a guns household, father a gunsmith. But I dont own guns now. JUST MY OPINION.
Agree that you could wear it on your hip, but I think most people would get a little nervous if they saw you like that - tend to drive a little crazy / cause an accident.

irishtim

Post by irishtim »

It's not my favorite at the range but it sure nice for carry. It does come with a lip extender for the handgrip which does help some. Still it's better with me than my .45 left at home!
sja5164

Post by sja5164 »

Should have specified. Carrying LEGALLY is important. I do have mine.

Personally, I carry in the pet carrier and try to keep it hidden while transferring to my pocket. Beretta 96A1.

illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

I hardly ever honked at anyone until I got a really loud horn, then I'd find myself hoping someone would cut me off so I could honk at them.

Bb.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
Keys

Post by Keys »

I simply hang it over the handlebars...

--Keys
"Life without music would Bb"
Raiderfn31

Post by Raiderfn31 »

sja5164 wrote:Should have specified. Carrying LEGALLY is important. I do have mine.

Personally, I carry in the pet carrier and try to keep it hidden while transferring to my pocket. Beretta 96A1.

Isnt that concealed? Guess you have a concealment permit. Im still not sure what this point is. Scootjacking? Let him take it, not worth human life. Now if he pulls on your first blast him. ARE PEOPLE REALLY THIS SCARED?????? Its your right. but If its in the pet taxi, how in the F is that going to do you good in a quick robbery. I say learn self defense. My father was killed in his car with a loaded glock on the dashboard of his ar. Never got to it, and this man was GOOD with guns. Yeah thats a bad call at 4am in morning. "Your father has been shot and killed." I will carry a piece MAYBE on my hip. Little Walther 380. I say be cautious of your surroundings, Im not anti gun, there are just SO many things that can go wrong, Usually better give it up. unless your a skilled and can get a jump. I like this thread!
"When your lawyer looks at you like you deserve whats coming, you may begin to sweat."
Raiderfn31

Post by Raiderfn31 »

flatblackbuddy wrote:
Raiderfn31 wrote:
Agree that you could wear it on your hip, but I think most people would get a little nervous if they saw you like that - tend to drive a little crazy / cause an accident.
They would probably think you are police of some sort. Be friendly and wave with a smile.
jasondavis48108

Post by jasondavis48108 »

In Michigan you can either open carry or get a permit to conceal. I wouldn't carry on my scooter personally because I couldn't get my gloves off and get the gun out fast enough to do any good. Seems far more likely I'd get the gun taken from me while wrestling with my gear and then I'd be screwed. Have thought about getting a permit to carry for hiking though, especially now that they have found wild pigs in my county. :shock:
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
TVB

Post by TVB »

Raiderfn31 wrote:JUST MY OPINION.
I have an opinion too. But I think the fewer comments we have about whether to carry a gun (as opposed to the question posed: how to carry a gun) the more productive this thread will be.
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

If you must pack I can't see pet carrier as a good place. Too close to gas tank and how hot is too hot for a gun? Crazy things can happen in an accident and amo can blow up. If you are allowed to carry in plain site or concealed there are may holsters that can do the job
I am not a scooter snob.
I am a scooter connoisseur
irishtim

Post by irishtim »

A pocket holster in my riding jacket pocket works well for me. Even though open carry is legal in Ohio I'd rather carry concealed (and do have a CCW permit as do most of my family).
TVB

Post by TVB »

jasondavis48108 wrote:....now that they have found wild pigs in my county. :shock:
I think this week's visit to Washtenaw County will now be my last. :)
TVB

Post by TVB »

Stormswift wrote:If you must pack I can't see pet carrier as a good place. Too close to gas tank and how hot is too hot for a gun? Crazy things can happen in an accident and amo can blow up.
Hollywood has greatly exaggerated those dangers for dramatic effect.
Syd

Post by Syd »

jasondavis48108 wrote:In Michigan you can either open carry or get a permit to conceal. I wouldn't carry on my scooter personally because I couldn't get my gloves off and get the gun out fast enough to do any good. Seems far more likely I'd get the gun taken from me while wrestling with my gear and then I'd be screwed. Have thought about getting a permit to carry for hiking though, especially now that they have found wild pigs in my county. :shock:
Wild, formerly farm-type pigs? Or something like the rodents on steroids that we call javelina out in the west?
The majority is always sane - Nessus
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

Raiderfn31 wrote:
sja5164 wrote:Should have specified. Carrying LEGALLY is important. I do have mine.

