Chrome bags... who's got one?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

neotrotsky

Chrome bags... who's got one?

Post by neotrotsky »

FINALLY found a local shop that carries these things! For those of you who don't know: Chrome bags are a rugged messenger bag made by a company of former bike messengers who wanted something that was actually durable. They use 600 Denier Nylon, seatbelt latches as buckles and are waterproof.... and expensive! :shock:

The Mini-metro fit well, but my question is how well do they really hold up to everyday use and riding. Some riders in the club I used to ride with had some, but they were of the huge variety and didn't look comfy. Everyone keeps raving about them, but I never see them on people locally. I'm doing alot of cross city riding, and need something to keep my books and tablet in check since the new P200 doesn't have storage at all.

So, is it worth the $120? Or, should I just stick with the $30 Dickies backpack and save up for a fancy Corazzo instead of my boring Joe Rocket :P
"Earth" without Art is just "Eh"...

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
Mulliganal

Re: Chrome bags... who's got one?

Post by Mulliganal »

neotrotsky wrote: So, is it worth the $120? Or, should I just stick with the $30 Dickies backpack and save up for a fancy Corazzo instead of my boring Joe Rocket :P
I had a Chrome bag and they're nice, but I think Baileyworks bags are nicer. And Baileyworks bags won't have you looking like your a typical 20something bike messenger, unless that's what you're looking for.

http://baileyworks.com/ :shock:
".....Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us......"
Syd

Post by Syd »

Dickies. Especially if it is structurally sound and yet all beat up. A trashcan liner works for waterproofing, if needed. But monsoon's almost over, so it won't be needed, right?
The majority is always sane - Nessus
pneu125

Post by pneu125 »

I'vs had a Chrome bag for 5 years now and it looks brand new. I use it everyday as my work bad. It has been in the car, on the bicycle and on the scooter. I think it was $120 well spent!
Wheelz

Post by Wheelz »

I have 3 (large, medium, small)all about 9 years old. I've sworn by them on here before and I'll do it again, there is no bag of the type that will last as long, distribute weight, and generally form to your body like the chrome.
Ive owned a few other from timbuk2, and ortlieb, but they just didn't do it for me, timbuk are crap, the ortlieb was good but a different kinda bag more like a back pack...
All of the white piping on the bags is also reflective so that helps a bit for visabillity.
I've traveled with em, gone on a few century rides on the bike, not to mention four years of being a messenger with the large one and it's a bit faded and dirty but other than that and a little rust on my seatbelt buckle it could do four more.
I don't think they are workmanship guaranteed for life anymore but they used to be.

*oh yeah that was all season riding as well-rain, snow, ice, sun, wind, you name it's been through it, and still never lets me down.*
"Hey You, yeah, all you'se thoughts, specially you, creepy wierd one in the corner, Screw you guys, I'm going for a ride..."
jasondavis48108

Post by jasondavis48108 »

I have one of the medium sized chrome bags. The one thing I hate about it is that there is no padding so if you put hard things in it like hardcover textbooks then they dig into your back. This means your forced to put something like a hoodie in there for padding. Also, the liner is water proof but when I used to bike with it in the rain, rain could still get in from the side. If I were going to by one of their bags again it would be one of thier roll top backpacks. Also, messenger bags are great if your in the hunched over position as on a road bike, not so good for upright riding on a scooter.
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

+1 on the ortlieb. Get their classic backpack style bag. Waterproof and comes in bright yellow, very visible. Of course if you have more affordable options, go with them and use a trashbag. I can't imagine rain being an often occurrance out that way.
flatblackbuddy

Post by flatblackbuddy »

If money were no object, I would get one of these from Saddleback Leather:

http://www.saddlebackleather.com/catego ... ather-Bags

I have a wallet and travel case from them, and they are bar none, the highest quality leather products I have ever owned. I only wish the made jackets and boots. I'd drop the cash for those in a heartbeat...
Dress for the crash, not for the ride

flatblackbuddy

Post by flatblackbuddy »

If money were no object, I would get one of these from Saddleback Leather:

http://www.saddlebackleather.com/catego ... ather-Bags

I have a wallet and travel case from them, and they are bar none, the highest quality leather products I have ever owned. I only wish the made jackets and boots. I'd drop the cash for those in a heartbeat...
Dress for the crash, not for the ride

siobhan

Post by siobhan »

If you want the Chrome bag and you're looking to save a few bob, frequent their "backdoor" sale. Items change constantly.
http://www.chromebagsstore.com/backdoor-sale.html

If you're looking to make any bag waterproof, better than regular trash bags are 'trash compactor' bags. They're three times as thick to take a beating.

