Helmets

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Southerner

Post by Southerner »

My previous helmet was a Z1R. It was a pretty no-frills FF but very quiet. I believe I paid about a hundred buck for it at the place where I bought my PC so it was the first new helmet I had in years. Fit was good for my square head and I'm glad I bought it in a shop so I could try a few on for size.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy one again.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Drum Pro wrote:How are the Z1R helmets? I only ask cos I got It free when I bought my Buddy 170i. along with a free Givi top case.
Depends on the model. Some are rated very high for safety but low for comfort and features. In general, it's a low-budget helmet but if you were going to lay out cash for one, there are others in the price range that are probably better.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Rhayc1

Post by Rhayc1 »

I have a Z1R Ace 3/4 helmet and I love it! It has high ratings for the price range. Some people complained of a whistle at high speeds, but if the visor is all the way down I don't hear a whistle at all; however, if it is cracked slightly, there is a low hum. Also, I usually wear a medium, but I wear a small in this particular helmet.

Recommendation: do not buy black! Try to pick the brightest color you can stand or buy silver. You need to be seen!

Purchasing Tip: Where I live, there are very few stores that sell helmets. I purchased several helmets from motorcyclesuperstore.com knowing that I would pay the $6.99 to ship a package back. They usually come in boxes of 2, so if you order 3 to try on, you can send 2 back for the $6.99 price. Worked for me!
09 Buddy 125 (Powder Blue)
Absolute greenie, in every sense...
Ethan Allison

Post by Ethan Allison »

I have a Raider that I got on clearance at Fleet Farm (sort of like a Walmart that ate a Home Depot) for $40. Maybe another $10 to smother it in reflecty tape. I regret nothing.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Ethan Allison wrote:I have a Raider that I got on clearance at Fleet Farm (sort of like a Walmart that ate a Home Depot) for $40. Maybe another $10 to smother it in reflecty tape. I regret nothing.
Not speaking specifically about your Raider, but by the time most people experience regrets when it comes to their helmet choices, it's too late.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Lokky

Post by Lokky »

I'm still looking for a good full-face or modular that will fit me...
Only things that have gone on my head comfortably are a Fullmer modular 3XL, but the mechanism is plastic and prone to breaking, and a Z1R modular 2XL which was way too heavy...
A nolan modular was pretty good except that random plastic bits seemed to be placed in silly spots and rubbed my head wrong, plus no space near the ears for a comm system.
Yet to find a full face that will actually go on my head, looks like my temples are too wide :oops:
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

ericalm wrote:
Ethan Allison wrote:I have a Raider that I got on clearance at Fleet Farm (sort of like a Walmart that ate a Home Depot) for $40. Maybe another $10 to smother it in reflecty tape. I regret nothing.
Not speaking specifically about your Raider, but by the time most people experience regrets when it comes to their helmet choices, it's too late.
:+!: :+!:

When I purchased my Scorpion EXO 400, I did a lot of research - here, webbikeworld, any review I could find. I learned that it was one of the highest rated helmets out there. I found a great deal on one ($100) and had no regrets.

But when my head slammed the median at 50 mph and I didn't have so much as a headache after, that's when I really knew what "no regrets" meant. I was glad I'd done some research.

Even though Scorpion has at least three higher-end models, I had no questions about buying another EXO 400.
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

I got the Z1R "Phantom" full face helmet cos Mike hooked me up. I haven't fallen yet so I can't really say how good it is although any helmet is better than no helmet at all. Plus it matches my silver Buddy 1701 :wink:
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

jmazza wrote:
ericalm wrote:
:+!: :+!:

When I purchased my Scorpion EXO 400, I did a lot of research - here, webbikeworld, any review I could find. I learned that it was one of the highest rated helmets out there. I found a great deal on one ($100) and had no regrets.

But when my head slammed the median at 50 mph and I didn't have so much as a headache after, that's when I really knew what "no regrets" meant. I was glad I'd done some research.

