Went to a Bike Night last night.

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Southerner

Went to a Bike Night last night.

Post by Southerner »

It was in Columbus, GA. Naturally, it was mostly Harleys but this was a fully-authorized event downtown on Broad Street, which the city thoughtfully closed off to only motorcycles.

I don't own a scooter yet and traveled there on my PC800 with a couple of Japanese cruisers and one Harley. I thought I was pretty much the odd man out but right in the middle of the crowd there was one scooter - a Buddy.

I think the couple that owned it was local but they had to go to a dealer in the Atlanta area, which, oddly, is primarily a Harley dealership.

The whole event was very friendly, with all sorts of bikes represented. Not bad. Wish there were more like it in this area.
mrandmrslindholm

Cool

Post by mrandmrslindholm »

I have thought about going to bike nights once I get my full license and can ride at night. There is a local one that is well attended. Wonder what the response would be here? Any California scooterists ever attend a bike night?
viney266

Post by viney266 »

I"ve gone to bike nights on scooters, two-stroke race bikes, and "jap" bikes. Never had an issue. Always well received.
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

Once a month I go to a 'Biker Breakfast' one of the local fire companies holds as a fund raiser. Out of a few thousand bikes there I've seen only two other scooters, both Vespas, aside from my Buddy. (a full 75% of the other bikes are Harleys)
Next time my son in having his girl friend ride our Honda Met (she has ALWAYS said that scooters AREN'T cool) She has always pointed out the lack of scooters! :oops:
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

KABarash wrote:Once a month I go to a 'Biker Breakfast' one of the local fire companies holds as a fund raiser. Out of a few thousand bikes there I've seen only two other scooters, both Vespas, aside from my Buddy. (a full 75% of the other bikes are Harleys)
Next time my son in having his girl friend ride our Honda Met (she has ALWAYS said that scooters AREN'T cool) She has always pointed out the lack of scooters! :oops:
I hear you! ...don't get me started on the immaturity, and lack of ability to do critical thinking, that I sense in the world today... :roll:

What about all the people that say we should go green with everything we do? (not saying all scooters are green, but they typically all do use much less gas than cars...) Let me think...are the vast majority of them driving cars?...oops! I guess they are!

Eveyone other than them should be riding bikes, motorcycles and scooters, right?

Sorry....I wasn't going to get started... :oops:
Past bikes: 08' Genuine Buddy 125, '07 Yamaha Majesty 400, '07 Piaggio MP3 250, '08 Piaggio MP3 500, '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Current bikes: Two '09 Genuine Buddy 125's
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I often ride to places with predominantly biker customers (biker hangouts along popular routes) but wouldn't go to a bike night around here. There are a few reasons for this, one being that the events are intended for motorcycles, I'm not really trying to prove anything and I think I might just be inviting jeers, hostility etc. by showing up. I'm definitely NOT trying to dissuade anyone from going to a local bike night, though. That's just my impression from past experiences o what I could expect around here.

Skootz and I attended a benefit ride a couple years ago that was mostly bikers in a group that holds one of the larger bike nights around here. It was a disaster for all sorts of reasons that had nothing to do with us being on scooters (organization, full of squids). But, also, I just felt out of place.

There's been discussion of having a scooter night around here, which could be fun, but… What actually happens at these things? Everyone parks and then stands around talking?
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

KABarash wrote:(she has ALWAYS said that scooters AREN'T cool) She has always pointed out the lack of scooters! :oops:
Wouldn't that be the reason we're cool? If scooters were the majority, we'd lose our uniqueness and be just another shnook. The cool ones are the innovators, the ones who stick by what they believe in amidst all the doubt and criticism, the lone wolves among mindless sheep.
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

BootScootin'FireFighter wrote:
KABarash wrote:(she has ALWAYS said that scooters AREN'T cool) She has always pointed out the lack of scooters! :oops:
Wouldn't that be the reason we're cool? If scooters were the majority, we'd lose our uniqueness and be just another shnook. The cool ones are the innovators, the ones who stick by what they believe in amidst all the doubt and criticism, the lone wolves among mindless sheep.
+1 ! :clap:
Past bikes: 08' Genuine Buddy 125, '07 Yamaha Majesty 400, '07 Piaggio MP3 250, '08 Piaggio MP3 500, '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Current bikes: Two '09 Genuine Buddy 125's
rsrider

Post by rsrider »

I go to the local bike night (at *$'s) on my scooter. (the scooter is easier to get out of the garage and gear up for than the MC's) I'm actually referred to as scooter-dude. But the last bike night I went to, a couple of weeks ago, looked like this:

So I guess I won't be going anymore unless I'm extremely bored and it's a nice night.