I swear by Ortlieb. Never a drop.
Last edited by siobhan on Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mulliganal

Post by Mulliganal »

siobhan wrote: I swear by Ortlieb. Never a drop.
I have two Ortlieb messenger bags and the thing I like about them is they are light weight. I can pack the same amount of stuff into the Ortlieb that I would another messenger bag and the difference in the weight on my back with the Ortlieb is very noticeable.
".....Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us......"
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

I'll rep a local mom & pop shop here: http://www.reloadbags.com/ I went all out and splurged on a custom design, no regrets! I have the Civilian, and I use it for weekend trips and grocery shopping.
ModBud #442
desmolicious

Post by desmolicious »

I use Timbuk2 - excellent and made in San Francisco!

http://www.timbuk2.com
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

Well I took the plunge after getting a virtual coupon from a local bike shop sent to me. After combining it with an in store sale, I was able to pick up a mini metro Chrome bag for about $70 out the door! May post a product review after a few days if one doesn't exist on here

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
desmolicious

Post by desmolicious »

Wheelz wrote: timbuk are crap
What is crap about them? I'm happy with mine and have used it for several years now with no issues. Still looks great, no signs of wear.
AWinn6889

Post by AWinn6889 »

I'm all about my good ol' LLBeans! I am actually still using the little red backpack that I got when I was in kindergarten, and it still looks like new! Even the reflective stripe is still very reflective and hasn't worn out over the years! I recently acquired a neon green one as well, my stepsister is a counselor for a local children's Diabetes summer camp and they give her a new one every year. But, when I have to haul my laptop I have a nice Bean messenger bag (that also has backpack straps and a chest strap) that fits laptop + half helmet + purse, and all of the cables and my external hard drive, with room to spare! When I am going on a grocery run I have a larger backpack with double "chest" straps, that also has lots of bright reflective stuff on it, and a bunch of little pockets for my wallet, cell phone, etc! None of these are less than oh, 10 years old, maybe 8 for the messenger bag... and I use them all the time! Great prices, and great quality. Bean has never let me down! :D

...also I don't feel bad about putting some patches on them, and sewing on some extra reflective stuff if I need to (I only did it on the messenger bag because, despite it being bright yellowand having some reflective piping, it still wasn't super visible at night). And IF I ever crash, I won't feel horrible about my $100+ bag getting all dirty and torn up.

I will probably be getting this one..

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/64778?fe ... 0=Hibiscus

...very soon (for some reason nothing seems to like the gif image...). I should be able to easily fit my half helmet in the bungee area on the front... and I need a pink one to match the rest of my gear :P
No power in the 'verse can stop me.
enzomatic

Post by enzomatic »

jasondavis48108 wrote:I have one of the medium sized chrome bags. The one thing I hate about it is that there is no padding so if you put hard things in it like hardcover textbooks then they dig into your back. This means your forced to put something like a hoodie in there for padding. Also, the liner is water proof but when I used to bike with it in the rain, rain could still get in from the side. If I were going to by one of their bags again it would be one of thier roll top backpacks. Also, messenger bags are great if your in the hunched over position as on a road bike, not so good for upright riding on a scooter.
+1

I've had a chrome bag for years, I use it for cycling a lot. I've used it on my scooter for long enough (and on long enough rides) to know they're not designed for the more upright position you have on the scooter, it's designed to distribute the weight across your back when you're in a more tucked position, upright it just pulls at your shoulder. I would recommend the chrome or ortleib roll top backpacks. those are niiiice.
Looking for ppl to ride with in LA.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

desmolicious wrote:I use Timbuk2 - excellent and made in San Francisco!

I have two Timbuk 2s and like them both. Definitely more durable than many other bags I own.

Though I don't have a custom bag from them, their options are great and you can get one for as much as some other premium brands. The reflective materials are quite good.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
enzomatic

Post by enzomatic »

ericalm wrote:
desmolicious wrote:I use Timbuk2 - excellent and made in San Francisco!

I have two Timbuk 2s and like them both. Definitely more durable than many other bags I own.

Though I don't have a custom bag from them, their options are great and you can get one for as much as some other premium brands. The reflective materials are quite good.
timbuk 2s are pretty good, I find chrome to have a better build quality though. timbuk 2s have better distribution so you're more likely to get a good deal on one. Like say at an REI used gear sale.
Looking for ppl to ride with in LA.
Wheelz

Post by Wheelz »

desmolicious wrote:
What is crap about them? I'm happy with mine and have used it for several years now with no issues. Still looks great, no signs of wear.