Even though Scorpion has at least three higher-end models, I had no questions about buying another EXO 400.
Scorpion makes some real nice gear for the price. I just wish their full face helmets fit my head :( I have an EXO-100 that performs great, but it's only half of the helmet I need when looking for a full face. The Vega I have is still pretty new, but I'm in the market for far better.
"Earth" without Art is just "Eh"...

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
scootavaran

Post by scootavaran »

I'm a fan of HJC. always fullface.
AWinn6889

Post by AWinn6889 »

I had to share this just because it's so horrible, and awesome at the same time.
The page didn't seem to mention what brand helmet it is... but who cares, look how sparkly and bad ass it is! :shock:

Although, I could never imagine actually wearing it while riding... I would figure it is VERY heavy. and it would be impossible to get all the bugs and gunk out of the tiny little spaces between the shiny things, and I'm sure pieces would start flying off after getting up to 15 mph or so... depending on what kind of adhesive was used.

Maybe I'll make one of my 10-year old painting/airbrushing/pin striping practice helmets into one of these... only with plastic jewels and stuff, since, ya know, crystals are expensive and stuff...
Attachments
helmet.JPG
helmet.JPG (42.17 KiB) Viewed 1574 times
No power in the 'verse can stop me.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Ha, I posted that to Twitter yesterday.

What was even more bizarre is the shot of the model wearing it. She's all sexed up but has a My Little Pony tattoo on one thigh and a Bambi on her arm. Almost as disturbing as the helmet is ugly.

But, hey, if you're going to go ugly, may as well take it to some ridiculous extreme.
Attachments
(cropped photo)
(cropped photo)
blingyhelmet-model-cropped.jpg (72.08 KiB) Viewed 1567 times
AWinn6889

Post by AWinn6889 »

How about the naked guy laying on the ground with sparkly "blood" positioned as though it came from his head... while he's grasping the helmet next to him? Not the best marketing strategy for a helmet that costs more than a good number of helmet-required/suggested vehicles!
Attachments
Ugh, I bought this ridiculously expensive, hideous helmet instead of clothes, and I still cracked my head?!<br />Oh well, at least my mohawk is still standing!
Ugh, I bought this ridiculously expensive, hideous helmet instead of clothes, and I still cracked my head?!
Oh well, at least my mohawk is still standing!
untitled.JPG (11.5 KiB) Viewed 1565 times
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

Was gonna say it had "Lady Gaga" written all over it but after that last photo, I don't know what to think.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

As Rex Morgan, MD has taught us this week, guys with mohawks are BAD NEWS.
AWinn6889

Post by AWinn6889 »

Southerner wrote:Was gonna say it had "Lady Gaga" written all over it but after that last photo, I don't know what to think.
I was thinking Lady Gaga too...

All you would need is these to go with the helmet for eye protection and you're golden... or crystalline at least :P

Witch

Post by Witch »

Personal most recent helmet experiences...

I had a Z1R Metro for a while. It fit well, and I seriously lucked out on picking an ivory one that just so happened to match my GTV perfectly, even before I'd actually ordered the bike. Unfortunately, when I ordered a replacement faceshield, I learned why it was such a cheap helmet. You can get a replacement shield, but not one single person at three different motorcycle shops could successfully put the thing on. The shield is held on by the visor, which basically can't be replaced once you undo it, and wont' go back together.

Got an HCI-10 in the faux leather vinyl covered style (pink with a white stripe). Very very comfortable, and can take just about any universal 3/4 shield or visor out there. Only drawback so far is that I've owned/worn it long enough that the lining is starting to wear down, and flipping up the shield all the way has cut into the vinyl on the top, which is starting to look a bit ratty.

Last summer I purchased a white HJC IS-16. Totally love the interior visor, although it could be a smidge darker. I wear it more often than anything else now. HJC helmets have always fit me pretty well. Seriously considering adding some reflective bits to it soon... my commute might be mostly in the dark, both ways, in the next few months. Haven't had any real complaints about this helmet yet. I even got a nifty reflective-coated face shield for it that I wear when I know I won't be riding after sunset. Very easy to switch with the clear one.