Isnt that concealed? Guess you have a concealment permit. Im still not sure what this point is. Scootjacking? Let him take it, not worth human life. Now if he pulls on your first blast him. ARE PEOPLE REALLY THIS SCARED?????? Its your right. but If its in the pet taxi, how in the F is that going to do you good in a quick robbery. I say learn self defense. My father was killed in his car with a loaded glock on the dashboard of his ar. Never got to it, and this man was GOOD with guns. Yeah thats a bad call at 4am in morning. "Your father has been shot and killed." I will carry a piece MAYBE on my hip. Little Walther 380. I say be cautious of your surroundings, Im not anti gun, there are just SO many things that can go wrong, Usually better give it up. unless your a skilled and can get a jump. I like this thread!
Actually, if it's in the Pet Carrier (at least by Arizona and a few other state laws) it is not considered concealed because it takes more than 3 actions to access the weapon. And, since the pet carrier is a locked compartment, it's considered stored for transport since you cannot access the cargo area while driving.

I simply have a CCW Permit (which is optional in AZ, not required) and a Taurus Millennium Pro M111 which fits fine just about anywhere. No need for anything else if I do feel the need to carry, which is rare these days now that I don't drive a cab. When going to the range it's a different matter: Full lock cases for everything just to be secure since it is on the bike, and attach them securely to the racks.
"Earth" without Art is just "Eh"...

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
sja5164

Post by sja5164 »

Stormswift wrote:If you must pack I can't see pet carrier as a good place. Too close to gas tank and how hot is too hot for a gun? Crazy things can happen in an accident and amo can blow up. If you are allowed to carry in plain site or concealed there are may holsters that can do the job
Good point, but the pet carrier better not be getting that hot. Gun powder doesn't combust til about 300 - 350 degrees. At that point, accidental discharge of your weapon is the smallest concern.

I'd love to carry in a holster, but in tighter riding jackets and such, it's difficult to conceal. I'm more concerned about safe transport than being able to draw mid-scoot.
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

sja5164 wrote:
Stormswift wrote:If you must pack I can't see pet carrier as a good place. Too close to gas tank and how hot is too hot for a gun? Crazy things can happen in an accident and amo can blow up. If you are allowed to carry in plain site or concealed there are may holsters that can do the job
Good point, but the pet carrier better not be getting that hot. Gun powder doesn't combust til about 300 - 350 degrees. At that point, accidental discharge of your weapon is the smallest concern.

I'd love to carry in a holster, but in tighter riding jackets and such, it's difficult to conceal. I'm more concerned about safe transport than being able to draw mid-scoot.
Actually, ammo can't just "blow up". It takes quite alot of heat and even more pressure to actually ignite powder or cordite. And, even "accidental" discharge is nearly 99.9% user error. Today's propellant and firearms are quite stable . You pretty much have to stick it in an oven and have a very hard object strike ANOTHER ignition source to get an "accidental" discharge. Dropping it on the ground or the heat of an engine won't do anything.

But, like with many things mechanical or chemical, there is very little education and what most people know is what they see in movies and off the internet. It's the same thing when people think that a single lit match will set an entire gas station alight, when half the time a lit match will extinguish if dropped into a vat of fuel.

