New Buddy owner w/a few ???s

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

sparkle motion

New Buddy owner w/a few ???s

Post by sparkle motion »

I've been lurking for a few weeks and decided to introduce myself - I just picked up my orange Buddy 125 last Saturday. I bought it from Nick at Brooklyn Bretta, who is highly recommended btw. I love it!

I've done several searches on here, which have been quite helpful, but couldn't find if there was any particular cover you expert Buddy owners recommend. Unfortunately it must live outside and it's already rained once, so I need to get one stat. If there is a thread I missed, please feel free to direct me.

Also, I'm considering a panel swap or getting it painted in the future. Nick only had black, pink, and orange in stock. Pink is adorable, but I know my husband. While he's very metrosexual, he still has a ways to go. ;) Black seemed too boyish for me, so I went with orange. All was good until my best friend pointed out how Cleveland Browns-ish it is. I'm from Cleveland and not into sports at all. Now when I look at it, that is all I see. I'm thinking the cream panels might look nice, any thoughts?

Cheers,
April
"Well behaved women rarely make history"
250koala

Post by 250koala »

I bought a 63' BBQ grill cover for mine for around $15 or so at Target. It's been raining and my scooter stays dry and ready to ride.

Mine is creme. Tan grips and seat have been a consideration. I change my mind about once a week on a color scheme, but I always seem to get back to a tan or chocolate brown with the creme. Post in trade section. Maybe someone would be interested in a panel swap.
ebcspace

scooter cover

Post by ebcspace »

you can get higher end covers at your favorite scooter/motorcycle dealer,and you can get more economic covers at your local auto parts store or local department store, in the automotive/motorcycle sections.

our Buddy sports a size large motorcycle cover, purchased from (W)-mart, which covers nicely, including the wheels, almost all the way to the ground. made to fit a motorbike, agrees with the mirrors, front wheel, rear wheel and body, including the rear rack.

necessity is the mother of invention. if bolt breaks, get rope.
scoot on!
weaseltamer

Post by weaseltamer »

only slightly off topic... anyone else think brown fender and cowls would look good on an orange buddy? like a mid-reddish brown (70s) not a black-brown.
Eddy Merckx

Re: scooter cover

Post by Eddy Merckx »

ebcspace wrote:you can get higher end covers at your favorite scooter/motorcycle dealer,and you can get more economic covers at your local auto parts store or local department store, in the automotive/motorcycle sections.

our Buddy sports a size large motorcycle cover, purchased from (W)-mart, which covers nicely, including the wheels, almost all the way to the ground. made to fit a motorbike, agrees with the mirrors, front wheel, rear wheel and body, including the rear rack.

necessity is the mother of invention. if bolt breaks, get rope.
You can get a quality "heavy duty" rain cover from your local bicycle shop w/ a draw string on the bottom to keep wind from billowing up under the cover for about $29.99 plus the governments share, I've got one and it works realy good......just a thought...........
"Social graces, got any"
sparkle motion

Post by sparkle motion »

Thanks for the tips, everyone!
250koala wrote:Mine is creme. Tan grips and seat have been a consideration. I change my mind about once a week on a color scheme, but I always seem to get back to a tan or chocolate brown with the creme.
I love the cream and would have definitely got that or the series italia if he had it in stock - I didn't want to wait. I think the cream would look gorgeous with the plastic parts (it's all plastic, but you know the matte plastic) painted chocolate brown, then a brown seat and grips.

I was thinking of either having an overhaul paint job done and doing like a two-tone blue -very light turqoise and royal or navy blue or getting cream panels (swap or buy). I wonder what the cream panels would look like with the orange matte plastic...
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

I use my Vega cover every day. Since you'll likely be doing that, too, I suggest getting a fairly durable motorcycle cover, such as the Vega. They're better than BBQ covers or tarps b/c they have elastics with clips on the end to fasten securely to your scooter, as well as heat resistant panels for the areas by the engine and exhaust. I have the size large cover, b/c i have a windscreen, but I bet the medium would work for those without a topcase or windscreen.

I don't think Cleveland Browns when I see the sunset orange scooter. I guess that could be the case if you were actually riding in Cleveland, but in Brooklyn? Nah. But then, I don't follow professional sports teams, either, so I dunno. YMMV, as they say. Welcome aboard to the board, anyway, and happy trails to you! :D
ModBud #442
piperdown

Post by piperdown »

I've got red panels on a formerly orange Buddy. Kinda wild looking but I've gotten used to it. The dealer put the orange panels on a red Buddy making it look very Bengals/Browns.
twharton

Post by twharton »

I've got red panels on a formerly orange Buddy. Kinda wild looking but I've gotten used to it. The dealer put the orange panels on a red Buddy making it look very Bengals/Browns.

How dare you tease us with a mental image and then not post pictures! :evil:

Pretty Please!
twharton
Northwest, FL
"Where thousands live the way millions wish they could!"
AxeYrCat

Post by AxeYrCat »

Sometimes, I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion!! :lol:

Some have just replaced the brown vinyl and plastic bits with the black. I actually think that looks really good — I don't know if you'd find that too Halloweeny, though. :wink:

I imagine cream would work, but that'd be a lot of panels to buy/switch... I think the other method would be cheaper.

That said, if you wanted either cream or the SI green, I'd go ahead and re-spray it or buy the panels — it's all that will ultimately make you happy. :D
Huh? What just happened?
piperdown

Post by piperdown »

Pictures to follow. The camera is on vacation with my daughter.
DarbyWalters

Post by DarbyWalters »

Cream with Orange front panel and front fender is called a "Dreamcyle"...taken from the ice cream bar
Founder of www.LOSTKJs.com ... Jeep Liberty Forum

Lambretta UNO 150cc 4 Stroke...Hope I can still hang around here!