I recently ordered another HCI-10, thereby making my vinyl one the backup helmet in case something happens to my HJC or this new one. I got a glitter one this time, and boy does it attract attention! It's shaped just a tiny bit different from my first one, and seems like it will take a bit longer to break in. But I'm still very pleased with it. The padding around my ears is actually much more than in my HJC, and it's probably almost twice as quiet, even with just the 3/4 face shield on it.
TVB

Post by TVB »

AWinn6889 wrote:How about the naked guy laying on the ground with sparkly "blood" positioned as though it came from his head... while he's grasping the helmet next to him? Not the best marketing strategy for a helmet that costs more than a good number of helmet-required/suggested vehicles!
I don't think the market for this is people who are looking for safety gear.
Edwub

Post by Edwub »

ericalm wrote:Bell went through a very bad period, selling cheap generic junk via big box stores, Pep Boys, etc.

They've revamped and are trying to rebuild their reputation/ Some of their new lids are GREAT. I looked all over the area for one of these to try on before I bought my new helmet but couldn't find one. Hoping they're at the motorcycle show this year:
(Bell Revolver Rally modular)
ExtremeSupply in Long Beach carries it. It's also on sale at Revzilla for $110!! I'm actually tempted, I've wanted to get a modular for myself, though it's hard to justify on whether I need it.

I wonder if it'll be able to fit inside the Blur. I'm trying to still find a good modular for the fiance, so we've been using car only. My current helmet is a rather generic GMAX GM48, and it fits but there's not much wiggle room at all.
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

Edwub wrote:
ericalm wrote:Bell went through a very bad period, selling cheap generic junk via big box stores, Pep Boys, etc.

They've revamped and are trying to rebuild their reputation/ Some of their new lids are GREAT. I looked all over the area for one of these to try on before I bought my new helmet but couldn't find one. Hoping they're at the motorcycle show this year:
(Bell Revolver Rally modular)
ExtremeSupply in Long Beach carries it. It's also on sale at Revzilla for $110!! I'm actually tempted, I've wanted to get a modular for myself, though it's hard to justify on whether I need it.
I wish they'd make it in red with white stripes or yellow with black stripes.
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

or silver with black stripes to match my Buddy, er, Skeeter... :P
supermach

Re: boxer

Post by supermach »

huskerchic wrote:WOW! I dig that helmet. How much did that set you back? Everytime I look for a Boxer helmet, it's over $500 bucks.
Hwarang wrote:This is mine. I hope that a more stylish helmet will encourage me to wear it more often. I also have a full face.

But it's not DOT... Would a cop get on you for that?
laxer

Post by laxer »

I love, Love, LOVE the Roof Boxer! Super jealous of those who have it while I'm left spending my money on rebuilding transmissions and replacing my 110-year-old TVs.
URAwesome

Post by URAwesome »

ericalm wrote:
neotrotsky wrote:I am unfortunately cursed with a HUGE noggin! I mean, XXL to XXXL helmets that ALWAYS must be custom ordered :cry: This means that 90% of the time, SNELL approved helmets are never available to me (since it seems the largest sizes don't qualify or some such BS as said from many different retailers... have yet to find a hard reason why). But, this also means that my chin ALWAYS drags on the chinguard of every helmet I buy. I have yet to find one helmet that my chin doesn't rub against.
This is why I wear a modular and not a solid FF. (I've a 7 3/4 hat size. Can't even buy hats off the rack!) Even most modulars don't fit me; some won't close on my head. This is also why when I bought a new helmet recently, I wound up getting the updated version of the last one I had, the Vega Summit II. I've tried on probably 50 different FF and modular helmet models in various sizes over the past several years and none fit as well. It's known for having the most front-to-back space of any on the market.
The Vega Summit II looks epic and fairly priced too! I'm planning to inspect my potential helmets like you all suggested but what are your thoughts on this helmets capacity for dreads? If this is the biggest/ comfiest helmet you guys found, I assuming it'll be perfect for a big head + dreads. Thoughts?
"Being Kind Changes Lives"

Site- http://urawesome.org/WKT

Twitter- @MrURAwesome

Facebook-https://www.facebook.com/MrURAwesome

Youtube- http://www.youtube.com/user/URAwesomeProductions
URAwesome

Post by URAwesome »

PeteH wrote:Can't speak for the Nolan or the HJC, but I have a reasonably-big noggin as well (25.5"). I'm currently wearing a white 2XL GMax 68S, about $115. Great venting.