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

If you are looking for secure on-bike transport (such as to the range) for a motorscooter, Plano has some great options like this one http://www.opticsplanet.net/plano-mould ... 76061.html

This can be secured to the front or rear rack and locked. Then, it just looks like any other average tool box. Weather proof, secure and tons of protection from impact and the elements. And, pretty cheap at under $30 bucks! I have some of their carbine cases and they have been excellent. Far more durable than the "tactical" cases sold by shops for three times more.

Mulliganal

Post by Mulliganal »

CCW here + Sig 228. Have not had a chance to carry on my Stella but it does have a nice size glove box.
".....Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us......"
jasondavis48108

Syd wrote:
jasondavis48108 wrote:In Michigan you can either open carry or get a permit to conceal. I wouldn't carry on my scooter personally because I couldn't get my gloves off and get the gun out fast enough to do any good. Seems far more likely I'd get the gun taken from me while wrestling with my gear and then I'd be screwed. Have thought about getting a permit to carry for hiking though, especially now that they have found wild pigs in my county. :shock:
Wild, formerly farm-type pigs? Or something like the rodents on steroids that we call javelina out in the west?
They were some type of wild pig/boar that some folks imported for hunting ranges. The ranges closed down and somehow the pigs got into the wild (if you can call county farm park wild) . I don't think they are the monster sized boar that the folks down south get but we've been warned that they are aggressive. I havn't seen one yet and since they have said that folks can shoot them on site I doubt they will last very long around here. Apparently they do extensive damage to the environment.
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

neotrotsky wrote:
sja5164 wrote:

Actually, ammo can't just "blow up". It takes quite alot of heat and even more pressure to actually ignite powder or cordite. And, even "accidental" discharge is nearly 99.9% user error. Today's propellant and firearms are quite stable . You pretty much have to stick it in an oven and have a very hard object strike ANOTHER ignition source to get an "accidental" discharge. Dropping it on the ground or the heat of an engine won't do anything.

But, like with many things mechanical or chemical, there is very little education and what most people know is what they see in movies and off the internet. It's the same thing when people think that a single lit match will set an entire gas station alight, when half the time a lit match will extinguish if dropped into a vat of fuel.
In my almost 50 years of life I learned that it is the impossible and the improbable and the "never can happen" things that actually do happen. ...
I am not a scooter snob.
I am a scooter connoisseur
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

IF I chose to carry one, I would do the following:

1. Get a concealed carry permit.

2. Carry a large pistol in plain sight (if legal) on my hip. Make sure it was NOT loaded.

3. Carry a small pistol in a pocket holster (or similar setup) where I could access it quickly (probably while the scoot-jacker was pointing the large, unloaded pistol he grabbed off my hip at me).

The best option is not necessarily to carry a weapon; the best option is to have a plan for any possible problem. Since firearms can create their own problems, plan ahead. Just my thoughts.
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).
Quo Vadimus

Post by Quo Vadimus »

jasondavis48108 wrote:
Syd wrote:(if you can call county farm park wild)
WHAAAAA? This is where I live! I took my small, delicate flower of a dog there last week and haven't heard about this. Shoo. Gonna have to start open carrying the machete...
gunsntexas

Post by gunsntexas »

Various Berettas or my wife's Taurus Millenium Pro 111. The pocket pistols in a deep tuckable inside the waist band or... In the pocket of my jacket. I have a CHL if I didn't in your vehicle is still your "castle" in Texas, if I am correct. There is still lots of misinformation about the "two county" rule which never really existed. The Beretta pocket pistols conceal nicely. My big guy, 92FS (military M9) doesn't so well. At least not wearing on a scooter. Have not figured out how to conceal my AR or shotgun on scoot yet ;) I used to carry a Kimber ultra carry in 45. Highly concealable, very flat. High stopping power, low capacity. That would prob be a nice scoot carry, but very pricey.

Legal open carry would solve all my issues.
No, my scooter isn't Italian, but my Beretta is...
gunsntexas

Post by gunsntexas »

Keys wrote:I simply hang it over the handlebars...