(the photo sucks because it's from my phone and it doesn't take night photos very well)
Using the internet for evil since 1994.
rsrider

Post by rsrider »

ericalm wrote:What actually happens at these things? Everyone parks and then stands around talking?
Mostly the talk centers around what's happening in the MC world, what mods people have done to their bikes, setting up rides for the weekend, and drinking a lot of coffee. Since I do ride MC's and follow MC racing, I don't have a problem interacting. Basically it's just a time to admire some bikes, get out of the house, and maybe get in a short ride. I also pick up groceries if needed, because there is an Albertson's just across the parking lot.
Last edited by rsrider on Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

This particular event seemed to be pretty well-organized. It had gone on all day and the guys I was with wanted to wait until evening to go so as to hear the live bands.

There were people there with their kids and such and the police were extremely visible, both on their own bikes and on foot. I didn't see any foolishness. Well, nothing violent. I DID see a lot of people who should have looked in the mirror before they left home but it takes all kinds, I guess.

The city even allowed the nearby bars to set up on the sidewalk to sell drinks - something not normally allowed.

Vendors were selling cruiser wear, bike accessories, T-shirts, and the like. One place was installing LED light kits on the spot. Pretty neat. As I understand it, they are legal as long as the bike is not moving but not on the road.

I guess if there is a local scooter club, it could start small and informal, like maybe meet at a coffee shop or restaurant or bar. There's a group of guys here in town who meet once a week at the local Sonic, of all places. You might gain some more members and, if lucky, the event could get pretty big and be a local draw. There were lots of people at this thing that probably never swung a leg over a bike, just to look around.
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

rsrider wrote:
ericalm wrote:What actually happens at these things? Everyone parks and then stands around talking?
Mostly the talk centers around what's happening in the MC world, what mods people have done to their bikes, setting up rides for the weekend, and drinking a lot of coffee. Since I do ride MC's and follow MC racing, I don't have a problem interacting. Basically it's just a time to admire some bikes, get out of the house, and maybe get in a short ride. I also pick up groceries if needed, because the is an Albertson's just across the parking lot.
O, so it's like a rally. :wink:
ModBud #442
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

We had a club ride to a biker night last year. Mostly Harley's were there, but we showed up with 8-9 scoots. The funniest thing is that there were a few people there taking pics of all the bikes and once we showed up, we got most of the attention. A lot of the kids that were there wanted to come over and see all the scooters as well.

good times

Howard
Iron Butt Association Member Number 42256
Club - The Sky Island Riders.
Publisher: The Scooter 'Zine thescooterzine.com
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

michelle_7728 wrote:
BootScootin'FireFighter wrote:
+1 ! :clap:
Yeah...... She was 'harping' om me that I should get a "Real Bike" When a friend of theirs got a Suzuki GZ250 and my buddy is just as fast, she's quieted down some.

BTW: I'm cool just because I don't give a damn, I was a Teen in the 70's isn't that cool enough??
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

KABarash wrote:
michelle_7728 wrote:
BootScootin'FireFighter wrote: Naw. Didn't work for me at all. Even with the bellbottoms and the shirts with the big puffy sleeves.
rsrider

Post by rsrider »

well, my wife is going to AZ on wed., and it's been fricking hot here, so I may end up going to another bike night......................
siobhan

Re: Went to a Bike Night last night.

Post by siobhan »

Southerner wrote:...I don't own a scooter yet and traveled there on my PC800...
um, the PC800 is as close to scootah as a motorcycle can come. I do love the Pacific Coast as it warms your heart in this odd, weird, huh what is that?, kind of way. And you can haul enough food for camping for two weeks without saddlebags!
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

ericalm wrote:I often ride to places with predominantly biker customers (biker hangouts along popular routes) but wouldn't go to a bike night around here. There are a few reasons for this, one being that the events are intended for motorcycles, I'm not really trying to prove anything and I think I might just be inviting jeers, hostility etc. by showing up. I'm definitely NOT trying to dissuade anyone from going to a local bike night, though. That's just my impression from past experiences o what I could expect around here.
Pull out your tactical man-bag and kick some @ss, mr. moderator! :D
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).