I indeed have some DOT hi-conspicuity (truck/trailer marker) reflective tape on my helmet. The 68S also has a set of 6 LEDs on the back, which can be switched to solid or blink. They also sell a module kit that has a wireless transmitter that you cut into your brake light wiring plus a wireless receiver in the helmet to lite 'em up when you hit the brakes. I haven't gone quite this crazy yet, but if there's a spare $45 in my pocket next time I'm at the scooter shop, who knows? It would probably look crazy cool if I wired the transmitter after the brake light modulator.
Hey PeteH!

Do you know if the GMax 68S is available as a modular helmet?

Have you seen this one?
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/ ... elmet.aspx

Thanks
Last edited by URAwesome on Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Twitter- @MrURAwesome

PeteH

Post by PeteH »

A quick review of their website leads me to believe that they are not in the modular business.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
URAwesome

Post by URAwesome »

PeteH wrote:A quick review of their website leads me to believe that they are not in the modular business.
Huh? I just found this one on their site
http://www.g-max.com/gmax/gm54Smotofull.html#

They may not have the GMax 68S in a modular option, but the Gmax 54s looks like it'll do the trick.

This is a pretty in-dept review of the helmet.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LX6MYbX ... re=mh_lolz

Hopefully I can find it in Miami.

Twitter- @MrURAwesome

LunaP

Post by LunaP »

URAwesome wrote:
ericalm wrote:
neotrotsky wrote:I am unfortunately cursed with a HUGE noggin! I mean, XXL to XXXL helmets that ALWAYS must be custom ordered :cry: This means that 90% of the time, SNELL approved helmets are never available to me (since it seems the largest sizes don't qualify or some such BS as said from many different retailers... have yet to find a hard reason why). But, this also means that my chin ALWAYS drags on the chinguard of every helmet I buy. I have yet to find one helmet that my chin doesn't rub against.
This is why I wear a modular and not a solid FF. (I've a 7 3/4 hat size. Can't even buy hats off the rack!) Even most modulars don't fit me; some won't close on my head. This is also why when I bought a new helmet recently, I wound up getting the updated version of the last one I had, the Vega Summit II. I've tried on probably 50 different FF and modular helmet models in various sizes over the past several years and none fit as well. It's known for having the most front-to-back space of any on the market.
The Vega Summit II looks epic and fairly priced too! I'm planning to inspect my potential helmets like you all suggested but what are your thoughts on this helmets capacity for dreads? If this is the biggest/ comfiest helmet you guys found, I assuming it'll be perfect for a big head + dreads. Thoughts?
My thoughts?

Good luck fitting dreads into a helmet. I am willing to bet money that you simply will not be comfortable. :( If you ARE, then your helmet does not fit properly, and you are probably not safe.

Just to give you an example of how tight to your head your helmet will be.... I'm a gal with LONG hair. I cannot wear a braid, bun, or ANYTHING OTHER THAN a ponytail set low on my head. If I set it too high on my head, the band (which are the small, thin kind without metal) starts to feel like it's poking really hard into the back of my head after 20-30 minutes of having the helmet on.
URAwesome

Post by URAwesome »

LunaP wrote:
URAwesome wrote:
ericalm wrote: This is why I wear a modular and not a solid FF. (I've a 7 3/4 hat size. Can't even buy hats off the rack!) Even most modulars don't fit me; some won't close on my head. This is also why when I bought a new helmet recently, I wound up getting the updated version of the last one I had, the Vega Summit II. I've tried on probably 50 different FF and modular helmet models in various sizes over the past several years and none fit as well. It's known for having the most front-to-back space of any on the market.
My thoughts?

Good luck fitting dreads into a helmet. I am willing to bet money that you simply will not be comfortable. :( If you ARE, then your helmet does not fit properly, and you are probably not safe.