GY6B...4 Valve Head, 26mm carb, Oil Cooler, High Compression head...all Stock...64mpg Top End.
sparkle motion

Post by sparkle motion »

AxeYrCat wrote:Sometimes, I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion!! :lol:
Those are the best easter eggs I've ever seen. That movie is such a classic.
piperdown wrote:I've got red panels on a formerly orange Buddy. Kinda wild looking but I've gotten used to it. The dealer put the orange panels on a red Buddy making it look very Bengals/Browns.
Oooh. I'd love to see pics too!
DarbyWalters wrote:Cream with Orange front panel and front fender is called a "Dreamcyle"...taken from the ice cream bar
That sounds nice. So only the front panel and front fender? What about the rear panels and whatever that skinny panel is that goes along the bottom? I don't know the difference between all these things. :roll: Anyway, would love to see a pic of this one too.

In other scooter-related news, my husband bought a used Kymco People 150 today. I gave him the scooter bug. :wink: It's really amazing. I don't know which I like better, but I will say that even though the Kymco supposedly weighs only 20 lbs more, it feels much much heavier than my Buddy. The finishing on the Kymco looks much nicer, just solid instrumentation and even a clock, but I'm still totally in love with my Buddy.
cowgirl helmet

Post by cowgirl helmet »

Hi, April -- welcome! I've got the orange Buddy too, with the brown panels. I'm not from Cleveland, but I didn't love the brown/orange look, so I got a custom seat cover from Crystal -- black with rainbow flames. (I supplied her with the fabric -- sorry, no pix yet.)

In terms of covers, Crystal (who is my scooter guru -- can you tell?) recommends the Dowco, because it has grommets that accept a cable lock. As she points out, this setup will both help secure the scoot from potential thieves, and keep the cover on when it's windy. If your scoot must live outside (especially if you're in the NYC area), the lock is essential. (And the cable lock should be your first line of defense, but not your last -- check out Crystal's security tips.)

One other point about covers: the Dowco also has heat shields to keep the hot parts of your scoot from melting the plastic cover if you need to put it on immediately after riding. The plastic cover that I got from the not-recommended shop Scootertronics doesn't have those, so my cover has got some melted spots.

Hmm. I think I've just talked myself into ordering a Dowco.
sparkle motion

Post by sparkle motion »

cowgirl helmet wrote: In terms of covers, Crystal (who is my scooter guru -- can you tell?) recommends the Dowco, because it has grommets that accept a cable lock. [/url].)
Thanks cowgirl helmet. I'm going to order the Dowco today. I'm debating between medium and large since there is no actual size chart. There is a reviewer who said the medium fit his metropolitan perfect, I'm sure the buddy is close in size to the met, right?

I need to look more at the girlbike website. I'm in desperate need of some cute protective gear. I know, I know - the protection is key, but we can be cute too, no? 8)
ryder1

Post by ryder1 »

Do you know what size Dowco fits the "Buddy 125"?
cowgirl helmet

Post by cowgirl helmet »

Sparkle, I actually think the Met's smaller than the Buddy.

For both Sparkle and Ryder -- I tried using Live Help on the Motorcycle Superstore site to ask about sizing, but the chat window disappeared as soon as I pushed "Send," so I have no idea what's up. :wtf: Maybe I'll get an e-mail response -- if so, I'll pass along whatever the store has to say.

And Sparkle -- there is absolutely no shame in wanting cute protective gear. 8) That's a topic of considerable conversation on Crystal's blog. It's something we talk about a lot on ScooterDiva as well. Ryder and other women on this board are also members there -- c'mon over and check us out!
sparkle motion

Post by sparkle motion »

Same thing happened to me when I tried to chat with a customer service rep, Cowgirl Helmet (btw, love that helmet!).

I suspected the Met was smaller than the Buddy, yet fear a large would be too big. I just wish they had the measurements on the site. I tried looking for the same product at different sites, but still no measurements.

I will definitely check out ScooterDiva. Thanks!
ariane

Post by ariane »

I have the Dowco cover for my Blur, which is definitely larger than the Buddy, so I wouldn't go with the large. The medium fits my Blur a bit tight, so will probably work for you Buddy. It's a good cover.
sparkle motion

Post by sparkle motion »

Medium it is.

It occurred to me today to check the cover that came with my husband's Kymco. Sure enough it was the Dowco and in large. I tried it on the Buddy and poor thing was drowning in there. So I just ordered medium. I'll report back if it's too big/too small.
Last edited by sparkle motion on Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cowgirl helmet

Post by cowgirl helmet »

Great! I'll wait till you get yours and post a report, April, before I order mine. No use having several of us order the same wrong size and have to send 'em back.
Elm Creek Smith

Post by Elm Creek Smith »

You could replace all the brown stuff on your orange Buddy with black stuff and match the colors for Oklahoma State University! Go Cowboys!

ECS
Yes, that is my scooter.
Yes, I wear a helmet and a FIRSTGEAR armored jacket.
No, I'm not embarrassed to be seen riding it.
Yes, that is an NRA sticker on the fender.

"I aim to misbehave."
echochamber

Post by echochamber »

Saw a pink buddy w/ black panels the other day.

It looked kinda kinky.

\eko
cowgirl helmet

Post by cowgirl helmet »

Hey people -- I got a response back from Motorcycle Superstore about the sizing on Dowco covers. Here's what they said:
The following is the sizing information Dowco is offering their covers:

Small: SX45, most 50cc & under w/mirrors
Medium: SX50, Most 80-250cc w/mirrors
Large: SX100, Most 80-225CC w/ windshield & trunk
X-Large: Most up to 650cc
Looks like the Medium is the size for the Buddy, all right.