--Keys
Keys that is awesome. Unlimited ammo, plenty of rocks. Good thinking. You sir, are indeed ready for the zombie apocalypse...
No, my scooter isn't Italian, but my Beretta is...
bigbropgo

Post by bigbropgo »

I'm a lefty. Glock 27 cross draw style. (On the right) Don't feel I need to carry all the time. Not even most of the time. Also not something I advertise to those around me. Have my CCW but in Utah you could have a gun in the pet carrier. Clip out and unloaded.
no i don't ride a scooter, i am a scooter pilot!
VICTUS MORTUUS VENATOR
jasondavis48108

Quo Vadimus wrote:
jasondavis48108 wrote:
Syd wrote:(if you can call county farm park wild)
WHAAAAA? This is where I live! I took my small, delicate flower of a dog there last week and haven't heard about this. Shoo. Gonna have to start open carrying the machete...
Yup, My wife said she was informed about it through a 4H flyer. They're here alright but my guess is that their numbers can't be all that great as I do a lot of walking in our local parks and I've yet to see or even hear one.
beastmaster

Post by beastmaster »

thats how i roll
Attachments
0000_Mad_Dog_Handgun_Mount_--.jpg
0000_Mad_Dog_Handgun_Mount_--.jpg (16.5 KiB) Viewed 3098 times
deadpool.jpg
deadpool.jpg (8.81 KiB) Viewed 3098 times
honda.jpg
honda.jpg (7.85 KiB) Viewed 3098 times
But he was pierced for our transgressions,
he was crushed for our iniquities;
beastmaster

Post by beastmaster »

here in texas cops will pull you over if you DONT have a gun on your hip and beer in your hand, live and let live
But he was pierced for our transgressions,
he was crushed for our iniquities;
jasondavis48108

beastmaster wrote:here in texas cops will pull you over if you DONT have a gun on your hip and beer in your hand, live and let live
:lol: Can it be a non-alcoholic beer :)

I've actually been trying to figure out how to conceal a can of bear mace on my scooter. Maybe make it look like a big cup O' Joe or something. Figure that way I wouldn't have to worry too much about my aim :lol:
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

CCP here.
Depending on how I'm dressed, I'll wear my weapon, Walther PPK
(I actually have two, one my father brought home from Europe after WWII and a 'newer' one) in either a shoulder holster, on my ankle, or on my belt (cross draw) I'm right handed.
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

Stormswift wrote:
neotrotsky wrote:
sja5164 wrote: Good point, but the pet carrier better not be getting that hot. Gun powder doesn't combust til about 300 - 350 degrees. At that point, accidental discharge of your weapon is the smallest concern.

In my almost 50 years of life I learned that it is the impossible and the improbable and the "never can happen" things that actually do happen. ...
Never said they were impossible or improbable things. But, those who like to generate fear about a subject will blow any minute risk WAY out of proportion. It's alot like when you mention a motorcycle someone always has a story about a friend/family member/cousin/roommate who got decapitated/dismembered/run over by a triple trailer 18 wheeler on a bike and that's what will happen to you if you get on two wheels.

Anything is possible, but out of all the things I have to be worried about, I am more concerned by the cans of spray paint in my shop than the ammo I have.

Mulliganal

Post by Mulliganal »

KABarash wrote:CCP here.
Depending on how I'm dressed, I'll wear my weapon, Walther PPK
(I actually have two, one my father brought home from Europe after WWII and a 'newer' one) in either a shoulder holster, on my ankle, or on my belt (cross draw) I'm right handed.
Man, one of the worse move I ever made was selling my older (not as old as your dad's) beautiful condition Walther PPKS many years ago; what a great little gun that was. If it's good enough for 007 it must be okay.
".....Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us......"
Mulliganal

Post by Mulliganal »

Darn, this was a really cool thread until all the negative OPINIONS started to jump in.
Raiderfn31

Post by Raiderfn31 »

A good hip holster with a 380 of good quaility is MONEY.
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

Mulliganal wrote:Darn, this was a really cool thread until all the negative OPINIONS started to jump in.
by 'negative' you mean 'different than yours?'
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
Raiderfn31

Post by Raiderfn31 »

neotrotsky wrote:
Raiderfn31 wrote:

Actually, if it's in the Pet Carrier (at least by Arizona and a few other state laws) it is not considered concealed because it takes more than 3 actions to access the weapon. And, since the pet carrier is a locked compartment, it's considered stored for transport since you cannot access the cargo area while driving.