Just to give you an example of how tight to your head your helmet will be.... I'm a gal with LONG hair. I cannot wear a braid, bun, or ANYTHING OTHER THAN a ponytail set low on my head. If I set it too high on my head, the band (which are the small, thin kind without metal) starts to feel like it's poking really hard into the back of my head after 20-30 minutes of having the helmet on.
Hey LunaP!

Thanks again for sharing this link btw. Just started going through your links. I'm planning to tackle one piece at a time so helmet first lol.

I wore a FF helmet when I learned to ride a motorcycle. It was a XXL and it fit pretty snug without being uncomfortable. I also checked out a few XXL at the local dealer and they seemed liked they'd be a good fit. But I def want to try out a Gmax 54s before I buy one.

It looks like such a great helmet, I'm really hoping it will fit and keep providing room as my hair grows.

If you check out this link http://www.youtube.com/user/SignOfTheDay you'll see that my dreads aren't very long. But they're puffy enough where I can't fit anything below a XXL. :P

Twitter- @MrURAwesome

ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I've seen guys with dreads in FF helmets. There's a guy with pretty long ones who rides a Ruckus around here. No idea what kind of helmet, but it can be done.
URAwesome

Post by URAwesome »

ericalm wrote:I've seen guys with dreads in FF helmets. There's a guy with pretty long ones who rides a Ruckus around here. No idea what kind of helmet, but it can be done.
Awesome!! :lol:

What do you think of this one? http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/ ... elmet.aspx

Have you heard anything about the lights running out of batteries?

Thanks

Twitter- @MrURAwesome

Southerner

Post by Southerner »

I have a Gmax helmet. Mine's the model with all the vents (works but noisy). As expected, it came with a cheap battery but just put one of those lithium disposables in it and you should be good for a long time. Of course, I only use mine at night and don't ride after dark very much because of all the deer around here.

You will have to be careful to not let the button get pressed accidentally and run the battery down while it's in the closet or whatever. It sticks out quite a bit.
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

As I said, it was a _quick_ review of GMax's website. :P

As far as the lighting button goes, yeah, the button sticks out, but mine came with a rubber 'donut' with a sticky pad on one side, which goes over the button. The donut hole guards the button so that a casual bump won't turn it on. Of course, I'm sure I'll lose the donut soon - the sticky pad isn't all that..... sticky.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

I took a chance on the Bell Revolver from a Black Friday sale. It was only $80 so I figured I'd check it out.

I had to send it back. One side didn't latch close, the visor didn't fit flush against the shell and they somehow designed it for people without chins. I got such a bad impression of it that I didn't want to try a replacement. Hopefully that was one bad one or had been dropped somewhere along the line.

There's something to be said for buying helmets in person. The only downside to that is the lack of variety. It just doesn't make sense to sell every brand known to man in an outlet shop. Most shops around me have 2-3 brands.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
URAwesome

Post by URAwesome »

Southerner wrote:I have a Gmax helmet. Mine's the model with all the vents (works but noisy). As expected, it came with a cheap battery but just put one of those lithium disposables in it and you should be good for a long time. Of course, I only use mine at night and don't ride after dark very much because of all the deer around here.

You will have to be careful to not let the button get pressed accidentally and run the battery down while it's in the closet or whatever. It sticks out quite a bit.
Thanks for the heads up Southerner!

I'm not sure how to gauge the "noise factor" yet. Is it something major to consider? As in a deciding factor of buying a helmet? Or is it a minor thing that soft music in headphones will drown out?

Thanks

Twitter- @MrURAwesome

URAwesome

Post by URAwesome »

PeteH wrote:As I said, it was a _quick_ review of GMax's website. :P

As far as the lighting button goes, yeah, the button sticks out, but mine came with a rubber 'donut' with a sticky pad on one side, which goes over the button. The donut hole guards the button so that a casual bump won't turn it on. Of course, I'm sure I'll lose the donut soon - the sticky pad isn't all that..... sticky.
No worries PeteH. Just wanted to make sure we were looking at the same site. :P

I should be able to check out a GM45s in a few hours. I'll def check to see if it has the little donut.

