Modern Vespa price... What do you think about it.

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

supermach

Modern Vespa price... What do you think about it.

Post by supermach »

Now I this whated to talk about this because I what to see what people that own scooters would say about this. Now I maybe like all of use I would like to get a Vespa GTS300 or a Vespa GTV300 but the price is CRAZY, and were I live it's VERY hard to find a used one. Like if I saved alittle I know that I can get one but I would be thinking about all that money for a LONG TIME. Now what do you guys think about the price for the modern Vespa?

This so you know I have a Buddy 125 and a stella 4t. I love them both but I this whated to ask this.
pcbikedude

Post by pcbikedude »

There's really nothing on the market from any other scooter manufacturer that comes close to the Vespa GTS or GTV 300. Sexy scooter in a small frame. I test rode at GTS300 and it is insanely quick.

The only "Gotcha" you have to look for, they are known to have bad fuel pumps.
The scenery only changes for the lead scooterist.
jasondavis48108

Post by jasondavis48108 »

Price really isn't bad if you can ride year round. Even if you can't the way I figure it is that there are many motorbikes that cost significantly more and don't have anywhere near the style of the GTS. I'm sure you pay a bit of a premium since it's a Vespa, similar to the Harley premium, but hey that's the price of riding pure sex appeal :lol:
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

I think some of it is premium (which is maybe well-deserved, considering its legacy), but you're also getting a metal body, and dealing with a product that, even though PiaggioUSA is clueless, is sold all over the world by a reasonably strong company (by Italian standards, anyway). So you know parts and accessories will always be available SOMEWHERE, and the base of shared knowledge about them will be more than any other scooters.

Parts for just about any Vespa manufactured since the late 50s are readily available worldwide, and they're not even expensive when compared to other motorcycles. The only stuff that's impossible to find is the stuff the DOT made them switch out for US models. You can find paint codes, service manuals, anything you need. With all the Vespa nerds out there, you can be sure that sort of documentation will continue.

Plus, don't underestimate resale value, you can't sell it for what you paid for it (like a lot of people on Craigslist seem to try to do) but resale value is better than pretty much any other scooter.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
killbilly

Post by killbilly »

I gotta admit - I was really impressed with the one Vespa I rode. They're really solidly built machines, in my opinion. I think they're worth what Vespa asks for them.
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

illnoise wrote:I think some of it is premium (which is maybe well-deserved, considering its legacy), but you're also getting a metal body, and dealing with a product that, even though PiaggioUSA is clueless, is sold all over the world by a reasonably strong company (by Italian standards, anyway). So you know parts and accessories will always be available SOMEWHERE, and the base of shared knowledge about them will be more than any other scooters.

Parts for just about any Vespa manufactured since the late 50s are readily available worldwide, and they're not even expensive when compared to other motorcycles. The only stuff that's impossible to find is the stuff the DOT made them switch out for US models. You can find paint codes, service manuals, anything you need. With all the Vespa nerds out there, you can be sure that sort of documentation will continue.

Plus, don't underestimate resale value, you can't sell it for what you paid for it (like a lot of people on Craigslist seem to try to do) but resale value is better than pretty much any other scooter.
Vintage Vespa parts may not be expensive, but good luck trying to get reasonable prices on anything on a GTS!!! Also, expect anywhere from a week to SIX MONTHS of delay in getting any part. I had a GTS250ie, and it was a fabulous machine that was well built. But, when it broke down you were up a creek, and Piaggio USA treats their customers worse than Sony treats Playstation owners.
"Earth" without Art is just "Eh"...

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

Yep, like I said, vespa USA is clueless, but in the long run, it won't matter, it's already easier and cheaper to order from Europe.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
T'Pring

Post by T'Pring »

Scooter rich and cash poor -- just make sure you have a sizable sum of cash set aside.
If you choose not to decide -- you still have made a choice.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

If you have your heart set on a GTS - and I can easily see that - why not consider a GTS 250. New ones and low mileage used ones are selling all over at very attractive prices. The difference between riding the 250 and the 300 isn't really very dramatic in any case. My dealer has new old stock '08 and '09 GTS that he is selling for $2000 below MSRP. These low prices on new 250s have also really pushed down the price on used bikes. Then there is the GT200. A nice used one can easily be had for $3000. So, if a large frame modern Vespa is what you want - go get one!
Last edited by Dooglas on Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tazio

Post by Tazio »

I love my GTS 250. I saved $500 because it was the previous years model, but that's the dealer's option. I bought the Vespa because I always wanted one and for me the price wasn't a factor. If you just want a scooter or are trying to save money, buy used and/or plastic. I love my Buddy also.
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

I'd jump at a GTS 300 if I could afford one right now (ever since Genuine dropped the 300cc idea). I love the "classic" looking scooters (my dealer wants me to get a bigger scooter since I ride across country but I don't like a "sci-fi" look so the Vespa is the only one I'd consider).

How is it on gas mileage? Dependability?