I simply have a CCW Permit (which is optional in AZ, not required) and a Taurus Millennium Pro M111 which fits fine just about anywhere. No need for anything else if I do feel the need to carry, which is rare these days now that I don't drive a cab. When going to the range it's a different matter: Full lock cases for everything just to be secure since it is on the bike, and attach them securely to the racks.

What good is a gun when you have to assemble it :idea:
Keys

Post by Keys »

As a member of law enforcement, we get a lot of bulletins in our emails and one of 'em recommended carrying wasp spray. It's cheap, is just as effective as mace or pepper spray and requires the services of a doctor. It also sprays a stream about 15 feet which is more than either mace or pepper spra unless you spend the big bucks for the professional stuff. Don't need a CCW and you can simply stuff it in your sweet little dash-carrier thingy on the Buddys.

Still like my wrist rocket, though...

--Keys
"Life without music would Bb"
Tenchi

East German 9x18 Makarov

Post by Tenchi »

Light, well made, but I don't carry it on my scoot. As for the temperatures in the pet carrier, nothing is going to go off prematurely. Ask the grunts in the deserts in the mid-east. :o
Raiderfn31

Post by Raiderfn31 »

Keys wrote:As a member of law enforcement, we get a lot of bulletins in our emails and one of 'em recommended carrying wasp spray. It's cheap, is just as effective as mace or pepper spray and requires the services of a doctor. It also sprays a stream about 15 feet which is more than either mace or pepper spra unless you spend the big bucks for the professional stuff. Don't need a CCW and you can simply stuff it in your sweet little dash-carrier thingy on the Buddys.

--Keys
BEAR SPRAY ---its effective
Phil P

Post by Phil P »

I carry my 44 Charter Arms Bulldog in the glove tray covered by a rag.
on my Buddy.
Mulliganal

Post by Mulliganal »

Raiderfn31 wrote:
Keys wrote:As a member of law enforcement, we get a lot of bulletins in our emails and one of 'em recommended carrying wasp spray. It's cheap, is just as effective as mace or pepper spray and requires the services of a doctor. It also sprays a stream about 15 feet which is more than either mace or pepper spra unless you spend the big bucks for the professional stuff. Don't need a CCW and you can simply stuff it in your sweet little dash-carrier thingy on the Buddys.

--Keys
BEAR SPRAY ---its effective
I was going to get a Kimber Pepper Blaster II Spray Gun for cycling but they are kinda' expensive.
TVB

Post by TVB »

Stormswift wrote:In my almost 50 years of life I learned that it is the impossible and the improbable and the "never can happen" things that actually do happen. ...
But if they happen, they still do so within the laws of physics. :)
I find it better to spend my time worrying about the bad things that are likely to happen, because they happen the most.
TVB

Post by TVB »

illnoise wrote:
Mulliganal wrote:Darn, this was a really cool thread until all the negative OPINIONS started to jump in.
by 'negative' you mean 'different than yours?'
No, the opinions that are in violation of the community guidelines, by debating politics.
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

Guns are a hot-button issue. If you have a problem discussing this in a respectful manner, then step away from the computer. If you have a problem with somebody on this forum, then step away from the computer. Posting deliberately provocative comments is called flaming. Baiting members by goading them into fights is called trolling. If you feel the need to report this thread several times over a 20 minute period, please, STEP AWAY FROM THE COMPUTER.
ModBud #442