Twitter- @MrURAwesome

Southerner

Post by Southerner »

URAwesome wrote:
Southerner wrote:I have a Gmax helmet. Mine's the model with all the vents (works but noisy). As expected, it came with a cheap battery but just put one of those lithium disposables in it and you should be good for a long time. Of course, I only use mine at night and don't ride after dark very much because of all the deer around here.

I'm not sure how to gauge the "noise factor" yet. Is it something major to consider? As in a deciding factor of buying a helmet? Or is it a minor thing that soft music in headphones will drown out?

Thanks
You're most welcome.

Mine's noisy because of all the vents. Modulars have a rep for being noisy because of the cuts that allow them to open. Any surface feature is going to cause an air burble of some sort and that creates a whoosing sound. It gets more annoying the faster you go. Might be a total non-issue around town, especially in slow traffic.

I've never used headphones on a MC so can't offer any info there.
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

This past Saturday, I ordered a Nolan N90 modular helmet, in white. I normally wouldn't order a helmet on-line, but earlier in the day, I had tried on an identical Nolan belonging to a fellow scooter club member, and it fit perfectly. It has great venting, a built-in sunshield and an ingenious latching system. Plus, Revzilla has them on sale!
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

URAwesome wrote:

Thanks
I've never worn and extremely noisy helmet... but the first one I used- a hand-me-down, that was a size too large and had no face shield- would send a bunch of wind flat against my face. It would give me headaches every now and then, from the pressure and noise over an extended period of time... especially towards the end of the summer when it was chilly riding at night. BUT... I am more inclined to get headaches at all, than average Joe, I think. That's my $.02 on helmet noise/wind.
URAwesome

Post by URAwesome »

PeterC wrote:This past Saturday, I ordered a Nolan N90 modular helmet, in white. I normally wouldn't order a helmet on-line, but earlier in the day, I had tried on an identical Nolan belonging to a fellow scooter club member, and it fit perfectly. It has great venting, a built-in sunshield and an ingenious latching system. Plus, Revzilla has them on sale!
Thanks PeterC!

I'll look into the Nolan when I get back to a comp. (replying from my phone). I can't seem to find a XXL GM54s to try on in Miami. I know that a XXL is what fit me before but idk if I should risk ordering a brand I haven't tried on before. What do you all think? And does anyone know of a legit site besides leatherup.com that will let me return a helmet without a restocking fee?

Thanks in advance! :)

Twitter- @MrURAwesome

Southerner

Post by Southerner »

I will add one thought about flip-up helmets. The guy who owns the local Honda/Suzuki shop here was the first person I personally knew to wear one. I asked him about his and he does indeed like it but said the only time he went down while wearing it, the visor was flipped up.

It's that thought that keeps me from buying one.
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

URAwesome wrote:
PeterC wrote:This past Saturday, I ordered a Nolan N90 modular helmet, in white. I normally wouldn't order a helmet on-line, but earlier in the day, I had tried on an identical Nolan belonging to a fellow scooter club member, and it fit perfectly. It has great venting, a built-in sunshield and an ingenious latching system. Plus, Revzilla has them on sale!
Thanks PeterC!

I'll look into the Nolan when I get back to a comp. (replying from my phone). I can't seem to find a XXL GM54s to try on in Miami. I know that a XXL is what fit me before but idk if I should risk ordering a brand I haven't tried on before. What do you all think? And does anyone know of a legit site besides leatherup.com that will let me return a helmet without a restocking fee?

Thanks in advance! :)

Revzilla, where I bought my helmet, will let you exchange your helmet - and they pay postage both ways - if it doesn't fit. Also, on purchases at that level, postage is free.
Syd

Post by Syd »

LunaP wrote:
URAwesome wrote:

Thanks
I've never worn and extremely noisy helmet... but the first one I used- a hand-me-down, that was a size too large and had no face shield- would send a bunch of wind flat against my face. It would give me headaches every now and then, from the pressure and noise over an extended period of time... especially towards the end of the summer when it was chilly riding at night. BUT... I am more inclined to get headaches at all, than average Joe, I think. That's my $.02 on helmet noise/wind.
Bet you have, but you didn't realize it. Start protecting your hearing now or regret it later.
The majority is always sane - Nessus