It sounds like parts are difficult to get but are they as solid as the Buddy (or close; nothing's as solid as a Buddy)? Is the 300 really that much better than the GTS250? Oddly enough, they both seem to cost roughly the same amount!
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).
desmolicious

Post by desmolicious »

pcbikedude wrote:
There recently has been a recall of sorts for the fuel pumps, with upgraded units replacing the previous version. So this point now is moot.
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

desmolicious wrote:
pcbikedude wrote:
There recently has been a recall of sorts for the fuel pumps, with upgraded units replacing the previous version. So this point now is moot.
That's not the only issue Vespa has had. On their GTS250's they had weak exhaust couplers that would burn out causing all sorts of interesting issues with the engine. I know: Mine did (I didn't hear about the recall since Vespa is oh-so good about technical support for their bikes as we know...) and caused some major damage. The repairs were more than the warranty company (a 3rd party group since I bought the bike used) were interested in paying, so they refused the repair payment. Ended up losing the bike over it. Piaggio's statement was that since I wasn't the original owner (even if the bike only had 500 miles when I bought it) that I wasn't entitled to any coverage at all, even when the failure was directly attributed to a recalled part. Ever since then I've held a VERY negative opinion of Piaggio USA and the fact that they really couldn't care less about the US market or it's customers. They simply don't make enough money here for them to think it's worth their while.

Hence why I'm spending my cash on a Genuine scooter, even when I've loved Vespas for nearly a decade. Vintage Vespa bikes are great! And, the modern bikes *could* be great... Piaggio ruins the rest of it.
Last edited by neotrotsky on Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

There are great deals on GTS 250s (now discontinued) at a lot of dealers if there are any left.

As far as the price/value of a Vespa, well, it is what it is. No one can tell you if it's "worth" it; that's up to the individual. They're good scooters. Like any vehicle they've had their issues, but overall the build quality and fit and finish are unparalleled. There are plenty of valid complaints about the company but the product is top notch.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

pugbuddy wrote:It sounds like parts are difficult to get but are they as solid as the Buddy (or close; nothing's as solid as a Buddy)? Is the 300 really that much better than the GTS250? Oddly enough, they both seem to cost roughly the same amount!
Design and build quality on the GTS Vespa is excellent IMO. Parts supply on Vespas is not particularly difficult, as scooters go :wink: , but parts prices are certainly higher than for the Buddy. My GTS has been a very reliable ride and gets about 70 mpg. The 300 replaced the 250 without a significant increase in price. The 250s - new and used - are now available at very attractive prices as a result. Sort of like what the 170i did to prices of the 150s - except that the 250 Vespa is also fuel injected and liquid cooled.
Last edited by Dooglas on Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

ericalm wrote:There are great deals on GTS 250s (now discontinued) at a lot of dealers if there are any left.

As far as the price/value of a Vespa, well, it is what it is. No one can tell you if it's "worth" it; that's up to the individual. They're good scooters. Like any vehicle they've had their issues, but overall the build quality and fit and finish are unparalleled. There are plenty of valid complaints about the company but the product is top notch.
Their bikes are great! This I can attest to. I don't want anyone thinking I'm hating on Vespa as a motorbike. That's hard to do after you have ridden one. My issue is with Piaggio and not the bikes themselves.

supermach

Post by supermach »

Thank you everyone it is something for me to think about but I this whated to see what other people say about it... I may this suck it up and get a used one if I see it but i'm not goin to be in a rush to get one.
Raiderfn31

Post by Raiderfn31 »

Just saw a silver GTS 300 at my dealer. Sat on it and it felt so solid. Would love to ride one. $5999 is a chunk of change though.
"When your lawyer looks at you like you deserve whats coming, you may begin to sweat."
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

The deals on "new" old stock are subject to regional availability. I hear folks all over talking about "leftover" 2009 250's and, sorry, they don't seem to exist here in Denver. Dealers here have offered some incentives but the best I've seen for new Vespas is the list price with no set-up fees. So, I was patient and waited for the right used bike. When it appeared, I jumped on it and saved a bundle compared to a new 250 or 300.

If there are leftovers in your region that would be my first choice. If not, wait for the right used bike. I don't really think Vespas are "overpriced". The cost of a new one is simply more than I wanted to pay. And with plenty of low mileage used examples available, why pay more?
Andy

2006 Buddy 125 (orange), going to a good MB home
2009 Vespa 250 GTS (black)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 (black)
2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, traded for Tiger 800
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

gt1000 wrote:The deals on "new" old stock are subject to regional availability. I hear folks all over talking about "leftover" 2009 250's and, sorry, they don't seem to exist here in Denver. Dealers here have offered some incentives but the best I've seen for new Vespas is the list price with no set-up fees. So, I was patient and waited for the right used bike. When it appeared, I jumped on it and saved a bundle compared to a new 250 or 300
Definitely varies by region. A lot of the discounted bikes are ones from shops that have closed. I know there are a number from the Scooter Superstore chain in the SE US that shuttered earlier this year. So availability will depend on whether the local shops still have '09 stock or whether they've picked up any additional stock via auctions, Piaggio's "scratched and dented" sales, closed shops, repos, etc.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…