For what I used them for, I never had one last more than a couple months, without the strap fraying, a seam wearing out, or a buckle breaking. I'm sure they are fine for a laptop bag or whatever, but for me they didn't quite cut it.
"Hey You, yeah, all you'se thoughts, specially you, creepy wierd one in the corner, Screw you guys, I'm going for a ride..."
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Wheelz wrote:
desmolicious wrote:

For what I used them for, I never had one last more than a couple months, without the strap fraying, a seam wearing out, or a buckle breaking. I'm sure they are fine for a laptop bag or whatever, but for me they didn't quite cut it.
What are you using them for?!

I'm pretty hard on my bags and overstuff the heck out of them. I've had several come apart but not the Timbuk 2. Granted, the full-size I don't use often and the smaller one is for cameras and such when I ride.

I don't think they're quite as sturdy as the Chrome, though.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Wheelz

Post by Wheelz »

I don't use them for anything anymore, I have my fabulous Chromes that have not worn out in years....... :P
JK. I was a messenger, and for that kind of stuff, constantly opening and closing, taking on and off, and stuffing it quite full over and over again, the Timbuks never cut it for me.

I will take back the "crap" comment, Timbuks are fine bags, but if you are comparing them to a Chrome, well then, they just don't cut it.
sleepscoot

Post by sleepscoot »

Another vote for Reload here. Everyone I know who owns one says they're indestructible, which is a lot better than the Timbuk2 I had. A strap broke within a week of getting it, the liner eventually frayed, the base ended up splitting/cracking, and my stuff would get wet through the back zipper. I did use it for 9 years though before I became too embarrassed to have such a ratty bag on my back and threw it out.

Oh, yeah--the seams also ended up splitting so my stuff kept falling out of the main compartment and one of the pockets that shared the same seam. Suppressed memories. I hated that bag. I did like the padded laptop compartment and loved that red key holder strap though.

I wanted a Reload for years before getting one last month. The one-handed strap adjustment is lovely. Not recommended, but I've totally done it while riding.
Reesh

Post by Reesh »

I have a chrome bag that I absolutely love-- use it on my bike and my scooter!

It has been through all manner of weather conditions and has always kept my laptop and clothes dry. The best part is probably how comfortable it is to wear. I often take mine when I travel as my carry-on. I would highly recommend them, worth every penny!
2010 Buddy SI 150 RIP "Peapod"
2009 Vespa GTS 250 Super "Peapod the White" back and more powerful than ever!
2007 Trek Pilot 5.0
2008 Gary Fisher Supercaliber
2003 Toyota Corolla LE
remhed

Post by remhed »

Kind of late to the discussion...

I am a big fan of Duluth Pack. They have a messenger bag:
http://duluthpack.com/school-campus/bac ... r-bag.html

I have one of their portfolios that i wear on the scoot. When I bought it I wasn't scooting and might have gotten something different but it works OK for my 7 mile commute.
Steve Johnson
Carmel, In
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

I ran across this today and remember seeing some mention of these bags here. I've never used a chrome bag before so I have no opinion on them at all. Just passing along some savings.

http://www.chromebagsstore.com/
Coupon code: ibike2011

I'm fairly sure that this is for today only. I don't plan on purchasing any, so I haven't tried it myself. Enjoy if it works!

edit: Oh, I forgot to mention, it's 50% off.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

Lostmycage wrote:I ran across this today and remember seeing some mention of these bags here. I've never used a chrome bag before so I have no opinion on them at all. Just passing along some savings.

I'm fairly sure that this is for today only. I don't plan on purchasing any, so I haven't tried it myself. Enjoy if it works!

DUDE!!! Now you tell me :cry:

jonlink

Post by jonlink »

Lostmycage wrote:I ran across this today and remember seeing some mention of these bags here. I've never used a chrome bag before so I have no opinion on them at all. Just passing along some savings.

Oh, well. I just tried this code and no dice. Picked a handsome bag, popped the code in, clicked "apply" and then got an error message, "Coupon code 'ibike2011' is not valid."

EDIT: through the power of google I discovered this code was only good for the 23rd (yesterday). Dang.
I didn't need to spend the money anyway... yeah that's it... I'll just keep telling myself that...
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Ahh well. I guess it was leftover from yesterday. Apparently it was still working when I posted. Sorry I didn't see that sooner. :(
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.